Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims4 Looks like a bad cartoon......What happened?

Comments

• Options
    MinDtriKzMinDtriKz Posts: 5,441 Member
    edited October 2013
    tavoris08 wrote:
    If you ask me I think people are overly concerned

let us not forget how the sims 3 had a major impact on people's computer systems just graphically.

if indeed EA is going to use this particular style of graphics in the game its only because they're trying to compensate for people (The majority of players) who do not have a very strong computer two run a graphic heavy game.

You don't need to talk for anyone other than yourself. There's no proof that any "majority" sides with either argument about the graphics.
  • Options
    tavoris08tavoris08 Posts: 344 Member
    edited October 2013
    MinDtrikz wrote: You don't need to talk for anyone other than yourself. There's no proof that any "majority" sides with either argument about the graphics.

I never said that was an actual fact, just my own opinion. furthermore Its still a possibility regardless of what anyone may have to say about it. :)
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Tj08-2-1.jpg
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    edited October 2013
    The Sims 4 is looking awesome :lol: awesome for a game for 5-8 year olds that are playing on a pc with a graphics card from 10 years ago :P
  • Options
    NeonivekNeonivek Posts: 1,373 Member
    edited October 2013
    awesome for a game for 5-8 year olds that are playing on a pc with a graphics card from 10 years ago

and yet so far is far superior to the game for 2 year olds playing on a PC with a graphics card from 5 years from now.

I'd rather play a great game from 10 years ago... then a flop five years from now.

Which is what you must always remember.
  • Options
    AmazingSims79879AmazingSims79879 Posts: 1,003 Member
    edited October 2013
    Neonivek wrote:
    awesome for a game for 5-8 year olds that are playing on a pc with a graphics card from 10 years ago

and yet so far is far superior to the game for 2 year olds playing on a PC with a graphics card from 5 years from now.

I'd rather play a great game from 10 years ago... then a flop five years from now.

Which is what you must always remember.

What sort of flop? Why should it bother me whether something is critically or commercially successful? I loved Sims Medieval, I also love The Wizard of Oz.
  • Options
    NeonivekNeonivek Posts: 1,373 Member
    edited October 2013
    What sort of flop? Why should it bother me whether something is critically or commercially successful?

Critically.

You get a lot more bang for your buck sacrificing graphical power (not "how good a game looks" rather how big a graphics card you need to run it) for gameplay then you do the other way around.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,534 Member
    edited October 2013
    The sims 4 looks a lot less cartooney then the sims 2 did.
  • Options
    JenZ4HeavenZJenZ4HeavenZ Posts: 631 Member
    edited October 2013
    the only think i dislike really is the hair.. they said the game will allow for CC.. and like all the other sims games I have ever owned I will have to likely have CC to make my sims more presentable to me.. There has not been one sims game yet that didn't need to be improved upon as far as graphics..
  • Options
    DarleymikeyDarleymikey Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited October 2013
    I'm no expert in the field of coding, 3D modeling or anything even...

But even me, with my limited knowledge of PC games, feel the need to interfere when people say it's cartoony
    or a visual downgrade for the reason that it is, or was meant to be, an online game.

Multiplayer games have their share of limitations, but they also allow for extremely vast virtual worlds and next generation graphics.

As far as I'm concerned, the only limitations of an online Sims4 were the possibility of towns infested with trolls and 🐸🐸🐸🐸,
    and the possibility of having no CC to the game. But visual quality? If that was a factor, I think it was misinformed.

You know, thinking back, there are some online games that pushed the graphics envelope. WOW was pretty neat for its time, heck Ultima Online wasn't bad, nor was Everquest, Conan, Guild Wars II, Star Wars Old Republic (they did nix higher quality textures, but you could still access them with a modded .ini file), Final Fantasy xi/xiv (ugly game play, pretty)etc. I still don't think the mainstream ones have the customization options, though, that single player ones have. But I think you make a fair point.

