Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What online features do you want for The Sims 4?

Comments

• Options
    Cali_Pier92Cali_Pier92 Posts: 1,671 Member
    edited May 2013
    thesimling wrote:
    Do you even have any sandwiches in your picnic at all!?!?!? :hunf:
    I think he's on a no carb diet...
  • Options
    Erja888Erja888 Posts: 4,847 Member
    edited May 2013
    None.

I hope an EA employee sees this and takes it into consideration developing the game.
    I'd love to see a singing career in game, EA! You can't let the singing skill go to waste! My TS4 EPs: GTW, GT, CL, C&D, S, GF, IL, DU, EL, SE, CoL, HSY, GrT, HR, FR GPs: OR, SD, DO, V, P, JA, SV, RoM, DHD, MWS
  • Options
    ZerbuZerbu Posts: 3,457 Member
    edited May 2013
    thesimling wrote:
    Zerbu wrote:
    don't use them.
    And what if they aren't optional? pffffft Some people really are two sandwiches short of a picnic around here!
    https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/slippery-slope

thesimling wrote:
    Zerbu wrote:
    The game doesn't revolve around what you want. ;) The existence of online features doesn't harm you, and if you don't like them then you don't have to use them.
    Nor does it revolve around what you want! Sheesh! Do you even have any sandwiches in your picnic at all!?!?!? :hunf:

Tell me where I implied it did, and don't forget to show your work.
  • Options
    Allspice1232Allspice1232 Posts: 3,234 Member
    edited May 2013
    If multiplayer is optional and singleplayer is offline and fully what you would expect from a sims game, that's fine. I would not complain a bit about that.
    If it isn't optional or singleplayer is gimped in an attempt to force us to play multiplayer, I won't buy it. I got burned by SimCity, it won't happen again.
    34336_s.gif
  • Options
    thesimlingthesimling Posts: 4,486 New Member
    edited May 2013
    Zerbu wrote:
    thesimling wrote:
    Zerbu wrote:
    don't use them.
    And what if they aren't optional? pffffft Some people really are two sandwiches short of a picnic around here!

thesimling wrote:
    Zerbu wrote:
    The game doesn't revolve around what you want. ;) The existence of online features doesn't harm you, and if you don't like them then you don't have to use them.
    Nor does it revolve around what you want! Sheesh! Do you even have any sandwiches in your picnic at all!?!?!? :hunf:

Would you mind being polite enough to give me a proper response, preferably a sentence as opposed to a web URL telling me my logical is on a "slippery slope" even though it's perfectly reasonable saying that, if we buy TS4, and online features are unavoidable, we can't avoid them.

"My work"? What do you mean by "my work"? And you implied it just as much as the person you're replying to, by saying "I personally would like"; that isn't a legitimate reason, but nor is yours. And since the title of your thread is "What online features do youwant for The Sims 4?" I pthink that it's perfectly viable for people to say that they don't want any, just as it's viable for you to say your want some.

Seriously people. :roll:
    thesimling wrote:
    Do you even have any sandwiches in your picnic at all!?!?!? :hunf:
    I think he's on a no carb diet...
    You never know!

stt5K.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Urosh1994 wrote:
    Also, one interesting find of mine. I went on DigitalSpy to browse it and found article about this announcement. I was intrigued enough to go through comments and see if they match thoughts on forums, and the oh-so-shocking answer was no. There are people who are more than excited for an online Sims game. And they pretty much outnumber those who are against it.

I agree with them! An online Sims game with the features described has actually been the game I've wanted ever since I learned that multiplayer online games exist.

I hope you're able to have the same player go between multiple players' worlds, and it would also be cool if you could create places like commercial districts, natural environments, and others, rather than being limited to residential neighborhoods. :D
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    thesimling wrote:
    Zerbu wrote:
    thesimling wrote:
    Zerbu wrote:
    don't use them.

thesimling wrote:
    Zerbu wrote:

Would you mind being polite enough to give me a proper response, preferably a sentence as opposed to a web URL telling me my logical is on a "slippery slope" even though it's perfectly reasonable saying that, if we buy TS4, and online features are unavoidable, we can't avoid them.

