Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are You Having Trouble Getting Onto This Site?(Issue Solved)SUBJECT CLOSED

Anybody else with helpful ideas is welcome to post their ideas here for others with browser issues.
I had some serious issues getting onto this site that were getting steadily worse since I'd upgraded Firefox some monthes earlier and got this awful thing shown in the picture below.I found that Firefox 27 dosen't seem to like this site at all and it started blocking my use of browser bookmarks to get to websites like this one and that "security" shield wasn't helping at all so I managed to get it nuked by going to Firefox 22.I did this after spending endless hours and countless sessions dealing with a feature I've never been able to work with and it might've installed wrong or I might've had an older buggy version that never got patched.There are other options to try before rolling back and I used the rolling back after everything else failed to produce any results or change anything.I also started using manual executable files to upgrade slowly and was planning to go from Firefox 22 to 27 a step at a time with manual upgrading and strongly recommend anybody forced to roll back start upgrading manually a little at a time until their browser is up to date.Rolling the browser back is only to be used as your last resort if everything else has failed including doing a factory reset or if the browser is malfunctioning very seriously like mine was.
12799545255_5183e31770_z.jpg
I went HERE to get an earlier version of Firefox without that dreadful shield.I plan on upgrading Firefox again and try to find a version that work like V23 first and go higher gradually.I rolled back to Firefox 22 and the install window asked me for permission to upgrade Firefox to Version 22 which will be to solve my current issue and I'll redo the upgrades one level at a time.
12799532995_082b45a75b_z.jpg
I notices this after my Firefox was rolled from V27 to V22 and I love the change,but I'll try the upgrades again until I'm high enough to still be able to still access this site without issues and I had issues with the shield like no menu to reset the security level on it.
12810818373_7fe74068d1_z.jpg
44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg

Comments

• Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    edited February 2014
    I think you've been lucky so far because I have no further issues getting here since I rolled from Firefox 27 to Firefox 22 until I can report the issues of the security shield to Forefox.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    bob007bob007 Posts: 10,062 Member
    edited February 2014
    Is your operating system 64 bit? I've been using Nightly which has a 64 bit version of Mozilla Firefox. There are 64 bit plugins out there but some are lacking like MS Silverlight (which Netflix uses). The update channel for Nightly was turned off for time and that lit up Mozilla's support site like a wild fire so they caved in and turned it back on. I now see Nightly is called Firefox Nightly. Some one said (can't remember who) there will be no 64 bit Firefox. I see there have been some changes at Mozilla leadership. What is now called Firefox 64 bit is a little hard to find but it is out there. I'm also using Pale Moon 64 bit but doesn't seem as fast as Nightly.

Are you an administrator on your computer? The security of Firefox may be set too tight. I agree with lucyvp86 it could be your antivirus also.
    I do not work for EA nor do I have any association with EA. I am a gamer helping other gamers.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I've tried everything you talked about and the only answer was to go to a site I've got bookmarked in my browser's bookmarks menu and download an earlier version of Firefox and I've got Firefox 22 installed as my browser now and that stupid shield is gone and good riddance to it.
    I was going around in circles with all of your suggestions for almost 24 hours with the problem still unsolved until I installed Firefox 22 over Firefox 27 and got asked if I wanted to upgrade to 22 and I allowed it to continue.That's how to get rid of the stupid "security" shield which was only causing tons of trouble and had been for monthes.lucyvp86 and bob Thanks for your posts and I couldn't keep on with the Firefox 27 until the issue with the security shield is resolved because there's no means to adjust the shield and mine was bugged.I was unable to get the shield to stop blocking known sites,but it wouldn't stop a risky google search.
    Thanks for your posts because they might help others having this issue though they were too late for me because I solved mine hours ago and can get onto the site easily.
  • Options
    blunote00blunote00 Posts: 18,476 Member
    edited February 2014
    TadOlson wrote:
    I think you've been lucky so far because I have no further issues getting here since I upgraded from Firefox 27 to Firefox 22.I lost that horrible shield I posted in a picture.You should visit that site I linked there and bookmark it in case your browser starts giving you trouble like mine was until recently when I got Firefox 22 installed.
    You didn't upgrade your Firefox you downgraded to a previous version. Firefox v22 is a downgrade and Firefox v27 (the most recent version) is the upgrade. I told you the same thing in SGR's thread. She pretty much said the same thing in her response, when you tried to blame the web maintenance and the web team for you not being able to view the site.

As lucyvp86 stated in their post above they have no issue running the site in Firefox v27.0.1, and I'm sure others aren't having an issue either.

