Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Transferring save files between hard disks

So I just got a new laptop and have installed all my Sims 3 expansion packs (I own all of the EPs up to University except Supernatural). I am now in the process of wanting to move my saved games from my old laptop onto my new one.

I have put the hard disk of my old laptop into a hard disk dock and I am going to transfer the files to my new hard disk this way. The question I have is where do I find the save game files for the Sims 3 University Life? I am in "Program Files > Electronic Arts and I have a list of folders with all EPs but not University Life.

I want to make sure I transfer the correct files so I can play all my old families on my new laptop.

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    Quagmire349Quagmire349 Posts: 65 Member
    edited October 2013
    Ah I think I have found the files; they were in "My Documents" not "Program Files".
    In "My Documents" in my new laptop there is no "Saves" folder where all my save files are located on my old hard disk. Do I need to create one on the new hard disk to transfer them?
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,930 Member
    edited October 2013
    Yes. YOu have found the correct Sims 3 folder. There will be a lot of folders missing as the game only creates them as you need them. You can safely add a new folder and name it Saves. Then put the content of your old Saves folder into the new one.

If you are ever asked to clean out your cache files, this is the Sims 3 folder that you go to in order to do that.

Good luck.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Thanks! I'll create a new folder called "Saves" and transfer them all to see if they will work. My laptop went dead about 6 weeks ago so I haven't played any of my old families for a while now.
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,930 Member
    edited October 2013
    Keep the old hard drive as you may be able to get more off it if you want to try it. But get your games working first.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Yay it all worked! All of my families and saved games work with no problems.

My new laptop is an i7 and I am amazed how fast and smoothly the game runs, even with large families! It also saves and loads much faster now which means I should be able to enjoy and play TS3 a lot more now.