Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Saved .sims3 and .sims3.backup are same date and time despite lots of saving

I save my games regularly. Whenever I play the Sims 3, I save generally every ten minutes or more. Occasionally I might get carried away playing and forget to save for awhile, but I am generally always saving.
I took a premade world (Hidden Springs, specifically) and edited it. I spent a very long time on it. Several hours were dedicated to it alone. I saved like crazy, as always. I would quit the game and load it another day to actually play (rather than edit the town).
I later loaded it and started playing the game. Saving like crazy, as always.
I began editing outfits and saving after I changed every outfit. That is, I would plan a new outfit, change the hair for the outfit, then save, then plan another outfit, then change the hair, then save. Lots of saving.
Finally I was done with everything and decided I needed to quit the game and would play another time. I had just saved only a few minutes before, plus many, many saves going back several hours. I saved and quit the game.
Later I loaded the game. The game crashed while loading. I tried again. The game crashed while loading. I copied the town (figuring this would not work), and the game crashed while loading.
Obviously, it somehow saved corrupted. So, I began searching online for any possible way to go to an earlier save, since I had been saving so much and had just saved earlier before saving and quitting.
I found lots talking about the .sims3 and .sims3.backup files in the Saves in Sims 3 Electronic Arts folders. I found that (actually I was already looking at that before I searched online, but hadn't changed anything).
However, I noticed something strange. The .sims3.backup and .sims3 saves of the same game are the same date and time. The backup is the same as the last, corrupted save.
I fail to understand how this could be considering there were, I would not doubt, over a hundred other possible backup save points for that backup file to have. However, for some reason it decided to not actually be a backup file.

I would like to know if there is any way I can access any of those earlier saves. If this is not possible, is there any way I can at least copy the town (not necessarily the saved sims, though of course that would be nice) so that I can redo what I lost? What I mean is I may not like to but I could redo what I had done with the sims themselves, however it was very painstaking for me to edit that world. I desperately would like to know of some way I could access that, if I can't get to an earlier save.

And if all is truly lost, could someone please at least explain to me how the backup file wound up not being a backup at all?

Thank you so much for any help. If I sound blunt at all in this posting it is just because I am, I suppose, dumbstruck by, with all of my saving, it happening to have saved corrupted and then apparently not had a proper backup save.

Thanks again for any help or suggestions offered.

Comments

• Options
    ewilson1114ewilson1114 Posts: 2,513 Member
    edited May 2013
    When you look at just the folder for a .sims3 and its backup they do appear to be saved at the same time. However, if you open the folder and look at the .nhd file you'll see the timestamps should be different.
    For example, my save game Appaloosa Plains Farm: The .sim3 folder and .sims3.backup folder both say they were modified at 5:32 PM on 5/23/13. However, when I open the .sims3 .backup folder and look at the .nhd file I see that it was last modified 5/23/13 at 12:09 PM.
  • Options
    AFeazyAFeazy Posts: 91 Member
    edited May 2013
    When you look at just the folder for a .sims3 and its backup they do appear to be saved at the same time. However, if you open the folder and look at the .nhd file you'll see the timestamps should be different.
    For example, my save game Appaloosa Plains Farm: The .sim3 folder and .sims3.backup folder both say they were modified at 5:32 PM on 5/23/13. However, when I open the .sims3 .backup folder and look at the .nhd file I see that it was last modified 5/23/13 at 12:09 PM.

Thank you very much, I hadn't realized that. I had opened up the folders but I guess I didn't notice the difference. Anyway, despite them having appeared to me to have been from the same save, I had tried the trick of moving one and renaming the other anyway to see if it would work and it did not. I just tried again to see if my computer needed to be restarted before it would work (I had read that someplace), but it still is doing the same thing. It begins loading fine but part way through crashes (always at the same spot). I thought it was a corrupted save, since I thought both the .sims3 and .sims3.backup were the same save, but since it appears they are not I am not sure what is going on. I am just more confused now. I will try other games to make sure it is not a problem with the entire game (and not a single saved world). If I find that none of the worlds will load then I will edit this post with that information, otherwise they are working.
    I really appreciate your help as that information made me at least feel less frustrated and also allows me to see something else must be going wrong and that it was not a corrupted save (or at least not just that).