Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does Anyone Else Find it Ironic

They market TS4 as offering the most diverse sims ever... while making all teens, young adults, adults, and elders the exact same height with few distinguishing features.

They market TS4 as offering more indepth stories... while removing story progression.

The reality just doesn't seem to mesh well with their marketing strategy.
"UR" is NOT a word, it's the sound stupid people make when they try to spell "You are".

Comments

• Options
    naomehnaomeh Posts: 367 Member
    edited July 2014
    Probably because they were going a different route with the game, but at the last minute decided to switch gears and attempt to nab the sales in their old Sims playerbase when they already had a drastically different game to work with. Can't scrap everything, but can't change much.

So they're basically desperately trying to say "Please still buy it! It has this! It's not that, but it's good enough! Right? Right? Hah, you're so gonna buy it anyways."

Pfft. :roll:
  • Options
    amm13706amm13706 Posts: 78
    edited July 2014
    Contradictory but not ironic. Irony would be most diverse sims and getting sims who look the same after a few generations of mixing.
  • Options
    netguystevenetguysteve Posts: 470 Member
    edited July 2014
    amm13706 wrote:
    Contradictory but not ironic. Irony would be most diverse sims and getting sims who look the same after a few generations of mixing.

Which might, quite possibly, be the case. Hopefully, the randomly generate sims that replace townies (instead of actually breeding new sims using existing sims) will keep enough random DNA coming into the pool to prevent this, but who knows. This is definitely something that can't be seen until the game has been played extensively for a few generations.

"UR" is NOT a word, it's the sound stupid people make when they try to spell "You are".
  • Options
    MoonbarkerMoonbarker Posts: 1,281 Member
    edited July 2014
    Lol yeah. Plus they said (their words, not mine) that they are focusing more on the Sims themselves. Yet they completely removed toddlers. A toddler is a sim.. Lol.
  • Options
    SusiechanSusiechan Posts: 3,034 Member
    edited July 2014
    naomeh wrote:
    Probably because they were going a different route with the game, but at the last minute decided to switch gears and attempt to nab the sales in their old Sims playerbase when they already had a drastically different game to work with. Can't scrap everything, but can't change much.

So they're basically desperately trying to say "Please still buy it! It has this! It's not that, but it's good enough! Right? Right? Hah, you're so gonna buy it anyways."

Pfft. :roll:

Bingo :thumbup: :thumbup:
  • Options
    alyssasim87alyssasim87 Posts: 1,277 Member
    edited July 2014
    Yeah and taking toddlers out takes away a lot of story possibilities as well. No more stories with little toddlers in it. From now on parents will raise babies into children who will become teens that are the same hight as their parents.
    my origin id is simkitten87

Im a simmer forever <3
  • Options
    Kim5496Kim5496 Posts: 1,261 Member
    edited July 2014
    Does anyone else feel like they just threw then last 14 years in our faces and are basically saying "Yeah, we can do whatever we want. If it says Sims on it they will buy it."
    My prediction is this game is going to flop so badly they won't even bother to release all the SPs and EPs they have planned. :/
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Kim5496 wrote:
    Does anyone else feel like they just threw then last 14 years in our faces and are basically saying "Yeah, we can do whatever we want. If it says Sims on it they will buy it."

It's up to us, as a fan base, to disprove this statement. If people do, indeed, rush out and buy TheSims4 in mass numbers it will prove the theory. If people do happily line up yelling, "Take my money!", when they add pools, toddlers, or other historically base game content, it will tell them, "Yep! It's perfectly fine to remove base game content that's been there 14 years and then charge us extra to put it back!"
    Kim5496 wrote:
    My prediction is this game is going to flop so badly they won't even bother to release all the SPs and EPs they have planned. :/

I hope it doesn't flop quite that badly. They need numbers to be down enough to send a clear message, but a total flop would be bad indeed. A total flop would likely not only cause the series to go on an extended hiatus (if not ended completely), but would most likely hasten the defunding of support for The Sims 3.

