Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Possible Solution to the whole Create a Style controversy?

I have an idea I would like to suggest to EA regarding the Create a Style issue.

http://getsimplyruthless.blogspot.com/2013/08/create-style-compromise.html

Comments

• Options
    3fansforever3fansforever Posts: 1,421 Member
    edited August 2013
    This is a good compromise. That being said, many of us use patterns such as animal prints, floral and others. I absolutely love zebra print personally. How am i supposed to do that now? couldn't they just ditch the saving your own pattern feature but still allow you to download some off the exchange.
  • Options
    emiie10emiie10 Posts: 1,871 Member
    edited August 2013
    Did you do this?

If so, I love you! Legit.

If EA do decide to cut CASt, they NEED to do this!! :)
  • Options
    PenelopePenelope Posts: 3,298 Member
    edited August 2013
    I think that's very smart and nicely written, however, I really, really, really want patterns in the game as well. To me, patterns are vital. This is not something I'm willing to compromise on and still buy the game.

Without patterns, we'll have a whole town of people whose clothing all pretty much look alike because of the limited choices. It would take so much fun out of designing clothing for your Sims! People like me love the whole "paper doll" factor in Sims 3 where we get to essentially design our own clothing. I even used to make my own custom patterns to import into my game.
  • Options
    ruthless_kkruthless_kk Posts: 3,987 Member
    edited August 2013
    emiie10 wrote:
    Did you do this?

If so, I love you! Legit.

If EA do decide to cut CASt, they NEED to do this!! :)

I did....glad you like it. I have been trying to think of a way that we might be able to have some kind of CASt. DOnt know if its even possible at all but it seems like it cant hurt to suggest....
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    This is a good compromise. That being said, many of us use patterns such as animal prints, floral and others. I absolutely love zebra print personally. How am i supposed to do that now? couldn't they just ditch the saving your own pattern feature but still allow you to download some off the exchange.

I get where you are coming from....I love the patterns too. But if the choice is nothing at all or this....I would rather have something that allows some semblance of customization.
  • Options
    KtoJ0KtoJ0 Posts: 27
    edited August 2013
    To be perfectly honest, the ability to create and edit custom patterns for stuff is one of my favorite things about TS3. Couldn't they just include it and then give people with slower computers the option to nerf or disable it at their own discretion? :(
  • Options
    joexandersonjoexanderson Posts: 22 New Member
    edited August 2013
    Great idea, and I would still be annoyed, but this is the least they could do.

However, as I mentioned here (http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/710103.page), most likely The Sims 4 is feature complete, which means at this point they'll no longer add or remove features, only fix current ones.
  • Options
    DarleymikeyDarleymikey Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited August 2013
    jothousand wrote:

However, as I mentioned here (http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/710103.page), most likely The Sims 4 is feature complete, which means at this point they'll no longer add or remove features, only fix current ones.

Meh. Guess 'pre alpha' is more locked down than most want to admit.
    wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg
  • Options
    Rawr2019Rawr2019 Posts: 14,407 Member
    edited August 2013
    I hope they consider this. When my friend told me they were leaving CAS out I seriously stopped wanting the game. I didn't want to hear anymore about it because the best feature was being left out. CAS is the one feature that really makes TS3 so much more fun than other video games. Other games are limited and only give you so much room but TS3 is limitless. I feel like taking it out would be contradictory to the whole point of the game which is being able to do WHATEVER we want.

Good idea Ruth :] you smart cookie you :mrgreen:
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    jothousand wrote:

Meh. Guess 'pre alpha' is more locked down than most want to admit.

Very possible, but I figure it is worth a shot. They did say at the Simscamp event thatthey were aware of the unhappiness in the community and that the issue was being discussed....so I take that to mean it is not a done deal...yet.
  • Options
    loosmaloosma Posts: 372 Member
    edited August 2013
    Ehhhhh lol Nah I want it all or nothing lol. Feel like meeting me halfway when I was given the full deal on an older game seems lame xD Yeah yeah I know I'm a 🐸🐸🐸🐸 but w/e I can't let it go lol.
  • Options
    loosmaloosma Posts: 372 Member
    edited August 2013
    I'm pretty sure they'll probably implement a colour wheel to meet middle ground but I don't see the patterns or the surface finishes returning. Ahhh, gonna go ...build something in the sims 3 now xD
  • Options
    3fansforever3fansforever Posts: 1,421 Member
    edited August 2013

I get where you are coming from....I love the patterns too. But if the choice is nothing at all or this....I would rather have something that allows some semblance of customization.

