Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Trojan virus called Magnipic

Yesterday I discovered that my laptop wouldn't respond upon being turned on, Sims wouldn't open, Google Chrome wouldn't open and it was acting so slow and paralysed.

My Malware Bytes then showed a pop up saying that I have a Trojan virus called Magnipic. I then quarantined it but to no effect. Found this in my program files and it appeared to have been installed on 24th January. I deleted it but the laptop is still showing signs of severe infection.

Would anyone know what to do? I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T400s and cannot do a system restore. I've tried installing an anti virus called Avira but the laptop is so paralysed that nothing will run. I've rescued some files on a USB (word docs and my Sims Saves file) but am also afraid that these might be infected?

Has anyone got any advice? Magnipic seems pretty nasty. :(

Comments

• Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited March 2013
    Yesterday I discovered that my laptop wouldn't respond upon being turned on, Sims wouldn't open, Google Chrome wouldn't open and it was acting so slow and paralysed.

My Malware Bytes then showed a pop up saying that I have a Trojan virus called Magnipic. I then quarantined it but to no effect. Found this in my program files and it appeared to have been installed on 24th January. I deleted it but the laptop is still showing signs of severe infection.

Would anyone know what to do? I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T400s and cannot do a system restore. I've tried installing an anti virus called Avira but the laptop is so paralysed that nothing will run. I've rescued some files on a USB (word docs and my Sims Saves file) but am also afraid that these might be infected?

Has anyone got any advice? Magnipic seems pretty nasty. :(

It appears that the damage was done and quarantining it was too late. I wouldn't do a system restore. If it got into your boot sector you would have a lot problems. I would reformat my hard drives and reinstall the OS, however do not put any saved personal saved files back you must use a scanner to scan for any viruses. If you reinstall your OS scan your drives first and make sure your firewall in active. Also get a good Virus suite as well as one that checks for malware.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    JassieteacakeJassieteacake Posts: 237 Member
    edited March 2013
    Thank you for the advice, guys. I suspected I would need a clean re-install of the OS, I definitely want to make sure the virus is wiped completely. Hoping I haven't got infected Sims Saves files - will scan to make sure.

I really do need a decent antivirus. Will update on progress...