The problem is..."your" inability to comprehend!

You didn't go into your browser's settings (as most should/would do) to fix your issue. SGR advised you to do the same which you did not do. You reverted back to a previous version which is less secure. So now you create this thread advising others to follow the same solution which isn't really a solution at all. No one in their right mind would follow this advise as it's idiotic!

This is exactly what I and others have been saying to you about how you post. You just don't get it!

If you don't have the ability to go into your own browser and set it properly, then you certainly shouldn't be advising others what to do with theirs. This thread only further proves you lack the ability to be advising anyone on what they should or shouldn't be doing in regards to their operating system, mods, etc... You have no technical skills to do so. Yet you continue to post your "fuzzy logic" and half truths about this or that. You're only making yourself look more the fool.

33w9stj.jpg

As for your post in my guide, I went to bed angry and now I've woken up angry. So let me make this as plain and simple as I can.

Go back to your post(s) ←←←[this is plural] in my guide, click the EDIT button, erase everything you've typed so the window is blank, type "Removed at the OP's request.", and then hit the submit button.

I don't need a post explaining anything to me about what you did and why. All it does is tick me off even more.

Now I shall leave for work (still angry). I would like you to have the edits complete by the time I get home this evening. This is would probably be in your best interest.
    Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
    US Links ► (TS3), Help for all things Sims (Answer HQ).
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Blunote00 I'm asking you to stop attacking me in the only place I've got for social activity when I did remove those posts to the best of my ability and posted the message everybody posting in the wrong thread posts.I'm not very impressed with your being rude to me and behaving badly here.I was already editing my posts to "posted in wrong thread" and I'd meant to praise your thread restoring my ability to play TS3 when it stopped working for me and EA's SP was glitching out badly on me.That thread is one place where I found out about Mods and I wanted to thank your for that because I was about to quit playing TS3 until I got into the Mods.
    I've never posted in the wrong thread like this before today and I was very overtired from spending over 24 hours attempting to troubleshoot Firefox 27.I ended up having to either try resetting or roll back to an older version when Firefox was working for me.
    I've got no idea why it wasn't working except that I had some issues recently with bad "programs" getting into my computer once when I tried to update Firefox and these fake programs were causing a lot of trouble until I got them removed and disabled DealPly until I was able to get it uninstalled.This was happening when I tried updating to 27 and it turned out to be junk getting into my computer.I'm reporting this shield issue to Firefox because that shield didn't work for me at all.
  • Options
    eilianeilian Posts: 1,246 Member
    edited February 2014
    I'm using Firefox 27.0.1 and have no problems whatsoever. Mozilla releases new versions of their browser to address security issues and vulnerabilities so I wouldn't recommend going backwards to older versions (like 22). Just my 2 cents :)
    Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud. - Maya Angelou
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    eilian Thanks for your input and I will reinstall the upgrades one level at a time because I have had problem with the shield not offering any options to change it.
  • Options
    FuzzySlipers45FuzzySlipers45 Posts: 1,343 Member
    edited February 2014
    Tad, blunote00 isn't attacking you, they're simply asking you to stop posting "helpful tutorial" posts that either aren't fully correct or unsafe. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not very good with computers, so I only try to help others when I'm certain I know an answer, or when I know of something to could be contributing to their problem.

I know you're trying to be helpful, but I've seen you in many, many topics telling people wrong information.

I'm sorry if this comes across as rude, as that's not my intention. I just want you to understand Blu's frustration, so you can learn from it.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    blu - inhale, count to five, exhale. Say to yourself life is good. Stop reading that book How to Win Friends and Influence Neighbors. I've read it and it doesn't work.

lucyvp86 - I've been doing IT (MSE CCNA among other worthless wall paper patches) for well lets just say a long time (I had punch cards in my data processing class) and I learned a long time ago working in this field comes with foot in mouth disease. Great catch on the https. Hey if I don't look like an idiot once a day I'm doing something wrong.

TadOlson - Don't be afraid to ask questions - Question without answer, like faraway water, no good for nearby fire (Charlie Chan). We know how you got it to work but now you have to get to work the right way. Many times I just type the url thesims3.com in the address bar. Or Google it and let Google figure it out. If all else fails try Google Chrome - it doesn't have all the hooks in it.

Thought for the day - saw on black board at Bell Labs - Definition of a memory refresh cycle - a coffee break.

