Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is it me, or are sims getting uglier by the base game?

Seriously. TS1, couldn't help it, but at least they tried. TS2, pretty awesome graphics. TS3, smoothed graphics created an uglier appearance than TS2 (especially TS2 with CC) and now TS4 Sims look like Pixar characters. Not looking forward to the graphics on this game.

Comments

• Options
    orrasfairyorrasfairy Posts: 224 Member
    edited May 2013
    -she said without having any idea how the sims 4 sims looked in game.
  • Options
    acidsugar112acidsugar112 Posts: 733 Member
    edited May 2013
    ...we haven't seen the graphics yet...or the full sims...so no one can really say if they are uglier...plus...beauty is in the eye of the beholder and whatnot..

I personally think TS3 sims look better than TS2...and definitely better than TS1...so let's see what the new sims really look like before we jump on the "I hate this new thing...the old thing was way better" bandwagon...lol
    the_joker_illustration-t2.jpg
  • Options
    Fullmetal1890PFullmetal1890P Posts: 708 Member
    edited May 2013
    orrasfairy wrote:

All I'm saying is, from the one picture they gave us, they look like Pixar versions of TS3 Sims. If that's what they're using to advertise and promote this, they're doing a pretty crappy job. Why are they going for such overdramatized cartoony looks?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Gahh, way too many double posts. I think the site can't handle this much going on at once. :lol:
  • Options
    Melbana9Melbana9 Posts: 262 Member
    edited May 2013
    just wait and see i think :mrgreen:
  • Options
    ClaudiaElzoClaudiaElzo Posts: 1,120 New Member
    edited May 2013
    I think they get ugglier too, my sims 2 were way prettier I actually had pictures of how they looked like in some stories i wrote years ago which of course got deleted when the site was shut down
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,757 Member
    edited May 2013
    well considering Pixar oringal (aka Toy Story) look, compared to the newer ones (Toy Story 3 for instance)?

boy Andy (oringal movie)
    Andy_Snapshot_1.png

toy story 3 Grown-up Andy
    andy_medium.png

Pixar's animation has improved

6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    Allspice1232Allspice1232 Posts: 3,234 Member
    edited May 2013
    Different strokes for different folks. I don't like TS2 graphics, I didn't find them appealing at all. I like TS3's smoother, more cartoonish look and I like the teaser picture they showed for TS4.
    34336_s.gif
  • Options
    AthenaOnyxAthenaOnyx Posts: 3,921 Member
    edited May 2013
    I have a hunch that the sims this time around will look pretty darn good. Because so many people complained about the sims in 3, and because EA is going to do everything in their power to get people to buy. Because, how many new features can they really add? Sometimes I wonder if they purposefully made the sims look bad in 3 just so they could give people a reason to buy 4. Because, the open neighborhood and trait system ascept was the major selling point for 3, so they really did not have to go all out in the sims appearance. They just had to make a good looking environment.

One of the biggest drawbacks to s3, was that they put most of their effort into the environment and not enough into the actual sims. I think they're going to reverse that this time.
  • Options
    Urosh1994Urosh1994 Posts: 2,425 Member
    edited May 2013
    Sims are not real people. They are Sims. They shouldn't be like us. It's their world.

I'm happy they took a turn for more cartoonish style. Even if it's not, I see no reason to complain. As long as gameplay is good :D
  • Options
    kiwi84kiwi84 Posts: 1,087 Member
    edited May 2013
    I am not that worried, i still haven`t seen a full Picture or how it will be in game. I think the grafics will be better than now
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    MadameLee wrote:
    well considering Pixar oringal (aka Toy Story) look, compared to the newer ones (Toy Story 3 for instance)?

boy Andy (oringal movie)
    Andy_Snapshot_1.png

toy story 3 Grown-up Andy
    andy_medium.png

Pixar's animation has improved

Well, that's creepy. I just wish EA went in a different direction with this. Rather than becoming even more cartoony, I'd have much preferred realistic Sims.
  • Options
    DracathioDracathio Posts: 81
    edited May 2013
    orrasfairy wrote:

All I'm saying is, from the one picture they gave us, they look like Pixar versions of TS3 Sims. If that's what they're using to advertise and promote this, they're doing a pretty crappy job. Why are they going for such overdramatized cartoony looks?

They seam to have always done that, but in all honesty they did say within the post that they are going for more of a real style of sorts. So sims4 is hoping to be more like real thing like the new SimCity. but at least they won't make the failure move they did with SimCity xD

They aren't forcing it to be totally online.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Dracathio wrote:
    orrasfairy wrote:

They seam to have always done that, but in all honesty they did say within the post that they are going for more of a real style of sorts. So sims4 is hoping to be more like real thing like the new SimCity. but at least they won't make the failure move they did with SimCity xD

They aren't forcing it to be totally online.

My post isn't even about the actual game, I'm skeptical about the game itself but moreover I'm just surprised the Sims look so ugly. You can count the pixels and the square edges in their faces alone. Look at the guy (or girl, I can't tell) with the red hair and you try to tell me that that's a step up from TS2 and TS3. It's horrid.
  • Options
    windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,375 Member
    edited May 2013
    Seriously. TS1, couldn't help it, but at least they tried. TS2, pretty awesome graphics. TS3, smoothed graphics created an uglier appearance than TS2 (especially TS2 with CC) and now TS4 Sims look like Pixar characters. Not looking forward to the graphics on this game.

