Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

After Taking Steps to Remove Bad CC, my Store harvestables are gone and their PC doesn't work

For a little over a month, I've had these counters I didn't know how to get rid of. They came with a lot on the exchange that also brought other CC. I had been able to remove all of the other CC through the Launcher except for the counters. Yesterday I discovered that those counters are malicious and wanted them gone. I followed several steps from different threads to remove them. Unfortunately, I somehow lost my store harvestables and now the store stoves aren't working.

I didn't think to check buydebug to see exactly how many of the harvestables are gone. My current Sims are farmers and all of the store harvestables dissapeared from their inventories and their gardens. So, I sent them to the grocery store and none of the fruits/veggies/etc. were available for purchase. I tried clicking on the store stoves (bakers oven and wood fire grill, I didn't check the industrial oven). I was unable to click on the ovens and got the message that no actions were available.

I think I may have done something wrong during my CC removal process.

This is an overview of what I did:
lucyvp86 wrote:
I'm going to try that method of removing your store content from the DCCache folder to see if I can find it that way. It's gotta be hiding because I've got too many things in the launcher.

Edit to add the link for anybody reading:

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/622799.page#9924916

I tried this method and was able to see the counter in the launcher. I uninstalled it and hopefully when I go in-game it will stay gone :)

Pary wrote:
Edit - also, completely deleting the contents of DCBackup will also get rid of items that you can't find the number for ( leave ccmerged )
It does mean that lots you upload wont have cc attached, and some people think that deleting this backup cache sometimes causes their store content to go missing, but I have never experienced this, and I clean mine out every time I install store content so the folder is always empty.

Is this method really safe? I've saved a copy to my desktop and deleted the original. I am afraid of both deleting and keeping the copy...

My initial test showed that nothing was wrong (but I didn't check the stoves or harvestables because my sim gave birth). So I deleted the DCBackup file and emptied my Recycle Bin.

I will try to uninstall those store items and re-install them, but am concerned that it will cause issues. Any advice will be helpful. I will post my findings after I try to re-install them.

Comments

• Options
    oXseashellXooXseashellXo Posts: 678 Member
    edited April 2014
    I deleted all of the contents of the DCBackup file, but left the empty folder. Is CCmerged a file in that folder? If it is, then yes I deleted it. Whoops.

I know of that thread and am very grateful for it, as it made me aware that the counters are malicious (not just a pain) and that's where I got my instructions on how to remove them. Though I might have followed them incorrectly... :?

I didn't use Custard to scan the lot as I didn't upload anything. I just went into the game to test it. Re-reading her post now, I realize that CCMerged is a file not a separate folder. When I originally read that, I thought she was talking about two separate folders.

Because that's gone, you think I'll need to do a factory reset? Will I be able to use my backed-up saves or will I need to toss them?