Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Issue trying to install Sims

I'm getting the following error:

Installation failed: Please make sure your game has the latest Software Updates and try again.

I've been having a script error code on the launcher. As it could be related, I tried to fix it. No luck.

I googled the script error and found this thread with an answer from crinrict.

I tried updating everything listed. Except Windows. But there were no important Windows updates as I get them installed automatically. I can get more details of the optional updates if you think it might be helpful to figure out if one of them is the culprit. Error code is still popping up, though it did go away once after I restarted my computer.

I'm still having the Sims install issue. And it's not every Sim I download. I don't download many Sims and out of the 7 I've tried, 5 have failed. One of the two that succeeded was from TSR and another was from the Exchange. I tried different computers, since I had the base game installed on another computer.

Are there any tricks that I've missed or am I just out of luck?

Comments

• Options
    DarkAmaranth1966DarkAmaranth1966 Posts: 13,416 Member
    edited May 2013
    Run Windows updates again, look for important and optional for an update for Internet Explorer, that is the source of the script error.

For the install needing an update, use the Cumulative manual patch located here:

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/175477.page
    Life is what you make it so, make it good.
  • Options
    Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    edited May 2013
    Internet Explorer has been updated. I went directly to the download site for IE and downloaded it. I had IE 9 fully upgraded, now I have IE 10, fully upgraded.

And none of my windows updates were for IE.

All of my patch levels are the appropriate levels. I even checked again even though I know I had them current since I had had some crashing issues due to my pre-Generations ones not being patched properly several months back.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Then, I'd say those sims have CC that is not included and, that you don't have so, the game is seeing it as you needing an update since it thinks things go with the sim that are missing from your game.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Well, I downloaded all the CC the creator referenced. There was one piece that the creator got off of a Sim and couldn't find the original file for.

I'll go see if I can't get that Sim and see if it will behave itself then.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    CC item was found and installed.

Still having issues.

The creator was willing to upload a CC free version just in case some piece of CC had been forgotten in the credits. CC free version is also failing.

Someone else is also have the same problem that I'm having.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    The it is probably that sim. Could you give me a link to the problem sim and I can see if I can find the issue with it?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    CC version: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=7331795

Page with the CC he should have: http://zenteri.blogspot.com/2013/05/maximus-zenteri-hunt-is-young-adult.html

CC free version: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=7337730

Oh, I should add that the Add to Game will say it's successful but he won't actually show up in game. The file sizes there are wildly different with Add to Game being a lot smaller.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Found the problem, nothing is corrupt but, there is CC called Arezzo Bathroom Counter Left attached as well as the earring, makeup and clothes that should be there.

The bathroom counter should not be included with the sim, and it isn't a CAS item so, that's what is messing it up.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    How would I go about getting that removed so that I can install it?

Is that something that I can do on my end or would that need to be dealt with on the creator's side?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    The creator would have to remove the file for that object from his DCCbackup folder, then re upload the sim.

I'd suggest he check the export with Custard before uploading it again.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Here's the new version: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=7338502

This one says it installs properly but when I go in game the Sim is not there.
  • Options
    AXYY-CMG4-JL99-GAXYY-CMG4-JL99-G Posts: 119 New Member
    edited May 2013
    My Sims3 game was installed on my desktop along time ago..Now for some strange reason..The launcher will not appear on the computer..I'm very computer literate..Sooooo what can I co..I'm now playing on my laptop..becuase I can't get the launcher to appear on my desktop ..ANYBODY ELSE HAVING THIS PROBLEM..It's like the game is not on the computer at all
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Your best bet is to post this in your own topic. No one is really going to be able to see this.

As to my issue, the creator uploaded a .sim file for me to use so I've got the Sim installed.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I'm glad you got the sim you wanted and, were able to let the creator know about the problem with the one on the exchange. :)
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    edited May 2013
    hey Seera1024

so are you able to launch the game even though u have script errors?

if so see this link for possible other tricks
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/121716.page

and i just always want to confirm u have rebooted the system since updating and cleaning out IE cookies

CC even corrupt ones shouldn't as i understand it prompt the error, also sometimes running a ccleaner if all is updated can help.

now if u r not able to launch the game, just pull the sims 3 doc folder to the desktop run a test save and exit if this works move save items to new files.

HTH
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    ceejay402 wrote:
    hey Seera1024

so are you able to launch the game even though u have script errors?

if so see this link for possible other tricks
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/121716.page

and i just always want to confirm u have rebooted the system since updating and cleaning out IE cookies

CC even corrupt ones shouldn't as i understand it prompt the error, also sometimes running a ccleaner if all is updated can help.

now if u r not able to launch the game, just pull the sims 3 doc folder to the desktop run a test save and exit if this works move save items to new files.

HTH

I am able to run the game. Or my main concern would be the script error over the Sim.

Based on what one person said, I've got a feeling I know exactly what it is. My antivirus's banner blocker which does actually seem to work. So since I don't use IE for general web browsing, I'll probably disable the banner blocking in IE. And that should probably fix it. The timing does seem about right for when I got off my butt and upgraded my antivirus software.

ETA: I had completely shut down and then turned on the computer once since I installed IE 10. It cleared up for one run through of trying to get the Sim installed but it has popped up again.

Edit 2: It wasn't the banner blocker.

The specific script error is:

Line: 1
    Char: 7
    Error: Invalid character
    Code: 0
    URL: http://segment-pixel.invitemedia.com/pixel?pixelID=75969&partnerID=200&clientID=5507&key=segment&returnType=js