Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What Career Do You Most Often Pick For Your Sims?

I've done almost everything except the SCIENCE career for some insane reason.. I've had this game for years and I still haven't LOL!! But I usually like the careers that are self-employed such as musician, writer, etc.

Comments

• Options
    FuzzySlipers45FuzzySlipers45 Posts: 1,343 Member
    edited February 2014
    I always tend to like self employed sims, or even unemployed sims who earn their money through odd jobs. I like the struggle :D
  • Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,438 Member
    edited February 2014
    There is a very interesting thing that happens with sims whom have gotten to a certain level in the Science career. After a certain point they are able to give different things around house some really interesting or cool upgrades that will give a mood boost to any sim using that item. Counters, beds, chairs, and a whole bunch of other things that I can't recall at the moment. Just a little heads up though, some times the upgrades can back fire, and then it is best to either get rid of that item, or lock it away until the sim who is able to upgrade it, does. Also if you have any aliens in your game, or pretending your sim lives in a space ship, some of those upgrades also have some really neat sounds effects to them as well. One other warning, some times an upgrade will back fire, and when it does the item will vanish. So if your sim is upgrading a counter, make sure there is not anything in (such as a dishwasher, or garbage disposal) or anything on top of the counter, because they will vanish as well with the counter.
  • Options
    firstTimerfirstTimer Posts: 1
    edited February 2014
    I usually go for Business cause its the easiest,but I feel so lazy now :(
  • Options
    Sue_D_NimSue_D_Nim Posts: 2,553 Member
    edited February 2014
    I like this thread. I was thinking of asking the same question, only in reverse: what career do you NEVER pick?

I like the self employment options and some of the Ambitions careers. They're more challenging and more interesting than just sending your sim off to a rabbit hole every day. If your sim is staying single or just hasn't started his family yet, then it's a must. I can't stand waiting while my sim slogs through his workday or sleeps, and that's most of the time.

Of the rabbit hole careers, I tend to go with law enforcement because it gives me things to do outside of work, like search through people's trash to get the goods on them ... or criminal because it ties in so nicely with the klepto trait, which I love. Other than that, I just look for the career that gives the most days off.

I've never taken the business career. The very thought is just mind-numbing to me.
  • Options
    MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    edited February 2014
  • Options
    FryeGuy24FryeGuy24 Posts: 1,242 Member
    edited February 2014
    I can't say I pick any particular careers most often, because whenever I make a new sim, I always specifically try to pick jobs that I haven't already done. But in the end, the ones I pick depend entirely on the sim's personality and what seems to "fit" with them. I've done most careers to level 10, but not all.

So far, my favorites are:
    Acrobat - because it's fun to do contortions at inappropriate moments.

Art Appraiser (master forger) - only 2 days of work a week, but if you just do a couple of easy side jobs between shifts, you can still get a raise every single workday. I LOVE the advanced art training opportunity that lets you paint masterpieces on command. I also love having another option for a "devious" job besides the criminal career. And due to the way the workdays are laid out, you can easily go from level 1 to level 10 in less than two weeks (and that's including holidays and days off).

Criminal (master thief) - because I have a lot of sims who like to misbehave. I love when my sim brings home new "Ambiguity Itself" statues (the household is rich enough, but I like to detonate them for tons of easy scrap), or stealing the golden llama for a $270+ raise.

Culinary - just for the fancy fridge, really.

Firefighter - specifically, I like my mummy firefighter, because it's the most challenging career I've done, and is hilarious at the same time. One day I turned him into a human just to see what it was like, and man, he was fast! But it felt too easy... Maybe one day, I'll have a human firefighter.

Ghost Hunter - love this one! My ghost hunter goes the charismatic route rather than blasting ghosts with his gun, and he always ends up doing goofy things with the ghosts before convincing them to leave.

The ones I haven't done yet and am most looking forward to are architectural designer and stylist.
  • Options
    emptyGforceemptyGforce Posts: 117 New Member
    edited February 2014
    The mode for The Sims 3 is Science; total number: 2.
  • Options
    Proteus42Proteus42 Posts: 891 Member
    edited March 2014
    The most likely jobs for my Sims of first generation (i.e. that I create to start a new game) are Sciene, Medicine or Writing.

