Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

So now I can't save a sim in the CAS Demo due to her name?

Really? I named her Patsy Finnegan.... Apparently, Finnegan is not permitted? Seriously??? What is the logic for this? I've never had a Sims game not permit me to use a common last name. It said if I didn't change the name, I would not be able to upload her to the Gallery. (I had no intention of uploading her, but still....) I just have to laugh at EA!

Mylita
No friends requests, please.

Comments

• Options
    PhantomflexPhantomflex Posts: 3,607 Member
    edited August 2014
    If I remember, CAS has a word filter so that you can't upload sims with "offensive" names to the Gallery - even if you have no intentions of doing so. I'm not even sure why your sim's name was rejected. :(
  • Options
    ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    edited August 2014
    I don't understand? Surely that's a glitch that needs to be reported? That can't be normal.
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    If I remember, CAS has a word filter so that you can't upload sims with "offensive" names to the Gallery - even if you have no intentions of doing so.
    Ok, and how is Finnegan an offensive name? Unless EA really hates the Irish or something? :lol:
  • Options
    Jdavij20033Jdavij20033 Posts: 2,054 Member
    edited August 2014
    ebuchala wrote:
    If I remember, CAS has a word filter so that you can't upload sims with "offensive" names to the Gallery - even if you have no intentions of doing so.
    Ok, and how is Finnegan an offensive name? Unless EA really hates the Irish or something? :lol:

:lol::lol: And that in itself is offensive! :lol::lol:
    rifJadC.png
  • Options
    PhantomflexPhantomflex Posts: 3,607 Member
    edited August 2014
    ebuchala wrote:

I have no idea. Even the word filter on this forum is crazy. You can't even say r.e.h.a.s.h or v.a.s.e.s. :lol:

ETA: ****** / *****

See? :lol:
  • Options
    kirby356kirby356 Posts: 4,607 Member
    edited August 2014
    ebuchala wrote:

I have no idea. Even the word filter on this forum is crazy. You can't even say r.e.h.a.s.h or v.a.s.e.s. :lol:

• Options
    AoralysAoralys Posts: 572 Member
    edited August 2014
    I've seen some pretty harsh word sensors on other games before. Often times Jewel can't be used as a name because of the start of the word. And I haven't been able to use my current username in games before because it has the word "oral" imbedded in it. I can only imagine that the sensor is being super-sensitive about the middle of her last name. Hopefully you can report it, and maybe they will ease up a bit on it when the game is released.
  • Options
    kirby356kirby356 Posts: 4,607 Member
    edited August 2014
    kirby356 wrote:
    ebuchala wrote:

LMAO you really can't say vases. So stupid.

You can't say rehash because it contains that word hash in it, which is a drug (barely). Yet you can flat out say the direct term for the drug; Weed. :lol:
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    ebuchala wrote:

:lol::lol: And that in itself is offensive! :lol::lol:
    :lol: Yeah, no kidding.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    ebuchala wrote:

Well, h.a.s.h. can refer to the drug, of course so anything with that word in it gets censored. V.a.s.e.s.--I got nothing. I've seen a couple of other really strange ones. I think they're automatic censor is on drugs, to be honest.
  • Options
    SincerboxSincerbox Posts: 2,279 Member
    edited August 2014
    I think it has to do with censored words embedded within other words.

For example, I encountered a problem with the TS2 name for the Calientes' mother.

Her name was B.e.🐸🐸🐸🐸.r. Al Mahmoud. There are four letters in the middle of her name that are a censored word so the whole name gets censored.
    Origin ID: Barbara917
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Aoralys wrote:
    I've seen some pretty harsh word sensors on other games before. Often times Jewel can't be used as a name because of the start of the word. And I haven't been able to use my current username in games before because it has the word "oral" imbedded in it. I can only imagine that the sensor is being super-sensitive about the middle of her last name. Hopefully you can report it, and maybe they will ease up a bit on it when the game is released.

Ok, seriously, can someone please spell out for me what word in the middle of Finnegan would be censored? I am not seeing anything.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    ebuchala wrote:

Ok, seriously, can someone please spell out for me what word in the middle of Fin*nega*n would be censored? I am not seeing anything.

I think that's what it doesn't like.
  • Options
    SincerboxSincerbox Posts: 2,279 Member
    edited August 2014
    ebuchala wrote:
    Ok, seriously, can someone please spell out for me what word in the middle of Finnegan would be censored? I am not seeing anything.

