Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Infinity Edge Pools Please

Something else I'd really like to see in Island Paradise if it's not to late to make requests would be the ability to create infinity edge pools like this:

infinity-edge-pool-and-view.jpg

Currently, you can build an infinity edge via the ConstrainFloorElevation true cheat. However, the pool water height will not remain constant and thus can ruin the effect (see this thread for details).

I'd love to either see pool water height made constant or have a tool added to create the infinity edge.
Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations

Comments

• Options
    MacD13MacD13 Posts: 79 New Member
    edited February 2013
    Would be pretty cool, dunno if it would be possible though due to engine limitations.
  • Options
    becca_una83becca_una83 Posts: 1,664 Member
    edited February 2013
    I would love this feature!
  • Options
    TheFairyBugTheFairyBug Posts: 2,925 New Member
    edited February 2013
    That would be incredible! It would really free us to do whatever we want with pools!
  • Options
    danivixendanivixen Posts: 4,254 New Member
    edited February 2013
    Agreed. If there's a petition for this, I automatically sign it. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    PretodaPretoda Posts: 1,533 New Member
    edited February 2013
    I watched Curtis Paradis video where he made a Infinity Pool it was amazing. Yes he had to do alot of work to make it happen but it looked amazing. I don't know how I feel about them making it easy for us like that. However they mentioned us being able to have a Pool bar so I have a feeling we are getting new pool tool options.
  • Options
    BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    edited February 2013
    MacD13 wrote:
    Would be pretty cool, dunno if it would be possible though due to engine limitations.

It's definitely possible, MacD13; modders have done it.
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • Options
    jenny0786jenny0786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    edited February 2013
    These are gorgeous pools and they would be an amazing addition to the game. And since Island Paradise is a water themed EP; this would be the perfect time to add this!
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Pretoda wrote:
    I watched Curtis Paradis video where he made a Infinity Pool it was amazing. Yes he had to do alot of work to make it happen but it looked amazing. I don't know how I feel about them making it easy for us like that. However they mentioned us being able to have a Pool bar so I have a feeling we are getting new pool tool options.

If it's the video I'm thinking of, it wasn't a true infinity pool - the water was still well below wall height. An infinity edge makes the water look as though it will flow right over the edge. As far as I know, the only method to make one in base game is the one using CFE in the thread I linked to (which unfortunately isn't stable). If anyone knows of some other way to make a true infinity edge pool (especially one that is reliably stable!), I certainly want to know!

As far as making things easy for us, why not? I'd love to see more people be able to get into building and find it has an easier learning curve. That said, if EA just wants to make the pool water height a constant so that we can use the CFE method, that's fine with me too.
  • Options
    MacD13MacD13 Posts: 79 New Member
    edited February 2013
    BryonyRae wrote:
    MacD13 wrote:

It's definitely possible, MacD13; modders have done it.

I looked up a picture of one in game, and i guess i was wrong!

Yes please, I would like to see official implementation of this!
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Thanks, Mac! Fingers crossed. :)
  • Options
    Funky_fairy18Funky_fairy18 Posts: 318 Member
    edited February 2013
    This would be fantastic! How do infinity edge pools work by the way? I've never seen one in person.
  • Options
    xenoviewxenoview Posts: 336 Member
    edited February 2013
    This would be fantastic! How do infinity edge pools work by the way? I've never seen one in person.

An infinity edge pool (also named negative edge, zero edge, infinity pool, disappearing edge, or vanishing edge pool) is a swimming or reflecting pool that produces a visual effect of water extending to the horizon, vanishing, or extending to "infinity." They use an overflow into a catch basin about 1/4" below the edge, the water is pumped back into the pool.

Yes please include them in the IP EP.
  • Options
    danivixendanivixen Posts: 4,254 New Member
    edited February 2013
    Pretoda wrote:

Yes! Curtis is a-maz-ing!!!!
  • Options
    Aeroprincess87Aeroprincess87 Posts: 6,417 Member
    edited February 2013
    Those would be really great in IP, or Sunlit Tides for simmers who have it. Or any other tropical world for that matter.
  • Options
    miklcmiklc Posts: 3,110 Member
    edited February 2013
    That would be absolutely amazing, I am so excited to find out what cool items are going to be included in the EP. I am so happy we're getting water slides and in-pool bars, they're going to be so fun to use
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Those would be really great in IP, or Sunlit Tides for simmers who have it. Or any other tropical world for that matter.

They look amazing in Lucky Palms too, Aeroprincess, especially for the dock houses. That's actually what got me started on this - I wanted to create an infinity pool for my LP build, and I did, and only discovered after the fact that there could be an issue depending upon how the lot is placed. I want people to be able to place my lots anywhere, facing any direction and still have the infinity edge work properly.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    miklc wrote:
    That would be absolutely amazing, I am so excited to find out what cool items are going to be included in the EP. I am so happy we're getting water slides and in-pool bars, they're going to be so fun to use

I'm definitely ecstatic over all the stuff I know we're getting; I'm just hoping to slide a couple more in there that seem relevant. Doesn't hurt to try, right? :wink:
  • Options
    DarkMirageDarkMirage Posts: 5,998 Member
    edited February 2013
    Yes! I would love to see this feature added to the game.
  • Options
    Liziann1Liziann1 Posts: 1,461 Member
    edited February 2013
    YES YES YES I want Infinity pools!

I actually created one in SV a while back on the 1st hillside lot if I could figure out how to add photos to this forum I would find it, and show you, sadly it was not a true infinity pool but it worked enough for me to dream one day a real one would be possible,
    Please EA/SimGuru's help our Sims have an infinity pool

Haven't you ever had a dream . . .
    Check out My showcase thread
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/853211/dizzisquirrels-showcase#latest]
    or look for me in the Gallery
    aka DizziSquirrel

• Options
    edited February 2013
    I'm too much of a perfectionist to settle, Liziann1. :P Back in the day when I used custom content, there were some options, but I steer clear of it now, and so I really want to be able to make infinity pools using base game tools.
  • Options
    davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    edited February 2013
    :D That is so pretty. I haven't even figured out the pool tools. I can only make square and rectangle ones. I don't know how to round them ect. :roll:
  • Options
    GreenCatsGreenCats Posts: 9,318 Member
    edited February 2013
    Thank you for this thread.

Yes, I would definitely love to see infinity pools, or at least problems with the current method fixed.

Water behaves very weirdly with cfe in general - I remember it used to cause graphical issues with aquarium-style pools outside the pre-WA basements too.
    You can still find me on my old My page (http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/GreenCats), and see more of my game-play pictures and CC-free uploads at gcsims.com
  • Options
    4067567240675672 Posts: 3,553 Member
    edited February 2013
    Omg! Yes! It would be pretty cool for this expansion to add it!!! Or with a patch, you know? :D
  • Options
    SadieStarSadieStar Posts: 880 New Member
    edited February 2013
    Pretty Please? I know the scenery will be gorgeous but this would make the architecture/landscape of Island Paradise even better! :)
  • Options
    yz2907yz2907 Posts: 1,680 Member
    edited February 2013
    This would be great!