Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why do the Simguru's keep locking threads that discuss TS3's GPU Burn?

I've noticed that everytime a thread appears that mentions TS3's GPU overheat problem the SimGuru's lock it down, as far as I know it's not against the rules to talk about a potentially severe problem, yet even on the technical discussion boards the SimGuru's won't let anyone talk about it, I want to know why?
People with graphics cards(myself included) that can easily play games like Far Cry 2, Crysis, Oblivion, Fallout 3 and even The Chronicles of 🐸🐸🐸🐸: Assault on Dark Athena on max setting find their graphics cards going into overdrive on TS3, this is a severe problem as some people have even had their cards burn out completely and have had to purchase a replacement and new high-end graphics card don't come cheap.
So why do the SimGuru's want to prevent anyone from discussing this?
raw

Comments

• Options
    GoddessNoireGoddessNoire Posts: 769 New Member
    edited July 2009
    I don't think the topic is against the rules, I believe it might just be what is getting posted. Probably a heated argument in thread, the guru's will lay down the heavey fist of lockdom. In any case, I don't think TS3 is the problem with the graphics card. People think that if they buy a nice brand new top of the line graphics card for TS3 they will get to see all the nice new beautiful pics. They will, this is true, however, people also need to remember that a power supply is much needed as well, or else your computer isn't gonna be able to handle all that graphic card.

EDIT: Or maybe it's a big conspiracy and the guru's are in on it. They don't want anyone to know about a serious flaw in the game....OMG you're like **********.......the guru's will take us out!
  • Options
    aarinaarin Posts: 7,260 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Get the fps limiter, imo. Problem sorta kinda solved.
  • Options
    Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    edited July 2009
    I don't think the topic is against the rules, I believe it might just be what is getting posted. Probably a heated argument in thread, the guru's will lay down the heavey fist of lockdom. In any case, I don't think TS3 is the problem with the graphics card. People think that if they buy a nice brand new top of the line graphics card for TS3 they will get to see all the nice new beautiful pics. They will, this is true, however, people also need to remember that a power supply is much needed as well, or else your computer isn't gonna be able to handle all that graphic card.

EDIT: Or maybe it's a big conspiracy and the guru's are in on it. They don't want anyone to know about a serious flaw in the game....OMG you're like **********.......the guru's will take us out!

I'm starting to think that the EDIT might be closer to the truth than you think, the GPU burn is definitely TS3 specific I'm not the only one who's noticed this, I search for threads on the technical discussion board and found one without even the slightest hint of an arguement and yet it was locked.

I've got the FPS limiter but I shouldn't need it, something is seriously wrong with TS3 and the SimGuru's don't want anyone to find out about it.
    raw
  • Options
    aarinaarin Posts: 7,260 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Are you going to get me killed, evil?
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Well Aarin if you can't stand the heat... (much like peoples graphics cards)
    raw
  • Options
    peaceloveharmonypeaceloveharmony Posts: 6,824 Member
    edited July 2009
    so they completely burn ? xP that really stinks and it might be worse for me cause i have a laptop (it runs great on mine though).. but is it because the computers getting heated? i have a laptop cooler if maybe that helps. sorry im not sure exactly what it is
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Thankfully my card doesn't burn out but the temperature does jump significantly higher than I'd expect from a game with TS3's graphics(but some people have had their expensive high-end graphics cards/laptops completely burn out).
    It's definitely NOT a PSU problem or that would affect all high req games, ditto for a cooling problem, the problem MUST be with TS3.
    raw
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Ahem
    raw
  • Options
    SaronaSarona Posts: 1,578 New Member
    edited July 2009
    I downloaded a program that records the temperature of my computer, the top while playing sims 3 was between 57-65 celcius. My computer averages 40-45 when doing everthing else.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    With any luck they won't lock this thread. TS3 HAS A SERIOUS PROBLEM.
    raw
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    bump
    raw
  • Options
    x0holly0xx0holly0x Posts: 412 New Member
    edited July 2009
    peaceloveharmony - where did you get that hair? its gorgeous!
  • Options
    fallenangel19910fallenangel19910 Posts: 4,432 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Really..
    This is bad...

I actually read a thread like this not to long ago.. and your right... it got deleted!
    I certainly will not be a happy customer if the're hiding something from us.. and i certainly think im not alone...

How do you know though when your graphics card is fried???
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Really..
    This is bad...

I actually read a thread like this not to long ago.. and your right... it got deleted!
    I certainly will not be a happy customer if the're hiding something from us.. and i certainly think im not alone...

How do you know though when your graphics card is fried???

Well if the game works on your system for a long period and you don't hear it's fan powering up to incredible speeds(if you card has a fan) then your computer is probably alright, but if playing TS3 keeps causing your computer to shut down and it's only TS3 that does it, then it's highly likely that TS3 is burning your graphics card and you should stop playing immediately, I think one of the forums on MTS has a couple of programs that can be used to reduce or eliminate this problem.
    raw
  • Options
    hippiedippie927hippiedippie927 Posts: 5,053 Member
    edited July 2009
    This was very odd...if I click on "quote", I get a message saying I cannot post because my account has been banned :shock: But if I click on "post reply", as you can see, everything is fine :roll: What's up with that??

Anyhoo...What is an fps limiter? And where do you get it :?:
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    anyone?
  • Options
    Tenshi3Tenshi3 Posts: 2,653 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Probably a heated argument

I had to chuckle at that 8)
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    You can find 3booter and FPSlimit here: http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php?topic=15585.0

3booter reduces crashes upon startup.

FPSlimit prevents TS3's FPS from going above 30 and so prevents it from running your graphics card on overdrive.
    raw
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Evil_One wrote:
    You can find 3booter and FPSlimit here: http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php?topic=15585.0

3booter reduces crashes upon startup.

FPSlimit prevents TS3's FPS from going above 30 and so prevents it from running your graphics card on overdrive.

Thanks so much....cause if I play for too long, my game crashes and I always thought it was from over-heating.
  • Options
    marioh99marioh99 Posts: 72 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Maybe it's a game/driver issue.

I haven't come across any overheating issues or temp problems with my GPU (but then again, I'm running an ancient 6800GT @ ultra speeds).
  • Options
    Summersethomes5Summersethomes5 Posts: 450 Member
    edited July 2009
    I only had that happen once but it was because I had other programs opened while I was playing the game now I shut down everything while the game is in progress

PS, my graphics card came with a fan so heat is not an issue but I have noticed that if I play too many families my computer starts to lag a big and I always hated that lag that happens when you enter a property and the grapics take a min or two to catch up to you.

• Options
    edited July 2009
    I think the burnout problem is usually due to graphics that are heatsink cooled instead of fan, but that's besides the point TS3 shouldn't heat up a system like that.
    raw
  • Options
    ReidaMIcheReidaMIche Posts: 157 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Omgsh. I thought it was just my computer that overheated since it's fairly new, and I'm not too used to it yet. >.>
    And not to mention shut itself off at inconvenient times when I hadn't saved for a while.

So it can like...kill your video card? :o

Shady....
  • Options
    Erica007Erica007 Posts: 480 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Does this heating problem apply to all graphics cards?
  • Options
    kawaishahikokawaishahiko Posts: 101 New Member
    edited July 2009
    What kind of crash would it be with overheating?

I have a GTX 280, and a PSU wattage of 750, and a huge case with lots of aeration grids, yet my computer freezes when I play at Sims 3 with max settings. We play at Crysis and other games with max settings with no issues at all.