Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

REALLY depressed.

Guess what. Just 1 day after completing preparations for UL, my computer decided to basically self destruct. :cry: I had to get a new hard drive and I lost nigh on everything. Including my all my CAS faces. My precious, precious CAS faces. :cry: So now, I have to re-install all my games, (which is taking FOREVER), and try and find all my old stuff, (thankfully most of it is stolen from Quailhogs worlds, just need to remember which one).

I need a hug. :cry:

Comments

• Options
    PixieStixPixieStix Posts: 1,956 Member
    edited February 2013
    *HUGS! and provides hot beverage* That really sucks :( I hope you manage to find everything! Sorry your computer had to malfunction so badly! At least it got repaired quick?
    LadySmitanbanner_zps7eszqcmq.jpg
    YouTube:Lady Smitan Twitter:@LadySmitan Gallery:LadySmitan
  • Options
    Sam_Is_GreatSam_Is_Great Posts: 2,189 Member
    edited February 2013
    Yeah, I took it to the people who I bought it from. But I did spend the last few days in the fetal position crying. I love my computer so much. :lol: Maybe a bit unhealthy. Maybe.
  • Options
    GilbertoFishGilbertoFish Posts: 516 Member
    edited February 2013
    Yeah, I took it to the people who I bought it from. But I did spend the last few days in the fetal position crying. I love my computer so much. :lol: Maybe a bit unhealthy. Maybe.

I'm sure I'd have the same reaction if my computer broke-I have so much work and all my pictures and sims on here! I hope you can get it sorted in time for Uni!
  • Options
    crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited February 2013
    I know how you feel.

My laptop power supply has been broken for 6 weeks now. It takes forever to get a new one cause it has such a stupid plug. It was broken first around Christmas, then I was able to get if fixed, run for two weeks, then it broke again.

At this point, I'm ready to let go though and get a new shiny :)

EDIT: Backups to external drives are a really great thing ;)
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    dragon114dragon114 Posts: 1,203 Member
    edited February 2013
    i know how you fell. i coudnt stand to lose all of my digital download games and mod for skyrim. you know how long digital download games take to downnload
  • Options
    PretodaPretoda Posts: 1,533 New Member
    edited February 2013
    Awwww that sucks. I would probably go nuts if something major happened to my computer. Actually that happened on my last computer now that I think about it. I had a virus and I couldn't do anything on my computer for days. I finally just gave in and got a new one. Now my game works perfectly I have had some freezing issues and some lag at times but it is the only thing I have in my game.

Also tip never ever uninstall the remote desktop program even if you are never going to use it. That is how I corrupted my computer and then I got a virus at the same time.

• Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    edited February 2013
    Awww... here's a big hug for you, and for laptop-less Crin:

tumblr_m0lgriUiVK1rqfhi2o1_500.gif

• Options
    zefiewingszefiewings Posts: 2,649 Member
    edited February 2013
    :shock:
    Hugs!

I'm so sorry for you! :?
    ff1pc0.jpg
    My Blog story with the challenge of my own design! Click and see!
  • Options
    allisoneg02allisoneg02 Posts: 2,870 Member
    edited February 2013
    I have had those scares before!! Which is why now I backup my sims folder on an external hard drive. It is a huge lifesaver in case something bad happens I still have all my stuff!!

Hope you get your stuff up and running soon :wink:
    - Check out my youtube channel and my sims 4 legacy on tumblr-
    alliesim02
    The Scott Legacy
  • Options
    PixieStixPixieStix Posts: 1,956 Member
    edited February 2013
    I never get overly attached to my sims so when my computer has a massive fit and ruins my games it's not all that bad if I have to start from scratch, the only sims I truly care about I have in my studio on here, I also don't have any 3rd party CC so I just come on here DL all my store stuff from my purchase history and then a few lots/worlds saved in my favourites :)

I know others aren't like me though and have a lot of important CC and sims/games that they don't want to lose so I do feel very sorry for those people when they lose these things because of computer issues. :(
    LadySmitanbanner_zps7eszqcmq.jpg
    YouTube:Lady Smitan Twitter:@LadySmitan Gallery:LadySmitan
  • Options
    PretodaPretoda Posts: 1,533 New Member
    edited February 2013
    PixieStix wrote:
    I never get overly attached to my sims so when my computer has a massive fit and ruins my games it's not all that bad if I have to start from scratch, the only sims I truly care about I have in my studio on here, I also don't have any 3rd party CC so I just come on here DL all my store stuff from my purchase history and then a few lots/worlds saved in my favourites :)

I know others aren't like me though and have a lot of important CC and sims/games that they don't want to lose so I do feel very sorry for those people when they lose these things because of computer issues. :(

I'm like you I don't get overly attached in fact the only time I lose my Simmies is when I personally decided I'm done playing them! Yeah ADD on the Sims go figure.
  • Options
    StephenTMStephenTM Posts: 908 Member
    edited February 2013
    I'm like 9 generations deep in one game. I'd be devastated if I lost them. :(
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    It's not that I'm attached to the Sims, (though I do have favourites), I'm just attached to their faces. Like my avatar here, she looked like Claire Danes when she smiled. And now she's gone, gone forevers! :cry: Can't even get her off the exchange since EA decided to remove her for reasons unknown. :(
  • Options
    SpazyGirlieSpazyGirlie Posts: 8
    edited February 2013
    That is horrible. And I feel you I just got a new computer after two years of being without one. External hardrives are awesome. My husband put all my stuff on one so when I finally got a new computer I could just update things that needed it and add everything in. Good luck with everything I hope you can gat it fixed quickly
  • Options
    KatnapKatnap Posts: 2,251 Member
    edited February 2013
    *hugs*

