Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I hate Mermaids

I was so excited for this EP, due to the fact that EA FINALLY added Mermaids to the game. I was excited about what type of powers they'd get, and what cool things they could do. And let me just say WOW! What a complete disappointment.

Of all of the cool things they could have done with Mermaids, they added nothing. What can they even do? Swim? Breathe underwater? THAT'S IT!? I was expecting them to add things like 'Calling the Kraken', or 'Sing the Mermaid's Tale'...I don't know SOMETHING!!

They literally can't do anything but swim, and that just infuriates me. Speaking of swimming, that's all they do. They don't use boats, instead they swim. When you're all the way on the other side of Isla Paradiso, and you have to go to work, they swim ALL the way to the other side. Why? It's such a pain to have to go to map view zoom in on the location and say boat here. And of course we'll have to wait another 4 years to get that bug fixed. :roll:

My point is, EA makes an occult. I get excited. And then they completely dumb it down, to the point where there is no fun with them. Vampires are a perfect example. They're cool at first, but you can't do a thing with them. They're just "Vampires". Or Werewolves. They turn to wolves. Cool. Can we expand on this? No? Great.

Why can't EA treat every occult, the way they treated Witches. I mean Witches get SO much to do, yet the rest are just hanging in the dust.

Anyway back to Mermaids. My point is they suck. They don't have powers. They have no special anything. They bring nothing to the game except maxed out diving skill, which serves absolutely ZERO purpose when you live in any other world besides Isla Paradiso, since they aren't any other dive spots, unless you have to manually make one yourself. :roll:

Plus, the Mermaid children are just there. They don't even have tails for crying out loud. Talk about useless.

Rant over.

Comments

• Options
    zorba2357zorba2357 Posts: 6,103 Member
    edited August 2013
    WOW! I'll admit they could improve on mermaids. I haven't played witches enough to know all about them. But since mermaids are the occult I want to play, not witches, Yes it would have been nice if mermaids were more in depth.

But , they come when called with a shell, or horn, or whatever that thing is that magically appears when your sim "summons a mermaid". And you can change their tail colors in CAS. I found it a challenge to even FIND a mermaid at first, it took me days.

Would be nice if EA binned some dive spots to place in other worlds.
  • Options
    kirby356kirby356 Posts: 4,607 Member
    edited August 2013
    zorba2357 wrote:
    WOW! I'll admit they could improve on mermaids. I haven't played witches enough to know all about them. But since mermaids are the occult I want to play, not witches, Yes it would have been nice if mermaids were more in depth.

But , they come when called with a shell, or horn, or whatever that thing is that magically appears when your sim "summons a mermaid". And you can change their tail colors in CAS. I found it a challenge to even FIND a mermaid at first, it took me days.

Would be nice if EA binned some dive spots to place in other worlds.

Well at first I couldn't find them either. And when I did I got so excited. But I was sad at how underwhelming they were. :cry:
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    edited August 2013
    Got to admit my favorite occults now are the genies and aliens. Since we can create genies in CAS, I've got one married to a witch in Sunset Valley (Second Edition), and they're going to go for the 15 kids/30 grandkids achievements (I'll move the kids out as soon as they turn into young adults, so they can get started on the next batch). And aliens are really cool -- I moved my human and alien half brothers to Isla Paradiso but quickly got bored with the human, so I moved the human brother into his own place and let the alien brother keep the houseboat. Since they don't have to sleep, just sit and restore brain power, they can spend all day and night with their activities.

I've only met one mermaid, and it was a male one -- Salty something or other (hangs out in Davy Jones' Locker). Trying to get up enough skill for the next dive spot. So I'll wait and see what my experience is; I wouldn't mind having my alien marry a mermaid just to see how the children turn out (how many will be merSims, how many aliens).
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Got to admit my favorite occults now are the genies and aliens. Since we can create genies in CAS, I've got one married to a witch in Sunset Valley (Second Edition), and they're going to go for the 15 kids/30 grandkids achievements (I'll move the kids out as soon as they turn into young adults, so they can get started on the next batch). And aliens are really cool -- I moved my human and alien half brothers to Isla Paradiso but quickly got bored with the human, so I moved the human brother into his own place and let the alien brother keep the houseboat. Since they don't have to sleep, just sit and restore brain power, they can spend all day and night with their activities.

