Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Mac help threads & guides - PLEASE START HERE BEFORE POSTING A PROBLEM - *updated 05.06.15*

Comments

• Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    edited April 2013
    Why would we think you're using pirated copies??

If moving out the Sims folder doesn't work then you need to probably try a clean uninstall and reinstall. Have you repaired permissions in Disk Utility?

If that doesn't work then you may unfortunately be one of the gamers who can't get the game to run at all on their Mac. :(
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    ashjack20ashjack20 Posts: 163 Member
    edited April 2013
    Bumping
  • Options
    SylviaheartxSylviaheartx Posts: 5
    edited April 2013
    Every time I try to open the launcher this shows up..

/Applications/The Sims 3.localized/The Sims3.app/Contents/Resources/AddOns/The Sims 3 Seasons.app/Contents/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/Program Files/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3 University Life -> ../../../../../../../The Sims 3 University Life.app/Contents/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/Program Files/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3 University Life

what do I do?
  • Options
    lovelyloonylunalovelyloonyluna Posts: 5
    edited April 2013
    Little background information, I have a MacBook Pro with the Sims 3 base game, Sims 3 Pets, and just now installed the Sims 3 Generations. This installation was successful, I can view it in my "Games" folder next to the regular Sims 3 icon, but when I click on either icons and the Sims 3 game Launcher appears, there is not a highlighted Sims 3 Generations icon at the bottom of the Launcher, in the same way that the Sims 3 base and Sims 3 Pets icon is highlighted. Have I downloaded something wrong, is there a way to fix it? I am also in the middle of downloading the Super Patch for my mac. Thanks so much.
  • Options
    gaa17gaa17 Posts: 846 Member
    edited April 2013
    b u m p
  • Options
    sims929292sims929292 Posts: 62 Member
    edited April 2013
    I'm a bit confused. I'm not to great at understanding computer terms. So, what she put for "Primary things to try first" is that supposed to fix the game so it doesn't crash anymore? After I regenerate the files, that should fix it so it stops crashing? Also, what happens if it still crashes after I moved that folder onto the desktop? I've gathered from her post that it means I need to uninstall everything and reinstall it right? So then that would fix the crashing?
    Lots of questions I know, but the semester is almost over and I was excited to spend three months relaxing and playing the sims, until I found out it's nearly unplayable because it crashes so much!
    Thanks for any input :)
  • Options
    sims929292sims929292 Posts: 62 Member
    edited April 2013
    It was a double posting - sorry! I would delete this post but can't figure out how :oops:

I posted here an hour ago but it didn't show up so let me try again. Hopefully this won't be a double posting.
    I'm a bit confused. I'm not to good at understanding computer terms.
    So, what she put for "Primary things to try first" is that supposed to fix the game so it stops crashing? After I regenerate my files, it will stop crashing right?
    What happens if I move the folder onto the desktop and it still crashes? From what I've gathered from her post, I should uninstall and reinstall The Sims 3? So that will stop the crashing then?
    The semester is almost over and I was excited for three months of relaxing and playing the sims, until I found out it's nearly unplayable because it crashes so much!
    Thanks for any input :)
  • Options
    BatshebaBatsheba Posts: 44 Member
    edited April 2013
    Bump
  • Options
    Creaky2005Creaky2005 Posts: 1,974 New Member
    edited May 2013
    Hey BluebellFlora, I was sent here through the GD forum because i have a problem with my game and people said you would be more qualified to help since I am on a mac and you are knowledgeable in that department. Here is the link to the thread, with the description of my problem. If any one here could help it would me much appreciated as I am almost at my wits end with this problem and doing a clean reinstall is the only thing left for me to do.

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/673577.page
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Hi Creaky - try resetting RAM during gameplay, sounds like a memory issue. Instructions are linked to in my opening post on this thread :)
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Hi Creaky - try resetting RAM during gameplay, sounds like a memory issue. Instructions are linked to in my opening post on this thread :)

I will try this and get back to you. But out of curiosity would some kind of loading or rendering happening in the game before the time of freezing cause memory issues? Because I find it to be weird that the freezing isn't spontaneous or random but happens at a particular point in time and can sometimes be bypassed through resetting objects, sims, loading back up saves, or deleting an object that I suspect is glitched?

