Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How will subhoods work in TS4?

I really, really hope EA revert back to the subhood system in TS4 like they had for The Sims & The Sims 2. While it was nice in TS3 to have lots of cool worlds, it would be really nice to be able to send sims to Bridgeport or visa versa or whatever. I know there's a mod for it, but still it's not the same.

So if they do implement subhoods, how will it work? With The Sims & TS2, there was loading screens in between, and I think having them in TS4 would be a step back. Or is it the only way we can get subhoods back?

I personally would like a region system like in SimCity. Your sim lives in one region and can live visit other places in the region. One town in the region is a small fisherman village with no shops, so your sim has to travel to another town in the region for groceries. But if loading screens had to be introduced, it would become a big problem.

So is there anyway for subhoods to be introduced into Ts4 without monotonous loading screens? Or will subhoods never return?

Comments

• Options
    ChainChain Posts: 126 Member
    edited July 2013
    I don't understand what you mean when you talk about subhoods without loading screens.

I thought the primary difference between the "mainhood" and the "subhood" so to speak was that the subhood wasn't necessarily accessible without travel. Isn't a subhood without some sort of transition just a part of the mainhood? :?:
  • Options
    TheMomminatorTheMomminator Posts: 4,215 Member
    edited July 2013
    Any time there is travel, a loading screen will be needed.

We don't know how "hoods" will work yet. It's far too soon to speculate on "subhoods".
  • Options
    SeanieRockz44SeanieRockz44 Posts: 852 New Member
    edited July 2013
    I know there's gonna be loading screens, but I'm just wondering how they could be implemented better than just looking at a loading bar.
  • Options
    IfreshyehIfreshyeh Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited July 2013
    I really, really hate loading screens. So, I wouldn't like the TS2 style back. But I believe we can have an open world with other subhoods like it worked with a loading screen, as long as the current world is open. Like traveling in WA. The world is open, but you have to get through a loading screen to get to other parts of the world. I mean, I could deal with that loading screen, as long as it isn't too... Annoying.

Of course, if the game engine is strong enough to support it with enough programming, I don't see why we can't have it all open with regions, but it would be rather difficult.
  • Options
    IfreshyehIfreshyeh Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited July 2013
    I know there's gonna be loading screens, but I'm just wondering how they could be implemented better than just looking at a loading bar.

Well, there's not something we can actually do about that. A loading screen is there just to do that: load.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I know that, but could the game load in the background while you still play? That's what I'm (trying) to say. There are so many breakthroughs in gameplay technology these days that surely the subhood loading system could be developed a different way.

The SimCity loading screens when going to different regions are fine but after 5 or 6 expansions they will become sluggish and slow.

Also, I'd like sims relatives to live in different regions and can come visit sims. Or my young adult sims decide to move to the big city, they can do that while Story Progression takes care of my family in the other town.
  • Options
    TRachetTRachet Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited July 2013
    I know that, but could the game load in the background while you still play? That's what I'm (trying) to say. There are so many breakthroughs in gameplay technology these days that surely the subhood loading system could be developed a different way.

The SimCity loading screens when going to different regions are fine but after 5 or 6 expansions they will become sluggish and slow.

Also, I'd like sims relatives to live in different regions and can come visit sims. Or my young adult sims decide to move to the big city, they can do that while Story Progression takes care of my family in the other town.

I'm not sure about that. We would definitely have to wait to see some more details on that. I would imagine it would require quite some power, but who knows. They may have designed the game engine a bit more uniformed this go around. :wink:

That would be cool! I always wanted my sims to be able to have relatives in France or such. :-)
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I think it is probably possible in TS3 you know :wink: Well I've never tried it, but I'm sure with Master Controller you could add a French sim as your brother, or sister or whatever when you are in France and invite them over for visits like you usually would. And I'm sure you could probably visit them as well...

Well, I have a good computer so I hope they push the game as far as they can go. I don't want a basic game because of people with integrated chips. Let's hope the engine is much better than TS3...
  • Options
    ShinobuTypeErrorShinobuTypeError Posts: 2,838 Member
    edited July 2013

Well, I have a good computer so I hope they push the game as far as they can go. I don't want a basic game because of people with integrated chips. Let's hope the engine is much better than TS3...

I am very much in agreement with this. One thing that I definitely want to see in TS4 is much higher minimum requirements. This game is never going to improve if EA keeps catering to those who still play on Windows XP computers from 2002. I get annoyed when I see threads where people say things like "I hope the graphics aren't too intense because I won't be able to play the game on my computer" .... :roll:

Computers are meant to be upgraded. Yes, it's expensive, but if you do a little at a time it's not so bad.

Personally, I don't really care if they go back to the semi-cartoony graphics of the earlier Sims games, but no more of this "only 2 GB of RAM required" BS. I would like Sims 4 to be fully optimized for 64-bit systems and able to utilize a ton more RAM than Sims 3 currently does.

As for the issue of subhoods, I suppose I am in the boat with those who would like the world to remain open, but hope they give us the option of loadable subhoods and vacation worlds. I don't mind a loading screen between subhoods, I just take that time to get a snack or look at something on my other computer. I don't, however, want to have to load every single lot...ever again.
    "It's like there's a pink elephant in the room and no one's allowed to talk about it."
  • Options
    SimsTiasSimsTias Posts: 1,622 Member
    edited July 2013
    GTA V has a huge world that you play in. And switching characters in that game is a loading screen but it's a cool loading screen. You select a character, then the game zoom out sort of like Google Maps and then zoom in on another playable character. I would love to have that loading time system for subhoods in The Sims 4. Just copy GTA's character switching and make it switch hoods instead of characters EA! xD (Okey, they will never do that... But i still think it would be cool because it looks cool in GTA 8) )
    Save the Sims Franchise!
    Owner of Simstias.blogspot.se
  • Options
    dmel25dmel25 Posts: 1,514 Member
    edited July 2013
    I just posted this in another thread, and will post it here as well.

