Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

CLOSED: Themed Lot Building Contest: Choose your own Prize! Winners Announced!

Welcome to my Themed Lot Building Contest! I'm always fascinated by sets that have a theme and we've been getting more and more of those lately. I thought it would be a nice challenge to run a contest that asks Simmers to build a lot for one of the themed sets.

Sounds simple, right?

Rules and Guidelines
    Choose a set, any set that has a theme and build a lot for that set. I say lot because it could be a farm, an apartment, a beach bungalow, whatever. You just have to choose the set and build the perfect lot for it. Do you have to use the items in that set? It would be nice, but no, it wouldn't be necessary. But, if you do a farm, one would expect chickens and cows and horses... It can be residential or a community lot, it can be a boat or a large farm! Whatever the theme calls for. Must have a name and description These lots MUST be new. They MUST follow all the Rules and Requirements of the contest. You CAN use any of the Expansion Packs or Stuff Packs You CAN recolor patterns You can NOT use CAP patterns, CC, or Promotional items * Will be checked with Custard and if found to contain these items can be disqualified Fill out the entry form for your entry You must have at least 4 pictures of your finished product with no less than 1 front view, 1 back view, and 2 inside. The more pictures the better. To keep the thread from lagging, please post a link to a slideshow after your 8th picture.

Due Date:
October 15th

Prizes:
1st place winner can choose any ONE thing they want in the store. World, Venue, Compilation, whatever.
2nd place winner can choose any ONE set or venue.
3rd place winner can choose any ONE set. No Worlds, no Venues, no compilations.

You may choose to keep your prize or give it to someone else.

Judges are appreciated.

Salt will be helping me on this thread, so be on the lookout for announcements from either her or me!
14941955179_f9373f55cd_o.jpg

Comments

• Options
    BlythelyreBlythelyre Posts: 4,357 Member
    edited October 2013
    Entry Form:

Your Username:
    Download Link:
    Themed Set Chosen:
    Lot Description:
    Pictures (at least 1 front view, 1 back view, and 2 inside):

Judging Criteria
    Lots will be scanned with Custard, so please make sure all your items are clean (I suggest you run your lot through custard before submitting to be on the safe side). Lots found to have undesirable content will be automatically disqualified.

Scoring:
    1. 10pts Completed Entry Form
    a. Please fill out ALL parts of the entry form for full credit
    2. 10pts Use of space and building to lot size ratio
    a. Is it too far away from the sidewalk or too close? Is the building too big for the lot or too small? Which side of the street is it facing? Can Sims navigate the lot easily and in a timely manner?
    3. 10pts Use of Theme
    a. Is the chosen theme obvious? Is it cohesive throughout the entire lot?
    4. 10pts Wow Factor
    a. Subjective to the impression that the presentation and the lot itself makes on the judges.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Misc.

I'm going to throw out what I'm calling an Easter Egg:

I am obsessed with the Pineapple Pottery item in the store.

If you can find some way to place this on your lot in a fun and interesting way, I will give you a prize! (It's a surprise though...so don't feel obligated!)
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Winners:

1st place:
    Username: glenkatko
    Lot Name: 3-D -- Diner, Drive-in, and Dancing
    Set Name: Hogan's Deep-Fried Diner Starter Set

2nd place:
    username: Sandraelle
    Lot Name: The African Queen
    Set Name: Safari Living Set

3rd place:
    Username: leep45508
    Lot Name: Violet Springs
    Set Name: Full Storybook Set
    and
    Username: Rayshizzie
    Lot Name: Autumn Creek
    Set Name: Harvest Bounty

Judges' Prize (in no particular order):
    Username: Alitoni
    Lot Name: Cool Beans
    Set Name: Coffee Bean Hipster Loft

Username: Meg1626
    Lot Name: Asian Fusion - 3 bd, 2 ba
    Set Name: Asian Fusion

Username: ladykikyo
    Lot Name: A Morrocan Paradise
    Set Name: Morrocan Mystique

Username: walkingstick
    Lot Name: Moonrise Lighthouse
    Set Name: Nautical Living

