Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Field of Stars - Sidra and Alcyone (50 Foal Challenge)

Hi all!
Let me start by saying that this my first challenge. I'm brand new to the forums, in fact. So if I'm doing something wrong or get off track, please let me know! Suggestions are welcome, too. Thanks and I hope you enjoy my venture to produce 50 foals!
Here are the challenge rules: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/450566.page

Sidra Feenix was born in Appaloosa Plains to a large family that ran the prosperous Starfield Farms. Early in her rebellious teenage years, she grew bored of the quiet country life and convinced her parents to allow her to move to the city for school. At first she found the city life thrilling, but it quickly wore on her and she found she missed the wide expanses, natural surroundings and most especially the horses with which she had grown up. Planning to return home after graduation, her parents promised her a mare all her own to get her started in the family business. Just before her graduation, however, tragedy struck in the form of a fire that burned the entire farm to the ground. There were no survivors, horse or sim.

So Sidra returned to her home, no more than a large, empty plot of land, the rights to which are the only remainder of her birthright. Joining her is Alcyone, the mare she had been promised, who had still been in transit when the fire happened. Sidra has very little money to her name and a heavy heart, but she hopes, together with Alcyone, to build a future from the ashes of her past.

Sidra Feenix - Equestrian, Loves the Outdoors, Artistic, Excitable, Nurturing - Lifetime Wish: The Jockey - Favorites: Indie music, Autumn Salad, Green - 17 days to Adult
Alcyone Feenix - Brave, Friendly - 30 days to Elder

Screenshot-3.jpg

Starting from humble beginnings. I've probably forgotten something, but at the moment I have $2,822 left after building this on a 64x64 lot. (Note: the screenshot above isn't an exact match, I had to start over early on and forgot to take a screenshot the second time, but I just remade the same thing so it's very, very close.)

Screenshot-13.jpg

Sidra and Alcyone greet one another tentatively. They have much of their lives lying uncertain before them and largely dependent on one another, but they are little more than strangers. Alcyone can sense the ghosts of Sidra's past and shies away at first. A little care goes a long way to making friends, though.

Screenshot-14.jpg

With Alcyone reassured of her new owner, it's time for the first ride. There's a meet and greet at the nearby equestrian training grounds, so that is their first destination.

Screenshot-16.jpg

I never noticed the expression of terror on a sim's face when riding before zooming in for this shot.

Screenshot-17.jpg

And what would a first ride be without at least one fall? Getting over her embarrassment, Sidra shakes hands with several of the local horse folks--reacquainting with familiar faces from her childhood and greeting newcomers. She doesn't have much time for making friends, though, there's too much to do!

Her next stop is the grocery store for some apples and lettuce to start a small garden, then back home to get Alcyone. And just after her rear end had stopped aching, too. This time they're off to the equestrian center. Neither of them are skilled enough for racing, but Sidra investigates possible studs for Alcyone. She picks Cascade for the first pairing (might as well start off with the most expensive while I have the money).

Alcyone-Stud1.png

As night closes in, Sidra plants a tiny garden, makes herself dinner, then says good night to her new friend and companion, Alcyone.

Comments

• Options
    JadeleineJadeleine Posts: 2,140 Member
    edited March 2014
    Nice start, keep going!
  • Options
    KaytayRoallKaytayRoall Posts: 923 Member
    edited March 2014
    Thanks, Jadeleine!