>=2nd generation may show a greater variance, due to the fact that I make them dependant on the lifetime wishes (which I usually choose from those who are suggested by the game [which on the other hand is dependant on the childs traits ... as I usually try to mix traits of both parents into the child {and one parent is always a townie} they usually differ from their parents)
    Generally however, even the later generations have jobs that are more on the intellectual side
  • Options
    secretuk1965secretuk1965 Posts: 5,341 Member
    edited March 2014
    depends on my sims traits, if my sim is a green thumb I do the science career, but I usually if there are 2 adults , I do one of the ambitions careers I currently have 2 sims one in the science other is a fire fighter, I love the ambitions ones in stead of rabbit hole jobs but I can't do 2 ambitions so one as to have a rabbit hole job.
  • Options
    Baker9793Baker9793 Posts: 185 Member
    edited March 2014
    For my sims, i generally have them go into the Medical career or Political. Those 2 seem the easiest to me. Also the Culinary is easy for me.
  • Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    edited March 2014
    I have done a generation from A-Z and all have been unemployed they write, paint, fish, garden, play guitar, etc. and now with the art studio they have been making jewelry, glass objects, perfume, Perfume gets 200 to 300 for each piece I sell. they are new to this. I am going to see if I can get self employed for the arts. Have never done that. I love my Sims not working a outside job. I am continuing my second time around with the A-Z with the same family and am only on B at the moment.
    they too are unemployed. I did love Open for Business. I was thinking of getting the venue with the theater and make a business you have to pay to get in. I don't know if that will work. Oh yes once I did a resort for money, with one of my families. I do like the resort. There are so many ways to make money, from now on my sims will not be able to pick up the stars in the greenhouse, they can only pick up seeds, You can make to much money with the stars being 100 each, you can make 1000 in one day. too easy.
  • Options
    Samr883Samr883 Posts: 1,139 New Member
    edited March 2014
    Culinary and criminal. There's a bunch I haven't done, I don't like journalism or law type jobs, and I've only played singer, stylist and ghost hunter professions. My current sim is my first self employed sim.
    Though some of the worlds I play mean I can't choose certain professions.
  • Options
    ilikethesims30ilikethesims30 Posts: 556 Member
    edited March 2014
    I like the self-employed careers best.
  • Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    edited March 2014
    I haven't had the game that long but so far I vastly prefer my sims to earn a living at home: writing, gardening, adventuring, etc. I recently installed Ambitions so now they can finally register as self-employed. I've only done a few rabbit hole jobs, but I mostly quite those ASAP.
  • Options
    GirklGirkl Posts: 254 Member
    edited March 2014
    More often than not I seem to end up with a profession for the main Sim I'm playing,and then just let any others in the household have whichever rabbithole career they wish for based on their traits. I love writers,artists,sculptors and possibly most of all gardeners (or in my head,farmers <3). I did play the Firefighter,Ghost Hunter,Private Investigator and Architect professions but I found them not to my style of play. I thought I'd like the Architect profession especially as I love to build or makeover but I found it restrictive and annoying when a client would want 8 new windows when it looked wrong...who knew I was such a control freak :lol:. Currently I'm playing an insane,inappropriate Inventor (my avatar) and having lots of fun- I have played the profession before but I don't think I reached the top,plus it just seems to suit this Sim :mrgreen:

On the flip side,one of my first ever Sims (if not the first,my memory isn't what it was :oops: ) was in the Medical career and it drove me crazy with the lack of sleep and her subsequent permanent grumpiness. To be fair I think she was low down in the career and I probably gave up on it quickly,but that along with the Daycare profession are two I have no intention on revisiting!
    "It's better to be over the hill than under it"
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    edited March 2014
    I usually have a Sim as a writer just because I wish I was able to be one -- I'll sometimes also have them be a sculptor on the side for extra money. I also like Culinary because of the nice fridge at level 10. Of the Ambitions professions I've only done Ghost Hunter but I really like that one.

Right now my Sim is an art appraiser (one of the Uni Life careers). He's just at the Savvy Scanner stage so I'm looking forward to going farther. I'm thinking when he's done with that I might have him go into Education.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    knt1229knt1229 Posts: 2,227 Member
    edited March 2014
    There are so many ways for sims to make money in this game that a lot of times my sims don't have jobs. Or if I give them one it is a self-employed career, but, they may or may not actually work on their career.

However, I have tried all the careers and have had sims reach the top in all the careers except the new ones that came with Into The Future. I haven't played around with Into The Future very much.
  • Options
    KirstyLKirstyL Posts: 974 Member
    edited March 2014
    I'm usually pretty good about keeping careers different all the time but I'll guess the Rock Star branch of Music.