One more for you:

"There is no reason anyone in the right state of mind will want a computer in their
    home."
    - Ken Olson, President of Digital Equipment Corp, 1977.
    I do not work for EA nor do I have any association with EA. I am a gamer helping other gamers.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Your earlier post is welcome here for the benefit of others and thanks for posting it here and your username is censored for some reason.
    I rolled Firefox back until the issue I'm having is reported and fixed because the security shield never worked for me and I've got other security with firewalls.I'll upgrade to a version I can use because I use browser bookmarks to get here.I saw how the reset option works and couldn't use it myself,but it might help somebody else.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    TadOlson wrote:
    Blunote00 I'm asking you to stop attacking me in the only place I've got for social activity when I did remove those posts to the best of my ability and posted the message everybody posting in the wrong thread posts.I'm not very impressed with your being rude to me and behaving badly here.I was already editing my posts to "posted in wrong thread" and I'd meant to praise your thread restoring my ability to play TS3 when it stopped working for me and EA's SP was glitching out badly on me.That thread is one place where I found out about Mods and I wanted to thank your for that because I was about to quit playing TS3 until I got into the Mods.
    I've never posted in the wrong thread like this before today and I was very overtired from spending over 24 hours attempting to troubleshoot Firefox 27.I ended up having to either try resetting or roll back to an older version when Firefox was working for me.
    I've got no idea why it wasn't working except that I had some issues recently with bad "programs" getting into my computer once when I tried to update Firefox and these fake programs were causing a lot of trouble until I got them removed and disabled DealPly until I was able to get it uninstalled.This was happening when I tried updating to 27 and it turned out to be junk getting into my computer.I'm reporting this shield issue to Firefox because that shield didn't work for me at all.

First, Thank you for removing the images, links, comments, etc. from my guide. As for the apologies, I accepted all four different versions you gave me, but whatever.

Regardless of the reason, the fact is... you didn't read anything on the first page, and got caught up posting "your guide" in my guide by responding to an end user I had already given an answer to.

Second, I'm not attacking you but the inaccuracies in your posts. By the title of this thread apparently it's still an issue as it's not really the solution. If you feel I'm being rude then so be it. However, I will always state my opinion and not hold my tongue when I see another user purposely being misinformed.

FuzzySlipers45 and Bob, were kind enough to tell you "the truth" about your post(s) yet based on your response you pretty much blew them off. lucyvp86, was kind enough to find a "real" solution.

I still believe the analysis I stated about your post(s) is correct. If you want to continue the misinformation fine. Just so you know, if I see it I will correctly inform the OP/EU you're misinforming. And frankly, I don't roll any other way.

EDIT: typos

Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Blunote00 I hope we can get along better in the future and I'd like to know if you did a more advanced install option of Firefox instead of the default install I might've gotten when that shield was introduced and I suspect my update then was faulty or the default one and I had no way to adjust or remove that shield since I've got AVG firewall.I told the other person that they were welcome to post that link and thanked them for it.I did an advanced install when I rolled back and will no longer do the updates directly if I can't choose between advanced and default installs on Firefox.I looked in the options and saw something for security devices I don't remember seeing before.Did you use an advanced install option for Firefox?
    Fuzzysliper I found out I had to roll back to reset and have to install differently.
    Bob I don't know everything about computers and others are welcome to post other suggestions here since mine is one option for some with my old issue.
    lucyvp86 Your link did help me to know that a factory reset would've been a disasterous move since it gets rid of browser bookmarks and user settings and your link is greatly appreciated
    Thanks for being a little more reasonable Blunote00 and you're welcome to make your own helpful posts here since others sometimes have browser issues.I will report the Firefox shield issue to them and ask them to make it an optional add-on and make it easier to control and give us easy to find options to fully disable it if we have another firewall like AVG's.
  • Options
    Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    edited February 2014
    TadOlson wrote:
    Blunote00 I hope we can get along better in the future and I'd like to know if you did a more advanced install option of Firefox instead of the default install I might've gotten when that shield was introduced and I suspect my update then was faulty or the default one and I had no way to adjust or remove that shield since I've got AVG firewall.I told the other person that they were welcome to post that link and thanked them for it.I did an advanced install when I rolled back and will no longer do the updates directly if I can't choose between advanced and default installs on Firefox.I looked in the options and saw something for security devices I don't remember seeing before.Did you use an advanced install option for Firefox?

I'm not blunote, but my Firefox updates install automatically, so by default it is the default install options, and I have had no issue with the site. No shield or anything.