The day starts early at the farm: 6am with the rising sun, Sidra is up to tend her garden.
    Screenshot-20.jpgShe can't ride Alcyone now that she knows the mare is pregnant and she's at a bit of a loss as to what to do next. She squares away some paperwork at city hall to register as a self-employed horsewoman, then heads to the library to read up on repair. If anything breaks around the farm, it will be up to her to fix it. Then she goes to the gym, thinking some physical training might make her a better rider. Unfortunately, she's not used to being on her own two feet when running.
    Screenshot-21.jpgThe next day, Sidra is still twiddling her thumbs, waiting for the birth of the first foal. She checks in at the shelter for a racer. She is charmed by a dun colt named Kismet, but doesn't want to wait for him to grow up before having a horse she can ride (I'm still kicking myself over this decision, if only I had been a bit more patient). Setting aside elderly horses, who deserved a more restful home in their twilight years, and mares, who it would be too tempting to breed and end up in the same predicament, this left her with a single choice: a mixed draft stallion whose previous owners had bestowed with the unfortunate name of HipHop. An odd choice, considering he was both lazy and had an aversion to jumping. Sidra renamed him Okul and welcomed him to the farm.
    Screenshot-22.jpgAfter spending the afternoon training Okul, Sidra takes him to their first race, feeling thoroughly unprepared. And rightfully so. They come in at sixth place and Sidra returns home, feeling disheartened. A happy surprise is waiting there for her, though.
    Screenshot-23.jpgAlcyone has given birth to a handsome colt. Sidra names him Pollux and gets to know him a little before she goes to bed after a very long day. It's quite over yet, though!
    Screenshot-25.jpgIn the middle of the night, a masked stranger appears on the property. All the horses immediately come to investigate the intruder, but can't stop her from making off with Sidra's toilet.

More to come! And more pictures and less text-walls next time, hopefully. I'm still getting used to taking screenshots of everything.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    It was a couple more days before Sidra and Okul won their first race, but once she had a taste of the racing atmosphere, Sidra was hooked. Could she balance a racing career with the breeding that was at the foundation of her farm?
    The next day, her second foal was born while she was out winning a second beginner race with Okul. Another colt, she names him Castor. He's untrained, fast and piggy.
    CastorPrances.png
    In the meantime, Okul and Alcyone have been getting acquainted.
    AlcyoneAndOkul.png
    Sometime Pollux wonders about Okul and his mother being so friendly.
    PolluxWatchesOkulAndAlcyone.png
    Pollux is a very active young colt. Sidra plays tag with him sometimes.
    SidraTagWithPollux.png
    And he loves playing with his brother, Castor.
    HorseplayPolluxAndCastor.png
    All too soon, it's time for him to grow up, though.
    PolluxGrowingUp.png
    Sidra starts training him immediately the next day. In fact, she was so excited to, she forgot to saddle him first.
    SidraBarebackOnPollux.png
    Then again, is it worth it when his saddle looks like that?
    PolluxPinkSaddle.png
    As she started training him, Sidra found the difference between lazy Okul and fast Pollux to be glaringly obvious. After a single day of training, Sidra and Pollux took first place in a beginner race with ease. She couldn't help but remember all the time Pollux spent watching her train Okul. Had he been learning even then?
    PolluxWatchesTraining.png
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    With Pollux proving to be a far better racer than Okul, Sidra decided it was time to retire him to somewhere the lazy horse wouldn't be asked to do so much running. Not until after he had gotten friendly with Alcyone, though. (Sorry, didn't think to take pictures.)
    CastorSidraHug.png
    Castor grew up into a handsome stallion and Sidra worked on training him in preparation for selling him. She was taking a break from that to give Alcyone some attention when the third foal was born.
    MekbudaBirth.png
    Another colt, she named him Mekbuda. He inherited his father's laziness as well as being noisy and, of course, untrained. Sidra still dotes on him, though, even early in the morning before she is even dressed.
    MekbudaBottle.png
    All too soon, it seemed, Castor was trained and it was time for him to be sold. He bid his big brother and foalhood playmate farewell.
    CastorPolluxNuzzle.png
    And whispered a little brotherly advice in his younger brother's ear.
    CastorAndMekbuda.png
    With a racing skill of 6, Castor sold for $4,121. He was the first of the foals born in this challenge to be sold and his parting was certainly bittersweet, being a moment of both sadness and success.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I've played way ahead, I guess it's time to try to get my updates caught up.

