Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Where Are The Open Gay Couples/Gay Sims? (and why I have a problem with TS3 current "gay" Sims)

I've been a huge fan of Sims all through my childhood, even now, branching into my late teens. One issue that has and still bothers me throughout the whole Sims experience is the taboo subject of homosexuality in the Sims franchise. The sever lack of openly gay Sims and gay Couples not only offends me, but many others. Yes TS3 has improved the equality of gay Sims by allowing gay marriage and adoption, but they're still are problems. I have noticed few Sims through visual stereotypes and suggestive bio's to be Lesbian/Gay/Bisexual which is great in the neighborhood diversity sense; but it still reinforces the negative stigma behind homosexuality and it's openness and acceptance that is portrayed in society and media today.

Why is EA/TS3 makers afraid to include openly gay couples/Sims? I will not accept the recent suggested gay couple in the town Aurora Skies or any other sim with suggested homosexual tendencies, as their sexual preference and "relationship" is open to interpretation and personal opinion and change. Now I know there are people who may disagree with homosexuality for what ever reason, but that is no excuse to exclude them from the game or make their orientation discreet. Lots of people don't agree with divorce, or pre-marital sexual intercourse resulting in pregnancy and adultery, yet don't see that excluded from the game and it's seen in pre-made Sims. It's infuriating! This not only perpetuates discreet homophobia but displaying towns with exclusive heterosexuality is reinforcing what is deemed as normal and what isn't by the Sims 3 and EA.

In the Sims 4 I hope and expect to see open gay Sims or couples or you will have failed me yet again. The Sims not only entertains younger influential people but educates them. Displaying a neighborhood of diverse Sims only does good. If someone for what ever reasons disagrees with something or someone in the game, they can delete them/it. Simple! Please don't conform to heteronormality that is reinforced by society EA, please show and teach everyone that being gay isn't something deemed not normal and not fully accepted in the Sims, as gay couples exist and they aren't going away. Not displaying them in your game isn't helping anyone and you're only doing wrong.

Comments

• Options
    MinDtriKzMinDtriKz Posts: 5,441 Member
    edited October 2013
    Yes, we should force homosexuality down everyone's throats because having gay Sims in the game isn't enough. :roll: ETA: We should have more age-gap relationships, blended families, and where are all of the premade horse relationships? So much discrimination in the game! :lol:
  • Options
    calumlzcalumlz Posts: 399 Member
    edited October 2013
    MinDtriKz wrote:
    Yes, we should force homosexuality down everyone's throats because having gay Sims in the game isn't enough. :roll:

How is including gay couples/Sims enforcing homosexuality upon anyone? Please stop being so ignorant and educate yourself.
  • Options
    TheMomminatorTheMomminator Posts: 4,215 Member
    edited October 2013
    I think you want EA to carry a flag for you. They're not going to do that. They're not going to carry any flag for anyone.

All relationships in this game are open to interpretation and change.

You can make as many openly gay couples in your game as you wish. You can do anything you want with them. They can get married. They can adopt children. They suffer from no discrimination or hate.

The tools they have built into the game are really more powerful than any political statement they could make.
  • Options
    simicapsimicap Posts: 85 Member
    edited October 2013
    Here we go again Did you just compare people and horses? :roll:
  • Options
    simicapsimicap Posts: 85 Member
    edited October 2013
    I think you want EA to carry a flag for you. They're not going to do that. They're not going to carry any flag for anyone.

You can make as many openly gay couples in your game as you wish. You can do anything you want with them. They can get married. They can adopt children. They suffer from no discrimination or hate.

The tools they have built into the game are really more powerful than any political statement they could make.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RgEA07lAZI
  • Options
    ValandisValandis Posts: 2,008 Member
    edited October 2013
    You're finding a problem where there is none.

Sims doesn't even have sexuality, they are attracted to whatever sim regardless of their race, species and gender.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Valandis wrote:

Sims doesn't even have sexuality, they are attracted to whatever sim regardless of their race, species and gender.

