Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Which of these do you prefer and why?

Hello fellow simmers! :)

I have been trying to decide which premium content item I should get...I know I'm going to be getting the auto noms feeding station and the cow plant - but they will be back on the DD in a few if we stay on this rotation, so I'm waiting for that to try and snag those. But in the mean time, I have my eye on the aims co chocolate fountain, the basketball hoop, and possibly the spell book or voodoo doll (unless maybe the cauldron or crystal ball are better?) Which of these do you have and love? :)

I would use the choco fountain for parties and weddings, the basketball hoop I would place at the lots that already have the court outlines, and I have just started getting into playing supernatural sims, so that's why I've been considering the magic items. I would get use out of all of these objects but I can't get all of them, as I'm on a little bit of a budget (for DV and IP, of course!)

Just wondering the pros and cons for each of these! Your feedback is greatly appreciated! :)

Comments

• Options
    cherid87120cherid87120 Posts: 2,823 Member
    edited May 2013
    I recommend the multi-tab as my number one favorite premium content item. I prefer the basketball hoop and basketball machine over the magic items. If you are going to pick up a magic item, the spellbook and cauldron are much better than the voodoo doll and soothsayer ball. I don't get a lot of use out of the choco fountain but it is nice to have around.
  • Options
    wrecktangularwrecktangular Posts: 185 New Member
    edited May 2013
    i have the chocolate fountain (i got it as the bonus item from the goodie box i bought)
    i have only used it in one house, but they get a cool moodlet being in the same room as it (kinda like the one from the fridge from cookery career) and everyone seems to enjoy eating loads of chocolate stuff (it does get dirty quite fast if left unfinished - it has a number of uses each time you fill it)

the autofeeder is pretty handy, especially if you have a few pets and your sims work/are busy. i got this thing quite a while ago, probably havent used it as much as i could, but its pretty handy if you regulary play with pets in your households. (we actually have a real-life thingy like this for our 5 cats, i mean you just load it with food (biscuits) and they fall down to keep the food at a certain level in the bowl - we have one for water too)

i also have the spell book thing (just got it the other day from the DD) i have had one go with it, and it doesnt have as many spells as i hoped but it looks pretty cool.
    its pretty expensive ingame ($72k or something) i didnt get the library, just the book, so its quite a pricetag if you dont money cheat (ofc you can rake it in with witches/aliens using the transfigurations)

i cant help much with the other choices, as i myself am savng to get the crystal ball, cauldron and the hoop
  • Options
    AimForTheHeadAimForTheHead Posts: 805 Member
    edited May 2013
    I do have the multitab and I love it! It comes very much in handy :) thanks for the tips on the magic items, I do think I prefer the spell book out of all of them. I'll keep this in mind ^_^
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Thank you for your input, wrecktangular! The crystal ball is also coming up on DD for 200 sim points in case you wanted to try and pick it up! I had an auto feeder for my Pomeranian but he just made a mess with it haha ^_^ but I do regularly play with dogs in-game since I train them to hunt and pick up gems for alchemy!
  • Options
    SiricitSiricit Posts: 190 New Member
    edited May 2013
    Just like previous poster, I also recommend the multi-tab, if you have simpoints available now i would really suggest you buy it on sale.

I like the voodoo doll just because it's cute, I don't use it very often, but then again, the spell book is too expensive in-game (easier to put in a library) and last time i used it, it backfired a bit on me (pro tip: read about the stuff before you try it ;P) :D
    The crystal ball is pretty but same there, doesn't use very often, but then again, neither the cauldron either.. Not sure which one i would suggest there, sorry, I do like them all though :)

The basketball hoop is actually great though, nice to have a new way to get some work out in the game.
    About the choco fountain.. I can't answer since i don't own it. I was thinking of buying it recently on a dd-sale, but decided it's more pretty than useful (my sims gain weight from frying stuff instead :P)
  • Options
    wrecktangularwrecktangular Posts: 185 New Member
    edited May 2013
    ah, so it is! thanks for that, i somehow missed seeing that on the list (its a pretty overwhelming list.. thats my excuse d: heh) i'll almost certainly forget by then as it seems quite far down the list d: (or they'll finally change the items just before it come up!)
  • Options
    lizbethbearlizbethbear Posts: 3,201 Member
    edited May 2013
    The crystal ball is also in this current DD rotation, later down the list but before the baketball hoop.
    WznfzGr.gif
  • Options
    lizbethbearlizbethbear Posts: 3,201 Member
    edited May 2013
    isn't there a pet lifetime reward food dish that essentially makes the auto-noms....well obsolete?
    WznfzGr.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Thank you everyone for your replies! I think I'm leaning more towards the basketball hoop at this point. There is a reward object that is a bottomless pet bowl, but it took a long time to get due to it costing 15,000 lifetime happiness reward points and it emits these sparkly things which drive me bonkers! :/ thanks for the suggestion though lizbethbear! :) siricit, my sims gain weight by frying things too, haha! I got the deep fryer and ice cream maker a while back when the set was on sale :) I love food objects (the main reason I bought Monte Vista was for that darn oven!)
  • Options
    SiricitSiricit Posts: 190 New Member
    edited May 2013
    The crystal ball is also in this current DD rotation, later down the list but before the baketball hoop.
    All of the magic items is in the never-ending rotation, I accidentally bought them all because it never seems to end ;):D
  • Options
    Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    edited May 2013

