Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Packaging a Map?

I am not a creator by any means in terms of worlds and I am seriously grateful for the talent and time that you all put in to making gorgeous maps for us to play on. That said I recently downloaded a map in which I plan to build on and fill with custom lots. After I am done building on it I would like to be able to make it it's own world so that when I use the pull down menu of "worlds" it shows up, completed and I am able to start new games with it.

I assume I will need to export it and reinstall it or something? I am not sure in the slightest.

I hope that isn't too confusing.
All help is appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    kellycot1kellycot1 Posts: 2,226 Member
    edited March 2014
    If I'm understanding correctly, you've downloaded and installed another player's world, which you want to edit more in CAW/Edit in Game, then install it as a new world in your drop-down menu... right?

If that's the case, this link should help: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=469942

You'll need to find the .world file in your InstalledWorlds directory, under The Sims 3 in Document (and make sure that you have actually installed the world), then follow the process in that link. As it explains in the link, once you're done editing, you'll go to File (I think) --> Select world to export (or something to that effect) and select your world. Then you'll just need to open the launcher, go to the Exports tab, click 'Show File' on your world and then double click when it opens the file's My Documents location. It'll install the same as most Store and user-made content.

If all you want to do is place your buildings onto empty lots though, you can do that by simply installing the world and using Edit Town. On the other hand, if you want to place EMPTY lots where there are no lots, you can also use Edit Town, but I don't recommend this personally because placing a blank lot where there was no lot before can cause routing to break (which in turn causes lag).

Does that make sense?

Anyway, I hope that covered what you meant. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Good luck and happy Simming!
    a.k.a. Erin
    Check out The Simdex—my PDF guide to all of the Sims 3 Store content (last updated September 2015)
  • Options
    jessstewart88jessstewart88 Posts: 376 New Member
    edited March 2014
    You've nailed what I want to do Im just not understanding the thread.

It doesn't say anything about editing the town. I have already edited to town quite a bit and would like to install it in the drop down menu as it is.

When I find my .world files my game isn't there.

I must be total missing something.
    Thank you for the help and the link, I will continue messing with it :)
  • Options
    kellycot1kellycot1 Posts: 2,226 Member
    edited March 2014
    You've nailed what I want to do Im just not understanding the thread.

It doesn't say anything about editing the town. I have already edited to town quite a bit and would like to install it in the drop down menu as it is.

When I find my .world files my game isn't there.

I must be total missing something.
    Thank you for the help and the link, I will continue messing with it :)
    Okay, so you've edited the town in Edit Town in the game, not CAW, right?

If that's the case, as far as I know you can't install that as a .world file, because it is simply a save. Your best best if you want to use your edited version as a 'template' is to save the original to, say, your desktop and then COPY and paste it into your Sims 3 --> Saves folder each time you want to start fresh. You won't see it in the drop-down menu, but you will be able to start 'clean' each time.

That situation is exactly what led me to that thread -- I was tired of having a template save for each town, so I edited the actual world itself in CAW and exported it. So, if you want to edit the world itself, you'll need to follow the instructions in that thread of getting the world into CAW, using S3PE, and editing it from there. If you've already done a lot of Edit Town work, all you'll need to do is have those lots saved to the Library/Bin (in the game), then when you're editing the world in CAW, you'll just need to go to Edit in Game (through CAW, not by launching the game), and place the lots from there.

THEN, you'll be able to export the world with all of your changes and install it as a proper .world, which will appear in your drop-down menu at the beginning.

I hope that helps. I remember how frustrating all of this has been for me to find out on my own, piece by piece, so I hope you get it all sorted out soon! Good luck!
    a.k.a. Erin
    Check out The Simdex—my PDF guide to all of the Sims 3 Store content (last updated September 2015)
  • Options
    jessstewart88jessstewart88 Posts: 376 New Member
    edited March 2014
    Thank you so much for the help! I think for now I will take the route of just finishing the build in edit town and then using it like a template :P Thanks!! :)