Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why you should never leave your sims alone...

Screenshot-42.jpg

I ignored my sims' home lot for two in-game weeks while I was play testing a different lot in my world. All of a sudden the game camera zooms me back. Huge fire. Killed three sims (including two neighbor kids) and scorched another. Every sink and tub broken. Flies everywhere. Exhausted child failing school. Sims wetting themselves. Oh, and apparently they had some sort of block party when I wasn't looking, because there were like 15 sims on the lot at the time, not including the firefighters I had to call myself.

Comments

• Options
    5782341b77vl5782341b77vl Posts: 9,149 Member
    edited July 2014
    :^0

WOW! That's why I don't even leave them alone while I go to the bathroom! If you leave them alone for too long this happens! It's best to check on them approximately every three (Sim) days, since even the adults act like little kids. Proof once again that you can grow-up physically but not mentally! :lol:
    ...AND WASH YOUR DING-DANG HANDS!
  • Options
    ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    edited July 2014
    Everyone has such interesting games where crazy things happen. If I leave my sims alone for 5 minutes I come back to a popup box about an opportunity or a phone call for talking or asking a sim on a date. My game is determined to never go past a couple sim hours without me.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    IncredibleDesiIncredibleDesi Posts: 176 New Member
    edited July 2014
    XD Oh my gosh! Thats quite some sim day!

To prevent this, ladies and gentlemen, go onto your game settings, and set the sim autonomy to high. By doing this, your sims can take care of themselves.
    Or do the obvious choice and pause the game xD
  • Options
    thecakefiendthecakefiend Posts: 17 Member
    edited July 2014
    Sims AI is absolutely attrocious. I thought it was bad in the console version and then I finally got into the PC game. It's far worse, because the game is running the entire (huge) town at the same time, whereas in the console, it was only running one section of neighborhood (so either no neighbors or 2-3 neighboring houses at most) and the town wasn't very big. Though, I can't count the number of times in the console version I saw a Sim toddler or baby scream on the floor for hours for being hungry/stinky, or pass out cold while their parents ignored them. Nevermind that there's no way to edit the town for new baby parent NPCs so if they have no crib or kid stuff, they never will. And child services doesn't care about anybody but your kids!

Meanwhile, in the PC version, I've had my school hit by a meteor and it killed the entire elementary-grade class. Four kids, including three I cared about (two I had created and one I got from a time machine tirp)... blam, dead. Yay for Mastercontroller and playable ghosts, though I left the one townie kid dead lol.

Other than that, so far the worst I've seen is weird romance plots going on in Sims' memories when I go through their scrapbooks after switching households. One Sim got in a romantic relationship, then caught the other guy cheating, slapped him, broke up, and got into a relationship with someone else in the same house. Busy busy, and to think I missed the drama! XD

Oh, and all this is with autonomy / free will / whatever maxed out, so it's as "good" as the AI gets.
  • Options
    mangoesandlimesmangoesandlimes Posts: 2,623 Member
    edited July 2014

To prevent this, ladies and gentlemen, go onto your game settings, and set the sim autonomy to high. By doing this, your sims can take care of themselves.

They were on high autonomy! They just didn't repair any broken plumbing or call the fire dept. when the grill caught on fire. Lesson learned - put smoke alarms outdoors, too, if you've got a grill!
  • Options
    IncredibleDesiIncredibleDesi Posts: 176 New Member
    edited July 2014

They were on high autonomy! They just didn't repair any broken plumbing or call the fire dept. when the grill caught on fire. Lesson learned - put smoke alarms outdoors, too, if you've got a grill!
    O_O Where do I put it, do I just do Moveobjects on and stick it above the grill, or what :P
    XD But usually they'd try and extinguish the flames themselves..
    I'll have to keep that in mind :shock:
  • Options
    cynclacyncla Posts: 1,117 Member
    edited July 2014
    I get that pop up box thing happening too and so nothing like this ever happens for me - and I would LOVE it to LOL
    I'll have to find the box to check to turn off opportunities and go from there.
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,926 Member
    edited July 2014
    Everyone has such interesting games where crazy things happen. If I leave my sims alone for 5 minutes I come back to a popup box about an opportunity or a phone call for talking or asking a sim on a date. My game is determined to never go past a couple sim hours without me.

My game is usually like this too.