Do I think they need a wake up call? Definitely. Do I want to see a total product flop? Not at all.
  • Options
    SusiechanSusiechan Posts: 3,034 Member
    edited July 2014
    Kim5496 wrote:

It's up to us, as a fan base, to disprove this statement. If people do, indeed, rush out and buy TheSims4 in mass numbers it will prove the theory. If people do happily line up yelling, "Take my money!", when they add pools, toddlers, or other historically base game content, it will tell them, "Yep! It's perfectly fine to remove base game content that's been there 14 years and then charge us extra to put it back!"
    Kim5496 wrote:

I hope it doesn't flop quite that badly. They need numbers to be down enough to send a clear message, but a total flop would be bad indeed. A total flop would likely not only cause the series to go on an extended hiatus (if not ended completely), but would most likely hasten the defunding of support for The Sims 3.

Do I think they need a wake up call? Definitely. Do I want to see a total product flop? Not at all.

Bioware learnt their lessons from Mass Effect 3 fiasco. I think Maxis needs one so that they can learn their lessons too :wink: .
  • Options
    delonarieldelonariel Posts: 615 New Member
    edited July 2014
    Moonbarker wrote:
    Lol yeah. Plus they said (their words, not mine) that they are focusing more on the Sims themselves. Yet they completely removed toddlers. A toddler is a sim.. Lol.

Exactly. They're just spewing out whatever they think will make the most people buy the game, never mind how self-contradicting they sound.
  • Options
    fritomefritome Posts: 36
    edited July 2014
    i dont want it to flop completely but just enough to get their attention and have them say ok the buyers have had enough and we need to do better. probably wont happen but it needs to.
  • Options
    Cyron43Cyron43 Posts: 8,055 Member
    edited July 2014
    Kim5496 wrote:
    I think so too. Most Simmers who are all fond of TS4 think they get toddlers, pools, story progression and whatnot with EPs but if the sales figures fall way below the expectations there will be no EPs at all and it may very well happen that the whole TS4 thing will die.
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    fritome wrote:
    i dont want it to flop completely but just enough to get their attention and have them say ok the buyers have had enough and we need to do better. probably wont happen but it needs to.

Exactly
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Cyron43 wrote:
    Most Simmers who are all fond of TS4 think they get toddlers, pools, story progression and whatnot with EPs but if the sales figures fall way below the expectations there will be no EPs at all and it may very well happen that the whole TS4 thing will die.

I actually don't want to see these things come back in EPs. If they do come back in EPs, I hope the sales numbers are abysmal. Forking out money for previous base game content sends a clear message, and you can bet any future incarnations of The Sims will be stripped down even further.

It would be different if the base game price was reduced and then you basically paid ala carte for the features you want, but that's not the case here. The base game price is higher than any previous versions, even accounting for inflation. Paying a premium price for less features and then paying additional money above that for previously included features is just not acceptable in my book.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    I hear you netguysteve, but we won't get those things with the base game. That's for sure. I we don't get them with EPs then we'll never get them. Anyway I will not buy TS4 for several reasons (also because of what you said). So I don't really care.
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    Ze_Blue_PandaZe_Blue_Panda Posts: 351 Member
    edited July 2014
    I think the part about in-depth stories is up to you as the player. They just made the sims more expressive so you can create your own story your way.

I don't know why people are upset about no SP when back then, y'all hated SP and used mods. It was mods that you loved, not EA's SP.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    @Ze_Blue_Panda: The way SP could work (theoretically) in TS4 would not necessarily be the same as in TS3. It's not as if they took the code of TS3 and just changed here and there.
    I am all for comparison between TS3 and TS4 content wise but not game engine wise.
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    edited July 2014
    Susiechan wrote:
    Bioware learnt their lessons from Mass Effect 3 fiasco. I think Maxis needs one so that they can learn their lessons too :wink: .
    I really dont believe it was Bioware, it was EA. BW just got stuck having to conform to EAs demands. I would guess that it's nice when you have an influx of funds coming in for game dev because of big corp investors. Not so nice when you have to accede to their demands (frequently time constraints, I imagine) because of the money. EA pushed it with ME3 and they're still seeing some backlash from that.

