May 23rd - It's time for a new Laundry List! You can read more on what's coming next here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why Sims 4 So Expensive

Comments

• Options
    Simmerfreak44Simmerfreak44 Posts: 1,641 New Member
    edited July 2014
    ?

Beats me, It kinda annoyed me that it's not like $40 like The Sims 3 was when it came out!
  • Options
    AthenaOnyxAthenaOnyx Posts: 3,923 Member
    edited July 2014
    Because EA likes money.

The long answer: They release for a gawdawful price and then wait until sales slow down then they drop the price.

Sims3 was actually $50. I remember because I was one of the idiots who bought it the day it came out.
  • Options
    AnthonoAnthono Posts: 904 New Member
    edited July 2014
    Enough people out there prepared to buy it simply because it has "The Sims" logo on it.
  • Options
    AhhhMyGodddAhhhMyGoddd Posts: 36
    edited July 2014
    They Need Help
  • Options
    UtaDagdaUtaDagda Posts: 1,556 Member
    edited July 2014
    Aren't most games today at that price?
    Love The Sims? SIMMERSE YOURSELF. Join our community.
    I gave up singing. Sorry.
    Here have my luchADORE to cheer you up.
    luchad.pngluucha.gif
  • Options
    pguidapguida Posts: 7,481 Member
    edited July 2014
    Anthono wrote:
    Enough people out there prepared to buy it simply because it has "The Sims" logo on it.

That's why they believe they can release a lesser game for a much higher price.
  • Options
    finefashionistafinefashionista Posts: 168 Member
    edited July 2014
    I don't think it is that expensive? I've preordered at £25 (about $42) which is less than I've paid for a lot of games on release day - I remember the last 'new' game I bought, GTA V, being about £38 ($64).

I'd happily have paid up to £40 and would probably have paid more if pushed - I'm really looking forward to this game.
  • Options
    Pandia101Pandia101 Posts: 175 Member
    edited July 2014
    I don't think it is that expensive? I've preordered at £25 (about $42) which is less than I've paid for a lot of games on release day - I remember the last 'new' game I bought, GTA V, being about £38 ($64).

I'd happily have paid up to £40 and would probably have paid more if pushed - I'm really looking forward to this game.

Well, GTA V is well worth $64 in my opinion because its a full game, it works well, and the style is gorgeous. The Sims 4 is more than that and doesn't offer half of what it could.. Logic?
  • Options
    finefashionistafinefashionista Posts: 168 Member
    edited July 2014
    Pandia101 wrote:
    Well, GTA V is well worth $64 in my opinion because its a full game, it works well, and the style is gorgeous. The Sims 4 is more than that and doesn't offer half of what it could.. Logic?

The logic is that's personal opinion - I'm perfectly happy to accept the Sims 4 is not a remake of the Sims 3.

It is a full game, the style is my favourite of all the series so far and sure, they took a couple of bits out - but personally that doesn't bother me, I'm staying open minded and looking forward to the new features rather than fretting over pools, toddlers and whatever else people are having kittens over.
  • Options
    MySugaCubeMySugaCube Posts: 57 Member
    edited July 2014
    I didn't buy it when it first came out but i am pretty sure when sims 3 first came out in australia it was $100. right now the price for limited edition is $89.95, premium edition is $99.95, while the collectors edition is $129.95, so nothing much has really changed
  • Options
    Sirjohn4420Sirjohn4420 Posts: 421 Member
    edited July 2014
    Pandia101 wrote:

The logic is that's personal opinion - I'm perfectly happy to accept the Sims 4 is not a remake of the Sims 3.

It is a full game, the style is my favourite of all the series so far and sure, they took a couple of bits out - but personally that doesn't bother me, I'm staying open minded and looking forward to the new features rather than fretting over pools, toddlers and whatever else people are having kittens over.

No its a remake of sims 2 so they are going backwards and they took out more than a few things 35 different things.But agree that EA is money hungry now.I still find it funny they take out pools and toddlers and we get a cupcake machine that no one asked for.
    2v9ekhx.gif
  • Options
    AthenaOnyxAthenaOnyx Posts: 3,923 Member
    edited July 2014
    Maybe all games are that expensive nowadays but I don't buy them until they're around $40 and that's only if I really want them. I believe I can wait for sims4 so I'm thinking I'll wait until it's $30 or until I win the lottery or marry the actor who plays Alcide on True Blood.
  • Options
    colton147colton147 Posts: 9,663 Member
    edited July 2014
    The Sims 4 is expensive, because it is worth it. :D
  • Options
    kovu0207kovu0207 Posts: 6,209 Member
    edited July 2014
    colton147 wrote:
    The Sims 4 is expensive, because it is worth it. :D

That's your opinion, many others would disagree. :)
    kovu0207ver2.jpg
  • Options
    Elf67Elf67 Posts: 1,198 Member
    edited July 2014
    No game is worth $70, especially one that appears to be rushed and gutted.
  • Options
    Jdavij20033Jdavij20033 Posts: 2,054 Member
    edited July 2014
    Because people will pay it.
    rifJadC.png
  • Options
    Jdavij20033Jdavij20033 Posts: 2,054 Member
    edited July 2014
    No its a remake of sims 2 so they are going backwards and they took out more than a few things 35 different things.But agree that EA is money hungry now.I still find it funny they take out pools and toddlers and we get a cupcake machine that no one asked for.

This is absolutely not a remake of TS2. If it were, I would definitely have preordered.
    rifJadC.png
  • Options
    Hip_RoseHip_Rose Posts: 273 Member
    edited July 2014
    I agree, this game is really expensive. And, in my opinion, it's worth it. I'm going to wait for the price to go down a bit.
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,589 Member
    edited July 2014
  • Options
    MoonbarkerMoonbarker Posts: 1,281 Member
    edited July 2014
    I don't think it's worth it for that high a price.
  • Options
    Taranatar9Taranatar9 Posts: 1,062 Member
    edited July 2014
    UtaDagda wrote:
    Aren't most games today at that price?

Yes. Most aren't this obviously rushed and unfinished though.
  • Options
    gravyfloodgravyflood Posts: 13 New Member
    edited July 2014
    AthenaOnyx wrote:
    The long answer: They release for a gawdawful price and then wait until sales slow down then they drop the price.

Yes, price drops are used to stimulate sales. You'll find this applies to most if not all goods and services. What's indefensible about another supplier of goods doing this?
  • Options
    Im0003Im0003 Posts: 679 Member
    edited July 2014
    Rflong7 wrote:
    ^This^

And if it's really that bad, give it a few months for a couple of EPs to come out and patches. The price should've dropped and you can buy it?

• Options
    MALAiA46MALAiA46 Posts: 1,436 Member
    edited July 2014
    The sims games cost like a pair of good sneakers would cost. So that is a descent price for a game and plus they probably spend a lot of money already making the game itself!
  • Options
    Aesir26Aesir26 Posts: 304 Member
    edited July 2014
    It doesn't seem to be any more expensive than any other brand new Triple A game out there. On Origin (NA version, at least) it's $60 for the standard edition. To buy the disk in store it is more expensive ($70) but that was the same price at my local EB Games/Gamestop for iNFamous: Second Son.

Obviously not all games are more expensive now but I think this is probably going to be a trend as production costs for major titles goes up.