Also can mods that are a heavy strain on the system be cause for memory issues or lagging/freezing etc? For instance perhaps my comp doesn't have enough ram or processing power to run something like nraas' SP mod?
  • Options
    ishkeveroneishkeverone Posts: 4
    edited May 2013
    Here I thought it was my craziness somehow causing the Sims to randomly crash and freeze--turns out, it isn't so!

Seems it's something I have to "deal with", which is unfortunate, but I feel a little better knowing I'm not the only one having problems.

Hopefully EA finds a way to make The Sims more Mac-friendly.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    @Creaky - because Cider is so unpredictable and unstable it could be anything. What are the specs. of your Mac? How much RAM do you have? When I load up my game it uses an additional 2Gb RAM just to get to the menu screen. It then uses a further 1Gb when the town is loaded and playable.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    LeslieCheeseLeslieCheese Posts: 8
    edited May 2013
    Hi, I have a Mac and I just recently purchased the sims 3 pets. I purchased it off Amazon though as a direct download and yes I've used origin and I have tried to start it up from there. I also have the base game of Sims 3 so that's not a problem. I've updated the game 3 times I have the update that's like 1.0.63 etc. So I've uninstalled, reinstalled the sims 3 and the sims 3 pets about four times each and no luck. I'm getting aggravated because I'm not sure of the problem. I've updated and I've even installed the sims 3 pets to my computer and through origin but every time I get the same response. When I click the sims 3 pets icon all that pops up is the sims 3 base icon and it starts the sims 3 as if I chose to play that game. The sims pets Icon does not appear at all anymore and then the sims 3 game starts to run. I've honestly ran out of ideas and I'm super upset because I can't get my money back now that it's a download. :(

**I posted this on another thread but this seemed more active. Also, I've looked through this thread and didn't really find anything to match my problem so if you find anything let me know! Thank you!
  • Options
    caspinwallcaspinwall Posts: 916 Member
    edited May 2013
    Bumping back to page 1
    GeneralSig_SF_03.png
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    bluebell, so I tried to purge but apparently I need xcode and I could not install as apparently it is not available for my version of osx which is 10.6.8. Is there anything else I can do to see if this issue is ram related or do you suggest something else?

I can provide specs for my mac if you would like. I can imagine that it is possible that they barely meet the minimum requirements or even fall just short. But if they fall short, I don't understand why I have been able to play the game fine since mid 2010 when I bought it, and experienced virtually no freezing or crashing even after installing a few eps. The freezing only started after I installed cc, store items, and mods in feb. I can't think of anything besides corrupt cc or adding more items and mods leading to me not having enough ram to run the game.
  • Options
    ajkatsiajkatsi Posts: 1
    edited May 2013
    So, I'm having this issue also, and I was trying to go through your steps to resolve it, but I came across an odd problem.

I moved the EA folder from my Documents to an external hard drive, and yet when I open my game, all of the save files are still there, as is the custom content. I have no idea where it's gone, and when I search for it in Finder nothing comes up! What do you think happened? Should I try uninstalling and reinstalling everything? I just have no idea where it's keeping these files when I moved them from where I thought they were lol
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Bumping...
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    ashjack20ashjack20 Posts: 163 Member
    edited May 2013
    Bump.

I'm seeing new threads being created for topics that are on this list...
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Updated 28.05.13
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    gaa17gaa17 Posts: 846 Member
    edited May 2013
    (bump)

I wish more people would take the time to read this. Yes, it's long, but it's what you need!

Reading is fundamental people!
  • Options
    CarmelitaDCarmelitaD Posts: 56 New Member
    edited May 2013
    I just need to make sure: if I bootcamp as above, I shall be able to play my mac version TS3 in Windows - is that right?

As ever, BlubellFlora, your step-by-step instructions are excellent. Thank you. Thanks also to other contributors. :)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Bump back to page 1 in the hope that people will see it. Lots of new threads for old problems keep pushing this thread down!
    GeneralSig_SF_03.png
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    CarmelitaD wrote:
    I just need to make sure: if I bootcamp as above, I shall be able to play my mac version TS3 in Windows - is that right?

As ever, BlubellFlora, your step-by-step instructions are excellent. Thank you. Thanks also to other contributors. :)

Correct - you will have the advantage of carrying on using your lovely Mac hardware, but your Sims game will run more happily in Windows. The disks work on either PC or Mac, or you can download the games from Origin if you use digital versions.

It's Win-Win really!
    GeneralSig_SF_03.png
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    CarmelitaD wrote:

Yes! You're welcome :)

apple-signature.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top