And if it was 27.0.1 by itself that causes the shield and the issues, I would be having the same issue. But I'm not. Therefore it is not the browser itself. It's some setting that YOU have. Some different setting on your end, a different url typed in (some sites have a http and an https version for people who are more cautious and those who are not, a different plugin/extension/add-on (anti-virus programs do install those onto Firefox), etc.

And really, rolling back to a previous Firefox should only only only ever be done for something that you absolutely can not live without that will only work in Firefox. Because not being on the latest version means your computer is less secure. Downgrading should only ever be a last resort solution. Not presented as the only solution. And honestly, this site is not something that you can't live without and it works in other browsers (Internet Explorer, Google Chrome). And even then, I wouldn't recommend it lightly.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Seera1024 wrote:
    TadOlson wrote:

I'm not blunote, but my Firefox updates install automatically, so by default it is the default install options, and I have had no issue with the site. No shield or anything.

And if it was 27.0.1 by itself that causes the shield and the issues, I would be having the same issue. But I'm not. Therefore it is not the browser itself. It's some setting that YOU have. Some different setting on your end, a different url typed in (some sites have a http and an https version for people who are more cautious and those who are not, a different plugin/extension/add-on (anti-virus programs do install those onto Firefox), etc.

And really, rolling back to a previous Firefox should only only only ever be done for something that you absolutely can not live without that will only work in Firefox. Because not being on the latest version means your computer is less secure. Downgrading should only ever be a last resort solution. Not presented as the only solution. And honestly, this site is not something that you can't live without and it works in other browsers (Internet Explorer, Google Chrome). And even then, I wouldn't recommend it lightly.
    Pretty much agrees with everything that Seera said. I go into the browser setting for each I have and set Scripts, HTTPS/SSL, Add-ons, etc... I never install additional toolbars and lots of add-ons are disabled except if it's something I need for work (i.e. Citrix). I have HTTPS set for YouTube or any other site that runs a ton of ads.

Various software when updating will cause resets, or specific setting to be set again. It's up to the end users to make those settings how "they" see fit. They should read/understand how to find the settings in each browser they use.

In fact, one of our system engineers at work just disabled FFv25 and removed it from over 6000+ Physcial desktops, VDI XenApps, & XenDesktops. Only two users reported an issue (both user error) and both resolved.

ETA: My updates "always" come from the actual developer.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Seera1024 and Blunote00 Thanks for your input and I was having issues and will send feedback about the shield not being user-friendly and just a big pain for me when I've got the AVG firewall activated and found the shield just causing problems.I'll want to find out why it just didn't work for me and I'll upgrade Firefox as far as I can go.
    I looked at what the factory reset does and it wasn't going to solve my problem with faulty updates from earlier dates.It would remove my browser bookmarks and settings.I just want to be able to get onto this site and that useless shield was blocking me from here and even from my browser home page and I tied every other possible solution before rolling back from glitched updates.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    TadOlson wrote:
    I looked at what the factory reset does and it wasn't going to solve my problem with faulty updates from earlier dates.It would remove my browser bookmarks and settings.I just want to be able to get onto this site and that useless shield was blocking me from here and even from my browser home page and I tied every other possible solution before rolling back from glitched updates.

If you did not do a "factory reset" of Firefox, then you did not try every other possible solution. Sometimes you have to suck it up that the fix is going to cause you to have to do hours of work.

Looking it up it looks like the Shield comes in Firefox 23, which means they go up incrementally most likely. Which means you are most likely 5 updates behind. I would never recommend going that far back. You are putting everyone who uses the computer you use at risk. The best protection against viruses is prevention. And that means keeping your programs, your computer's OS, your antivirus, etc, installed and up to date. And here you are suggesting that other people do the same. Put themselves and others who use their computer at risk. For a problem that has a very easy solution.

It's Mixed Content Blocking.

Which means you are visiting this site using the https:// prefix.

Change your bookmark to the http:// prefix and you can upgrade to Firefox 27.0.1 and not have any issues whatsoever trying to access this site.

And if you'd rather not, the footnotes in the link below tell you how to get the content to show up anyway.

https://blog.mozilla.org/tanvi/2013/04/10/mixed-content-blocking-enabled-in-firefox-23/
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Seera1024 Thanks for your helpful trick and I hope it can help others aw well.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I did use AVG (and recommended AVG) for some time but started getting too many false positives with gaming computers. I now use MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials). I've had few problems with MSE and it's FREE. I now recommend MSE be used for consumer (home) computers. Besides I like FREE.

link for Microsoft Security Essentials - MSE
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Thanks for your idea Bob it might help if a link was given for anybody wanting that.
    I won't do the automatic Firefox update because I've got no control over the type of install it does.I found another site hosting older versions of Firefox and they've got newer ones and I got this window on installing this way and chose custom instead of standard for installing.
    12842205985_e39dc2543a_z.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    So, you're still refusing to go back up to 27.0.1 and try the suggestions I've given?