I've only met one mermaid, and it was a male one -- Salty something or other (hangs out in Davy Jones' Locker). Trying to get up enough skill for the next dive spot. So I'll wait and see what my experience is; I wouldn't mind having my alien marry a mermaid just to see how the children turn out (how many will be merSims, how many aliens).

Yeah I like Aliens. Even though we can't make them in CAS, you can do a lot with them. I guess I was hoping for that type of thing with mermaids.
  • Options
    JaiSeaJaiSea Posts: 910 Member
    edited August 2013
    I can't stand them either. I wasn't excited about them but I thought it would be nice to have one. I married one, not knowing he was a mermaid at the time. He got on my nerves so bad, I broke up with him after two kids. And I normally don't split up families but he was very needy. Not only did the swimming everywhere bother me but no matter what I fed him, even the mermaid preferred food he was still always hungry and was constantly dehydrating. I just didn't have time for that with two kids to take care of too.
    Check out my latest Multiplayer Let's Play! The Off the Grid challenge - single family addition.
    MPOTGthumbnail.jpg
  • Options
    Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    edited August 2013
    Check the game rating and look who designed them.In order to sell more games it has to stay Disney style.So things like a Mermaid has to stay cute and fuzzy.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I can't stand them either. I wasn't excited about them but I thought it would be nice to have one. I married one, not knowing he was a mermaid at the time. He got on my nerves so bad, I broke up with him after two kids. And I normally don't split up families but he was very needy. Not only did the swimming everywhere bother me but no matter what I fed him, even the mermaid preferred food he was still always hungry and was constantly dehydrating. I just didn't have time for that with two kids to take care of too.

THIS! They are constantly hungry,even though I feed them every single second! Plus, with Seasons, they're always "chapped", even though I put them in a pool.

Just a hassle.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Check the game rating and look who designed them.In order to sell more games it has to stay Disney style.So things like a Mermaid has to stay cute and fuzzy.

The game rating is rated T for Teens, meaning it SHOULDN'T be cute and fuzzy. If EA wants to make the game cute and fuzzy, then they might as well change the game's rating to E.
  • Options
    MartuniMartuni Posts: 702 Member
    edited August 2013
    Add me to the "I hate mermaids" group. My biggest disappointment was that you can't have a fireplace in their home! ALL my houses have at least two, burning all the time. Mr. Merman can't be in the house or he dries out.

And yeah, the constant swimming. It's almost comical...like, eight hours to get to the grocery store.

I'm with stilljustme2 - LOVE genies and aliens. EA did a good job giving us so many choices.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Martuni wrote:
    Add me to the "I hate mermaids" group. My biggest disappointment was that you can't have a fireplace in their home! ALL my houses have at least two, burning all the time. Mr. Merman can't be in the house or he dries out.

And yeah, the constant swimming. It's almost comical...like, eight hours to get to the grocery store.

I'm with stilljustme2 - LOVE genies and aliens. EA did a good job giving us so many choices.

LOL yes!! I was so frustrated with the fireplace thing that I just let my Mermaids burn, I was just didn't care at that point. Sad but true :lol::lol:
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    edited August 2013
    The only problem I have with merms is they want to swim everywhere they go. They need to fix that.
  • Options
    bklienhartbklienhart Posts: 2,975 Member
    edited August 2013
    That Hunger thing is really annoying. OK, so they like to eat Kelp or Fish. But they still have to 2 or 3 of their preferred food to fill up their hunger bar. And the dehydrating is way too fast. I just let my mermaid turn back to a normal sim, it was so annoying. At least she kept her level 10 diving skill.

And there's no Population Control for Mermaids, so there are dozens of them running around town.

They also need to fix it so Mersims can use the new Wave Machine from the store.
  • Options
    amjoieamjoie Posts: 3,516 Member
    edited August 2013
    I gave up even trying to play a mersim normally. I use testingcheatsenabled true to keep motives up and to delete negative moodlets. I also teleport to locations to avoid the swimming interval. That is the only way I found to play a mersim.

Mersims definitely need to be tweaked/patched. They aren't very enjoyable to play, the way they are now, if you don't use cheats.