Prizes:
    1st place winner can choose any ONE thing they want in the store. World, Venue, Compilation, whatever.
    Judges' Prize: 1000sp
    Pineapple Pottery: 500sp

You may choose to keep your prize or give it to someone else.
  • Options
    anettesbanettesb Posts: 39,168 Member
    edited September 2013
    nice

if people win can they then choose to ask you to gift one item to some one ells?
    🌺 streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/lady_anette 🌻come join the Sylvan legacy, and help control their life. 🌳
  • Options
    KatieeeeKatieeee Posts: 16,995 Member
    edited September 2013
    This sounds like a really awesome contest, if I could build, I would enter :p I'm just so bad at it though. :lol:
    Mafia stats
    Played: 255 | Won: 221 | Lost: 34
    Town: 100 | Mafia: 150 | Third: 5
    Town Win: 86| Mafia Win: 131 | Third Win: 4
    Alive: 65 | Lynched: 99 | Nk: 91 |

Come play Mafia with us: http://ultimatemafia.boards.net/
  • Options
    ChristGirl201ChristGirl201 Posts: 1,392 Member
    edited September 2013
    Hmmm, this sparks interest in me. :wink:
    I'm just curious if you would consider Mid-Century a theme?
  • Options
    trishaanne1987trishaanne1987 Posts: 834 Member
    edited September 2013
    Hmm, this looks like fun! Hoping I'll have enough time to participate, but I'll be lurking waiting for entries even if I can't :lol::mrgreen:
    Sig01_zps4e22d2d0.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    anettesb wrote:
    nice

if people win can they then choose to ask you to gift one item to some one ells?

Yes!
  • Options
    edited September 2013

I do! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Hmm, this looks like fun! Hoping I'll have enough time to participate, but I'll be lurking waiting for entries even if I can't :lol::mrgreen:

Hi! I welcome all lurkers! 8)
  • Options
    ChristGirl201ChristGirl201 Posts: 1,392 Member
    edited September 2013
    Blythelyre wrote:

I do! :mrgreen:
    Awesome! *begins to slowly formulate plan as to what type of lot to build*
  • Options
    jezebelthenunjezebelthenun Posts: 2,090 Member
    edited September 2013
    Wow, what generous prizes! You're so kind all the time.

I'll definitely be entering this!
  • Options
    AlitoniAlitoni Posts: 2,473 Member
    edited September 2013
    This does sound like fun!

Will definitely be bookmarking! :wink:

ETA: I have a question.
    Blythelyre wrote:
    Choose a set, any set that has a theme and building a lot for that set. I say lot because it could be a farm, an apartment, a beach bungalow, whatever. You just have to choose the set and build the perfect lot for it.

Do you have to use the items in that set? It would be nice, but no, it wouldn't be necessary. But, if you do a farm, one would expect chickens and cows and horses...

It can be residential or a community lot, it can be a boat or a large farm! Whatever the theme calls for.
    So does this mean the builders are limited to basing the build on just one set or can they use multiple sets as long as they fit with the "theme" chosen? For instance, there are multiple "farming" themed sets so can the build be based on all of the sets?
  • Options
    pixiegamerpixiegamer Posts: 1,729 Member
    edited September 2013

:shock:

Omigah I have to do this! But what to build, WHAT TO BUILD??! *freaking out*

Have a few questions though:
    Blythelyre wrote:
    Choose a set, any set that has a theme and building a lot for that set. I say lot because it could be a farm, an apartment, a beach bungalow, whatever. You just have to choose the set and build the perfect lot for it.

Do you have to use the items in that set? It would be nice, but no, it wouldn't be necessary. But, if you do a farm, one would expect chickens and cows and horses...

Regrettably, I don't own any full sets from the Store. I prefer to nitpick my items, so I'll try and find a set I can closely match/hopefully have quite a few items from. Would points be taken off if we didn't use certain set items?
    Blythelyre wrote:

Prizes:

Does that include Gold Worlds?

Also, does the size of the lot matter? Would you prefer big or small lots? And how many builds can we submit?
    Getting back into TS3! :smile:
  • Options
    Meg1626Meg1626 Posts: 3,351 Member
    edited September 2013
    What an awesome idea for a contest! I think I will definitely be doing an entry for this one!