"My work"? What do you mean by "my work"? And you implied it just as much as the person you're replying to, by saying "I personally would like"; that isn't a legitimate reason, but nor is yours. And since the title of your thread is "What online features do youwant for The Sims 4?" I pthink that it's perfectly viable for people to say that they don't want any, just as it's viable for you to say your want some.

Seriously people. :roll:

I made a suggestion, and asked for people to share their suggestions. Her post was about how it was her right to demand everything go her way, which is not a suggestion, it's an entitlement complex.

And yes, by implying that having online features inevitable means they'll be forced is a slippery slope logical fallacy.
  • Options
    Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    edited May 2013
    If I said what I want to say about the OP's attitude, I'd probably be permabanned from the forums.

Suffice to say that in its current iteration, the Sims CANNOT BE ONLINE in any multiplayer or MMO capacity, the resources required (not only from the system but also from the studio making it in terms of money) would be astronomical.

Let's put just some of it into perspective:

1) Firstly each and every sim along with animals, collectibles, relationship data, inventories, rewards, traits and needs would have to be constantly updated between machines (otherwise the games wouldn't sync).

2) Each house and every household would also have to be regularly scanned for changes and those changes sent across the net.

Now these two points above alone mean that your game would routinely be transmitting many hundreds of Megabytes of information every time an update was required, that's going to slow it to hell... A single sim can be over 50 Megs on their own.

3) Custom content would be a thing of the past as would modding (bye bye NRaas), the game wouldn't be able to support mod capabilities and multiplayer as well, it's one or the other due to changes in the core code of one game not being transmittable to another without shutting down the game first.

4) Any FPS limiters or similar programs you use would also be gone, again the effects are not transmittable.

5) Origin requirement, it'd be inevitable.

6) Depending on how they handle multiplayer, you could also face server issues (and SimCity players know all about them)

7) We all know how easily the Sims 3 can corrupt a save game, can you imagine how it'd handle internet information being processed?

If you want the Sims online then good luck to you, it'll be online but it will NOT be the sims, no computer is capable of running something like that over the internet.
    raw
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Zerbu wrote:
    I made a suggestion, and asked for people to share their suggestions. Her post was about how it was her right to demand everything go her way, which is not a suggestion, it's an entitlement complex.

And yes, by implying that having online features inevitable means they'll be forced is a slippery slope logical fallacy.
    Her post was about how it was her right to say*. Not demand. Say. Get your facts right. It isn't an entitlement complex, as someone who is paying money on products and a loyal fan, she should be able to give her opinion. :roll:

And no. Just no. I didn't SAY that. I said that if they are a core part of the game with no single-player mode, they will be forced and unavoidable... Seriously, can I get whatever you're on that makes me deluded enough to think I'm right all the time? :hunf:
  • Options
    AnavastiaAnavastia Posts: 6,515 Member
    edited May 2013
    Anavastia wrote:
    I just want to ask with this option of online sweet treats in your version of the game. Given that sims is for 12 and up. You have an ingame chat with the option to play with simmmers. That means build families woohoo etc. correct?

What's in place to protect minors from being prey to bullies, pedofiles, and etc. I'm just curious. Is their going to be an age restriction in place for accounts. Or are they gonna raise the ERSB.

Or do they take the ability to woohoo out? That sounds like i get less of a game already how will i get lineages than in my game.

It's questions i think warrant an answer because if we play together what prevents sims 4 from becoming like the original TSO.

It would be friends only. If the person is not your friend and they are a bully or *********, why would you invite them into your game? Wouldn't you report and block the person? This is where common sense comes into play.

EA would do what they do now and state on their boxes that their online interactions are not rated by the ESRB and that a person must be 13+ to access online features.

I ask that same question why would someone invite a bully to be their friend on the mypages but it happens.

Also my question more so leans to the parents side of things how do parents know that the person on the friends list isn't some grown person with other motives. How do we check how the kids in game chats are going.

I know i don't let my kids online without me watching but not every parent does so. I'm just curious if there is some kind of you can't create this account without parents permission, etc. things like that in place.
  • Options
    Urosh1994Urosh1994 Posts: 2,425 Member
    edited May 2013
    And just as expected. People get bumhurt about simple discussion regarding something they don't like. All of the sudden, it's a freaking witch hunt.

Solution? Don't like a thread, ignore it. I hate how excuse to post "NONE! I hate online" is that "This is a forum and we can talk about it if we want" - guess what, it's not on topic!