I think everyone agrees that these censors are defective and that this example appears to be a mistake. However, I have wondered about another possibility. You know how there cannot be two identical email addresses? If one you want has been taken you have to choose another? I was wondering how The Gallery handles identical Sim names? If you have the CAS demo can there be multiple Ollie Perdues in The Gallery? Or multiple Julia Roberts and so forth?
    Origin ID: Barbara917
  • Options
    BBadictBBadict Posts: 282 Member
    edited August 2014
    I'm surprised my last name wasn't blocked honestly. My last name seems more iffy than a traditional Irish last name.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    edited August 2014
    Sounds like a glitch. You should report this in the feedback at the top of the page.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Aoralys wrote:
    ebuchala wrote:

Ok, seriously, can someone please spell out for me what word in the middle of Fin*nega*n would be censored? I am not seeing anything.

dumbfounded.jpg
  • Options
    kovu0207kovu0207 Posts: 6,209 Member
    edited August 2014
    Aoralys wrote:
    ebuchala wrote:

Well that makes no sense at all, or else you wouldn't be able to write negative

Also nega is nothing like word it just happens to sound like.
    kovu0207ver2.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Sincerbox wrote:
    ebuchala wrote:

I think everyone agrees that these censors are defective and that this example appears to be a mistake. However, I have wondered about another possibility. You know how there cannot be two identical email addresses? If one you want has been taken you have to choose another? I was wondering how The Gallery handles identical Sim names? If you have the CAS demo can there be multiple Ollie Perdues in The Gallery? Or multiple Julia Roberts and so forth?
    Yes, there can. There are multiples of A LOT of sims in the gallery--celebrities and non-celebs. And occasionally someone uploads the same person repeatedly (I think they tweak them and then upload them again).
  • Options
    haveagreendaysdhaveagreendaysd Posts: 223 Member
    edited August 2014
    Perhaps the word v.a.s.e.s is censored because it can sometimes be associated with weed as well? I've seen it a couple of times online, enough to where I think there's a veeerrrryyyy subtle connection. Still ridiculous to censor it though. I mean really, 1 out of like 100K people would probably associate that word with the weed connection, so it's kinda silly. :roll:

Finnegan, the only thing I can think of that can be censored in that one is in the middle "n.e.g.a". I guess it sounds too much like a much more offensive word (I assume you can figure out which one I mean) and enough people have written that word in association with the offensive word to make it censored. Again, really stupid to block that name. I would report that and ask them why it's offensive...see what the developers have to say about it. :lol:
    Feel like friending me in the TS4 gallery? Search for "StephyDee" and look for the random goof who talks about machinima and plum knows what else. ;)

If this worked, you'd be seeing an awesome siggy I made down there *points down*. *sigh* C'est la vie...
    VKGV8Ww.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    kovu0207 wrote:

Well that makes no sense at all, or else you wouldn't be able to write negative

Also nega is nothing like word it just happens to sound like.

It's very possible that I'm wrong, and it really is just a glitch, but like I said, I have come across some VERY sensitive word sensors for publicly available shared content. I hope that is not the case, because it makes sharing content very annoying.
  • Options
    MarLin114MarLin114 Posts: 1,724 Member
    edited August 2014
    It's possible that there is already a Sim named Patsy Finnegan already saved to the Gallery.

It might not have anything to do with censoring? Maybe.

a.k.a. - Linda
  • Options
    MylitaMylita Posts: 4,447 Member
    edited August 2014
    I have reported it on the Demo thread. I can write nega here and nothing happens..... The forum doesn't object to Finnegan either. So, I don't see how Finnegan is objectionable to the Gallery. Just too silly for words.

Mylita

Edited to add: MarLin114, as noted by ebuchala, "Yes, there can. There are multiples of A LOT of sims in the gallery--celebrities and non-celebs. And occasionally someone uploads the same person repeatedly (I think they tweak them and then upload them again)."
    No friends requests, please.
  • Options
    UtaDagdaUtaDagda Posts: 1,556 Member
    edited August 2014
    I wonder if it would allow me to use the name Ka ssidy....Since it has as s. Or Tas hita....Because of sh it.
    Love The Sims? SIMMERSE YOURSELF. Join our community.
    I gave up singing. Sorry.
    Here have my luchADORE to cheer you up.
    luchad.pngluucha.gif
  • Options
    deibreakdeibreak Posts: 386 Member
    edited August 2014
    I made Buffy the vampire slayer and her friends and named the household "Buffy and The Scooby Gang" and it let me put that at first, then when I tried to change the "and" to "&" it acted like yours did. It let me put up the word gang but not an &??? lmao :lol: