Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Anyone else having trouble with CAW?

DJQ1308DJQ1308 Posts: 39 New Member
Just got my new computer and downloaded CAW. Well apparently the current game I have installed is incompatible with CAW and I need to download a newer version of CAW (I have up to Island Paradise).

Has anyone else had this problem or know how to fix it? I would really like to start my first ever world build...it's a project I have been thinking about undertaking for ages!!

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    whitepawn23whitepawn23 Posts: 308 Member
    edited September 2013
    All I can say is make sure your CAW is new and directly off the site. I used a month old one, transferred through my external hard drive when I made a computer switch and it caused me much grief. Get a fresh download, and, to state the obvious, make sure your game is patched. Beyond that, idk.
  • Options
    tjstreaktjstreak Posts: 808 Member
    edited September 2013
    Perhaps you question would be better phrased as "Is anyone NOT having trouble with CAW?"

CAW is a thoroughly buggy program from top to bottom, which crashes unexpectedly and does not work more often than it does.

For your problem, you have to use the version of CAW which works with your installed version of the Sims 3. This probably means you need to buy the Movie Stuff SP if you want to use the current version of CAW.

There is another approach. Earlier versions of CAW are archived at CAWster. So you download the version which goes with your current installation of the Sims 3.
  • Options
    SimmitysimSimmitysim Posts: 47 New Member
    edited September 2013
    This just happened to me. I uninstalled it, as it told me to do, and when I tried to download what I assume is the new version, the download button wouldn't work. So I'm stuck, too.

My game patches/updates are up-to-date, but I don't own any packs past University. Does it depend on the patch/update level, meaning I need the newest version? or does it depend on the expansion level, meaning I need the University version?
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Thanks all for your help. I will get the Movie Time SP and redownload I guess. I did redownload yesterday but it didn't seem to help, still got the same msg. Oh well, I guess I could just start a new world in game and delete everything from it then start rebuilding haha.
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited September 2013
    Hi :D

It's not the game but the update. The game is updated to
    Game Update for 1.57....as of 09/04/13

You can find out what updated level you have by opening the launcher and hovering your mouse over the base game icon.

If your game isn't updated and the launcher doesn't say you need an update you can either update Origin or go to the Technical section and download the Cumulative update. :)
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Ok my game is currently fully updated to 1.57 but I am still having no luck :(
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited September 2013
    What's the message- Is it the same message about CAW/game needing updating?
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    "Your currently installed version of the game is not compatible with Create-A-World."

Then it goes on to say I need to reinstall etc. I have my game fully updated and have downloaded CAW from the site again. Is this because I don't have the 'Movies' SP?
  • Options
    AcebrsAcebrs Posts: 210 New Member
    edited September 2013
    I had that problem a couple weeks ago. I backed up my files and uninstalled CaW. After installation all my files were back and things were working as normal.
  • Options
    YellowJaneYellowJane Posts: 6,589 Member
    edited September 2013
    If you are having problems it may be because it is not up to date with your game. CAW needs updating seperately sometimes- I had to reinstall it for some reason o_O

Check it and see if that helps, but sorry if it doesn't :P I am no tech genius :wink:
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Well I bought the Movie Stuff SP and redownloaded it and it is working fine now :)