Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Opinions on Store backup needed!!

With the forums going down this weekend I figure I will start (and hopefully finish) backing up my store content. I just installed the S3S browser thanks to the Crinrict team :)

If I save the sims3paks currently in my downloads folder can I just start from there or should I delete all the content in the downloads folder?

I thought about doing a completely clean install with the help of Hollowness Devours list... What do I delete to remove the content I have in game?

I haven't done this before so opinions are welcome!!

Comments

• Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    edited August 2014
    To remove the content you have in the game, simply either move your current The Sims 3 folder out of your Documents folder, or rename it to something like Old Sims 3. Then open the Launcher and start a new game; the game will create a new Sims 3 folder. Just exit without starting a new town, and you'll have a pristine Sims 3 folder in Documents and you can start downloading and reinstalling your store content.

If you move your options.ini file from the old Sims 3 folder to the new one, it will transfer over all your settings (graphics, screen resolution, etc.) so it'll save you some work. If you use mods, you might want to go ahead and either move the Mods folder over, or recreate one with the framework from MTS (download link found on http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Installing_Sims_3_Package_Files/Setup_and_Files ) and install fresh copies of your mods. If you have game saves you want to keep, move the Saves folder to somewhere safe on your desktop (I have a Sims 3 Stuff folder on my desktop where I keep things that I don't want in my game folder). If you've got any builds that you've created and saved to the Bin but haven't uploaded to your Studio, you might want to do that first if you want to use them again in your game. Once you've moved your option.ini, protected your important saves, and taken care of mods, then you should be able to delete the Old Sims 3 folder.

I'm also in the process of backing up my store content, then planning to do a clean folder install. What I'm doing is downloading by category and putting each category in separate folders; Worlds (including Exchange worlds that I play), Exchange Lots (favorite builds from folks I trust), Venues, Sets (by category), Build/Buy individual items (things that aren't in sets) and CAS (sets and items). That way, when I do reinstall I can do each category separately and just a few at a time since too many items installed at once can cause issues I've heard.

If you can easily identify the packs in your Downloads folder and recognize what they are so you don't download them twice, there should be no problem, otherwise you might be better off going ahead and deleting them and just downloading them again. Your call. I've also heard that if you keep too many items in your Downloads folder after installing that can also slow down the game, so I usually try to archive items right after installing.

It takes a while, but can often resolve any niggling little issues that might be hanging around in your game. Also, if you have too many saves in your Saves folder that can slow down game loading, so it's a good idea to either delete the saves or archive them to a separate spot on your computer or even to a flash drive (after you do the store backup, you can put those files on a flash drive and keep them with your disks or some other safe place if you have to do a full restore).

Someone else might have some other (and better) suggestions, but this is just how I've been working it. I haven't heard of that S3S Browser -- might have saved me some work but I'm already in the middle of downloading (the store was acting up earlier today probably because everyone was buying the new venue 8) ).
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    Katty0Katty0 Posts: 3,907 Member
    edited August 2014
    The S3S browser is awesome... It showed me lots of things I didn't know I didn't have. I am using it as a checklist to make sure I get everything.

I appreciate your opinion! It sounds like a great way to get a nice clean install, with no doubles. My only hesitation is I have some lots and sims I have downloaded from others and I don't want to lose them.

Do you know what folders those are in?

The settings is a good thing to know.
    I am in the process of going through my favorites on here and saving them in a folder. When I am done it will have subfoloders for store content (with subfolders), mods, user created content, custom content (I have one shelf lol, but I may get more), and saves (I only leave the save for the game I am playing in the sims3 folder.)

I like your way I just don't want to lose any user lots. I guess I can go in game and write down the names of each I use and find them again.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Stilljustme2 you may have one more item to download ;)
  • Options
    strangeseraphstrangeseraph Posts: 369 Member
    edited August 2014
    Tip: If you do have duplicates in your downloads folder, they will have (#) at the end of their name (in windows anyways). That you can search the folder for and find all your duplicates: ie, thispackexample(1).package
    Jenny

Doop Dee Doop
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    edited August 2014
    Library Folder should have the lots you've downloaded and saved; you might want to go ahead and download them again to make sure you have clean copies (in case the creator made any changes; I know I had some lots CK213 created that I had to re-download because of a routing error that he later caught).

Oh, and one good reason to install in groups; if you install the sets first, you might find a lot of individual items that you don't have to back up and re-install because they're part of sets. That's especially the case if you've gotten any sets through Complete a Set (if you haven't already done so, go to all the individual set pages and see if you have enough items to download an entire set for free; that's how I got most of my sets).

Thanks for the gift by the way -- muchly appreciated. :mrgreen:
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    No problem I appreciate the advice!!

I usually start with compilations then sets then any individual items that are left.

That is where the S3S is invaluable!

Thanks for the tip strangeseraph I will look into that!