Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Game won't install getting power pc not supported error

I am trying to install Katy Perry sweet treats on my macbook pro, but the launcher for installing won't work-I get an error message that says something like power pc application is not supported. What the heck does that mean? Does this expansion only work on older macs (earlier than mountain lion) or is it some kind of glitch you have to work around to get the game to install. I have a feeling it's a glitch, because someone else got the same error message with one of the newer expansions (I think Island Paradise). Help!

Comments

• Options
    Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    edited January 2014
    To answer your question, the Power PC format were the chips that Apple used before switching to Intel. I ran Sims 2 wonderfully on my old G5 until it died last year and I had buy a new iMac. Thankfully, I can still run Sims 2 as my game was saved on Time Machine and it installed when I transferred my stuff over.

When Sims 3 was developed, EA did not make it for the older architecture anymore so I was not able to get Sims 3 until last year.

I know there's a fix for it somewhere on the forums and I'll bump it to the front page and try to link to it for you.

Here's the link to the thread.

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/225/658546.page
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • Options
    Elf67Elf67 Posts: 1,198 Member
    edited January 2014
    I knew what they meant by power pc (I bought a game from Big Fish that wouldn't run because of it, which not only did they give me credit for another game but allowed me to keep the 1st game in case it's ever updated to work on Lion or higher)), but what I didn't understand was why I got that error message when Sims 3 never was a power pc application! I saw someone else had the same problem trying to install Sims 3 Island Paradise on their mac, but saw no solution how to bypass the installation error glitch that's obviously occurring. BTW, I am patched up to the 2nd to last patch (didn't do the last one as I have no idea what it supposedly fixes).
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    edited January 2014
    This error is a complete mystery to me. The only thing I can think of is that originally I think TS3 was designed to run on OS 10.4.11 (Tiger) minimum (if you open the info.plist you can see this quite clearly) so somewhere along installing the game and patching something has screwed up in the code.

Try redownloading and reinstalling the super patch and see if that works. The 1.67 patch was some server related issue. I'm still sitting at 1.63 because it's the most stable. Do you have CD or Digital games? If they're CD, which region are you?
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    This error is a complete mystery to me. The only thing I can think of is that originally I think TS3 was designed to run on OS 10.4.11 (Tiger) minimum (if you open the info.plist you can see this quite clearly) so somewhere along installing the game and patching something has screwed up in the code.

Try redownloading and reinstalling the super patch and see if that works. The 1.67 patch was some server related issue. I'm still sitting at 1.63 because it's the most stable. Do you have CD or Digital games? If they're CD, which region are you?
    All my games are DVD rom (the only digital downloads are worlds from the store). I'm not sure what you mean by region, but I am in the US if that helps. The first time I tried to install the game, I got this weird looking icon in the installer (kind of looked like a paint can with a slash through it) and got disk is damaged or incomplete error. When I attempted to install a 2nd time, I got the power PC error. It seems like an installer glitch. Is there a way to install the game from the disk when the installer doesn't work? Where do you download the super patch for a Mac ?
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    The super patchers are linked in the second thread on this forum. Try that and if it doesn't work uninstall cleanly, reinstall and just patch up to 1.63. The 1.63 patch can be found here:

http://llnet.thesims.cdn.ea.com/sims/u/f/sims3/mac/To-9355-1.63.5.024001.tgz
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Is there a way to keep my saved games if I decide to reinstall? It's not the end of the world if I can't, but I'd rather not have to start those games over. I did use the disk utility to verify the disk and it said everything was okay, no repairs needed. So the disk itself doesn't seem to be the problem. Seems like a launcher glitch. Not sure how the super patch or uninstalling and reinstalling will help if the game installer won't work, unless it's some kind of compatibility issue. I know some people had the same issue with Island Paradise, but I couldn't find a thread that showed if and how they got around the issue.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Superpatch wouldn't work-got error message
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Also tried chatting with an EA advisor, who kept suggesting fixes that had nothing to do with a software issue. I knew that route would be useless, as you usually get someone from India with not so great English who doesn't have a clue when it comes to Macs. They always have you try the same things, no matter what problem you're having. Ugh! They offered a digital download, but number one, I don't want Origin on my Mac and two, this expansion is not even available digitally anymore. Clueless people. I found several posts from other people having the same issue with certain expansions/stuff packs, but so far found no solutions for this problem. Might have to do the dreaded uninstall/reinstall! Question when doing this-do I reinstall expansions before or after updating the base game?
  • Options
    Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    edited January 2014
    After. Always install the base game and then patch. Remember to install your EP's and SP's in release order. That way the game can build on itself. :mrgreen:
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Well, that was a waste of time! Uninstalling and reinstalling didn't fix the problem. Maybe there is a coding error in the disk I purchased. I am going to contact the seller to see if he has another copy or can get me a refund. Thanks for trying to help.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Did you follow my instructions on the link to get rid of ALL residual Transgaming files? There are also instructions for installing too.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Did you follow my instructions on the link to get rid of ALL residual Transgaming files? There are also instructions for installing too.
    Yes. Actually, the uninstaller uninstalled everything (I did check all the areas you said to check and nothing was there). I reinstalled the base game and then updated. I then reinstalled the expansions in order and everything went fine until I got to the Sweet Treats disk and I got the same power PC app not supported error message. I was able to install packs that came out after that one without any problems, so there must be either a problem with the disc itself or one of the patches broke the installer for this particular pack. I refuse to use Windows, so I'm going to try to get a new disk or a refund. BTW, is there a way to make the launcher window bigger or make the font on the launcher larger? I'm having a hard time reading anything on the launcher (accidently downloaded something I purchased from the store twice because I didn't see I had already downloaded it in the launcher).
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I searched the forum and apparently several people have had the same problem, but no solutions. Is there a way to install a Sims 3 EP/SP without using the installer?