The lack of CASt, however, still strikes me as a holdover from an online set of benchmarks. I think THAT would have been very difficult, as I think you'd have to exchange you're unique custom textures with others, requiring everyone in the scene to load them, their unique colors, placement within channel on the clothing, etc.
    wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited October 2013
    Posting as a new thread.
  • Options
    rjdreamer53rjdreamer53 Posts: 1,050 Member
    edited October 2013
    Well , what do you expect from "EA"? I am answering the OP's question. :shock:
  • Options
    MckenzieMemberMckenzieMember Posts: 1,231 Member
    edited October 2013
    06Bon06 wrote:
    The Sims 4 is looking awesome :lol: awesome for a game for 5-8 year olds that are playing on a pc with a graphics card from 10 years ago :P
    That made me laugh :lol:
    Yes but there was a major improvement on how the sims in TS2 looked compared to the sims in TS1. Therefore people weren't too fussed back then at how cartoony the Sims 2 sims looked.
    Plus from what I recall TS2 graphics were okay for a game of that time - 2004. Where as now games have improved by leaps and bounds technologically/ graphically and some people are annoyed that they don't think TS4 has done the same. Thus compared to other games on the current market as well as those to be released in 2014 TS4, in some people's eyes, does not measure up.
    As I stated before I understand that not all simmers are hard core gamers thus they wouldn't meet the requirements to run such a graphic intensive game.
    However I still feel EA didn't need to choose such a cartoony art style in order for TS4 to be playable on (practically) every Simmer's computer.
  • Options
    RAE2786RAE2786 Posts: 683 New Member
    edited October 2013
    Yes but there was a major improvement on how the sims in TS2 looked compared to the sims in TS1. Therefore people weren't too fussed back then at how cartoony the Sims 2 sims looked.

Exactly. When you look at the first few seconds of the TS2 trailer, it seems like the MAIN focus was the improved graphics from TS1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9u1zMCos8w
  • Options
    Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    edited October 2013
    RAE2786 wrote:

Exactly. When you look at the first few seconds of the TS2 trailer, it seems like the MAIN focus was the improved graphics from TS1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9u1zMCos8w

Correct.

I know every time a new sequel comes out/console, one of things I am curious to see any visual improvements. Although a lot of the games I own is already there, however I have yet to play and experience a game like TLoU or Beyond: Two Souls. Anyway, all I (my perception) hear is, "We can't do this and we can't do that. It's either this 'or' that and no way will it ever be both because you know many, many and many more will buy it anyway so who cares. Besides many appear to be satisfied with the minimal so why make TS even bigger than it has to be? 8) We can screw up big and guess what? Still many would buy, so yeah, who cares."

I don't understand how a game with a title such as Best Selling PC game of all time, yet cannot give the best (my opinion) of everything. It's like they are limiting the game for the sake of saving money but at the same time making so much money since many consumers are satisfied with the minimal. Oh well...I stop with TS3.

giphy.gif

I was not expecting TS4 to be like MGS4 visually but I did expect it to be better and more realistic than TS3 art style. Since, you know, it seemed like they were going in that direction with more realism but still a bit cartoony. No they went all out stylized cartoon land and characters compared to TS3 which is the last game before it. (Obviously I feel TS3 is the most realistic, visually speaking, Sims game to date. That's what I see, nice for you if you see something entirely different.)

giphy.gif

Sequel inconsistencies, gotta love em' right? AMIRITE!? < Rhetorical sarcastic question.
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    SuRihtanilSuRihtanil Posts: 1,456 Member
    edited October 2013
    Graphics look like crap but hopefully the gameplay is really good.
  • Options
    heb2008heb2008 Posts: 178 Member
    edited October 2013
    ok so unpopular opinion here but I'm actually fine with the graphics! sure the hair could be a little better but they're definitely focusing on the gameplay more! I don't know about you guys, but I had SO many glitches playing Sims 3 it would always shut down (especially in CAS) and I ended up just now playing it. My computer wasn't even old, either, the game was just heavy! They're trying to make it easy for EVERYONE to play. Those who like extreme detail in their sims' bodies/faces/hair can use CC but those looking for good gameplay would be fine! Also, your sims look more detailed in CAS than in the world for a reason; it helps the game run smoother. They're hoping that you'd be in the world busy with your gameplay and then come back to CAS if you wanted to focus more on details. The Sims has never meant to be that realistic..keep in mind also they haven't finished the game yet so the end result might be different than what the trailer shows. Have you seen already how much detail has been put into the gameplay so far? The moods regarding furniture are awesome! That's just a precursor for what's yet to come!