You're kidding me? Have you played the game? Sims are by default attracted to opposite gender Sims. It's clearly evident throughout the game if you actually play it, with the new attraction tools in the game it's finds the opposite gender attractive unless you force it on the same gender. It's by default promoting the "normality" of heterosexuality and making the player choose if you sim is attracted to same sex Sims or not; the biggest difficulty LGBT people face today the idea that we choose who we are attracted to, which this game is reinforcing.
  • Options
    edited October 2013

I basically just stated everything you said above if you actually read what I typed properly. By default all Sims are set to be heterosexual. That's my problem. I want gay Sims/gay couples who people can chop and change all they want, that I have 0 problem with. But why are gay couples not included default and why do I have to create them unlike heterosexual couples in the game?
  • Options
    alexspoom13alexspoom13 Posts: 7,439 Member
    edited October 2013
    I think I'm going to need my popcorn for this one... ;)
  • Options
    ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    edited October 2013
    calumlz wrote:
    Valandis wrote:

You're kidding me? Have you played the game? Sims are by default attracted to opposite gender Sims. It's clearly evident throughout the game if you actually play it, with the new attraction tools in the game it's finds the opposite gender attractive unless you force it on the same gender. It's by default promoting the "normality" of heterosexuality and making the player choose if you sim is attracted to same sex Sims or not; the biggest difficulty LGBT people face today the idea that we choose who we are attracted to, which this game is reinforcing.

Because I don't have enough problems in my life..

Actually you're wrong. The attraction system doesn't seem to care two wits for whom your sims find attractive. Mine find same sex sims attractive all the time along with the opposing sex. It doesn't have a preference that I can ascertain.

Taking aside the attraction system in all it's wonderfulness, your sims are bisexual or asexual for the most part. EA and TS3 from what I'm aware don't have a preference in sexuality but leave it up to you.

I doubt they're ever going to have same sex couples in the game, any game, but leave it open to interpretation.

ETA: Will not be back. Alex, share the popcorn.
  • Options
    Fordee09Fordee09 Posts: 7,341 Member
    edited October 2013
    calumlz wrote:
    Valandis wrote:

...No.

Made a family recently to add and play around with in SV. What was the man's first wish? To flirt with his male neighbour. And I went ahead and did it, they make a cute couple those two.

By default; all Sims' are bisexual, it is the player who decides whether they will go with the wish of a Sim, or go against it. It is not EA's fault.

It is even stupid to assume EA have purposely made all their Sims' leaning towards heterosexuality. Have you never played Mass Effect or Dragon Age (EA Games)?

Please, stop trying to cause a stir in the community. Your facts are wrong, all Sims' are bisexual and it is up to the player to decide whether they'll be heterosexual, homosexual, or remain bisexual.

So, even though it is the players' choice- EA have nothing to do with it. Because, once again- all Sims' are bisexual. It is nothing against same-sex relationships, nothing at all.

Plus, if you play with Free-Will, like I do. You'll see that a lot of Sims' flirt with the same-sex autonomously. So, although it sometimes is the choice of the player, a lot of simmers' also like some things to play out for itself.

I'd happily welcome more LGBT friendly families and households in 'The Sims', and EA could happily add them. EA aren't against homosexuals, they aren't supporting the 'normality' of heterosexuals.

EA doesn't disregard homosexuality, The Sims doesn't disregard homosexuality, please, stop making a huge deal out of this.
    tumblr_mnt6wnw49M1rx891yo2_500.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I think I'm going to need my popcorn for this one... ;)

You know it! :wink:
    joker-popcorn.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Sims are neither homosexual nor heterosexual by default. There is no gender preference flag anywhere. They are whatever you or story progression makes them.

