Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How to stop the memory leak?

So Sims 3 has a very obvious memory leak, and I'd like to know how I'm supposed to resolve this? The leak causes my game to "hang" every couple of seconds in live mode and is more than irritating. The current bandage for this issue I've been using is restarting my game, but that's not a long term solution, and I'd like to resolve this.

For the record, I have NO mods or anything like that, pure EA content.

Also, my computer is a beast, so that's not the concern, either. I'm also running from a solid state drive, before anyone suggests that I need to defrag.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    pepperw1pepperw1 Posts: 487 Member
    edited July 2014
    You can disable the memories. Just go to options, under one of the tabs,(can't remember which one), there will be a part that says memories. Click the drop down box and choose the one to disable memories. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    AbubakrAbubakr Posts: 476 Member
    edited July 2014
    It isn't actually the sims that is producing the memory leak, it's JAVA. I had this problem last year, I can't remember the website that helped me but you can google it
  • Options
    EmeraldLadyEmeraldLady Posts: 46 Member
    edited July 2014
    pepperw1 wrote:
    You can disable the memories. Just go to options, under one of the tabs,(can't remember which one), there will be a part that says memories. Click the drop down box and choose the one to disable memories. Hope this helps.
    Yeah... not even remotely what is being discussed. I said a memory leak, not in game memories. This is a technical forum? Not a game mechanics forum...

Abubakr wrote:
    It isn't actually the sims that is producing the memory leak, it's JAVA. I had this problem last year, I can't remember the website that helped me but you can google it
    Sims doesn't run on java...

****, I just realized I made this under the Store forums like a ******... GG, moving it to the RIGHT forums. -.-;
  • Options
    bob007bob007 Posts: 10,062 Member
    edited July 2014
    A true memory leak can only be diagnosed by a programmer (usually the programmer that wrote the code) who as access to the source code. There are other problems that can mimic a memory leak. A common problem is improperly exiting a loop and not restoring the stack (very common). Parts of the game code does use a scripting language (Don't know if it's Java and it doesn't matter) that is compiled into the executable. That is how the mods interact with the program - it is a scripting code (could be Java or similar to Java). What you are describing (IMHO) is game lag. This is caused by the game code recovering from errors. This can by caused by unrouteable sims. too many cars, too many memories, and several other issues. This is less noticeable in more powerful computers (but still a problem) indicating that this is a coding problem. If it was a true memory leak the game would most likely crash but most people report the game recovers. There are mods that can help lessen this issue such as the Overwatch mod which helps quite a bit.

Nraas (who wrote the Overwatch mod and others) had a announcement that Twallan has ceased writing and supporting his mods. Somewhere on their site is posted the source code for his mods.

You and many other people would like to resolve this problem. Maybe you would like to take over where Twallan left off? That would be nice.
    I do not work for EA nor do I have any association with EA. I am a gamer helping other gamers.