Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Did they mix up Shirley Temple with Annie?

:roll: Look for the Harbucks residence.

Comments

• Options
    Cyberqueen13Cyberqueen13 Posts: 2,835 Member
    edited December 2013
    Daddy Warbucks adopted "Annie" NOT Shirley Temple.
  • Options
    xoJessixoJessi Posts: 1,859 Member
    edited December 2013
    I can't tell if they did that on purpose, to try to not make it obvious OR if it was a mistake. *shrugs*
  • Options
    BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,186 Member
    edited December 2013
    The movie Curly Top starring Shirley Temple was based on the same idea. (1935)
    Orphan adopted by a rich bachelor.
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • Options
    AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,836 Member
    edited December 2013
    Maybe because many people think Shirley Temple played Orphan Annie? I know I had to stop and think about it (and then Google it). :oops: :lol:

@bluegayle: Ahh...that's where the confusion was (at least for me :P ). I could swear I had seen clips of her in an orphan role.
    They might have done it on purpose then to pull two icons into one household.
    baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    bluegayle_ wrote:

Yes, Shirley Temple played in a movie as an orphan...her father was presumed dead but was not dead.

The clue that there is a mix up is when you see the rich man that is adopting is a "bald man" named Warbucks. Sorry, EA named him Harbucks.

Shirley Temples father was a brunette, whereas Annie's adoptive father was a tall "bald" man named Daddy Warbucks. :wink:

Edit: I loved Shirley Temple movies when I was growing up. I believe the one where she is playing an orphan, is that her father never came back from war so she got sent to an orphanage. They all thought he died. But at the end I believe that he returns to her.

Shirley Temple was blonde...Annie was a red-head.
  • Options
    cemole4235cemole4235 Posts: 344 New Member
    edited December 2013
    Cyberqueen13, you're confusing your Shirley Temple movies ;) A Little Princess is where Shirley played Sarah Crewe, a young lady whose father was sent to the war and then presumed dead. Sarah attended an elite school for rich young ladies, but when she was presumed to be an orphan she was made to be a servant at the school. In the end, she found her father, the mean headmistress at the school got her just desserts, and everyone lives happily ever after.

In the movie Curly Top, Shirley played Elizabeth, a little girl from an orphanage who is adopted by a rich man.

I tend to think that EA is just being rather punny, making a rich man/orphan household while also playing on the fact that Shirley was immensely popular in the 30s.
  • Options
    pandora4copandora4co Posts: 729 Member
    edited December 2013
    Maybe they did it on purpose to avoid copyright infringement?

Like Elliot Nest instead of Elliot Ness? There are a few other households that have names almost but not quite like other famous people or characters.
  • Options
    cemole4235cemole4235 Posts: 344 New Member
    edited December 2013
    You can tell that they're doing it on purpose. For instance, the Jones house is right next to the Fontayne house. Joan Fontaine was a popular actress in the 30s/40s. And there is an Astare household; I think nearly everyone has heard of Fred Astaire ;)
  • Options
    medivialprincessmedivialprincess Posts: 774 Member
    edited December 2013
    I'm a shirly temple look alike lol. aging like her even. i'll have to check this out once i get rh.
    tumblr_m4hniaS8fX1r3l7cvo1_500.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Yeah, EA is usually on target with this sorta thing. I'm sure they did this on purpose. And thank you, that was the movie I was referring to :-o

I always go and read all the back stories for the families before I start to play. EA is always very clever on this part :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    edited December 2013
    There is a Shirley Templeton. :mrgreen:
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • Options
    KarilynMonroe2KarilynMonroe2 Posts: 1,463 Member
    edited December 2013
    I love it!
  • Options
    AznSenseiAznSensei Posts: 11,789 Member
    edited December 2013
    I think they were just incorporating two entities into one.

As much as I would love it, it wouldn't make sense to have two separate households with the same theme.

So they combined the theme that describes both Annie and Shirley Temple.

Rich Man adopting an Orphan girl.
  • Options
    KarilynMonroe2KarilynMonroe2 Posts: 1,463 Member
    edited December 2013
    Oh my goodness! I've just fixed up that house a bit but Annie/Shirley really needs a make-over! I just realized that there is no good hair for girls...at least not for this world. I may have to get me some cc hair.
    I really love Shirley Temple and Annie but not combined like this. They are very different and this little sim looks more like Annie, I suppose but seeing how there is not good hair for either, well, I think they gave up and just merged them.

It looks like this fellow Harbucks is planning on starting a collection of orphans. There are a lot of twin beds in his house.

I wonder if there is a Mrs Hannigan? LOL Even Shirley always had to deal with some evil scheming woman...well, back to the game! Cheers!
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Oh my goodness! I've just fixed up that house a bit but Annie/Shirley really needs a make-over! I just realized that there is no good hair for girls...at least not for this world. I may have to get me some cc hair.
    I really love Shirley Temple and Annie but not combined like this. They are very different and this little sim looks more like Annie, I suppose but seeing how there is not good hair for either, well, I think they gave up and just merged them.