ETA: I'm super psyched for it to come out and I'm happy they're not focusing in on each and every detail. I want my game to run smoothly and smooth gameplay comes first for me, not pretty hair (although if they could make it look a little less playmobil-y that'd be good too)
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I can understand how people want the game to be more life-like and realistic. The game is after all a virtual life simulator that is supposed to simulate everyday lifestyle. BUT!! The game was intended to be a goofy, silly, and fun life-like simulator that allows you to recreate moments in everyday life or make your own, in a way that it was both fun, emotional, and interesting to play.

However, I just can't see The Sims series becoming this ultra realistic life simulator with Sims that looks almost like real people. I mean just think about how much of the goofiness and sillyness it would take from the game series because it's more focused on realism than just having fun. Think about how your sim would look and sound if they were to speak Simlish while almost looking like an actual person. To me that just wouldn't go well.

Also think about how much more time and money would have to be put into making the game more life-like and real, just making the animations would be harder and more time consuming. It would actually cause the game to cost more in the end because of such changes and don't get me started on the possible system problems it might likely cause. I wish people would stop worrying so much about how the game looks an more on how it functions. If you want to more life-like high graphics gameplay then that's what CC is there for.

Tj08-2-1.jpg
  • Options
    DarleymikeyDarleymikey Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited October 2013
    If we can get transparency maps (I think that's what they are called) on the hair, solid hair can be made to look like its composed of numerous individual strands. I find myself actually coming to EA's defense (somewhat) on the hair, after waiting an extra 60 minutes for a DAZ render to finish, with 15 of those minutes due the final 2% of the render trying to draw an area of shadows created by individual hair strands. The other hair in the render looks better, actually, and took a fraction of the time for the software to draw.
    wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    The thing I wish they would do is make the hair look and move around more naturally, unlike the hair in ts3. it looks like its stuck, as if someone used a lot of hair grease to the point it just stuck together and is as hard as a rock.
    Tj08-2-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Deshong04 wrote:
    (snip)
    Anyway, all I (my perception) hear is, "We can't do this and we can't do that. It's either this 'or' that and no way will it ever be both because you know many, many and many more will buy it anyway so who cares. Besides many appear to be satisfied with the minimal so why make TS even bigger than it has to be? 8) We can screw up big and guess what? Still many would buy, so yeah, who cares."

I don't understand how a game with a title such as Best Selling PC game of all time, yet cannot give the best (my opinion) of everything. It's like they are limiting the game for the sake of saving money but at the same time making so much money since many consumers are satisfied with the minimal. Oh well...I stop with TS3.

I was not expecting TS4 to be like MGS4 visually but I did expect it to be better and more realistic than TS3 art style. Since, you know, it seemed like they were going in that direction with more realism but still a bit cartoony. No they went all out stylized cartoon land and characters compared to TS3 which is the last game before it. (Obviously I feel TS3 is the most realistic, visually speaking, Sims game to date.

Agreed. As EA know that the majority of sims fans will buy TS4 regardless of whether they like the art style or not. I doubt they care about the simmers such as us who were expecting the graphics to be a bit more realistic than TS3, but not as realistic as some of the games that are currently available on the PC. Which is why they took their dumbed down online game and decided to make it TS4 base game.
    However as TS3 is the best in the series in terms of realism I reckon I will be sticking with it and skipping TS4.

P.S I loved your gifs: Pocahontas is my favourite Disney film and I love the film The Road to Eldorado. They both have such good soundtacks as well :P
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    tavoris08 wrote:
    I can understand how people want the game to be more life-like and realistic. The game is after all a virtual life simulator that is supposed to simulate everyday lifestyle. BUT!! The game was intended to be a goofy, silly, and fun life-like simulator that allows you to recreate moments in everyday life or make your own, in a way that it was both fun, emotional, and interesting to play.

Although I can see your point. When TS3 was released it wasn't really like TS2, in that, it lost it's goofiness and charm, which many people were annoyed about, myself included, as TS2 was and still is my favourite sims game. So I think with TS4 the creators have opted to try and get TS4 to be like TS2 in terms of its cartoon graphics and zany humour. However for some, such as myself we have gotten used to the sims being more realistic, as well playing other PC games that look pretty realistic, well that's the case for me anyway. So when the devs turned round and said "Hey look at TS4 we're trying to get it back to TS2" My first thought was: Well what's the point. I'm used to playing realistic looking characters now in both The Sims 3 as well as other games.

