Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

So ummm now your sims can't be self employed without having the ambitions expansion pack..?

Apprently the new patch has made it so your sims can't register to be self employed unless you have ambitions installed...well that nice what about starting a band or being a horseman/woman, or the alchemy career...pretty sure lifetime wishes for other expansion packs can't be completed without self employment.

I found this out after getting my sims children all grown up to adults and they formed a band, are living in Bridgeport and were about to become a super great band, BUT I GUESS I CAN'T DO THAT NOW BECAUSE THE LATEST PATCH IS SCREWED UP AND I GUESS NOW THEY'LL JUST HAVE TO BECOME POLITICIANS AND ATHLETES!

Anyway I hope that EA fixes this little problem soon because not having self employment just plain screws up your game and really, I'm not about to go out and buy the stupid ambitions expansion pack just to get that option back.

Comments

• Options
    bklienhartbklienhart Posts: 2,975 Member
    edited March 2014
    You have ALWAYS needed the Ambitions EP to be self-employed.
  • Options
    TheSimsislifeTheSimsislife Posts: 45 Member
    edited March 2014
    That's not true. I have never ever had ambitions in my game but there were still options to become self employed for other expansions for example, pets, you could become a horseman/woman, supernatural, alchemy, late night, band. I have been able to have all three of these careers (until recently)and as stated before, have never had the ambitions expansion pack in my game.
  • Options
    babygirlrhodesbabygirlrhodes Posts: 366 Member
    edited March 2014
    if you have island paradise you can be self employed diver or life guard without ambitions installed.
    short, black, & chubby.
  • Options
    kati77kati77 Posts: 3,146 Member
    edited March 2014
    That's not true. I have never ever had ambitions in my game but there were still options to become self employed for other expansions for example, pets, you could become a horseman/woman, supernatural, alchemy, late night, band. I have been able to have all three of these careers (until recently)and as stated before, have never had the ambitions expansion pack in my game.

I agree. I didn't have Ambitions, when I got Supernatural, and I was able to register my vampire as an alchemist. I only got Ambitions a couple of months later, so I definitely know I was able to play with a self employed alchemist before I got Ambitions.
    01-06-18_5-09-41%C2%A0PM_2.png

• Options
    ShadeDaystarShadeDaystar Posts: 995 Member
    edited March 2014
    I got Ambitions after I got Pets, but long ago enough that the "recent patches" weren't in effect. My Sims were never able to become Horse-Sims until after I installed Ambitions.

I don't know if bands are treated differently, but I'm pretty sure Lifetime wishes are capable of being fulfilled without actually being self-employed. In fact, I haven't noticed any difference, other than some bonus Simoleons, between being registered as self-employed, and simply going and doing your own thing.

The Jockey might sound like it requires Self-employment, what with needing to raise your Riding skill to level 10, and make $40,000 using your horses; but the game counts competition winnings whether you're employed or not. It even counts horse-sales as "using your horses" to make money.

The Fortune Teller career from Supernatural works like the Athletic career from the base game, from what I've seen. You work in a rabbit hole and don't do much outside of work hours. The stage-professions that came with Showtime work like the Ambitions professions, but they still work even without Ambitions installed because they're the core draw of the expansion. Owning a Resort in Island Paradise works for the same reason, it's a big draw of the expansion.

In fact, the only lifetime wish I could find that specifically mentions Self Employment didn't even make it to the finished game.

I think you're really making too much of this. It's perfectly possible to grow ingredients, make potions, and sell them to the elixir consignment shop without being an official self-employed Alchemist; unless you get the Ambitions pack. At this point, I think you're trying to find excuses to NOT buy it, such as claiming it's "forced" in order to play how you want.
  • Options
    bklienhartbklienhart Posts: 2,975 Member
    edited March 2014
    You can form a band with only Late Night. If you don't have the option to "Form Band" with somebody, that's a whole 'nuther problem. You should check the technical forum.
    If you aren't getting gigs with your band, well, I've never had a band that got gigs either. However, your job tab is still going to say "Unemployed" even if you do have Ambitions, since being in a band is not a job.

Lifeguard is a profession, not self-employed. You can sell sea-shells and things you found diving w/o Ambitions, but you can not go to City Hall and register as a self-employed diver unless you do have Ambitions.

As ShadeDaystar said, you can make a living selling potions, paintings, books, produce, whatever you want. But you can only be officially self-employed if you have Ambitions.
  • Options
    Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    edited March 2014
    You aren't missing out on anything except something to keep the Sim from wishing to get a job. They don't get a stipend or anything like that.
  • Options
    secretuk1965secretuk1965 Posts: 5,341 Member
    edited March 2014
    I have had ambitions since it came out so I have always had self employed, I don't think I could be self employed when you form a band without ambitions when I just had late nights in, I used twallans mod with the option for self employed, then when I got ambitions I no longer needed that mod for it.