Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Playing with Populated World Layers... O.O

Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,589 Member
edited March 8 in Nominated Threads
Hi :D

As most know, adding Sims to the world can be tiring- if you add extended family ties, give them skills, jobs, friends between households, remember who you wanted to do what and who was to be pregnant...

What makes it so hard is having to do it again and again between testing. We think we caught all the little glitches the first 5 tests before adding Sims but nooo- there's just one or two things(or maybe 5) that HAVE to be fixed. Which means...

We have to make a copy of the back up save and then make the corrections to the world and then add all those Sims again- adding all the little touches to them. Because re-entering EIG with a populated world can cause more problems (I've been told by people more experienced with this and I trust them).

Which leads me to think... can we copy and past the populated Global layer from the populated world to the updated/fixed world. The Global layer is where the game will place Sims added in EIG... And don't move them off that layer- I've tested that. :lol:

Will it work? Does it move them out of the house they were placed and into the map area? Will they be stuck or will it work? Has anyone read or tried anything like it? Because if it can work it's save me about 5 hours of work in CAW. :XD:

I'm trying it right now... :shock:
Post edited by EA_Solaire on

Comments

• Options
    RRArtieRRArtie Posts: 204 Member
    edited May 2014
    Rflong7 wrote:
    Hi :D

As most know, adding Sims to the world can be tiring- if you add extended family ties, give them skills, jobs, friends between households, remember who you wanted to do what and who was to be pregnant...

What makes it so hard is having to do it again and again between testing. We think we caught all the little glitches the first 5 tests before adding Sims but nooo- there's just one or two things(or maybe 5) that HAVE to be fixed. Which means...

We have to make a copy of the back up save and then make the corrections to the world and then add all those Sims again- adding all the little touches to them. Because re-entering EIG with a populated world can cause more problems (I've been told by people more experienced with this and I trust them).

Which leads me to think... can we copy and past the populated Global layer from the populated world to the updated/fixed world. The Global layer is where the game will place Sims added in EIG... And don't move them off that layer- I've tested that. :lol:

Will it work? Does it move them out of the house they were placed and into the map area? Will they be stuck or will it work? Has anyone read or tried anything like it? Because if it can work it's save me about 5 hours of work in CAW. :XD:

I'm trying it right now... :shock:

Good experiment. Let us know how it works.

I have wondered about another approach. There is a cheat "worldbuilderoutput" which puts out an xml file with all the Sims traits, jobs, etc. and some kind of a log file. There is a matching worldbulderinput cheat which is to "read a spreadsheet ..". It seems this might have been intended to fix and set all those parameters like jobs and family funds we have to adjust and could carry over from build to build.

I have searched and found no information on these cheats. Have you heard of them?
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Hi, RRArtie :D

Thanks for replying. :D

It did work but I haven't tested it long. :mrgreen:

There is still the problem of the houseboats and how the game puts the bottoms on the Global layer and transferring those will unset the boats. Which makes them not work in game...

There is the option of not having any boats but uploading some for the world. Then the players can download the boats they want and then add them to the docks.

I have read about the xml and their trying to use that to populate the world- to make ghosts and to add more information. Last I heard it didn't work. It was a modthesims but it was a few years ago. :(

I'd love to hear more information about your testing with it. :D
  • Options
    LihtarukLihtaruk Posts: 271 Member
    edited May 2014
    :shock: That great that someone discussing those things, I'm relaying on game to populate my words. Please let me ask my question here- to populate world, is there any other way than do it with mods? I don't like the idea of installing new programs for that, my laptop hardly working as it is, I'm worried it won't hold up for this. Is there way to put sims from game into world that was exported but not uploaded yet? If it's possible, where they would show up eventually? Has anyone tried this?
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Hi, Lihtaruk :)

No, I haven't heard of anything without mods. He's asking about using S3pe.

There's only two mods needed- 3 if you want to add Sims in the Bin.
    They're not like the Story Progression mod- but the Master Controller, the Master Controller Cheats (he broken the cheats out of MC a few years ago), and Porter (to import the Sims from the bin).

With only the first two you can have the game make one Sim at a time and then edit the Sim in CAS. Plus add jobs/skills/extra traits/relationships and most things for a story.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top