So what is it that you want? A sim description that reads "Openly gay"? Not going to happen.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Arletta wrote:
    calumlz wrote:
    Valandis wrote:

Actually you're wrong. The attraction system doesn't seem to care two wits for whom your sims find attractive. Mine find same sex sims attractive all the time along with the opposing sex. It doesn't have a preference that I can ascertain.

Taking aside the attraction system in all it's wonderfulness, your sims are bisexual or asexual for the most part. EA and TS3 from what I'm aware don't have a preference in sexuality but leave it up to you.

I doubt they're ever going to have same sex couples in the game, any game, but leave it open to interpretation.

In all the time I've played it and I try not to enforce a sexual preference on my sims, 100% of the time they always are attracted to the opposite gender. I have yet to have a Sim who seems to be attracted to the same sex by default. And if this was the case, why is there mods out there to solve this very issue? (nraas gender preference at birth without predetermined interference) If Sims could be attracted to anyone why is it always, in my experience, to the same sex? But I know all Sims are stated to be bisexual and perhaps in some peoples games they are; I wouldn't know. I have no doubt with my interaction they can become attracted to the same sex, but I have failed to see them to attracted or be attracted to same sex with free will and by default. But there is a bigger issue and that's the pre-made sims and the lack of gay open Sims/Sims couples.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Sims are neither homosexual nor heterosexual by default. There is no gender preference flag anywhere. They are whatever you or story progression makes them.

So what is it that you want? A sim description that reads "Openly gay"? Not going to happen.

Well you see often in bio's sims sexual preferences eg. "he's popular with the ladies" why can't there be one about a gay man? You see this is heteronormality at play and any tiny influx of diversity and people like you see issue.
  • Options
    Fin490Fin490 Posts: 49
    edited October 2013
    calumlz wrote:
    Valandis wrote:

What would you suggest? Randomly generated gay sims, and an option to set sexuality in CAS? Sexuality isn't binary. Statistically there are more heterosexual couples than homosexual couples, so can't you just imagine that maybe the town happens be one where there are none. Also from what I hear SP makes plenty of heterosexual relationships. And some of the countries EA releases the sims in would outright condemn the game if it had premades.

I'm sorry if you feel underrepresented but you have to understand the sims is just a game. It isn't trying to make a statement for any particular group of people. It isn't preaching to the masses; It doesn't even have religion in it!

It's just a game that gives you the opportunity to make it the way you want it, but it has to start as a blank slate. I don't agree with it, and you obviously don't, but that is just the way it has to be.
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited October 2013
    calumlz wrote:
    MinDtriKz wrote:
    Yes, we should force homosexuality down everyone's throats because having gay Sims in the game isn't enough. :roll:

How is including gay couples/Sims enforcing homosexuality upon anyone? Please stop being so ignorant and educate yourself.

The only one being ignorant is you. You have to understand this is a very controversial topic (there's been a few threads already, we don't need more) and at this point in time, it's not accepted by everyone. Calling people uneducated makes their feelings towards this even worse, js.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the way it works now. I'm not going to reiterate what others have said, but that's the way the system works and it's works fine for the majority - no matter what their interests are with their Sims. I understand you want to spread your sexuality to everyone in this world, but I don't really care for it in my game - we have the store and other crap shoved down our throats in the game already, sorry.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    calumlz wrote:
    Arletta wrote:
    calumlz wrote:
    Valandis wrote:

In all the time I've played it and I try not to enforce a sexual preference on my sims, 100% of the time they always are attracted to the opposite gender. I have yet to have a Sim who seems to be attracted to the same sex by default. And if this was the case, why is there mods out there to solve this very issue? (nraas gender preference at birth without predetermined interference) If Sims could be attracted to anyone why is it always, in my experience, to the same sex? But I know all Sims are stated to be bisexual and perhaps in some peoples games they are; I wouldn't know. I have no doubt with my interaction they can become attracted to the same sex, but I have failed to see them to attracted or be attracted to same sex with free will and by default. But there is a bigger issue and that's the pre-made sims and the lack of gay open Sims/Sims couples.