It's the exceptions to the usual rule that makes it interesting. :lol:
  • Options
    StoreAccountStoreAccount Posts: 1,504 Member
    edited July 2014
    Wow, that picture is pretty awesome! It looks like it could be a promotional picture for the game. :)
  • Options
    AmiRijoAmiRijo Posts: 677 Member
    edited July 2014

Even on automomy my sims (if I buy them the multi-tab) Will read on it and play with until they pee themselves, then play again. That one store item is so useful, yet I have to micromanage to use it. lol
    Origin ID: AmiRijo
    I signed http://www.sims2.net/pledge/
    ZfzDIiOeZzDJ6.gif
  • Options
    MinDtriKzMinDtriKz Posts: 5,441 Member
    edited July 2014
    Best picture I have seen in a long time! Too funny! Your Sims really know how to start some chaos... :lol:
  • Options
    linmayulinmayu Posts: 3 New Member
    edited August 2014
    Wow, that's insane. Well, I just left one of my female sims alone for a few sim hours during a party, and when I clicked back to her, she was finding Juan Darer from Twinbrook "very alluring," and had the First Romance and First Kiss moodlets. I think that's almost as bad as a deadly house fire...
  • Options
    mconfident69mconfident69 Posts: 1
    edited August 2014
    I have left mine alone before to go on a date and similar events happened to me. They have to be babysat all the time. lol
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    edited August 2014
    I left my sims alone once by mistake because I went off to use the washroom quickly while it was saving and came back to find I'd forgotten to pause it to save and they'd started a baby while I was away from the game.I didn't want that for them at that point because they were just moved into the tiny starter home and had no money to upgrade to a bigger lot and no savings to keep them going while they raised the baby.I ended up quitting to menu without saving and reloaded and watched them to make sure they didn't start a baby this time and they didn't.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    JayedTadaSkierJayedTadaSkier Posts: 817 Member
    edited August 2014
    Not sure what you mean by 'play testing a lot' and how you left your household alone for 2 weeks, but that's none of my business.

the ~ key is my absolute best friend playing this game. I'd be a horrible person to watch let's play on youtube because my game is paused most of the time while I try to maximize the day and make sure no other Sims do something stupid or crazy while I'm queuing up actions for another.
  • Options
    CaySedaiSimCaySedaiSim Posts: 581 Member
    I still find this hilarious.
    Member of the Own the Store Club! B)
  • Options
    ZeriZeri Posts: 15,073 Member
    yeah whenever i try to leave my sim to their own devices i always get a popup. someone called, or some opportunity came up. if i want random fires i have to start them myself :P
  • Options
    Not sure what you mean by 'play testing a lot' and how you left your household alone for 2 weeks, but that's none of my business.

the ~ key is my absolute best friend playing this game. I'd be a horrible person to watch let's play on youtube because my game is paused most of the time while I try to maximize the day and make sure no other Sims do something stupid or crazy while I'm queuing up actions for another.

I'm mostly a builder - if I'm in live mode, it's usually to test a lot to make sure everything works. I had 8 tester sims in this house while I was off fixing a community lot and I just kind if ignored the home lot for two in game weeks.
  • Options
    MiamariaMiamaria Posts: 1 New Member
    OMG Wow! How do you have a party on the rooftop with the view?
  • Options
    Sophia666Sophia666 Posts: 427 Member
    The annoying thing with sims is, even on high free will, they won't fix things (or call a repair man) themselves. Nor will they put out fires or call the fire department unless you have some brave Sims (they might do it).

Nice pic though. Shows Sims in their true form (instead of a lot of the promo material EA sends out)! :P
  • Options
    CalvinBruce_ukCalvinBruce_uk Posts: 576 Member
    Sophia666 wrote: »
    The annoying thing with sims is, even on high free will, they won't fix things (or call a repair man) themselves.

Nraas SP Skills has this option, pushes them to repair broken objects and such. ;)

• Options
    Sophia666Sophia666 Posts: 427 Member
    Sophia666 wrote: »
    The annoying thing with sims is, even on high free will, they won't fix things (or call a repair man) themselves.

Nraas SP Skills has this option, pushes them to repair broken objects and such. ;)

That is true, I'll give you that one! :P
  • Options
    chorvageechorvagee Posts: 544 Member
    Lol...maybe I should try this too just for the fun of it. :D
  • Options
    2uise2uise Posts: 74 Member
    If you have the money higher a butler he will call the police/firefighter/plumber.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Miamaria wrote: »
    OMG Wow! How do you have a party on the rooftop with the view?

I built an apartment with a rooftop deck. You can get the lot here if you'd like. And don't worry - the uploaded version does not come with the broken sinks, charred furniture, urns, or dirty dishes. ;)