The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

is sims3 at all cpu bound?

Still contemplating a $200 cpu upgrade.
I have an... 8 core? I think it's actually 4 cores with "hyperthreading" to look like 8 cores, at 2.7ghz.

Can sims3 use all 4 real cores, for one question? So that i7>i5?

and second, would either trying to overclock to 3.5ghz, or buying another cpu that can do the same, help sims3 to run better?
hence the question: is sims3 at all cpu bound?

If it never really needs more than 2.7ghz, well then no, it would be a silly upgrade on my part.
If it really can... then it might run much better!

Comments

• Options
    CountessCrazyCountessCrazy Posts: 133 Member
    edited March 2013
    All I know is I had a computer built for Sims 3 and the guy installed it on the new PC. He said I would have been better off getting a single powerful processor if such a thing existed.
  • Options
    stickykissesstickykisses Posts: 2,039 Member
    edited March 2013
    bumping, just to find out what the tech-heads think about processors. :D I have heard, do not know if it's true or not, that Sims3 wasn't really designed to take advantage of hyper-threading -- unless I was totally misunderstanding (which is possible). And unless I'm also misunderstanding about this, hyper-threading is just a fancy word to describe how the computer deals with having multi-cores. So yes, in that case bigger processors with less cores would be the way to go.

I have a 3gHz processor (dual core) with almost every ep, stuff pack, Store items installed and -- except for the very recent crashing due to only 4 ram which is now supposedly fixed -- my computer seems to be running great once again and having less issues actually running the game compared to some folks with much bigger computers. (But then again maybe the folks with big computers who aren't having problems, just don't have anything to complain about.)

That all really makes me pause and go what the heck? I would guess that I could definitely use more ram, but er, spending $1800 and up just to get more ram is kinda off-putting.

My budget is tight, I don't want to invest $2500 in a system which new technology renders... awkward... in the same way that happened right after I bought this 32 bit machine. The component engineers have been desperately trying for a few years now to up the processing power and I'm wondering if anybody knows if anything new is coming, besides woo woo more cores.