Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 Black screen crash windows 8 PLEASE HELP

My Sims 3 is playing up. I have only had my new laptop for a week after my other one was damaged by the sims (blue-screening) that I couldn't fix it, neither could the Toshiba factory so they gave me a store credit.

My operating system is Windows 8

I have the sims 3, pets, supernatural, generations, late night, town life stuff, world adventures and ambition. I download custom content from the sims 3 exchange.

A run through of the issue: I will click on the sims 3 supernatural desktop tile. it will take around a minute or more to load up. I click play and it goes to a black screen which in most cases would occur before the sims 3 logo does its little animation. but it stays there with the little spinning circle. I try to open task manager but it wont show up on the desktop. it completely blacks everything apart from the task bar. It's really annoying me. The only way I can recover my laptop is by restarting it.

Any tips? if you need the computer specs, I don't know how to find them.

Please help me figure out whats wrong I don't want to have to keep searching forums for solutions.

Comments

• Options
    mybradleymybradley Posts: 1
    edited September 2013
    Im having the same issue, only on a Mac!! Its super frustrating!
  • Options
    NichaedemusNichaedemus Posts: 16,905 Member
    edited September 2013
    Hi,

As a test, you can try removing your player data files temporarily before relaunching the game. To do so, navigate to the following location:

Documents/Electronic Arts

Now move (not copy) the folder named The Sims 3 to your OS desktop. Attempt to run the game.
    When you need help with The Sims 3 or The Sims 4, be sure to check out the Master Help Thread today!
  • Options
    Jaimesims2playerJaimesims2player Posts: 72
    edited September 2013
    no that doesn't do anything it just does the black screen with the loading cursor. I press the start button (which takes me to the start menu windows 8) and then press desktop. the task bar along the bottom shows, along with anything that is open. if I open task manager to try and close sims 3, the window wont show on my screen. the application itself is open but it wont show, so I cant end the application.

excuse the typing, ive broken my wrist and am typing left handed

• Options
    NichaedemusNichaedemus Posts: 16,905 Member
    edited September 2013
    If you have not done so already, you can check out the following thread for possible solutions to your issue:

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/607825.page
    When you need help with The Sims 3 or The Sims 4, be sure to check out the Master Help Thread today!
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    edited September 2013
    hi all,

if you have pulled your sims 3 doc folder and that didnt fix the problem - it is possible the problem is the patch corrupted the programing files if so reinstalling just the base game will fix the problem

see last section here for how http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/711573.page

but before doing so can you post computer specs,

to post to post hit windows key + R enter dxdiag run report hit save all info and notepad doc will open copy/paste the whole long report here, thanks!

since the system is new - is this by chance a amd processer and 6520g card model? if so then it could be the system

• Options
    edited September 2013
    I just copied the stuff that seemed important :/

Operating System: Windows 8 64-bit (6.2, Build 9200) (9200.win8_gdr.130410-1505)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
    System Model: HP ENVY 15 Notebook PC
    BIOS: F.04
    Processor: AMD A10-5750M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
    Memory: 8192MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 7384MB RAM
    Page File: 2737MB used, 9254MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.02.9200.16384 64bit Unicode
    Card name: AMD Radeon HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics
    Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
    Chip type: AMD Radeon HD 8650G (0x990B)
    DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
    Device Type: Full Device
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_990B&SUBSYS_198A103C&REV_00
    Display Memory: 6213 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 2777 MB
    Shared Memory: 3436 MB
    Current Mode: 1366 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
    Monitor Model: unknown
    Monitor Id: LGD039F
    Native Mode: 1366 x 768(p) (59.989Hz)
    Output Type: Internal
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    @ceejay
    when you say "just re-intall the base game" does that mean keeping all the expansions installed and only uninstalling the base?
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    @ceejay
    when you say "just re-intall the base game" does that mean keeping all the expansions installed and only uninstalling the base?

ya, just the base - remove ieftover files and then repatch with manual super patch the link i proivded has full details

and your system seems fine - good luck
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I've uninstalled everything and am now reinstalling and test launching every game. working so far
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    It was working but when I started putting cc on it crashed ;(
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Ok good almost there - now the patch may have broken the CC determine which is crashing and get a new file and test if this works you may need to reinstall all broken CC
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    so I have to test little chunks of cc?
    I think i'm just going to re-install again and do the patch, then just play no cc until sims 4 :D so excited!
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Yes test ....the last patch broke all of my CC I reinstalled 15 gb worth of stuff I can't live without it :)