I loved TS2 but like many others I accepted the style and gameplay of TS3 which meant getting used to the fact that The Sims game was no longer cartoony and goofy, thus I accepted the route TS3 took us down. I feel that, in terms of graphics, EA should have continued down the route TS3 devs chose, instead of backtracking and trying to claw back TS2 style of things. I think it's a little too late for that now.
    tavoris08 wrote:
    However, I just can't see The Sims series becoming this ultra realistic life simulator with Sims that looks almost like real people. I mean just think about how much of the goofiness and silliness it would take from the game series because it's more focused on realism than just having fun. Think about how your sim would look and sound if they were to speak Simlish while almost looking like an actual person. To me that just wouldn't go well.

From what I gather after reading at least 100+ posts on this forum regarding TS4 graphics: Those, such as myself, who wanted the game to be more realistic did not want/expect it to be ultra realistic. I have yet to come across 1 post in which someone claims they would like TS4 to have ultra realistic graphics.Rather they/we just wanted it to be a bit more polished/ realistic than The Sims 3/ The Sims Medieval.
    With regards to the series loosing it's goofiness and silliness for more realism instead - That has already happened with TS3 and that game still managed to sell millions.
    Therefore if TS3 Devs took away the goofiness and silliness of the Sims series with TS3, I think that shows that those who design the game are willing to sacrifice what ever needs to be sacrificed in order for them to achieve their vision of the game:
    In TS3 they sacrificed charm and quirkiness for more realism. And in TS4 they've sacrificed realism for quirkiness and charm.
    tavoris08 wrote:
    ..... I wish people would stop worrying so much about how the game looks an more on how it functions. If you want to more life-like high graphics gameplay then that's what CC is there for.

Sorry but I'm pretty shallow when it comes to gaming. I like to play aesthetically appealing games hence why I bought a gaming laptop so I could do so. :D
    As for the point about CC. Well EA doesn't exactly have a good past record when it comes to CC as they would rather people buy extra content from the store. Which is why I believe that if EA have it their way CC will be a lot harder to create and install for TS4.
    Plus there's only so much custom content can do. CC creators have to work with the textures and coding of the game. Now if EA have made TS4 look very cartoony with bright, saturated textures then it will be practically impossible for CC creators to remove that art style and make TS4 look more realistic. Which is why I don't intend on getting TS4 as no matter how much CC I download that cartoon art style will always be there.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    And I agree with you on that the game has lost its charm, its magic its wonder. But for me it takes a little more than just aesthetically pleasing graphics, for any game to satisfy me. I want to know what the features are I want to know how the game plays, not just how it looks. ( but that's just me ;) ) The game has way more potential than EA let's on, it's pretty sad that they are wasting countless time and money throwing out expansion pack after expansion pack, stuff pack after stuff packed yet half of everything that should be in an expansion pack or stuff packed gets put on the online store.

One reason that I believe that this is happening, is because they have no competition, no one to really challenge them. Because of this they feel they can do whatever they want with the game and everybody will still buy it, they can make pre made expansion packs and stuff packs and people would still buy it. Its the fact that there's no competition to drive them to take their time, the only thing they're focused on is milking the cash cow.

Again The Sims series has so much potential that it's sad that they won't take the time to listen to the players and won't take the time to actually sit there and take their time producing the game. But anyway it's still too early for me to decide whether I'm going to buy it or not , I still want to know what other features they have to offer in it. I'll wait until there's a few "lets plays" out from the playerbase to see how the game works before I forget it.
    Tj08-2-1.jpg
  • Options
    Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    edited October 2013
    Deshong04 wrote:
    (snip)
    Anyway, all I (my perception) hear is, "We can't do this and we can't do that. It's either this 'or' that and no way will it ever be both because you know many, many and many more will buy it anyway so who cares. Besides many appear to be satisfied with the minimal so why make TS even bigger than it has to be? 8) We can screw up big and guess what? Still many would buy, so yeah, who cares."