I agree. Thank you for the write up.
  • Options
    Tiki5872Tiki5872 Posts: 3,115 Member
    edited August 2013
    I guess I am going to be a spoiled little child on this issue :lol:, I want the basics of what we have now. I need patterns.... everything would be so boring without patterns and textures.
    NewBanner.jpg
    Origin ID: Tiki5872
  • Options
    sydsyrioussydsyrious Posts: 63 Member
    edited August 2013
    Tiki5872 wrote:
    I guess I am going to be a spoiled little child on this issue :lol:, I want the basics of what we have now. I need patterns.... everything would be so boring without patterns and textures.

Agree....the pattern variety is what makes everything so unique.
  • Options
    JustLiz87JustLiz87 Posts: 1,074 Member
    edited August 2013
    Ruthless - This is a great compromise. If we can't have CASt, then it would be great to have some sort of customization, even if it is just a palette. As long as we are not limited to predetermined color swatches.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited August 2013
    I really like the way you approach this problem in such a positive and understanding way towards the developers. But to be honest I would miss the textures as much as the variety of colours too.
    What I don't get...
    If you have spent any time creating within The Sims 3, then you know that the more "styles" you save, the more custom colors and texture combinations, the longer Create-a-Style takes to load and function
    It's not necessary to save the styles, is it? I admit my CAS is much slower then it was in the beginning, but I hardly save the styles I create. I use them and next time I make something else. So wouldn't that be a solution: leave out the option to save colours and textures?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    TheGreenLionTheGreenLion Posts: 1,635 Member
    edited August 2013
    It's a good step towards compromise, although I think the swatches could all be that way so the player can decide their top favorite colors to replace those with. If it's a choice between that or nothing I'd rather have that.

A lot of people like myself really love the patterns too, and I guess really that's half of the CASt functionality. Now I notice that most of the time what bogs it down is the amount of patterns stuffed in one category. Perhaps it would be possible to optimize these categories in a better way. Say for the Geometric category (worst offender for me) all of the striped patterns might have their own sub-menu.

That would cut the main Geometric's in half and when the player makes a custom pattern it would place it in a Custom Geometric's sub-menu with another sub-menu created to house Custom Stripes if the player makes any of those. The idea I would be after is to reduce the load coming from each pattern type by further managing them into specific categories. Perhaps there could be a limit of say 20 per category so that no more than that would be rendered at any given time.

• Options
    calmorezoocalmorezoo Posts: 8,105 Member
    edited August 2013
    I agree that would be the middle ground idea
    We only have to wait and see if EA wishe to compromise with us.
    h2xmsbl]

• Options
    orkhid22orkhid22 Posts: 2,226 Member
    edited August 2013
    Great job ruthless_kk. I found your solution to be quite diplomatic. I hardly ever utilize the patterns; although I do use the colors frequently. I see a lot of people still wanting patterns in addition to the ability to re-color. A further compromise would be to only offer maximum 5 options for each pattern category; then with the ability to re-color the player gets more options.

• Options
    DataHeadDataHead Posts: 1,098 Member
    edited August 2013
    I think it's a great idea. I don't see why this isn't possible to include in the base game at all. I hope if they don't (which it looks like they won't) include CASt in the base game, they'll include it in a later expansion.
  • Options
    anettesbanettesb Posts: 39,168 Member
    edited August 2013
    I like the compromise idea...

don't like the thought of over writing colors... :? I simply use to many difrent shades and wants them all because I move from difrent house ,,, or just rooms..

but if we could just change the color......

still I would feel very limited... but better than trying to paint a painting with stickers.... :lol: I want my crayons...
    🌺 streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/lady_anette 🌻come join the Sylvan legacy, and help control their life. 🌳
  • Options
    AndViceVersaAndViceVersa Posts: 3
    edited August 2013
    Tiki5872 wrote:

You said that quite well, Tiki. I agree wholeheartedly. I had wanted the sims 4 considering the emotions, and the new CAS, but taking away CASt, well, they've lost my money. I think I'm going to stick to the Sims 3 unless they make CASt just as customizable, or even more so. And besides, I haven't got the money for a whole new series. Sorry, EA, but your going to have to do better than that if you want even us younger players to stay.
  • Options
    KaztompKaztomp Posts: 519 Member
    edited August 2013
    Firstly, I love your compromise idea Ruth.. if this was the only "do-able" option available I would grab it with both hands!!

Secondly, and this is where I may end up looking foolish, but would it be possible for CASt to be a separate entity, similar to CAS? I am not a computer savvy techy.. but aren't these two functions similar in what they do? One can modify a sim, the other can do a similar thing with an object?

Like I said, I have no idea how these features work within a computer, I just wonder if it can be offered as a separate entity? Preferably not something that needs to be bought but instead offered as a separate "module"?? Thereby making it a choice for those that may not have a computer able to handle the specs..
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    OolonglongOolonglong Posts: 562 Member
    edited August 2013
    I'm not sure if this would work for me. You are one of the builders that amaze and delight me. Sadly I'm not as talented as you are. I still do find I use different palettes when I create my different builds.