Thread asks what features you'd like to see, not if you like such or not. Might sound shocking to rest of you, but there are some of us who do like this, so please - leave and let us enjoy the discussion or stay on topic.
  • Options
    Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    edited May 2013
    Urosh1994 wrote:
    bumhurt

Funny, the only people I've ever seen using this word or others like it, have always been arrogant *****... Thanks for confirming that for me.
    raw
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Urosh1994 wrote:
    And just as expected. People get bumhurt about simple discussion regarding something they don't like. All of the sudden, it's a freaking witch hunt.

Solution? Don't like a thread, ignore it. I hate how excuse to post "NONE! I hate online" is that "This is a forum and we can talk about it if we want" - guess what, it's not on topic!

Thread asks what features you'd like to see, not if you like such or not. Might sound shocking to rest of you, but there are some of us who do like this, so please - leave and let us enjoy the discussion or stay on topic.

Excuse me I hope im not the target of such a rant Urosh. I think I'm asking some legit question here. Everyone saying what they want in these features im not even saying their all the way bad. However we do have to think about the demographic of players. I like the optional idea of peer to peer connection. I like the idea of going to a controlled area to shop and what not. However i do have minors that play sims i'd like to know with all these ideas is there some fore thought into how this would work given the large diversity this group has.

Blocking people and reporting them doesn't even work on the forums etc. What if this becomes like an online multiplayer then i have questions of will there even be GM's.
  • Options
    SweetieTreatsSweetieTreats Posts: 2,668 Member
    edited May 2013
    Anavastia wrote:
    Anavastia wrote:
    I just want to ask with this option of online sweet treats in your version of the game. Given that sims is for 12 and up. You have an ingame chat with the option to play with simmmers. That means build families woohoo etc. correct?

What's in place to protect minors from being prey to bullies, pedofiles, and etc. I'm just curious. Is their going to be an age restriction in place for accounts. Or are they gonna raise the ERSB.

Or do they take the ability to woohoo out? That sounds like i get less of a game already how will i get lineages than in my game.

It's questions i think warrant an answer because if we play together what prevents sims 4 from becoming like the original TSO.

It would be friends only. If the person is not your friend and they are a bully or *********, why would you invite them into your game? Wouldn't you report and block the person? This is where common sense comes into play.

EA would do what they do now and state on their boxes that their online interactions are not rated by the ESRB and that a person must be 13+ to access online features.

I ask that same question why would someone invite a bully to be their friend on the mypages but it happens.

Also my question more so leans to the parents side of things how do parents know that the person on the friends list isn't some grown person with other motives. How do we check how the kids in game chats are going.

I know i don't let my kids online without me watching but not every parent does so. I'm just curious if there is some kind of you can't create this account without parents permission, etc. things like that in place.

I believe at the end of the day, it is the responsibility of parents to monitor their children. If parents think this is going to be a problem for their children, they have the option not to buy their kids the game or not to allow their children to play the game.

EA states on the boxes of their games that the online interactions are not rated and also states that a person has to be 13+ to access the online features. They also provide an epilepsy warning inside the box. They give the website for their terms of service and privacy policy.

If parents let their younger kids play and access the features and don't monitor them and something happens, I believe the blame should be on the parents and not on EA. If a kid is not smart enough to block someone who is bullying them online from their mypages, then maybe they should not use their mypages.

Although I don't have biological kids, I understand your worries. Parents have to teach and monitor their children because it is no one else's responsibility.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Urosh1994 wrote:
    it's not on topic!

And none is a legitimate answer ;) Therefore, it's on topic. So yeah.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Anavastia wrote:
    Urosh1994 wrote:

Excuse me I hope im not the target of such a rant Urosh. I think I'm asking some legit question here. Everyone saying what they want in these features im not even saying their all the way bad. However we do have to think about the demographic of players. I like the optional idea of peer to peer connection. I like the idea of going to a controlled area to shop and what not. However i do have minors that play sims i'd like to know with all these ideas is there some fore thought into how this would work given the large diversity this group has.

Blocking people and reporting them doesn't even work on the forums etc. What if this becomes like an online multiplayer then i have questions of will there even be GM's.