Fullmetal, I completely understand, I even started a thread about it too, lol. But everyone on my thread, as well as many others are saying that these first glimpses are merely renderings and not indicative of what our Sims will look like in the game.

Plus, I'm sure the community creators will come up with some wonderful skins and eyes to give us the look we are wanting. Don't panic yet, like I did :oops:

You know the biggest problem in ts3, as far as the Sims themselves are concerned, wasn't what they looked like, once we got the custom skins and eyes, their biggest problem was the way they acted and moved. They were like robots rather than "life like" little people.

From everything they said this morning, it sounds like they were addressing those issues and I for one, am looking forward to learning more about it. I'm keeping an open mind now, after this morning when it slammed shut before I got a grip on it, lol!
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • Options
    IfreshyehIfreshyeh Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited May 2013
    Not everyone likes "realistic"
    They creep me out beyond words (Mass Effect 3? No thanks, I'll just sleep in a fetal position)
    I've always liked cartoony, funny types sims, and love ts3 sims. Also, from the shot that they gave us( which is literally just half of their faces, come one, how are you really going to judge that? And it's nowhere near done! I just don't get the pessimism) I can barely judge it, but if I truly wanted to, I say the eyes are amazing and I like the direction they're going in. But again, it's almost nothing so take my judgement with a grain of salt, which a lot of people should be doing anyways.
  • Options
    IfreshyehIfreshyeh Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited May 2013
    Look at the guy (or girl, I can't tell) with the red hair and you try to tell me that that's a step up from TS2 and TS3. It's horrid.

Well for one, what you think is horrid is someone else's beautiful. This is something everyone should consider, even you.
  • Options
    Rhett9Rhett9 Posts: 9,870 Member
    edited May 2013
    Ifreshyeh wrote:
    Not everyone likes "realistic"
    They creep me out beyond words (Mass Effect 3? No thanks, I'll just sleep in a fetal position)
    I've always liked cartoony, funny types sims, and love ts3 sims. Also, from the shot that they gave us( which is literally just half of their faces, come one, how are you really going to judge that? And it's nowhere near done! I just don't get the pessimism) I can barely judge it, but if I truly wanted to, I say the eyes are amazing and I like the direction they're going in. But again, it's almost nothing so take my judgement with a grain of salt, which a lot of people should be doing anyways.

Not everyone likes cartoony joke looking sims either.
  • Options
    Sc3niXSc3niX Posts: 2,468 Member
    edited May 2013
    you do realize that the picture they did give us is missing tons of textures? You can clearly see that they not even close to finishing with the textures. The face textures are barely there, and there isnt individual strands of hairs. Theres no eyelashes even. So seriously learn about textures before you say it looks crap. Of course it looks crap, cause the textures arent finished yet.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Sc3niX wrote:
    you do realize that the picture they did give us is missing tons of textures? You can clearly see that they not even close to finishing with the textures. The face textures are barely there, and there isnt individual strands of hairs. Theres no eyelashes even. So seriously learn about textures before you say it looks crap. Of course it looks crap, cause the textures arent finished yet.

My point being, if this is what they're using to advertise TS4 for their announcement, it isn't doing it for me. No, if this is their example of TS4 Sims, no thank you, and a lot of people agree with me. You clearly don't, so you'd probably appreciate another thread that enthuse excitement for TS4.
  • Options
    BariSaxyBariSaxy Posts: 4,699 Member
    edited May 2013
    I don't know, I haven't seen enough of them yet. We only really can see the area around their eyes, not even their complete faces.

My problem with The Sims 3's Sims in the beginning was that their faces were too wide. Eventually I came across the skills and mods to make my Sims look more realistic. Now I actually think The Sims 2 Sims look weird, and I consider my avatar on here to look more like me than any of the Sims I made in The Sims 2.
    OO2UdmJ.png
  • Options
    ClaudiaElzoClaudiaElzo Posts: 1,120 New Member
    edited May 2013
    I think they are horrid too :) I agree with you!!!
  • Options
    lilyboblilybob Posts: 940 Member
    edited May 2013
    As Sc3niX pointed out, these could just be the working appearances of sims. Remember in pre-release shots of The Sims 3 how awful they looked? They had no bone structure in their faces! But by the time TS3 actually came out, they looked a lot better. Bear in mind that there's a long time until TS4 actually comes out.
  • Options
    Sc3niXSc3niX Posts: 2,468 Member
    edited May 2013
    they havent started advertising it. They just announced it and gave a picture. Thats not advertising. Theres still 1 year to go, which means they probably still working on the gameplay and adding all the textures later. So again i stand by what i say. And when sims 3 was announced, we also got a crap picture, and everyone thought it looked like crap. Turns out that picture didnt even have half the textures that sims 3 had. So you overthinking it.
  • Options
    kateoverendkateoverend Posts: 7,985 Member
    edited May 2013
    I am a wee bit sad, I do not wish Sims 3 to come to an end just yet :(
    Having said this, I have no doubt, that since my Son and I are such huge Sim fans, we will surely play TS4 :)

I was hoping the TS4 graphics would be far more life-like and advanced than TS3, but they appear to be more like TS2...??? It is hard to tell from what little we have seen of the TS4 sims if I like them or not, I am uncertain.
    rnKEhBT.png