I was not expecting TS4 to be like MGS4 visually but I did expect it to be better and more realistic than TS3 art style. Since, you know, it seemed like they were going in that direction with more realism but still a bit cartoony. No they went all out stylized cartoon land and characters compared to TS3 which is the last game before it. (Obviously I feel TS3 is the most realistic, visually speaking, Sims game to date.

Agreed. As EA know that the majority of sims fans will buy TS4 regardless of whether they like the art style or not. I doubt they care about the simmers such as us who were expecting the graphics to be a bit more realistic than TS3, but not as realistic as some of the games that are currently available on the PC. Which is why they took their dumbed down online game and decided to make it TS4 base game.
    However as TS3 is the best in the series in terms of realism I reckon I will be sticking with it and skipping TS4.

P.S I loved your gifs: Pocahontas is my favourite Disney film and I love the film The Road to Eldorado. They both have such good soundtacks as well :P

Thanks. I like Disney and Dreamworks. But I think what may be confusing to some is that I love watching cartoons but do not like playing them...in life/social simulators. Also to a certain extent the character(s) has to appeal to me in order for me to care about the story/what happens to them. For example I really want to get The Wolf Among Us and now that I know it's inspired originally from the comic book series Fables by DC Comics/Vertigo, I want that too, lol.
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    tavoris08 wrote:
    And I agree with you on that the game has lost its charm, its magic its wonder. But for me it takes a little more than just aesthetically pleasing graphics, for any game to satisfy me.....

Don't get me wrong, I have done and do still play games that may not be that realistic/ excellent in terms of graphics such as; Mario Kart, The Monkey Island series, Wii Sports, Super Mario Bros, Nintendogs, Pokemon, Sonic, Theme Hospital, Theme Park; Inc/ World etc.
    However the games that keep me captured and have me wanting to continue to play them over the years, are games that I consider to have good, non cartoony graphics. As they immerse me in the world of the game and sometimes make me look at the environment around me and think "Wow". Those kind of games would be; the Assassin's Creed series, Final Fantasy, Drakensang The Dark Eye, Red Dead Redemption, Skyrim and The Sims 3, just to name a few :wink: Thus as I'm not keen on the art style of TS4 if I were to buy it I would probably never play it. However I don't buy games that I don't like the look of even if I've enjoyed other games in the series. For example I skipped buying Prince Of Persia 2008 as I hated the cartoon art style, even though I enjoyed it's predecessors. However I did buy Prince Of Persia Forgotten Sands as that game marked the return back to the graphics and art style of previous Prince Of Persia games, I had come to know and love.
    tavoris08 wrote:
    The game has way more potential than EA let's on, it's pretty sad that they are wasting countless time and money throwing out expansion pack after expansion pack, stuff pack after stuff packed yet half of everything that should be in an expansion pack or stuff packed gets put on the online store. One reason that I believe that this is happening, is because they have no competition, no one to really challenge them. Because of this they feel they can do whatever they want with the game and everybody will still buy it, they can make pre made expansion packs and stuff packs and people would still buy it. Its the fact that there's no competition to drive them to take their time, the only thing they're focused on is milking the cash cow..

I agree 100%

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Deshong04 wrote:
    Thanks. I like Disney and Dreamworks. But I think what may be confusing to some is that I love watching cartoons but do not like playing them...in life/social simulators.
    Same. Although as I mentioned in my previous post to this one, I do enjoy playing games that may not be that realistic/ good in graphics. The games I tend to play on a more regular basis do appear to be more aesthetically appealing.
    Deshong04 wrote:
    Also to a certain extent the character(s) has to appeal to me in order for me to care about the story/what happens to them.
    Same. Take the Monkey Island series for example. Although the games may not have the best graphics I love Monkey Island as I genuinely love playing it's protagonist Guybrush Threepwood Hence why I have even bought the most recent games in that series "Tales of Monkey Island"
    Deshong04 wrote:
    For example I really want to get The Wolf Among Us and now that I know it's inspired originally from the comic book series Fables by DC Comics/Vertigo, I want that too, lol.
    Funnily enough the other day I was checking out the pics and info of that game (The Wolf Among Us) as well and as reminded me of a game I used to love playing called "Broken Sword" I was considering whether or not to buy it. I'm still not 100% sure as to whether I'll buy it yet though.