Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How often should a story update?

I was wondering what would be the best pace for story blog updates, from a reader's point of view. Once a week? Once every few days? How often do you like to check in on stories?

Too often would be spammy or overwhelming to catch up on, but not often enough would be boring or disappointing...

Comments

• Options
    ReyaStarckReyaStarck Posts: 181 New Member
    edited April 2014
    I would say it depends how often and how fast you can write! A good tip is to get several chapters pre-written before you start posting, and to try and keep ahead of things.

I'm sticking to a weekly update, with an interim 'behind the scenes' post just to keep peoples' interest up. Yes, my thread has always slipped down to about page 7 of the forum by the time I do my next update, but there are a lot of very busy RPs, legacies, and challenges on here, so if you stick with weekly updates you can expect to fall way back a great deal on the forum.

Personally, weekends are my time for catching up on things, so I just sit down for a couple of hours then to read. If chapters aren't too long, then I can manage about two or three for each story before I'm ready to move on.

Edited to add: Just realised from your sig that you're the writer of Stealie Nicks. I just spent a very enjoyable time reading that. Your chapter length was just right for catching up on the four that you have posted so far :)
  • Options
    kethrydrakekethrydrake Posts: 2,389 Member
    edited April 2014
    As a writer, I like to post at least once a week, usually on Sundays. I've been posting about twice a week on my important blogs. If I wind up with a huge backlog of unposted chapters, I'll post every day to clear up the backlog...
    As a reader, I check in everyday because not all writers are consistent about posting, so that way I make sure I don't miss the latest update on my favorite stories.

I would suggest you figure out what works for you, but if you do decide to post regularly, try to stick to it, even it's just a post to say why you won't be posting...
    Also, if you're posting on the forums, I would recommend to include the date of your latest update in your title, this will help people keep up with your story. I've dropped some stories simply because I had no clue when their latest chapter was posted...

• Options
    brittmrasmussenbrittmrasmussen Posts: 107
    edited April 2014
    As a reader- once a week is nice , twice a week is even nicer especially if I'm totally engrossed by the story! But we all understand life gets in the way so if you can manage once a week that's a good amount but don't beat yourself up if sometimes it doesn't happen. My favorite stories have me wanting more, more, more so I would take updates as fast as they can churn them out!

As a writer I also try and do a minimum of once a week for consistency. When I was just getting the story started I published updates every other day because I know a lot of people don't like to get into a story that's just beginning because so many writers end up giving up part way through after they start and that's never fun! I'm somewhat new to all of this so this is all just my opinion.
  • Options
    SimperatrixSimperatrix Posts: 176 Member
    edited April 2014
    Thanks for your replies, everyone! As suggested, I'd written up a batch of entries and was trying to figure out how often to schedule the publishing. It seems that the consensus is around once a week (at least).

It's very helpful to hear your specific insights. ReyaStark, thanks for the detailed perspective about when to post/read (and nice comment :) ). Kethrydrake, I appreciate your tip about updating thread titles. And Britt, I'll do my best not to give up partway through!

:D Now off to go read the stories in your siggies...