For least used I'll say Stylist. It was always glitchy for me.
    imgad2-1.png
  • Options
    DarklingDarkling Posts: 6,327 Member
    edited March 2014
    Mikezumi wrote:
    The only job I have for my sims is baby making :P

And what beautiful babies they make! :thumbup:

Back when I used to make them work for their money, I tended to put my sims in the Music, Culinary (love the Minus One Kelvin Fridge), Criminal or Ghost Hunter careers/professions. If I had an artistic sim, I liked to make them self-employed sculptors. Now, however, all of my sims come from old money and enjoy the life of the idle rich. As for my beloved Fridge, there's a mod for that. :wink:
    14785081519_9e388018bc_o.jpg
  • Options
    MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    edited March 2014
    Darkling wrote:
    Mikezumi wrote:

Back when I used to make them work for their money, I tended to put my sims in the Music, Culinary (love the Minus One Kelvin Fridge), Criminal or Ghost Hunter careers/professions. If I had an artistic sim, I liked to make them self-employed sculptors. Now, however, all of my sims come from old money and enjoy the life of the idle rich. As for my beloved Fridge, there's a mod for that. :wink:
    Thank you :D

I also love that fridge but my sims don't need to work for it anymore as I use the same house in pretty much every game I play, no matter the town and it comes complete with one.

"Old money" - love it! Enjoying the life of the idle rich sounds perfect to me :D
    All the babies are hard work in the beginning but once they grow up, my sims also enjoy a similar lifestyle :D
  • Options
    DarklingDarkling Posts: 6,327 Member
    edited March 2014
    Mikezumi wrote:
    Darkling wrote:
    Mikezumi wrote:

Thank you :D

I also love that fridge but my sims don't need to work for it anymore as I use the same house in pretty much every game I play, no matter the town and it comes complete with one.

"Old money" - love it! Enjoying the life of the idle rich sounds perfect to me :D
    All the babies are hard work in the beginning but once they grow up, my sims also enjoy a similar lifestyle :D

:lol: I hear you! If I can't live the jet-set lifestyle, I'm going to make sure my simmies do. The only thing they're going to be working on is their club dancing. :mrgreen:
    14785081519_9e388018bc_o.jpg
  • Options
    rednenemonrednenemon Posts: 3,207 Member
    edited March 2014
    It all depends on the LTW.

I try not to do career-relaed LTWs, though. Rather I try to have more skill-related LTWs in. (That way, I don't have to worry about jobs, and most of the time my Sims are living large thanks to their loaded relatives that suspiciously died from a fire :lol: )

But I usually have cooks, athletes, self-employed artists, and maybe the occasional scientist. I've tried teachers, but...Charisma skill? No thanks.
    AO3: Silver_Shortage_in_Markarth <(Where I'm usually at nowadays)
    MQ2gUyY.jpg
    Part One(Complete 9/24/16) /Part Two(on hold)/Short Stories(on hold)/Twinbrook 1996(on hold)/Ten Crystal Hearts (on hold)
    I own the TS3 Store as of 12/11/16 (sort of. It's complicated)
  • Options
    DrataniDratani Posts: 113 Member
    edited March 2014
    I try to steer away from rabbit hole jobs unless they have a LTW that demands it. That is usually the only time I will get a rabbit hole job or if I have to make quick money ASAP. However, I do like to the business career and create Gordon Gekko like sims. (Maybe because I study business management and economics myself)

It's more fun to me to do the self-employed jobs. That way, I have more freedom and I can let my sims do what interests them. Also, I like the challenge of the more atypical jobs. I dislike how easy it is to get loaded in the sims, I don't like it when everyone in the household have a rabbit hole job and make thousands of simoleons a day.

My favorite job is probably the stylist one. I always loved CAS and doing a makeover on the townies. :)
    powerpuff-girls-criminals-costume.jpg
  • Options
    MJacksonistaMJacksonista Posts: 300 Member
    edited March 2014
    My favorite career out of all the ones I've played has been a musician (in Bridgeport only). I had a musician sim making 30K a DAY in the Bridgeport subways at one point!!!!
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,396 Member
    edited March 2014
    Probably most favorite is the Ambitions careers. Love all of them and have played them extensively, with the exception of the PI. Least liked is probably the Pro Athlete as they actually only get one day off from work and the political one...I don't like having that many parties.

If there's a family involved, usually one of the parents have a self-employed job so they can be at home with the kiddos.

*waves at Darkling* :D
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.