Curious as well about using other sets in addition to the one chosen? Like if I chose Hollywood Regency, would Glitter and Glam also be acceptable in the build? :D
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Alitoni wrote:
    This does sound like fun!

Will definitely be bookmarking! :wink:

ETA: I have a question.
    Blythelyre wrote:

It can be residential or a community lot, it can be a boat or a large farm! Whatever the theme calls for.
    So does this mean the builders are limited to basing the build on just one set or can they use multiple sets as long as they fit with the "theme" chosen? For instance, there are multiple "farming" themed sets so can the build be based on all of the sets?

Good question! You have to choose your "primary" set, but you can use any item from the store in your build. As long as the theme is consistent, let's say, farming - then you can use whatever you want in it (as long as it follows the guidelines, or course).
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    pixiegamer wrote:
    :shock:

Omigah I have to do this! But what to build, WHAT TO BUILD??! *freaking out*

Have a few questions though:
    Blythelyre wrote:

Regrettably, I don't own any full sets from the Store. I prefer to nitpick my items, so I'll try and find a set I can closely match/hopefully have quite a few items from. Would points be taken off if we didn't use certain set items?
    Blythelyre wrote:

Prizes:

Does that include Gold Worlds?

Also, does the size of the lot matter? Would you prefer big or small lots? And how many builds can we submit?

1. I'm not looking for items in a set, more of the theme of the set. If you decide to go with Surf's Up Sun and Fun Collection, and you build a beach lot...you don't have to have the wave machine for it to be a beach.

Points will not be taken off, I won't be counting items.

2. That does include Gold Worlds. Size does not matter, you can build a 10x10 shack or a resort. I have no preference, since it all depends on what you choose. One build per person, please!
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Meg1626 wrote:
    What an awesome idea for a contest! I think I will definitely be doing an entry for this one!

Curious as well about using other sets in addition to the one chosen? Like if I chose Hollywood Regency, would Glitter and Glam also be acceptable in the build? :D

Yes. If three or four sets have the same overall theme, I say go for it!
  • Options
    YellowJaneYellowJane Posts: 6,589 Member
    edited September 2013
    Recently thanks so many generous people here, I was able to afford the Cirque Celebration Set!! It's one of four sets I own all of and I was really excited so I think I shall build a Cirque House, if that's okay :lol:
  • Options
    samanthajane26samanthajane26 Posts: 3,183 Member
    edited September 2013
    I was just wondering if this was the sort of thing you were looking for:

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/705548.page#11205880

All 4 of my most recent builds are based around re-theming venues, sets, or EP specific lots so that they fit in Monte Vista. Is this the idea you have in mind? I just wonder because although they're based around using a theme (like the Fowl & Feathers set) they are also highly MV tailored.

I don't wish to use any of those as a contest entry, 1 has already been a contest entry, one was built for a gift, one is a remodel and the other a thank you, so it wouldn't be appropriate to make them a contest entry, but this contest seems to be exactly what I'm doing with my building right now and it would be a pleasure to take part.
  • Options
    VamPandaVamPanda Posts: 6,226 New Member
    edited September 2013
    This is a really cool contest! I love when we can let our creativity shine in any way we choose :D I will probably be entering this :D
  • Options
    IdontrcallIdontrcall Posts: 19,349 Member
    edited September 2013
    YellowJane wrote:
    Recently thanks so many generous people here, I was able to afford the Cirque Celebration Set!! It's one of four sets I own all of and I was really excited so I think I shall build a Cirque House, if that's okay :lol:

Ooh! Please build it. That's one of my favorite sets!! I'd love to see it :)
    Check out my cooking Youtube channel: Living with Leigh
  • Options
    suepeasuepea Posts: 1,832 Member
    edited September 2013
    Idontrcall wrote:
    YellowJane wrote:

Ooh! Please build it. That's one of my favorite sets!! I'd love to see it :)

Yes, YJ -- I'll be lurking and looking forward to seeing what you come up with :-)
    h2xmsbl]
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    YellowJane wrote:

That would be lovely! Can't wait to see it.