It looks like this fellow Harbucks is planning on starting a collection of orphans. There are a lot of twin beds in his house.

I wonder if there is a Mrs Hannigan? LOL Even Shirley always had to deal with some evil scheming woman...well, back to the game! Cheers!

Let me see if I can help you out...

Here is a great creator of hair for kids.

You will see a button that says "next" on the left side of the hair so you can go to the next page.

http://simsxolove.tumblr.com/tagged/dl:+hair

btw, I am now positive that it is Annie, as she is a red head in a red dress :-D :mrgreen:
  • Options
    lovelylisaclovelylisac Posts: 1,291 Member
    edited December 2013
    My guess regarding the poor child's bad hair was that the store team just didn't bother designing new hair for her because so many people either don't play children, or give them a really short age span. But I like playing families, so in my game, she's stuck with the frizz for 20 days.

Off to find some retro CC hair for children, since I intend on making my sims have lots of babies.
  • Options
    BrittoneBrittone Posts: 51 Member
    edited December 2013
    pandora4co wrote:

Like Elliot Nest instead of Elliot Ness? There are a few other households that have names almost but not quite like other famous people or characters.

Same thought that I had. Cause I own all the sims games and worlds. It's not the 1st time and won't be the last time. Just enjoy playing the sims and don't worry bout the names.
  • Options
    KatnapKatnap Posts: 2,251 Member
    edited December 2013
    bluegayle_ wrote:

Yes, Shirley Temple played in a movie as an orphan...her father was presumed dead but was not dead.

The clue that there is a mix up is when you see the rich man that is adopting is a "bald man" named Warbucks. Sorry, EA named him Harbucks.

Shirley Temples father was a brunette, whereas Annie's adoptive father was a tall "bald" man named Daddy Warbucks. :wink:

Edit: I loved Shirley Temple movies when I was growing up. I believe the one where she is playing an orphan, is that her father never came back from war so she got sent to an orphanage. They all thought he died. But at the end I believe that he returns to her.

Shirley Temple was blonde...Annie was a red-head.

Yes, he did and it still made me all teary-eyed when I saw it a few years ago.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Brittone wrote:
    pandora4co wrote:

Same thought that I had. Cause I own all the sims games and worlds. It's not the 1st time and won't be the last time. Just enjoy playing the sims and don't worry bout the names.

No, no. I know for legal reasons and for fun EA changes the names. I'm not new to The Sims. (I too own all of the EP/SP and about 95% of the store.)

I was just thrown when they chose the famous name "Shirley" in place of Annie. I mean, they usually only change a little of the name. I would have guessed they'd name her Fannie or anything similar than Shirley. I guess because I use to watch Shirley Temple I immediately thought of Shirley Temple. Even though the character(sim) clearly looks like Annie and Daddy Warbucks is used as Harbucks :wink: I love how EA adds famous characters. I love to go searching for them every time we get a new world :mrgreen:
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    This is Shirley Templeton (made by EA)
    2rn7k0l.jpg

This is Shirley Temple (Oh I just lover her!)
    a9o86c.jpg

This is Annie with Daddy Warbucks (the tall bald man)
    r0p8om.jpg

This is the dress EA has her in for formal (I gave her a fro like Annie had)
    2ryj690.jpg

This is what she looks like now in my game and I named her Fannie Harbucks :mrgreen:
    2qwzmmp.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    At the end of the Annie movie Daddy Warbucks plans to adopt all of the little girls that came to Annie's rescue. That explains all the extra beds :mrgreen:
  • Options
    SchantalSchantal Posts: 3,082 Member
    edited December 2013
    Anmirla, she did play an orphan in a LOT of movies Curly Top and A Little Princess...also Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm.... :-) below is the link of every movie where she played an Orphan and its a lot.

http://forever-starlet.livejournal.com/7311.html
  • Options
    xoJessixoJessi Posts: 1,859 Member
    edited December 2013
    Ohmigosh the afro!!
    Now I wanna change her hair to that. ^___^ Great idea.

Did you add a love interest for the "dad' and I was trying to figure out a way without mods to make her his actual daughter. Any luck there?
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Xoxk9 wrote:
    Ohmigosh the afro!!
    Now I wanna change her hair to that. ^___^ Great idea.

Did you add a love interest for the "dad' and I was trying to figure out a way without mods to make her his actual daughter. Any luck there?

Glad you liked the pix. I'm not playing that family, but...I think if you saved the dad and daughter through the mirror in CAS, you could make them father daughter in CAS. But you would need to use a mod if you didn't want to start over from CAS with them.(they lose relationships and skills if you make them in CAS)
  • Options
    1paddywaddy1paddywaddy Posts: 198 Member
    edited December 2013
    'This household is based on Oliver "Daddy" Warbucks and Annie from the franchise Little Orphan Annie. Shirley Templeton's name is a reference to child actress Shirley Temple. Shirley Temple did not actually play Annie in the movies.'

I got this from the sims wikia
    http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Harbucks_household

The original Annie movie came out in 1982.