But they are so lovely under water ....
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    edited August 2013
    I like mine, but it's probably due to the scenario I am playing her in.
    She is an assistant to my sim who is sort of a private aquatic scientist with a scuba diving career.

She keeps plenty of kelp on hand, so I don't see feeding her as a problem. Currently they are living close to the water, so dehydration isn't a big issue, either go out for a dip, or take a shower. This game is so easy, I actually don't mind a character that needs tender loving care.

They could have fleshed them out with more abilities, and they should have went the extra mile to give children mer-tails. I will probably just play them when I have a sim that does a lot of diving and underwater collecting. That is where their strengths are.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    HaphronHaphron Posts: 252 Member
    edited August 2013
    I like my Mersim but I agree they have several glitches & bugs.

*tails not holding

*After entering change/edit appearance (not scales) my characters favorite food changes randomly and I loose favorite food Kelp.

*Lifetime perk: Hardly Hungry doesn't seem to work on my Mersim

*Lifetime perk: Steel Bladder doesn't work either.

Overheating? yeah I get that but I fixed my character by not buying the Lifetime bonus: immune to cold, immune to heat, (clean)DirtDefiant

After NOT selecting those perks my sim is able to jump into any body of water and instantly cool off. All negative overheating moodlets gone.

I also quest at night and have him sleep/hide during the day. That is more realistic imo. Sharks and other creatures of the ocean are active at night - during the daylight? not so much.

In game notice the sharks are more active at night? Its pretty awesome too because all the other night creatures come out to play after dark as well LOL. Even the aliens its cool stuff Im glad to be playing this game again having fun (cept for the stop & lag with my character)

Swim everywhere? eh it doesn't really bother me that much he is a fish after all. If I want to use the boat I just click --->Boat here. Easy

Always hungry? well I think its probably written/designed like that because after swimming IRL in the ocean donno about other folks but I get hungry too. Burn a lot of calories & energy swimming. So yeah the Mersim would be naturally hungry.

Prob with this is the Lifetime perk "Hardly Hungry" doesn't seem to work on my Mersim. This is another perk I didn't buy, that and the bladder.

Favorite food Kelp? randomly changes after I clicked mirror for Edit sim appearance. Not the tail - the appearance. I experimented and had him go to salon/tattoo parlor for appearance change and same issue happened. Favorite food changed from Kelp to (random food)

The random food chosen by the game stays perma, unless using "testingcheatsenabledtrue" to edit. But after doing this my Lifetime perks previously purchased are either wiped/gone or randomly selected by the game. Most of the time ive noticed its wiped clean/gone. So I don't go that route and just leave it as is - Kelp just isn't what the game wants his favorite food to be I guess.

Currently? the game set my Mersims favorite food to Hotdogs.

Now Im not against Hotdogs, Im just not a Hotdog kinda guy and neither is my Mersim LOL. Sims who love & are into Hotdogs? all the power to them!

but Id rather have Kelp or lobster thermidor (by Default) -thx.

I like the Mersims & wish they had more content for them like the other occult races. what I mean is... store content.

Underwater Mersim kingdom or at least some stuff to create a house underwater.

Mersim shouldn't have to sleep on a bed - let us rest/sleep in the ocean where we really belong.

if possible EAstore team? A cool magic trident please for Mersims only thx in advance if that is already possibly created but not in sims3 game yet.

some ppl don't like the Mersims but for me I really like them. I honestly don't see my sim as anything else now. They just need some content specifically designed for them.
  • Options
    AngelinArosebedAngelinArosebed Posts: 117
    edited August 2013
    I'm starting to think I'm the only person who doesn't have the 'swim everywhere' issue. ._. Both my mermaid and my human, when living on a houseboat, would just teleport to their carpool, then take the carpool to work/school. I've never had my mermaid just swim to school or the schoolbus.

I do like the mermaids, there are some things however that do irk me about them. Like their constant hunger and constant need for hydration. That's not enough to make me hate them, though. Mermaids are something I have been waiting forever for to have in a Sims game and now that I have them I plan to use them despite the annoyances.

As for powers...eh, I probably wouldn't use any powers even if they had them to be honest. I just wanted a mermaid that...well, looked like a mermaid. I can see how other people would want more than that however.