I have noticed that people seem to either hate open neighborhoods and want Sims 2 back or hate Sims 2 style and want open neighborhoods. I would like it if they made it so that you had the "neighborhood" areas for a town and that is where all the sims live and it is open like how we have. Then there could be a downtown like area that has all the cool lots to do stuff, and that could be open, but to get between the two areas you have to go through ONE loading screen.

And they should make it so that towns like Sunset Valley and stuff have a downtown similar to how they were in Sims 2, but I would like to have cities we can live in. So for that we could have the neighborhood be like apartments and penthouses and stuff, and then the downtown area would be like the buildings and stuff in Bridgeport.
  • Options
    bethyGracebethyGrace Posts: 709 Member
    edited July 2013
    ^^ This :)

I'm all for subhoods if necessary. As long as they are open subhoods - i.e you have to load the hood, but then you are free to move around as with TS3 and don't have to load every single lot. Cos that made TS2 a bit of a drag, in my opinion ;)

Of course, there's no knowing what this game is going to be like, or if there will be anything like subhoods. But I know the Gurus do try to listen to us here on the forums, and I have read SO many simmers wanting a way to (at least) travel between worlds so we can have family living in other little towns and (as you guys described) perhaps a brother living in France or something.

So here's hoping ^_^
  • Options
    PhantomflexPhantomflex Posts: 3,607 Member
    edited July 2013

I am very much in agreement with this. One thing that I definitely want to see in TS4 is much higher minimum requirements. This game is never going to improve if EA keeps catering to those who still play on Windows XP computers from 2002. I get annoyed when I see threads where people say things like "I hope the graphics aren't too intense because I won't be able to play the game on my computer" .... :roll:

Computers are meant to be upgraded. Yes, it's expensive, but if you do a little at a time it's not so bad.

Personally, I don't really care if they go back to the semi-cartoony graphics of the earlier Sims games, but no more of this "only 2 GB of RAM required" BS. I would like Sims 4 to be fully optimized for 64-bit systems and able to utilize a ton more RAM than Sims 3 currently does.

This completely. My computer is far from being a complete gaming machine, but I feel like making TS3 a 32-bit game is the biggest design mistake EA made with TS3. It's possibly the reason why community lots are always empty, saving errors are frequent, among others. The game simply cannot process everything it has to using only 4GBs.

I remember when TS3 was announced, Rod Humble or someone said that TS3 would "run on your grandma's computer". Let's hope they don't shoot for that goal this time around. Windows 7 and OS X Mountain Lion 64-bit should be the bare minimum as far as operating systems go.
  • Options
    ArkansasWoman777ArkansasWoman777 Posts: 601 Member
    edited July 2013
    SimsTias wrote:
    GTA V has a huge world that you play in. And switching characters in that game is a loading screen but it's a cool loading screen. You select a character, then the game zoom out sort of like Google Maps and then zoom in on another playable character. I would love to have that loading time system for subhoods in The Sims 4. Just copy GTA's character switching and make it switch hoods instead of characters EA! xD (Okey, they will never do that... But i still think it would be cool because it looks cool in GTA 8) )

I actually am looking forward to playing GTA V due to the fact its an open world.
    i7 6700k, 1tb ssd, Rx MSI 480 8gb, Evga 750G2, Corsair H100i V2, 16gb of ram
  • Options
    SimsTiasSimsTias Posts: 1,622 Member
    edited July 2013
    SimsTias wrote:

I actually am looking forward to playing GTA V due to the fact its an open world.
    It's going to be so freaking awesome! :mrgreen:
    Freeroaming in a huge world, scuba dive under the water to find stuff, customize vehicles like in racing games, buy properties, rob banks and stores, hunt animals, play tennis, golf and do Yoga and so much more! Cannot wait! Im literally dying inside everyday, because i want to play it right now! :mrgreen::lol:
    Save the Sims Franchise!
    Owner of Simstias.blogspot.se
  • Options
    ArkansasWoman777ArkansasWoman777 Posts: 601 Member
    edited July 2013
    SimsTias wrote:
    SimsTias wrote:

It's going to be so freaking awesome! :mrgreen:
    Freeroaming in a huge world, scuba dive under the water to find stuff, customize vehicles like in racing games, buy properties, rob banks and stores, hunt animals, play tennis, golf and do Yoga and so much more! Cannot wait! Im literally dying inside everyday, because i want to play it right now! :mrgreen::lol:

Its a huge step up from the other GTA series. Since every time you try to go to a different area the cops are on your butt and of course to get to the other areas you have to complete certain missions which sucked. I'm glad Rockstar did what they did for GTA V. Can't wait to buy the PS3 so i can play this game and other ones as well.
    i7 6700k, 1tb ssd, Rx MSI 480 8gb, Evga 750G2, Corsair H100i V2, 16gb of ram
  • Options
    windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,375 Member
    edited July 2013
    I would rather have loading screens and a fun interesting game that I can go WITH my sims into stores and clubs etc., then have another big open world with no place to go, nothing to see and be bored out of my skull again.

So I see loading screens as a good thing.
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • Options
    pr0x1mapr0x1ma Posts: 5,898 Member
    edited July 2013
    I'd love to see subhoods again. The loading screens don't bother me at all, and never understood why it drove people crazy. I always felt like it was worth it in the end.
    tumblr_mr2v3r8OEc1rsik0po1_400.gif