Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What are some overused assignment concepts or competitions?

I'm planning out a new modeling competition, but I really don't want to use any typical or overused ideas for assignments.

So tell me, fellow sim modelers, what are some overused concepts that seem to come up in a lot of competitions?

Bonus question: What type of competitions or assignments do you most enjoy? (Story, High Fashion, ect.)?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    peterpunch2000peterpunch2000 Posts: 2,381 Member
    edited March 2014
    I've seen natural beauty used to the death, can't think of anymore,

As long as your own stamps on it then it's good :) x
    16449922485_0e98556039_o.png
  • Options
    lucycat101lucycat101 Posts: 1,888 Member
    edited March 2014
    Two words: Color Theme! It's an extra challenge if it's done to acompany something else, but on it's own, I hate it!
    My favorite types of comps have some sort of theme and aren't all over the place. That's how I do my comps, because that's what I like in them!
  • Options
    SimFanAJSimFanAJ Posts: 2,755 Member
    edited March 2014
    I haven't been around in awhile, so I can't say what's been overused lately. But in the past, I have to agree with peterpunch2000. I've done quite a few 'natural beauty' shots. And I don't really like them either. I like my Sims with their makeup lol.

As for the kinds of comps I like... I love supernatural comps, but they're pretty tough to find! I've only been in maybe 3 or 4? Comps for vampires seem to be very rare.

As for my favorite types of assignments, I really enjoy dark/creepy/gothic assignments. Any kind really.

Hope that helps you. And good luck. :-)
    1stsiggy_zpsa76c2175.png
  • Options
    JustKeepSimmingJustKeepSimming Posts: 3,447 Member
    edited March 2014
    Typically I see a lot of colours, seasons, natural beauty assignments a lot.
  • Options
    GalaxyAlwaysGalaxyAlways Posts: 2,395 Member
    edited March 2014
    If you just think of your own original assignments that have a clear relation to your comp, then you should be fine. I don't know that there's any assignment anyone would hate as long as it makes sense with your comp! :)

I like to plan out all my assignments beforehand so I know I have a good amount of varied assignments that are fun and original, and if I get an idea for an assignment then I write it down immediately so I don't forget it. ^^

Good luck!
    iwls1x.png
  • Options
    Purpl3PandaZPurpl3PandaZ Posts: 841 New Member
    edited March 2014
    If you just think of your own original assignments that have a clear relation to your comp, then you should be fine. I don't know that there's any assignment anyone would hate as long as it makes sense with your comp! :)

I like to plan out all my assignments beforehand so I know I have a good amount of varied assignments that are fun and original, and if I get an idea for an assignment then I write it down immediately so I don't forget it. ^^

Good luck!

Thanks! Yeah I've written down a lot of ideas so far (planning it all out, because in the past I've winged comps and they weren't good at all), I just want to make sure I don't use anything typically used in a lot of competitions.

SimFanAJ wrote:
    I haven't been around in awhile, so I can't say what's been overused lately. But in the past, I have to agree with peterpunch2000. I've done quite a few 'natural beauty' shots. And I don't really like them either. I like my Sims with their makeup lol.

As for the kinds of comps I like... I love supernatural comps, but they're pretty tough to find! I've only been in maybe 3 or 4? Comps for vampires seem to be very rare.

As for my favorite types of assignments, I really enjoy dark/creepy/gothic assignments. Any kind really.

Hope that helps you. And good luck.

Haha,I haven't been around in quite awhile either! Things seem to change a bit every time I come back to do more modeling. Thanks for the help, I too love gothic/creepy assignments.

And thanks to everyone else for your answers, they help a ton! Keep em coming :mrgreen:
  • Options
    GalaxyAlwaysGalaxyAlways Posts: 2,395 Member
    edited March 2014
    No problem! :)

I'm currently obsessed with your avi btw, it's actually flawless. ^^
    iwls1x.png
  • Options
    MangaMonster_xXMangaMonster_xX Posts: 2,233 Member
    edited March 2014
    I'd say definitely winter ones but that depends on the season generally :lol:

Natural Beauty

And that's about it I'd say plan all of your assignment ahead so you know they're original and none are too similar to each other are overused but I'm sure it'll be great :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Cudan2Cudan2 Posts: 925 Member
    edited March 2014
    So far, I've been doing lots of winter themed assignments. There was also this one time where all the assignments were based on whatever holiday was near. :?
    Lately I've been trying to find more story comps, cause I enjoy writing. I also do like haute couture- it's my one chance to go all crazy with my models XD
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    No problem! :)

I'm currently obsessed with your avi btw, it's actually flawless. ^^

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Cudan2 wrote:
    So far, I've been doing lots of winter themed assignments. There was also this one time where all the assignments were based on whatever holiday was near. :?
    Lately I've been trying to find more story comps, cause I enjoy writing. I also do like haute couture- it's my one chance to go all crazy with my models XD

Ooh, a haute couture comp was what I was thinking of doing :mrgreen:
  • Options
    cheerio517cheerio517 Posts: 817 Member
    edited March 2014
    If you're looking for an original assignment, it's fun to browse google or deviantart and find an example image first- then build an assignment around it. As for which assignments I think are overused, I agree about natural beauty, color theme and seasonal. Other than that, though, all assignments are great as long as you're creative with them. My favorite types of comps are completely fashion/couture comps, but just mostly comps with no particular theme. I get bored of one theme really fast, so I can never stick with a really tight-themed one.
    hvv6th.jpg
  • Options
    PurplesandbucketPurplesandbucket Posts: 576 Member
    edited March 2014
    I agree with Cheerio about no themes. I think comps like that are a nice break from the themed ones.

Also, most comps are only for YA females. It would be nice to see maybe one specifically for males or elders or even adult life!
    ORIGIN ID: pixelprowesss

opy4owP.png