---

A few days later, Alcyone gave birth to her fourth foal. He took strongly after his father, Magpie, an EC stud.
    MebsutaBeingGroomed.png
    By then, Sidra had saved up a bit of money and did some renovations around the farm, starting with a fenced in pasture and sheltered area at the back for the horses as well as an extra stall.
    GrowingRanch.png
    Stables.png
    She even expanded her own home a little, mostly just to make room for a new, bigger bed. That was all she really needed, since she spent so little time there, anyway.
    HouseExpansion1.png
    After that, Sidra had a bit of down time, aside from her growing racing career with Pollux, while waiting for Mekbuda and Mebsuta to grow up.
    MekbudaAndMebsuta.png
    She felt like she was doing something wrong, having free time on her hands, so Sidra contacted the local shelter to see what horses they had available. They had a mare coming from an abusive home, who was very obedient. A second mare will really speed things up around here, she thought. How hard could one more horse be? So she agreed to give the mare a caring new home.
    ArrivalOfPleione.png
    After unbraiding the poor mare's tail (it looked so uncomfortable), she gave her the name Pleione and started getting acquainted. And there's no better way to greet a horse than with apples.
    SidraMeetsPleione.png
    Pollux was the first of the herd to greet the new arrival. He probably sees himself as the head stallion around the farm.
    PolluxGreetsPleione.png
    He was quick to let Alcyone and Mebsuta know that he approved of this new mare, though.
    PleioneMeetsTheHerd.png
    That night, Mekbuda grew up into a fine young stallion. (Sorry, no pictures, they all have awful lighting because it was a full moon night. The next update will have pictures of him training, though.)

Edit: Forgot to mention Pleione's name, so I added it in.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    With Mekbuda grown up, Sidra wasted no time starting to train him on the racing posts.

MekbudaRacingTraining.png

After a long training session, Mekbuda dozed off by the water trough after a long drink from it.

SnoozingMekbuda.png

Alcyone's fifth foal and first filly was born just as Sidra was about to leave for the evening's races with Pollux.

AlhenasBirth.png

That night, Mebsuta grew into a handsome young stallion.

MebsutaBirthday.png

The next day, Sidra took Mekbuda on a ride to the beach to try to finish his training. When they arrived, they found the delightful surprise of a small wild herd roaming nearby.

WildHerdAtBeach.png

Pleased with how calmly Mekbuda was behaving around the wild horses, Sidra was convinced his training was complete and gave him an apple as a reward.

AppleForMekbuda.png

Then she tried to get closer to the wild horses, but she didn't have much luck.

SpookedWildHorse.png

Mekbuda was doing better in that department.

MekbudaMeetingWildHorse.png

So Sidra did a little swimming instead.

SidraSwimming.png

Then she decided to ride home while still wearing her swimsuit. (Ow, that must have hurt.)

SidraSwimsuitRidingMekbuda.png
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Before she knew it, Sidra's birthday had come around. She and Pollux won a single advanced race, then she headed home early to celebrate. Walking in her front door, she was quite satisfied and proud of how far she had come so far in her life.

SidraEndOfYouth.png

The next day, as she went about her usual activities, she didn't really think about her change in age. She gave Mekbuda one last apple before riding him to the equestrian center to sell.

AnotherAppleForMekbuda.png

Then she bred Pleione to a stallion named Breaker at the center. And ended the evening by entering into her first international race with Pollux. They placed fifth. Everything seemed to be the same as when she was younger. But then that night, the dreams started.

SidraDreams1.png

At first, she dreamed back to her first few days at the farm. The good and the bad. Then her dreams took her further back...

SidraDreams2.png

To her days in school. Then further still to her childhood.

SidraDreams3.png

She woke feeling distracted and odd. Instead of her usual quick apple before getting started on chores, she took her time and made some pancakes. She had felt as if she had everything she wanted from life. What had changed over night?

PancakesForSidra.png

Trying to get back into her regular routine, Sidra began training Mebsuta.

MebsutaRaceTraining.png

She found quickly that her heart just wasn't in it, though, so she changed course and took off for a ride into town instead. Finding herself at the grocery store, she decided to go in to pick up a couple items. She went into town so rarely, she figured she might as well take advantage of the opportunity.