Wasn't directed at you. I understand your questions about privacy and safety, and as that discussion was with SweetieTreats, I decided to not interfere :) I do have some thoughts on it, but as it wasn't my discussion to being with, I didn't want to simply pop right in and interrupt.

My rant was directed at most people whose (almost) only intention on this forum is to go around slamming online features. I do respect their opinions but not in threads such as this. Person who is excited for those should have his space to express opinions and share it with those of us who feel the same way. I don't go around some threads I dislike just to hate on them, so I fail to see why others do that when it comes to this thread.
    Evil_One wrote:
    Urosh1994 wrote:
    bumhurt

Funny, the only people I've ever seen using this word or others like it, have always been arrogant *****... Thanks for confirming that for me.
    Nice stereotyping :D Way to go :) And I'll just leave you to base your opinion about me on one fun word :lol: Enjoy! :lol:
    thesimling wrote:

None is. But blabbing about how it's bad, or how it'll ruin Sims, or how we'll have to do this or that is not. Leave enthusiasm for those enthusiastic, and go enjoy threads you like rather than those you don't like. :)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Urosh1994 wrote:
    thesimling wrote:

None is. But blabbing about how it's bad, or how it'll ruin Sims, or how we'll have to do this or that is not. Leave enthusiasm for those enthusiastic, and go enjoy threads you like rather than those you don't like. :)
    "Blabbing" about how it's bad is explaining the reason for them not wanting online features. And just because someone has an opposing opinion in a thread doesn't mean they dislike the thread.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Urosh1994 wrote:
    Anavastia wrote:
    Urosh1994 wrote:

Wasn't directed at you. I understand your questions about privacy and safety, and as that discussion was with SweetieTreats, I decided to not interfere :) I do have some thoughts on it, but as it wasn't my discussion to being with, I didn't want to simply pop right in and interrupt.

My rant was directed at most people whose (almost) only intention on this forum is to go around slamming online features. I do respect their opinions but not in threads such as this. Person who is excited for those should have his space to express opinions and share it with those of us who feel the same way. I don't go around some threads I dislike just to hate on them, so I fail to see why others do that when it comes to this thread.
    Evil_One wrote:
    Urosh1994 wrote:
    bumhurt

Nice stereotyping :D Way to go :) And I'll just leave you to base your opinion about me on one fun word :lol: Enjoy! :lol:
    thesimling wrote:

Funny. When I go into popular idea threads and slam the idea (like OFB) I am considered a troll but when people go into less popular idea threads and slam the idea, they are giving an opinion and adding to the discussion. The double standard on here amazes me.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Anavastia wrote:
    Anavastia wrote:

I believe at the end of the day, it is the responsibility of parents to monitor their children. If parents think this is going to be a problem for their children, they have the option not to buy their kids the game or not to allow their children to play the game.

EA states on the boxes of their games that the online interactions are not rated and also states that a person has to be 13+ to access the online features. They also provide an epilepsy warning inside the box. They give the website for their terms of service and privacy policy.

If parents let their younger kids play and access the features and don't monitor them and something happens, I believe the blame should be on the parents and not on EA. If a kid is not smart enough to block someone who is bullying them online from their mypages, then maybe they should not use their mypages.

Although I don't have biological kids, I understand your worries. Parents have to teach and monitor their children because it is no one else's responsibility.

I want to make note sweets that that is true but as far as parents responsibility, again i want to point out sims even with in game chat the chat is still public on the mypages players see what is being posted. Many times parents can't control everything, mistakes happen, etc. I still feel there needs to be safety nets in place to help just in case those scenerio's come up. Right now, If a person that is known to be a child is targeted the community comes to the rescue. I'd like to make sure that is still the case that this chat system isn't just peer to peer chat.

Also the ERSB still has those guidelines for sims as it's still considered a singleplayer game. That does change a lot when the game becomes similar to a co op or multiplayer with private peer connection. So i have concerns which are natural as again i do have minors that play. Frankily not every parent is like me i monitor my kids but i look out for others because i do worry. I've seen many a time a child become a target and i try to talk them into telling their parents, but if mom or dad had been standing there watching etc. I just know yes parents are responsible but that is not always the case. it be nice to know EA looks out for it's younger users as well.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Funny. When I go into popular idea threads and slam the idea (like OFB) I am considered a troll but when people go into less popular idea threads and slam the idea, they are giving an opinion and adding to the discussion. The double standard on here amazes me.
    Exactly my point. :? It annoys me.