I would recommend the cauldron, especially if any of your sims is a witch or an alchemist, but it's broken again...or so it is in my game where every time your sim uses it the energy keeps draining to the point they pass out from sleep deprivation. Only way to combat this is to cheat by keeping their needs static. If you use cheats and that is not a problem, then go for it if you want. Or the cauldron could be used just once/twice a day but your sim would definitely need at least a nap or just go to sleep. Or just use an elixir to replenish their energy.

The spellbook is great for mood spells and cannot remember what else, if there even is a what else, lol. To be honest I have the voodoo doll but have never used it so I know nothing from my own experiences. The crystal ball I've used in a carnival type lot, sims love to use it and talk to the magic mirror and use that hypnotizer. Unless you have an use for the crystal ball such as telling a story about a fortune teller or something, I really see no point in it. It doesn't really do much but tell fortunes, of course.

If you love athletic sims or just like your sims to play basketball, I think the basketball hoop is really fun to have. I especially enjoy the dunking contests/animations. And best of all, kids can play too. :mrgreen:
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Deshong04, kids can play too? Yay! :) that pretty much sells it for me! I think I was mainly interested in the voodoo doll for its cuteness factor heh ^_^ for me, the crystal ball seems like the least favorable of the magic items. I seen the gothique library on the DD last night and thought about getting it, but I'd really only get it for the spell book - and probably never use the venue. I'm trying to hold onto as many sim points as I can for hopefully a new DD rotation when this one ends again. But it's hard when there's so many neat items I feel like I can't live without! Haha :)
  • Options
    edited May 2013

Here's a few pics of the basketball hoop/sims playing.

9ia6j6.jpg
    2yo5zir.jpg
    fdtt9e.jpg
    Stand a little taller
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Thank you for the photos! Looks awesome ^_^ you've been very helpful!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    No problem. :P
    Stand a little taller
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    Whiteraven40Whiteraven40 Posts: 129 Member
    edited May 2013
    I have all of the items but I must say the basket ball hoop is the one I use mostly on my sims lots, the sims seem to love playing with it and so do those pesky zombies :)
  • Options
    neon_wildneon_wild Posts: 1,220 Member
    edited May 2013
    Out of what you're thinking of getting I have the basketball hoop and the voodoo doll. I absolutely love the basketball hoop - I like watching sims playing, there are some nice animations, and I have a court set up in my world and sims visiting the lot actually use the item which is always good! Also you can have two sims use it together and I always like items that allow for a group activity. Plus it's nice to have something new for the gym or even to make an entire lot based on (you could make your own court as a community lot or something). It's definitely one of my top purchases from the store, I'm very happy to have it.

The voodoo doll is something I just recently got and I love the look of it but I haven't gotten much use out of it yet and I'm not sure that I ever will. I wish there were more nice interactions for it as all bar one (if I remember correctly) are mean interactions, and my sims tend to be nice so I don't particularly like having them torturing other sims :lol: But then I guess voodoo dolls aren't really meant for nice interactions. It's fun and as I said aesthetically it looks cool but if I were going for one or the other I'd definitely get the basketball hoop, the voodoo doll is more of a gimmick for me with limited use. The other items you're thinking about don't really appeal to me at least not at the moment.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Thank you neon_wild and whiteraven40 for your replies :) it seems the general consensus is still the basketball hoop ^_^ when I get a chance to download it onto my computer that's what I'll be getting! :)
  • Options
    SimbolicSimbolic Posts: 925 Member
    edited May 2013
    I'd definitely get the basketball hoop if I were you.
    I've got all of them.

The chocolate fountain is okay, but once the novelty wore off (about 5 minutes for me) I never pulled it out of inventory to use.
    I tend to forget I even have it now.
    It takes up tabletop space which is often limited in my sims houses.

The more magic items are fun, but only of use if you are playing those kinds of families who would be using magic.
    For me that is not often enough to put them top of the list, although I do put them on lots with the fortune tellers caravan but they get little use in my worlds.

The basketball hoop I get the most use of by a mile.
    I have them on some beaches, in childrens playgrounds & parks, outside schools, near some gyms, even one outside a sports bar I have built behind my stadium. They are in back yards or against the sides of the garage for my poorer sims - the kind who can't afford swimming pools or gym equipment, or on the grounds of the high rise buildings they might live in.

My richer sims have them too, just with nicer surroundings.

You can recolour the court lines to blend in on an old concrete surface & make it look a bit run down, or place it on a proper court with nice crisp white lines.

Families can play together, or werewolves against vampires, or friends together.
    Sims can even practice alone.

It just fits better into everyday play for me than the other items which are more special circumstances sort of things.