GroceryStoreSidra.png

While she was waiting in line at the checkout, she overheard a conversation between the clerk and another shopper. Just outside of town, a house had been destroyed in a rock slide. The entire family had been killed, except for an infant who had somehow survived being buried in a cellar for several hours while the wreckage was dug up. Hearing the sad tale, Sidra couldn't help but feel a twinge of sympathy for that child, alone in the world after a sudden tragedy ripped her family away from her.

Later, as she stood alone in her little home, she found herself considering something crazy. Before she could have any second thoughts, she made the phone call, then waited nervously.

SidrasStudioHome.png
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    By the way, I've uploaded Pollux here: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8085594
    If there's interest, I can upload the others from my challenge. Except Okul and Castor. I sold both of them before I thought about uploading.
  • Options
    DuckypantsDuckypants Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited March 2014
    Great story behind this challenge! And nice looking horses :D
  • Options
    Shadow08Sims3Shadow08Sims3 Posts: 711 Member
    edited March 2014
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Thank you so much, Shadow and Duckypants! This challenge has been a great adventure and learning experience for me so far. I'm happy to know that others are enjoying coming along for the ride. The next update should be up later tonight!
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Sorry for the delay, I've been having some computer troubles. Fortunately, I was able to salvage my screenshots so far and can post from my laptop. I guess now it's not such a bad thing I had played so far ahead. Hopefully I will have my computer up and running again before I run out of updates. Anyhow, on with the story!

Although Sidra thought she was quick to respond when the social worker arrived, she wasn't as quick as the other woman was to leave.

SocialWorkerDeparting.png

A little paper tag on the basket gave the child's name as Felicia and as Sidra lifted the little bundle of life into her arms, she wondered just what she had gotten herself into.

SidraHoldingFelicia.png

Of course, the new addition to the family called for some renovations, starting with a new room for Felicia.

ToddlerFeliciasRoom.png

While she was at it, Sidra finally put her own bed in its own proper room and improved the kitchen.

Renovations-KitchenAndSidrasRoom.png

There was even room left for a living room, but being opposed to television because of her busy and active lifestyle, she wasn't really sure what to put in it, so it was a bit bare.

Renovations-LivingRoom.png

As she tucked Felicia into her crib and the little girl gurgled happily after a light kiss on the forehead, Sidra found her worries ebbing away. Come what may, she could never regret this choice.

SidraTucksFeliciaIntoHerCrib.png
  • Options
    DJKanine9DJKanine9 Posts: 487 Member
    edited March 2014
    Love your story so far I can't wait for more!!
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Thanks so much, DJKanine! I've had so much fun doing this and it means a lot to know that others are enjoying it, too. I apologize for the prolonged silence, I spent the weekend trying to get my desktop working, then life caught up with me for a couple days and I didn't have much free time. Unfortunately, the problem with my computer seems to be serious. I'm going to have to start replacing components, which will be a time-consuming and possibly expensive project. And I miss playing this challenge so much! So I am downloading and installing the sims on my laptop while writing this (3 EPs down, 3 to go). I'm going to do a test game tonight to make sure I'm happy with how the game runs on my laptop, since it's not as powerful a machine as my desktop, then hopefully start the challenge over either tomorrow or Saturday. Expect to hear from me by then. Until then, many thanks to everyone who has supported and read this, my very first challenge. I regret that it is being put on indefinite hiatus, but look forward to taking all I learned from it and applying it to the next iteration!
  • Options
    WolfLady74WolfLady74 Posts: 1,032 Member
    edited March 2014
    Too bad you have to start over I liked the story. But I had to do the same thing. The story you commented on was my second attempt. And I am still working on it. Hope to see a new story when you can.
  • Options
    ThrippaThrippa Posts: 678 Member
    edited March 2014
    A bit late to the party, but this is a really good start! Even if you have to start over, I'll definitely be following along.