One of which would permanently stop the issue you have...

Yet, you still have the post title pointing to your solution on the first page which is not the first solution that people should try. It is the very very very very very last thing they should try.

You really should change your title to at least point to my suggestion on the second page or ADD my solution to the first page as the try this first. Because my suggestion works. Your solution, while it works, is UNSAFE. And that might be fine for you. But you should never ever ever suggest going to something unsafe as a first option. And that's what you're doing here.
  • Options
    FuzzySlipers45FuzzySlipers45 Posts: 1,343 Member
    edited March 2014
    Tad, you've got a bunch of people who work in IT/IT-related fields telling you a safe solution, and what was the actual cause of your problem. Maybe it would be wise to stop trying to manufacture your own solution, when several safe alternatives have been presented.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    FuzzySlipers45 I had been advised to roll back because my earlier upgrade obviously was faulty and the problems had become so severe that a factory reset would've removed my bookmarks and setting and left me with a seriously malfunctioning browser that was crashing and failing to load sites up correctly.My brother was advising me to skip the factory reset when the browser was starting to fail to load sites up.
    I like having the others posting here to help with any body else with browser issues because their issues might be different than mine were.
    I was at Firefox 22 and just upgraded to 23.I'm doing the upgrades slowly and carefully with and avoiding the automatic upgrade option.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Tad, your issue is a non-issue on 27.0.1 even with automatic updates if you follow the suggestion I posted above.

You use the https version of the site. If you use the http version of the site, you will NOT have the issue even on 27.0.1

Your supposed issue with Firefox isn't an actual issue. It's a feature of Firefox. If you read the link I posted, it will show you how to disable that feature.

The solution to your problem is not use the secure url for this site or go into the config side of Firefox to disable Mixed Content Blocking.

Please, please, please, try this suggestion before you put your computer at risk by using an outdated browser.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Seera1024 wrote:
    Tad, your issue is a non-issue on 27.0.1 even with automatic updates if you follow the suggestion I posted above.

You use the https version of the site. If you use the http version of the site, you will NOT have the issue even on 27.0.1

Your supposed issue with Firefox isn't an actual issue. It's a feature of Firefox. If you read the link I posted, it will show you how to disable that feature.

The solution to your problem is not use the secure url for this site or go into the config side of Firefox to disable Mixed Content Blocking.

Please, please, please, try this suggestion before you put your computer at risk by using an outdated browser.
    This does work, I had to do it in Chrome a while back. :wink:
    lucyvp86 wrote:
    This thread is giving me a headache, yet, I can't stop myself from reading it.

I think I need help, lol.

Anyways....dude....Tad.....part of your problem could be all those shortcuts on your desktop!! Unless you have some super duper rig, which I suspect you do not, then you need to cut those down by about 85%.

I'm not going to bash you, you are getting enough of that. However, I will ask if you would kindly stop encouraging others to follow your bad example. It's risking their computers. What you choose to do with yours, that's your decision, just please stop telling others to do the same thing.

Oh and here is a link explaining why having too many shortcuts on your desktop is a bad thing.

http://windows.about.com/od/tipsandadvice/qt/cleandt.htm

(Edit: Some will argue that it doesn't, I happen to be old school and believe it does especially if some of those short cuts are actually launching unneeded programs)
    I noticed this too and I agree. Another reason is... If the hard drive ever fails then the Windows desktop is gone too. :thumbup:
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    lucyvp86 wrote:
    blunote00 wrote:
    I noticed this too and I agree. Another reason is... If the hard drive ever fails then the Windows desktop is gone too. :thumbup:

LOL....I couldn't see past all those icons. I haven't seen anything like that in...yeah...I would age myself if I said how long it's been since I last saw something like that.

My initial thought?

"Holy Desktop Clutter Bomb, Batman!"

Then I giggled a little and thought fondly of my first boss in the IT world. That man had an issue, a serious issue, with putting everything on his desktop. It was a constant battle trying to help him keep it organized and clutter free.
    Well there's really no reason to capture the desktop in images, it drives me nuts. I'm very OCD'ish. Alt + Prt Scr captures the Active Window and always has in Windows. Plus Win7 comes with the SnippingTool.exe free. :wink: