Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why do you play Sims?

Comments

• Options
    BoredinTXBoredinTX Posts: 350 Member
    edited August 2018
    NotSoLucky wrote: »
    Everyone has a reason for playing sims. Personally, for me its just because I find it to be fun. Some people play for control, some people play to get away from real life, some for designing. Why do you play?

I have a lot of health issues and Sims is an escape from it all. It is easier to deal with things when you're distracted.
    Especially depression. But I would even play it from the hospital. It was the only way to leave when in reality I couldn't. It is kind of like a friend in a way...
  • Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    I loved dolls as a child. This is a bigger dollhouse.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    Also, it's the only game where you can be...

-An architect
    -An interior Designer
    -A makeup artist
    -A fashion coordinator
    -A writer
    -A photographer
    -A filmmaker
    -A psychologist
    -A sociologist
    -A god (benevolent or evil)
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    The opportunities for creative expression are vast.

Within the game, I love playing challenges, legacies, playing with genetics, building, and designing.

And there are so many ways to be creative with the Sims even outside the game itself. For example, when I played Sims 2 about a decade ago, I got involved in making Sims machinima, which was a hugely creative and time-intensive hobby.

I have also totally geeked out in creating databases, spreadsheets and/or family trees on my Sims at times. I have even played around with creating CC and modding. Recently I started learning more about Tumblr as well, something I would never have done without my Sims involvement.

And, I really enjoy participating in the community.

So, there's a lot. It's a great hobby, really.
  • Options
    auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    edited August 2018
    I started playing at the age of twelve and I think I started playing because it was fun to control little people. I started with the Sims 1 and a lot of my sims died. It was fun trying to keep them alive and to achieve a nice house. I remember wanting to own a mansion in that game. I was a little older when the sims 2 came out and I loved playing families and started building my own homes. I played the sim during this time to escape my own life. I was bullied in school and had home life issues so this really helped to get away. I play now for fun and because I love telling stories through my sims. It's also a great escape from reality at times.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • Options
    x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    edited August 2018
    I started playing this game since TS1. For me during that time (I was a teen), it was a very unique and interesting game where you can control a pixel made creature and it can even have families, die, etc. It is a different kind of genre (during that time) because I do play lots of other games as well, like Harvest Moon, Theme Hospital, but mainly PS games.

So, TS2, TS3, and now TS4. I play it out of my love for this franchise as I grew up playing the game (like how we love other games/franchise when they launched different version or upgraded version of the original game. Because I was too immersed in the game (especially TS2 at that time - I can play it for more than 24 hours per day or even before the exams), my brothers once told me that I like to play it because I want to escape the reality..but that is how most games are.. worse, they (my brothers) populated my neighbourhoods with their weird creatures :s (for TS2, we have a family shared PC) It's true sometimes, but now, as I am older, I like it because of my memories, and the creative part of it..

p/s : If you asked around, you will always find someone who played it once during their childhood..at least those that I met
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • Options
    GBlucherGBlucher Posts: 157 Member
    I still fire a sims game and play every once in a while, even after all this time.

What I find fun about it? I like subtly guiding my sims and seeing what they get up to, without being too heavy handed. Like a kindly deity wanting to see his sims live a good and happy life of their own choosing. It adds some challenge to the game, while still being relaxing. Some sims are remarkably stubborn (usually because they often don't seem to want anything in particular), so even getting a sim married off and having a child can be very satisfying and feel like a major achievement.

Actually, I kind of wish sim autonomy and/or whim system was a little more robust, but it mostly works.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    There are so many reasons the Sims is like no other "game". I use it to tell stories create (or borrow) characters and live out their lives, to channel creativity and that's when I enjoy it most and where I need control to achieve it. I use it to just kill time or relax and destress sometimes .. that's where collecting and doing tasks or trying to do aspirations come in, I probably do this the most. I use to just play a game and that's when I enjoy the surprises, wackiness and some amount of chaos... just watching and playing and seeing where it takes me... I do this more when there is a new pack to explore or I do something different. Sometimes all of these ways overlap of course.. I'm just glad to have a game that offers so many avenues of entertainment.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    jonilla1jonilla1 Posts: 1,120 Member
    I play The Sims to escape reality and in a some way to relax after a long day. I play many other games too, but The Sims is the only game franchise that I will never ever stop playing. It's like a family member.
    The Sims helped me get over my depression by distracting me from thinking about bad and dark things, it even helped me get a boyfriend, and the best thing is that I didn't have to create a sim to achieve all of this:lol:
    Origin EA ID: Xaldin257 Friend requests are welcome.

Some of my creations in the gallery use CC so remember to enable them in the gallery's options to see them all.
  • Options
    SimsayCDSimsayCD Posts: 95 Member
    I've been a simmer since TS1. I continue to play The Sims because of my love for the franchise in general. But I think what I like most about the games is how I can just escape the harsh real world and play in a more idyllic world. I also get to live out fantasies and experience life in different ways that I would never be able to do in real life.
  • Options
    valexxtinavalexxtina Posts: 66 Member
    For me playing the Sims is a way to chill and relax. I can be whoever I want and do whatever I want.
  • Options
    verlainemverlainem Posts: 837 Member
    This is an old thread - however from seeing people posting - a new thread should have been started.
    I play for stress relief - I can make my sims to things and control them in ways I can't control in RL. and since I use MCCC I sometimes can't control what the non-played sims do and I can let go and just say What???? are you doing lol
    EA ID burnished_dragon
  • Options
    SailorCetiSailorCeti Posts: 807 Member
    Escapism, living out personal fanfics. Stuff like that.
    This game needs more Sailor Moon!

Hold SHIFT while using the FRIEZE tool to apply it to a single wall, and not an entire room!

** SailorCeti's Builds **

If you download one of my builds, by all means, leave me a message and tell me what you did and did not like about it.
  • Options
    Scorpina2009Scorpina2009 Posts: 1,547 Member
    I first started playing due to curiosity. I quickly became addicted. I play for several reasons: pure entertainment, designing houses, its fun to observe them too. I feel like a mother taking care of her kids. I make sure they do the right thing and have everything they need. I even spoil them. I never had kids so I guess that is why. A friend of mine has a God complex. He likes have power and control over them. I prefer to allow them to do as they please, but if they are kids, they must do their homework and help with chores.

It is kind of like being able to manipulate characters in a movie. well, manipulate is too strong a word. I mean more like contributing to a movie.

Plus, they are just so plumming cute ! :) It all boils down to fun.
  • Options
    MezinkaMezinka Posts: 111 Member
    To reduce my anxiety and it also helps my mental health.

I recently learned how to enjoy the game and try different features that I've never used or ignored.
    double_facepalm.jpg
    Some mornings it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
  • Options
    jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    I play to escape from life
    Too many things have been happening in my life. I have had cancer 3 times we had a house fire that took my top floor and my husband has terminal brain cancer and I am his care giver. He is passing before my eyes and I cannot control that. However in the Sims I can control their lives and their deaths. It is pretty easy to forget your troubles,while you play.
  • Options
    ThePinkBookGirlThePinkBookGirl Posts: 437 Member
    Because I love designing homes and Sims, like I did with dolls as a child. This is the computer version of dolls and Iblove it just as much.
  • Options
    MMXMMX Posts: 4,428 Member
    Sometimes it's better to be somebody else.
  • Options
    ladysweettartladysweettart Posts: 239 Member
    Honestly, it's because with the Sims you can do things you wouldn't, couldn't, or shouldn't do in real life, but you can in the game because it's just a game. Also because I have a vivid imagination so for me it becomes a story playing out (several stories really). And of course there's the creative aspect involved in making over sims, designing and decorating houses, so, yeah.....lots of entertainment!

Oh, and I love the genetics feature....so much fun seeing how different (or similar) each offspring looks!
    I have a YouTube Channel dedicated to Sims 4! You can find it here if you are so inclined!

www.youtube.com/c/LadySweettart
  • Options
    thesimsserbiathesimsserbia Posts: 510 Member
    https://youtu.be/SBUXw5EunLA
    Hoping some day i get idea for Sims Series-Movie to make
  • Options
    KateEmeraldKateEmerald Posts: 240 Member
    I love to be creative and decide where the storyline of a game is heading while I play it. I can made up my own stories and play the game in a thousand different ways. It does not have a predetermined story line but give you endless possibilities. I love that.
  • Options
    CagierSaturnCagierSaturn Posts: 24 Member
    I play it because it seems unlikely that I will ever experience many of the awesome life events that sims have in real life. I will probably never get married, have kids, raise a family, be close with my siblings, own a store, fulfill my life ambitions etc. in my real life. This game allows me to experience the things that I am missing and have missed in my life. It might sound dark, but its true. B)

• Options
    Catfriend150Catfriend150 Posts: 3 New Member
    If I were a member of The Sims team reading this I would be feeling quite humbled to see the way the game has affected so many people's lives for the better. In my case, I have always been fascinated by dolls' houses and miniature things, so I love that aspect of it. Mainly, though, I play to escape real life for a while and try to forget all my anxieties and problems while my Sims do all the stuff I would love to have had the chance to do but never achieved much of. I used to love RPG's (and still do dip into Skyrim occasionally), but I get sick of all the killing. My Sims are almost family to me and watching their antics makes me smile. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.