It will be interesting to see both how TS4 performs and how fans respond to it after it's actually released.
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Cyron43 wrote:
    I hear you but we won't get those things with the base game. That's for sure. I we don't get them with EPs then we'll never get them. Anyway I will not buy TS4 for several reasons (also because of what you said). So I don't really care.

If the initial numbers are in the right range, then that may not be the case. Case in point is the outcry for offline play in Sim City. They flat out said that due to the level of simulation it was impossible to create an offline numbers. The fan base continued to cry out for it. Sure enough, they found a way to make it happen, and they did so in a patch, not an expansion pack.

They could have just as easily made it a "feature" of the expansion pack they released, but the message was clearly sent that this was not acceptable to the fanbase.

Keep in mind as well, historically there have been features in EPs for The Sims which were subsequently patched into the base game for everyone. The Basement Tool comes to mind.

If they release say... pools, as part of an "Outdoor Fun" EP (or whatever), there is always the possibility they will later be patched in for everyone. This is particularly true if the sales numbers are lower than their projected targets. It will depend entirely on people resisting the urge to fork over their money.
  • Options
    Nik24X7Nik24X7 Posts: 7,865 Member
    edited July 2014
    yes, I also see the irony. I also find it ironic that they removed pools, oceans, ponds, etc. yet both worlds are named for water.
    Origin ID: nik24x7
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I think the part about in-depth stories is up to you as the player. They just made the sims more expressive so you can create your own story your way.

I don't know why people are upset about no SP when back then, y'all hated SP and used mods. It was mods that you loved, not EA's SP.

No, they are not making it so you CAN create the stories, they are making it so that you HAVE to control every aspect of the story.

Yes, story progression was broken in the base game. The answer was not to remove it. The answer was to actually fix it. The fact of the matter is, they didn't fix anything at all in The Sims 4. Those features that they had problems with were simply stripped out. This INCLUDES routing. They didn't "fix" routing, they removed the need for most of the routing since sims now teleport directly between lots. There is not worldwide routing at all. Add to this the fact that the closed worlds means that they don't have to do squat with any more than 20 sims at any one time. This number comes from the fact that only 20 sims can be in the public area plus the lot you are on at any given time. Any other sims essentially don't exist at all.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    @netguysteve: I know I know and let's hope you are right but there is doubt deep down in my guts.
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    They didn't "fix" routing, they removed the need for most of the routing since sims now teleport directly between lots. There is not worldwide routing at all.
    Let me get this straight. You are talking about TS4, right? Because what you said does not imply to TS3.
    1. We all know those error trap messages about unroutable Sims somewhere else in the neighborhood (off screen).
    2. In case you have nraas SP installed and you go to map view you can see that all Sims are in fact driving or walking from point A to point B.

This mass routing is the major cause for the lag.
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Cyron43 wrote:
    They didn't "fix" routing, they removed the need for most of the routing since sims now teleport directly between lots. There is not worldwide routing at all.
    Let me get this straight. You are talking about TS4, right? Because what you said does not imply to TS3.
    1. We all know those error trap messages about unroutable Sims somewhere else in the neighborhood (off screen).
    2. In case you have nraas SP installed and you go to map view you can see that all Sims are in fact driving or walking from point A to point B.

This mass routing is the major cause for the lag.

What I am saying is they didn't take any of the issues that were broken in The Sims 3 and actually fix them. They just removed them. Instead of improving the routing algorithms, they just removed most of the need for routing by reverting to a closed world.
  • Options
    JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    edited July 2014
    I find it ironic they call this a sandbox game, play your way. When evey cut they made creative wise, story wise, gameplay wise, insurse that you play the game pretty much one way. It's my way or the highway basicly. I like highways, I can go fast, and i'm running away from this mess as fast as I can. Puting Sims in the title of this game is just plain insulting! :x

EDIT: spelling :oops: