Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What is a must and what is not?

HegginHeggin Posts: 69 Member
Hey World Builders :P

First of all, I'm sorry if I should be asking it somewhere else, I'm new to this section of the Forums so I don't know how things are done here.

So, to my question. Let's say I want to build a world without any roads or cars or anything. It could be a small place where the inhabitants could move around with their horses or by foot. Is that possible? Or would it make too many lags as the game should not allow that?

I also know, from my (not really good) experience so far with CaW, that I must have all rabbitholes in my world. But can I leave some of them at the end of the map so they would not be seen or reached by my Sims?

Thank you :)

Comments

• Options
    KarilynMonroe2KarilynMonroe2 Posts: 1,463 Member
    edited July 2014
    Good questions I would also like to know more about what rabbit holes are required.
    As for roadless worlds I've been told you will get terrible lag eventually but I do enjoy playing in roadless worlds, provided they are not too large and I'm using all of the best NRAAS mods to keep my game tidy.

I hope someone answers soon, because I need to figure out what rabbit holes are necessary. I have played in user made worlds with no rabbit holes and it seemed fine, sims just have to "live off the land".
    I also rarely play one game very long so I've no idea what long term issues arise.
  • Options
    Zach_BundyZach_Bundy Posts: 1,297 Member
    edited July 2014
    It's definitely possible to not put roads in a world, but I'm guessing that this works best in small worlds.

Often when NPC families cannot find jobs in rabbitholes, then they will move out of the neighborhood.

As far as rabbitholes go, I'd say that the most vital of all is the City Hall. I'm not sure about the others.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Thanks for your answers so far :)
    Zach_Bundy wrote:
    As far as rabbitholes go, I'd say that the most vital of all is the City Hall. I'm not sure about the others.

Not even School?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    The school would be second most important. Kids need to learn from somewhere.

The problem is that your world might face an identity crisis if it has certain rabbit holes that don't fit the theme.

Remember that by leaving out rabbit holes, you lose the chances of opportunity provided by them.

By asking which rabbit holes can be left out, it's like asking which limb you should sever. I don't think the game will be glitched without particular rabbitholes, but it 'll be limited. Obviously kids won't be able to go to school when there is no school. Obviously babies can't be delivered in the hospital when there is no hospital.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    If I were you I'd look at all the rabbitholes in the base game as being important.

Then, narrow it down to the ones that are most needed for certain life stages :

School
    Hospital
    City hall

After those three, the rest are career based. Ex: a sim can go their whole life and never visit a bistro, or the office tower.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I see.

Thank you for your time once again, and good luck with Tanzenberg ;)
  • Options
    juncedajunceda Posts: 2,614 Member
    edited July 2014
    Hi Heggin!

About roads I can tell you that I have made a roadless world, it Works but you have to be carefull with the distances because it takes forever for the sims going too far away and sometimes they "forget" where they were going, you can download it and give it a try and you can see how it Works

Caceres

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=7785872

original.jpg

I will give you the link to an small world without roads and almost none of the RHs, made by Nilxis it is gorgeous and works like wonder

Suvadiva Resort

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=7573197

original.jpg

You can see the way sims´ life goes without RHs, Ive played it and it is rather funny though I have to say that after a while I put the RHs on because I found it a Little limited without them
    firma_zps7hsuhx2i.png

I can play at last TS2 TS3 and TS4 So great that toddlers are here!!!
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Hi again junceda :)

I might take a look on the worlds you posted here and maybe some others that I would be able to play in.

Just wanted to ask if there are some requirements about the EPs/Custom Content that I should know about, I'm completely new to downloading worlds anyway...
    It is safe to do so, right? :-P
  • Options
    NilxisNilxis Posts: 596 Member
    edited July 2014
    My world Suvadiva Resort doesn't require any CC or Store Content, just the Base Game and Island Paradise :wink:
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Nilxis wrote:
    My world Suvadiva Resort doesn't require any CC or Store Content, just the Base Game and Island Paradise :wink:

Oh, shame I don't have Island Paradise, your world looks really nice (And so are your other ones I've managed to see so far :wink: )... Does it mean it will not feature some necessary lots or anything else?
  • Options
    sharonxyzsharonxyz Posts: 811 Member
    edited July 2014
    I've played some wonderful small/medium size world with no rabbit holes in them. It's a very enjoyable novelty! Players just have to think 'outside the box' as the game play is unique.

Two come to mind that have no Rabbit holes at all:

The Manave Islands by Rflong7

and

Yoder's Glen (an Amish world) by Catherine McCoy (her user name I think is CMcCoy, but the world is easy to find on the exchange)

I love both, as I do Nilxis' Suvadiva Resort which has limited rabbitholes (just shops and restaurants, if I recall correctly)

n.b. I mention The Manave Islands and Yoder's Glen because those two are populated. Naturally many little worlds with no population or even no buildings are do-it-yourself worlds...I love those too.

• Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited July 2014
    Hi :D

You have to have a lot- residential lot for a Sim to live.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Lots are very nice...my mistake, I've only read the rabbit hole discussion :mrgreen:

I think the smallest world I've played is Flame Island, followed by Isola, Isolation Island, Lonely Island....

Rflong, are your ears burning? :D

In fact, I've played the base game version of Lonely Island and made it a little world!! With 3 64x64 lots you can have a large household, a fun area, and a rabbit hole area (with MOO of course, to the chagrin of the horse...dontcha love stupid rhymes like that)
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited July 2014
    Lol~ they are now. :lol:

I figured everyone covered the basics of rabbitholes and whatnots. :XD:

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Heggin wrote:
    Hey World Builders :P

First of all, I'm sorry if I should be asking it somewhere else, I'm new to this section of the Forums so I don't know how things are done here.