But I can't say I didn't see this whole thing coming. I knew opening a thread like this would be instant magnet of dislike (would say hate, but it's a strong word).
  • Options
    SinkalaSinkala Posts: 475 Member
    edited May 2013
    Anavastia wrote:
    Anavastia wrote:

I am with Anavastia on this, most games with multiplayer online features have a much older age restriction than the sims does. You can of course teach a child to block any bullies or harrassment, but unfortunately, you can't "teach" a child to spot an adult posing as a kid. Expecting a parent to sit behind their child and monitor every conversation or interaction that goes on in the sims is extremely unrealistic

I am sure that EA have considered this and perhaps limited the online interactions
  • Options
    adventfearadventfear Posts: 1,766 Member
    edited May 2013
    Urosh1994 wrote:
    Exactly my point. :? It annoys me.

But I can't say I didn't see this whole thing coming. I knew opening a thread like this would be instant magnet of dislike (would say hate, but it's a strong word).

Yeah. I hate to be "that guy" but when you choose a popular thread to bash something which it's proven the majority wants, and then coming here saying that it doesn't make sense that people discuss their opinion on something that it's proven the majority DOESN'T want... it hurts my brain.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Here is what i don't want to happen and what i want to happen.

For sims 4 i do hope there is peer to peer play. Where players can play with one another however I do want the chat system to remain like it is here. That it posts to a public my page so that in case there are minors that are playing chat is not out of control and i think that is a good safety net.

I like the idea of connecting to a mall and shopping, going to restaurants and visiting with friends. I like the idea of playing in game were my sims friend is my neighbor etc.

What i don't want to see is gameplay become less. I was very tired of being text and told what my sims are doing. I like to see more emotions and I'd like to see more animation of what my sims is doing. let me and a friend tell our own story if that is the case.

I don't want to be limited to one town, and i don't want to be limited to one avatar. I want to still keep the concepts of sims build where i want on my map, build the houses i like, the venue's i like etc. Venues should be a base game thing so sick of rabbit holes.

Anyway i like co op careers too. Say i become a ghost hunter than me and my friend can work together to catch ghosts. Or like the home designer career we can both help make sculptures paintings etc to decorate houses. So hands on careers are a must i think for peer to peer play.

I don't want content restrictions like simport had. I want to play but i don't think there should be something that is rewarded and forces me to pester my friends and rely on them.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Anavastia wrote:
    Here is what i don't want to happen and what i want to happen.

For sims 4 i do hope there is peer to peer play. Where players can play with one another however I do want the chat system to remain like it is here. That it posts to a public my page so that in case there are minors that are playing chat is not out of control and i think that is a good safety net.

I like the idea of connecting to a mall and shopping, going to restaurants and visiting with friends. I like the idea of playing in game were my sims friend is my neighbor etc.

What i don't want to see is gameplay become less. I was very tired of being text and told what my sims are doing. I like to see more emotions and I'd like to see more animation of what my sims is doing. let me and a friend tell our own story if that is the case.

I don't want to be limited to one town, and i don't want to be limited to one avatar. I want to still keep the concepts of sims build where i want on my map, build the houses i like, the venue's i like etc. Venues should be a base game thing so sick of rabbit holes.

Anyway i like co op careers too. Say i become a ghost hunter than me and my friend can work together to catch ghosts. Or like the home designer career we can both help make sculptures paintings etc to decorate houses. So hands on careers are a must i think for peer to peer play.

I don't want content restrictions like simport had. I want to play but i don't think there should be something that is rewarded and forces me to pester my friends and rely on them.

I like and agree with most of your ideas especially the one about Simport.
  • Options
    DDOAndoraDDOAndora Posts: 245 Member
    edited May 2013
    What I want I fear will be taken. I want full building and landscaping. I want a full world. I want to have generational families. I want open venues. I want to be able to mod my game.

As it stands looking at the new sim city I will not have that. This whole time with Sims 3 my self and others like me have had hate rained down on our heads if we say any thing bad about the Sims 3. I see that will continue with the new gen game.

The good news for my husband is that we will have extra cash for what I will not be spending.