The reason why we haven't had any proper same-sex couples in the game is because, believe it or not, same-sex relationships aren't tolerated all over the world.

'The Sims' is sold in loads and loads of countries around the world. All of the countries have different views, different laws, different religions, and different people.
    For example; if TS4 had a homosexual couple in the game, a country that is deeply religious and conservative would be in uproar to EA about it. There are even some countries out there that jail people because they're attracted to the same sex.

So, as much as I, you, and a lot of simmers' would love to see a same-sex couple in 'The Sims', don't hold your breath- because it'll be a long time until all the countries in the world come to finally accept different sexualities other than heterosexuality.

I'm sorry, but, that is the harsh truth.

Edit: Someone beat me to the point! 8)
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Your need for premade sims to be openly gay is what leads me to think you want them to make a political statement. They're not going to. They shouldn't. They built a game that makes it possible for you to do whatever you want. They don't need to get on a soapbox for you too.

I don't think we're playing the same game. I've played with both EA's story progression and Twallan's story progression mod. Both produce gay couples. I also don't know what mod of Twallan's you're describing that has a gender preference from birth. I don't use the whole suite but I do use SP and Woohooer. I haven't seen that interaction anywhere but I could have missed it.
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited October 2013
    Fin490 wrote:
    calumlz wrote:
    Valandis wrote:

What would you suggest? Randomly generated gay sims, and an option to set sexuality in CAS? Sexuality isn't binary. Statistically there are more heterosexual couples than homosexual couples, so can't you just imagine that maybe the town happens be one where there are none. Also from what I hear SP makes plenty of heterosexual relationships. And some of the countries EA releases the sims in would outright condemn the game if it had premades.

I'm sorry if you feel underrepresented but you have to understand the sims is just a game. It isn't trying to make a statement for any particular group of people. It isn't preaching to the masses; It doesn't even have religion in it!

It's just a game that gives you the opportunity to make it the way you want it, but it has to start as a blank slate. I don't agree with it, and you obviously don't, but that is just the way it has to be.

Agreed. If people want to tweak the game to their likings, there's no law against it.

The Sims has a very strong Russian fanbase as well and they're not going to take the risk with the $$$ - this whole situation would honestly hurt their sales.
  • Options
    Neosquid30Neosquid30 Posts: 67
    edited October 2013
    Actually I have had quite a few homosexual sims. In fact I have one sim currently that only receives dates from other sims of the same sex, and he only falls in love with other males. I don't see why this is such a big problem, the game obviously recognizes the existence of homosexual couples. Suddenly you feel offended because things are not exactly how you wanted.

Also, the game is not enforcing that people choose their sexuality because you can choose who your sims dates. By that logic the sims is also falsely teaching you that aliens are only.
  • Options
    GreenCatsGreenCats Posts: 9,318 Member
    edited October 2013
    calumlz wrote:
    Valandis wrote:

That's not been my experience at all, but I have mods so I can't say how it would be in a vanilla game. My sims get attraction pop ups for basically everyone they meet!

Personally, I like that sims do not have a sexual orientation. It gives everyone the freedom to play the way they want, without having to restrict in advance the kinds of sims to which their household members will be attracted. I can completely see why someone would prefer to be able to play as a self-identified gay sim, who is exclusively attracted to sims of the same sex. Just for my own game, I prefer not having to define things.

I would however love to see more same sex couples as premades. Like you, i'm thrilled that we can create them ourselves, and have them adopt children, but ii think it's bad that all the premade couples are in opposite sex relationships. (Those 'friends' in Aurra Skies don't count.)

I was really interested in what you said about implictly gay sims being stereotyped in the game, and I was wondering of which premades you were thinking? (I'm not trying to disagree - just interested and wanting to hear more.)