So, to my question. Let's say I want to build a world without any roads or cars or anything. It could be a small place where the inhabitants could move around with their horses or by foot. Is that possible? Or would it make too many lags as the game should not allow that?

I also know, from my (not really good) experience so far with CaW, that I must have all rabbitholes in my world. But can I leave some of them at the end of the map so they would not be seen or reached by my Sims?

Thank you :)

Hi Original Poster! Sorry about the side discussions :) I'm not a world builder, but have played a couple hundred at least. I do know from Rflong's worlds that the answer to your first question is YES!! And second question is better answered by a builder of worlds, but lag is doubtful with what you mention and if you understand CAW which I haven't even tried to do :D And from the discussion on your thread re rabbit holes...there are no rules. Unless you use mods, I guess some spawners of fish and seeds might be helpful, but no rabbit holes required, and they cannot be gainfully employed under EA rules (but mods can change that). So if your sim has a source of food, and ways to fill their other basic needs, but you want them to be self-employed for example, you only need city hall. It's all how you play and what you want your sim(s) to do :)
  • Options
    anettesbanettesb Posts: 39,168 Member
    edited July 2014
    love the idea of a roadless world...

both for a historical world (no cars)

but also for a tropical island villages world
    🌺 streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/lady_anette 🌻come join the Sylvan legacy, and help control their life. 🌳
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    anettesb wrote:
    love the idea of a roadless world...

both for a historical world (no cars)

but also for a tropical island villages world

If you wanted to try out the tropical island village world, a wonderful world by Rflong7 is Lonely Island ~IP version. 3 big lots, a few smaller coastal lots, no roads, just paths, and dive lots (I think one is done and the others are ready to decorate). Beautiful little world, no roads.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Hey sharonxyz,

Yeah, I found Lonely Island and it is the first world I ever downloaded (except for Riverview ofc). Have your ears another round of burning, Rflong :P

This is one of the few worlds I can download because most require EPs that I don't have...

By the way - what did you mean here?
    but you want them to be self-employed for example, you only need city hall

• Options
    happyjmehappyjme Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited July 2014
    Take EA's university world for instance, doesnt have a hospital so if you have seasons and your sims get sick, you cant bring them to get the flu shot. In EA's subworlds, they figured since you cant give your sims an actual job that the rabbit holes wouldn't be needed but sometimes those objects are needed for other things, not just jobs. So some world creators either place the rabbit holes in the basement so they dont distract from the theme or hide the Luner Lakes rabbit holes somewhere.

Its a shame you dont have Island Paradise because then you can travel between unconnected land by boat and you dont need roads :)
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Heggin wrote:
    Hey sharonxyz,

Yeah, I found Lonely Island and it is the first world I ever downloaded (except for Riverview ofc). Have your ears another round of burning, Rflong :P

This is one of the few worlds I can download because most require EPs that I don't have...

By the way - what did you mean here?
    but you want them to be self-employed for example, you only need city hall

Hi! They don't need to have a job, but a sim may fixate it on a while. Ambitions, the second ep after World Adventures opened a lot of doors, job-wise! Besides the active non-rabbithole jobs like firefighter and ghostbuster, that's the expansion which let you go to city hall to register as a self-employed painter, sculptor, gardener, angler, and more; with World Adventures also photographer and nectar maker. I usually keep one or more of my sims working at home, I love when they paint and I get to keep my favorites to hang and sell the rest for their earnings.

I've become a bit of a mod junkie, and with Nraas (was Twallan)Master Controller and Master controller cheats, and with more careful knowledge, Debug Enabler, you can do pretty much anything: give your sim a self-employed job (even on a deserted island), fill the fridge, fill the bookcase with skill books...it's mind blowing, but it isn't for everyone. Some like the challenge of the hardship route; I like the benefits of no hardship and doing things such as travel and have a brand new house, things I cannot afford in real life :)
  • Options
    DiamondkoolDiamondkool Posts: 4,481 Member
    edited July 2014
    It doesn't matter. Rabbitholes or not, it's up to a creator whether they like. Lagging in roadless worlds might be due to stuck sims. For instance, some patches, in non-routable zones, are not painted as non-routable so sims will be stuck there. That's why some of Nraas mod can help with this problem. Creators will have to test their worlds to diagnose problems then solve them. The only requirement is a lot.

I am playing the Midnight Sun Challenge. The island is very isolated and has only ONE lot. I totally enjoy it and it is not lagging!

Speaking of rabbitholes, you will need to consider what your world will be like. If you want to include every element from each expansion pack, then you'll have to include rabbitholes which fulfil every job for instance. If you want sims to be self employed then you'll have to prop a city hall. When I am playing the Midnight Sun Challenge, my sims couldn't be self employed because there is no city hall. And if you want kids to be educated, you'll have to prop a school. If you want a modern world, then you'll have to add roads. The possiblities are endless!! :D
    7ef6931fe80152dcec309a30cbe73f13.png
    Click on my signature to access my tumblr blog!
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    happyjme wrote:
    Its a shame you dont have Island Paradise because then you can travel between unconnected land by boat and you dont need roads :)

My Sims would love to swim from place to place instead :)
    It could take them a whole day but they could still have some fun... Today I've actually started creating a nice world that really supports doing so :D
    sharonxyz wrote:
    ... that's the expansion which let you go to city hall to register as a self-employed painter, sculptor, gardener, angler, and more...

So does it mean a writer or a painter could not sell their creations if there is no Town Hall? Or have I completely misunderstood you? :P