Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I need a new computer, please give me your input!

I currently have a
HP Pavilion dv6700 Notebook PC
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5750 processor
4GB Memory
NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
Windows Vista

I currently have
The Sims 3
World Adventures
Ambitions
Late Night
Generations
Pets
Showtime
Supernatural
Seasons
High-End Loft
Fast Lane
Outdoor Living
Town Life
Master Suite

I will have University when it comes out, plus I have a number of things from the sims store. With what I have now when I try to load my game it takes me 30 minutes! I am looking for information on what kind of computer I should get without breaking the bank. I am willing to spend around $800. All I really use my computer for is the sims and getting online. Please give me some ideas, there are just so many computers out now, I'm not sure what to get.

Comments

• Options
    DawnLBrownDawnLBrown Posts: 9,193 Member
    edited February 2013
    Hi,

This link will give you some ideas of what components a good system will have for The Sims 3.

http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:TS3_System_Requirements
  • Options
    bglissonbglisson Posts: 58 Member
    edited February 2013
  • Options
    bob007bob007 Posts: 10,062 Member
    edited February 2013
    Major vendors tend to be conservative for laptop performance. Check iBuypower . Just make sure the graphics chip can handle TS3. Good luck
    I do not work for EA nor do I have any association with EA. I am a gamer helping other gamers.
  • Options
    AndreaHope1992AndreaHope1992 Posts: 58
    edited February 2013
    i have a HP G56 Notebook laptop which cost me around £300 but i can help you with your loading problem. its not the pc thats making the game slow, its the sims 3 files. in the EA folder you probably have loads and loads of junk files.(CC doesn't help much, if you have loads)
    do everything this site says(the delete part) and then i think everything will be ok.
    if there are any more problems then come message me
    :)

the site:
    http://simsfaq.tumblr.com/post/8426085097/what-can-i-delete-and-what-is-important-to-keep-in-my
  • Options
    emmedominguezemmedominguez Posts: 15
    edited February 2013
    Don't get a Mac.
    They are wonderful computers but playing TS3 on a Mac is terribly frustrating.
  • Options
    DawnLBrownDawnLBrown Posts: 9,193 Member
    edited February 2013
    That link tells you that you can delete the contents of your dcbackup folder. That is not entirely true. Do not delete your ccmerged.package file! It contains important interactions for your store premium content.
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    edited February 2013
    i have a HP G56 Notebook laptop which cost me around £300 but i can help you with your loading problem. its not the pc thats making the game slow, its the sims 3 files. in the EA folder you probably have loads and loads of junk files.(CC doesn't help much, if you have loads)
    do everything this site says(the delete part) and then i think everything will be ok.
    if there are any more problems then come message me
    :)

the site:
    http://simsfaq.tumblr.com/post/8426085097/what-can-i-delete-and-what-is-important-to-keep-in-my
    hi AndreaHope1992,
    so i reviewed the material at your link and noticed it suggests deleting all files in the dcbackup..however this advice would break store premimiun content.

please if you continue to link can u add that folks should not delete the ccmerged file located in their dcback up or contact the poster and have them update...or perhaps use a more updated list...thanks
  • Options
    bglissonbglisson Posts: 58 Member
    edited February 2013
    Thanks for all of the info everybody.
  • Options
    bob007bob007 Posts: 10,062 Member
    edited February 2013
    The cpu in your laptop is not new technology and is clocked at 2ghz with no turbo boost. Being multi-core helps but I feel it is still under powered. The Nvidia 8XXX series are known to run hot and the 8400 may be under powered for TS3. Here's the chart I go by - chart and it shows the 8400 won't even run the base game w/o trouble. Some packs are more demanding then others and I'm guessing if your asking about a new computer you are starting to have performance issues.
    I do not work for EA nor do I have any association with EA. I am a gamer helping other gamers.