Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Update 1.63 and Windows 8

Hi there I was just wondering if anyone installed update 1.63 on a Windows 8 computer and if the game was able to play after the update. This is mainly because after update 1.57 The Sims 3 no longer worked on my Windows 8 computer and I just wanted to be sure it works before I install it.
Adam A.K.A. AdamGamerSim14

Comments

• Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    edited October 2013
    hi AdamGamerSim14

i havent seen any reports that it is not - can you describe better the problems you are having and the steps you took to try to fix

also see the section problems after patching to see if this fixes the problem
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/719214.page
  • Options
    AdamGamerSim14AdamGamerSim14 Posts: 76 Member
    edited October 2013
    The game was originally getting an error when I opened the launcher so I contacted tech support and they had me run the game in compatibility mode but it crashed so I reinstalled the base game and skipped update 1.57.
  • Options
    xxFrank33xxxxFrank33xx Posts: 1
    edited October 2013
    Hi there I was just wondering if anyone installed update 1.63 on a Windows 8 computer and if the game was able to play after the update. This is mainly because after update 1.57 The Sims 3 no longer worked on my Windows 8 computer and I just wanted to be sure it works before I install it.

I have updated my game to 1.63 and it's not working at the moment. Once I get to the with my sim families and click on the big tick to play, it says the sims 3 has stopped working. I have windows 8,and my game worked fine before that, so i'm not sure why it's not working.
  • Options
    AdamGamerSim14AdamGamerSim14 Posts: 76 Member
    edited October 2013
    Thanks for the heads up, ya know I really wish EA would release an update or at least a solution to this Windows 8 compatibility issue.
  • Options
    edited October 2013

I have updated my game to 1.63 and it's not working at the moment. Once I get to the with my sim families and click on the big tick to play, it says the sims 3 has stopped working. I have windows 8,and my game worked fine before that, so i'm not sure why it's not working.

hey frank please review this patch help thread http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/719214.page
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Thanks for the heads up, ya know I really wish EA would release an update or at least a solution to this Windows 8 compatibility issue.

AdamGamerSim14 - many play sims 3 with sims 8 - i know CS says its not compatible but in practice it is for many if not most with win 8

moreover there could be other reasons like hardware or game data that have made playing the game a challenge

may i suggest review the crash check list to see if it can help
    http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Sims_3_Crashing_Checklist
  • Options
    EveebellaEveebella Posts: 832 Member
    edited October 2013
    Hello I have updated and I have windows 8, my sims plays fine no problems, I have all EP's and SP's installed. I did have to super patch for the 1.57 update but not this one.

Eveebella
  • Options
    JenieusaJenieusa Posts: 5,142 Member
    edited October 2013
    patched my game last night...all works well on my Win 8 computer
  • Options
    crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited October 2013
    Are you on Win 8 or Win 8.1 ?
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    Kail16Kail16 Posts: 3,051 Member
    edited October 2013
    I have a windows 8 computer and I can play the game just fine, its the ugly new loading screen game that I can't handle.
  • Options
    Sid1701D9Sid1701D9 Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited October 2013
    If you are playing the Sims 3 base only and or with WA with both digital and cd change compatibility to Windows XP or Window 7 as in the windows 8 compatibility it says that the base game and WA does not support windows 8, but any expansion packs past WA added support of Windows 8.

Notice: Upgrading from windows 7 to Windows 8 will cause some games to think the old drivers are still valid and crash the games that have not updated there pointers to the new drivers. go into ~/documents/electronic arts/ and delete deviceConfig.log and setting.ini and restart game and it should work.
    Sid1701d-"I love my life, live my life and live to play, laugh and have fun."

"Love will Fight, Love will Win and Love will Survive."
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Sid1701D9 wrote:
    If you are playing the Sims 3 base only and or with WA with both digital and cd change compatibility to Windows XP or Window 7 as in the windows 8 compatibility it says that the base game and WA does not support windows 8, but any expansion packs past WA added support of Windows 8.

Notice: Upgrading from windows 7 to Windows 8 will cause some games to think the old drivers are still valid and crash the games that have not updated there pointers to the new drivers. go into ~/documents/electronic arts/ and delete deviceConfig.log and setting.ini and restart game and it should work.

ive never heard on any older EP having issues can you please provide info
  • Options
    Sid1701D9Sid1701D9 Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited October 2013
    This is only for the upgrade version of Windows 8 though not for the DVD Clean install.