Xx
    You can still find me on my old My page (http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/GreenCats), and see more of my game-play pictures and CC-free uploads at gcsims.com
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Your need for premade sims to be openly gay is what leads me to think you want them to make a political statement. They're not going to. They shouldn't. They built a game that makes it possible for you to do whatever you want. They don't need to get on a soapbox for you too.

I don't think we're playing the same game. I've played with both EA's story progression and Twallan's story progression mod. Both produce gay couples. I also don't know what mod of Twallan's you're describing that has a gender preference from birth. I don't use the whole suite but I do use SP and Woohooer. I haven't seen that interaction anywhere but I could have missed it.

Political Statement? I just want to see people of all different backgrounds and situations and for the most part there are; ranging from interracial couples, large age difference, to single parents. But homosexuality is absent and it offends me as it is seen as OK to just not include lgb people as it may not fit to everyone's personal taste. Not everyone is going to agree with pre-marital sex and it's illegal in some countries but yet they have an unmarried pregnant woman in Sunset Valley.

It's the mod Master Controller and you can set Sims gender preferences and all Sims by default are seemed to have heterosexual tendencies by the game. Also SP mod pre determines some new born's to same sex attraction I'm pretty sure.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    GreenCats wrote:
    calumlz wrote:
    Valandis wrote:

That's not been my experience at all, but I have mods so I can't say how it would be in a vanilla game. My sims get attraction pop ups for basically everyone they meet!

Personally, I like that sims do not have a sexual orientation. It gives everyone the freedom to play the way they want, without having to restrict in advance the kinds of sims to which their household members will be attracted. I can completely see why someone would prefer to be able to play as a self-identified gay sim, who is exclusively attracted to sims of the same sex. Just for my own game, I prefer not having to define things.

I would however love to see more same sex couples as premades. Like you, i'm thrilled that we can create them ourselves, and have them adopt children, but ii think it's bad that all the premade couples are in opposite sex relationships. (Those 'friends' in Aurra Skies don't count.)

I was really interested in what you said about implictly gay sims being stereotyped in the game, and I was wondering of which premades you were thinking? (I'm not trying to disagree - just interested and wanting to hear more.)

Xx

I'm not sure of names but in the base town Sunset Valley you see the implied gay sims in the town to bare stereotypes, one of the females who is supposedly a lesbian, looking rather butch and distinctively different - which i don't have a problem with as those types of lesbians exist and there isn't any negative connotations with being butch in my books, all types should be embraced. But yes, I found it obvious to see the implied gay sims to bare stereotypes and making it slightly obvious that they were lgb.
  • Options
    DuncanDisorderlyDuncanDisorderly Posts: 119 Member
    edited October 2013
    Been gay playing The gay Sims since gay vanilla and can't quite understand what the gay OP wants. Then again, the OP is a tadpole, once he explores the pond a bit more, hopefully his view will broaden.

Since the start, the designers gave the sims the ability to go one way or the other. In fact, I like how they don't make an issue out of it. Why should it be an issue in the first place? Don't you get it? They don't define sexuality because there shouldn't be a need to.

There are always people who have a superficial need to speak out either to support a cause or to condemn it. In my opinion, they both do damage to the cause. I am a man who happens to be gay. Does that define me or give me my identity? If it does, then I am pretty shallow I reckon. My attitude is simple, I don't hide who I am, but at the same time, I don't flaunt it. The whole "gay culture" is offensive to gay men who have no need for such pettiness. I cringe every time I see some queen with a new show doing makeovers. The media have stereotyped gay sexuality so well, even gay people think it's how it should be.

It makes me laugh, Pride Parade. Once a year, queens get dressed up to announce to the world something the world already knows the other 364 days of the year. We're here, we're *****, get used to it. When I hear that motto, I can't help but ask... Okaaaaay, we get it, you're ***** and you're here, is that all there is about you??

Me, I don't need a parade, I have pride in myself 365 days a year and none of it is about my sexuality. In fact, this is one of the rare times I have been compelled to speak out.

Hope my insight gives new perspective.
    Garga blarg blarg!
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top