Use backup, backup, backup. Flash drives come big enough to hold most stuff and are cheap. External drive prices have come down a lot as well. I too, learned the hard way. Back up those files.
  • Options
    EmmaBarbieEmmaBarbie Posts: 5,836 Member
    edited February 2013
    th_KittenHugs.gif
    I hope things get better for you :(
    You're too late.
  • Options
    lolzbrlolzbr Posts: 989 Member
    edited February 2013
    :cry: *HUGS!* for sure, I know how you feel:thumbdown:
    it isn't fun losing your sims games, and it wouldn't be pleasant to lose your computer all together. hope everything works out:(
  • Options
    Aeroprincess87Aeroprincess87 Posts: 6,417 Member
    edited February 2013
    That sucks. M game decided to stop working one day out of the blue and I started getting the blue screen of death. Ended up having to reinstall everything and it was such a pain! Hopefully you can find most of the stuff you had already before you lost everything. *hugs*
  • Options
    Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    edited February 2013
    Katnap wrote:
    *hugs*

Use backup, backup, backup. Flash drives come big enough to hold most stuff and are cheap. External drive prices have come down a lot as well. I too, learned the hard way. Back up those files.

I also learned the hard way. While I had a copy of my Sims 2 folder off of my old desktop I didn't think at the time that I was attached to any of my Sims 3 saves. A year later, I'm taking a stroll down memory lane with my various blogs and realize that I want to continue one of those saves. So I had to recreate my founder and grab Sinbad Rotter from Twinbrook and use the make a baby feature in CAS to recreate their kids.

And like the OP my old desktop died of hard drive failure.

I did buy some flash drives (1 for Sims 2 stuff. 1 for Sims 3 stuff). Still haven't made the back ups XD Which I need to get onto actually doing XD

Hopefully you're able to get a computer of at least the same quality if not better before too long :D
  • Options
    Sid1701D9Sid1701D9 Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited February 2013
    Guess what. Just 1 day after completing preparations for UL, my computer decided to basically self destruct. :cry: I had to get a new hard drive and I lost nigh on everything. Including my all my CAS faces. My precious, precious CAS faces. :cry: So now, I have to re-install all my games, (which is taking FOREVER), and try and find all my old stuff, (thankfully most of it is stolen from Quailhogs worlds, just need to remember which one).

I need a hug. :cry:

Still not munch information on lost your hard drive. I believe there are many possibilities and some computer repair places are not repable. Since I am someone of a computer tech. I love playing around with computer parts as a hobby when I have time. The hard drive is still good if you don't hear a grinding noise. Bad hard drives are loud and kinda annoying. Also another thing is the tape and power cables are a bit of a problem as they can easily come out of the plug in as they are just glued in the plactic connector. Now the flat data tape if it is teared just a little bit you can get a few errors that affect software read write functions.

I am trying to get a major in Computer Information System with a minor on how hardware effects software.

Read Write Error with load grinding noise bad hard drive.
    hard drive has hard time writing reading something about can't find drive or invalid path to drive during start up or loading or saving something. Internal power plug on hard drive may be worn. Next one is a little more trickier this is the data cable if that cable is scratch bent or cute the cable can cause same symtoms of a bad hard drive but without the annoying grinding noise. Its the cable. The other thing is the hard drive controller on the motherboard if that goes out than no hard drive will be recognized. So just because you get the read write error does not mean the hard drive is bad.
    Sid1701d-"I love my life, live my life and live to play, laugh and have fun."

"Love will Fight, Love will Win and Love will Survive."
  • Options
    kaleidoscopeskaleidoscopes Posts: 61 New Member
    edited February 2013
    Oh no! I'm so sorry this happened, and so soon before University too. :(
    I've had this happen to me several times, which is why I have my game files; my saves, saved sims, my library, mods, downloads, and backup copies of the game installation files (so I don't have to wait through hours of re-downloading through Origin everytime I need to reload) backed up on an external drive. It doesn't take that long, and it saves a lot of hassle and frustration. And not just Sims, I try to keep myself in the habit of backing up everything I thinking important, because I've had my hard drives crash too many times and been completely unable to retrieve years of documents and pictures off of them.
  • Options
    LastPoeticKissLastPoeticKiss Posts: 328
    edited February 2013
    Is it possible to access your old hard drive and retrieve your old sims folder? I remember when my hard drive crapped out on me, I was able to make it like an external hard drive, save everything I needed from it.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    They mainly got the really big things I need for real life, the things normal people would call "important".

By the way, thanks everyone for the support. You are now all my favourites. :mrgreen:

And I'm just going through my purchase history to get my store content back, (so much, I really need a life), and Aeroprincess87, thank you so much, I've wanted that door for ages now but I keep forgetting about it. Super-favourite!!! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    j0nathanhj0nathanh Posts: 115 Member
    edited February 2013
    make sure you save your sims next time :) I always upload my pretty ones to the exchange to make sure if my laptop *****-up I can always download them again :)

*big hug*