It goes through a list and tells you what is compatible and what is not and than I click a link that takes me to a website called Microsoft windows 8 compatibility. I can't remember the link at hand, but it said The Sims 3 base game incompatible, maybe compatible in XP/7 compatibility modes. It said the same thing for Sims 3 WA, All other expansion packs have updated their installers for windows 8 through patches. The reason I recommend against patching the base game and WA if you just have that installed is each patch after WA adds some free elements from each expansion pack to the base game increasing its size. Also watch windows 8 built in antivirus and firewall as they tend to like to block .exe files that change sizes.

Edit: here is the Site:

Windows 8 Compatibility Center
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/CompatCenter/Home
    Sid1701d-"I love my life, live my life and live to play, laugh and have fun."

"Love will Fight, Love will Win and Love will Survive."
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Sid1701D9 wrote:
    This is only for the upgrade version of Windows 8 though not for the DVD Clean install.

It goes through a list and tells you what is compatible and what is not and than I click a link that takes me to a website called Microsoft windows 8 compatibility. I can't remember the link at hand, but it said The Sims 3 base game incompatible, maybe compatible in XP/7 compatibility modes. It said the same thing for Sims 3 WA, All other expansion packs have updated their installers for windows 8 through patches. The reason I recommend against patching the base game and WA if you just have that installed is each patch after WA adds some free elements from each expansion pack to the base game increasing its size. Also watch windows 8 built in antivirus and firewall as they tend to like to block .exe files that change sizes.

Edit: here is the Site:

Windows 8 Compatibility Center
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/CompatCenter/Home
    thanks! ill give it a looksee
  • Options
    LittleMinxUndrLittleMinxUndr Posts: 4,196 Member
    edited October 2013
    Even though the Win8-DVD says it is an upgrade, you can wipe the HDD clean and start the DVD (I used a bootstrapper stored on a USB-Drive). Win8 will install normally since it is a full-blown OS. It will save you a lot of problems upgrading from Win7.

Reporting that on my PC with Win8 Professional (+all current OS-updates), the game with all EPs and SPs runs flawlessly under 1.63
  • Options
    NrrrdGam3rgrrrlNrrrdGam3rgrrrl Posts: 1
    edited October 2013
    I just updated to Windows 8.1 and I have had nothing but problems since. Brand new gaming PC. I keep getting a script error on the launcher now and have exhausted all options I know how to take. Everything is up to date on my computer, I have Adobe Air, pop up blockers off etc. Still nothing, and my Welcome screen on the launcher is blank, but all other pages are fine. I give up :\
  • Options
    RosalilRosalil Posts: 68 New Member
    edited October 2013
    Hello. I have a brand new windows 8 computer that worked exceptionally well before this latest patch. Now my game crash soon after finishing load family. When my game allows me to play for a little while every frame changes so slow (playing is no fun when you have to wait for the screen to load every sim-minute).
  • Options
    yenialyenial Posts: 198 Member
    edited October 2013
    I have been having problems with my game too, after updating my game with the new patch. The only difference from the others is that I use Windows 8.1. I don't think the OS is the problem, but the patch. I'll try to run the game in Windows 7 compatibility mode and see if that helps.
  • Options
    lovelylisaclovelylisac Posts: 1,291 Member
    edited October 2013
    I have Windows 8 and my game is fine since the patch. I like the new loading screen, although it is very slow responding on some saves.
  • Options
    RosalilRosalil Posts: 68 New Member
    edited October 2013
    Rosalil wrote:
    Hello. I have a brand new windows 8 computer that worked exceptionally well before this latest patch. Now my game crash soon after finishing load family. When my game allows me to play for a little while every frame changes so slow (playing is no fun when you have to wait for the screen to load every sim-minute).

Just want to say that my game was back to normal today. I guess I started playing too soon and perhaps the path hadn't settled yet...
  • Options
    MelSue715MelSue715 Posts: 14 New Member
    edited October 2013
    I just bought a new computer 2 weeks ago with Windows 8. After I installed the update today, I've had little to no problems. I will admit that it's been running a bit slower and sticky, but it's nothing I'm not used to going from a 7-year old Windows Vista computer to this :D The only thing that concerns me is adventuring. My family went from returning from University directly to France. I'm waiting about 5-10 seconds for each Sim minute. But like I said, nothing I haven't been accustomed to.
  • Options
    gayarsgayars Posts: 2,229 Member
    edited November 2013
    I have windows 8, and the game ran after the 1.63 patch but I would have to save my old games then use task manager to exit the game as it would never go to main menu or quit. However, a new game would save fine (this was true on vanilla games and not vanilla games btw.) It was the patch, not ITF. I even tried installing the super patch, but it really messed things up, so wound up reinstalling the whole freaking game then updating the rest of the way after installing Into the Future. I was able to play again, but still have the same problem. Oh well. Since I tried all ways of patching and the problem still showed up, it was obviously something included in every patch.