Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Ship Wrecked and Single Castaway Challenge -updated to add new challenge

tammyjo329tammyjo329 Posts: 2,747 Member
edited March 8 in Nominated Threads
I do not know if anyone has posted one of these before ... but I have been working on this challenge and creating it's rules and guidelines for some time now and decided it was time to post them here.

The challenge is more simple and not as time consuming as a 10 gen legacy, but once completed can lead into a fun 10 gen legacy if you want.

The concept is as simple as the title states ... you find yourself shipwrecked and alone on an island and must learn to survive, and eventually meet some of the locals, fall in love and marry. Then and only then you ready for free play or change into a normal legacy.

I have built an entire world just for this challenge called Felicity Isles:
http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=7021429# : it is CC free and here is a link to the CAW thread with world info http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/646136.page

Picture slide shows: http://www.thesims3.com/contentDetail.html?contentId=444520

There are several other worlds that will also work nicely ... The Manave Isles by RFlong7, BYO Topical Island by Antylinds, and Isola by Ladyemillye and Rflong7, all of which are perfect for this challenge. The only requirements are to have a tropical island with some empty lots available to build on and at least one for the Manave Tribal home, where the chief and a few of the Island villagers live.

Pre-requesites: Money means nothing - you are marooned on an island away from civilization as you know it ... you will need to learn a barter system and use island resources to survive.

Resources - resources are anything you can harvest, or pick, collect on the land such as plants, rocks, metals, fish, etc (how else are you gonna get the resources to build a tent, sleeping bag, firepit and other survival items?)

setting: seasons - easy - normal challenge use summer and spring only, no snow or hail
harder challenges try adding fall and winter with full weather
aging - easy - normal challenge turn off until all challenges are completed
harder challenges try aging on with whatever level you like
moon phase - easy - normal turn off full moon (1 cycle not full moon!)
harder challenges try turning full moon on or even to full moon only!

The rules are simple -
no cheating

when building and buying each square will cost 5 resources (sorry your money is no good)
-- example firepit takes one square so gather 5 rocks -delete them once built
example 2 - a roof made leanto is 3X3 squares and will cost 45 resources maybe bananas and flowers combination. anyway you get the picture and 5 per square keeps the rules and guidelines simple ... you can always up the amount per square if you find 5 is too easy

Plumbing - is only allowed after building a dive well -- you will need to find all 5 dive well pieces plus the remaining 75 resources to build (dive wells are 16 squares=80 resources using 5 as the mulitplier)

When moving always sell all furniture and you must start from fresh.

Challenge #1
- You wash up on an empty island beach
1) collect enough resources to build a leanto (may use roof on ground or on top of posts)
2) make a sleeping bag
3) build a firepit and dive well
4) plant a small garden
5) You will also need to build your athletic skill to at least 5.

Challenge #2 - Your on a small island but see a much larger island close by if you are strong enough you can swim there and maybe find help.
1) swim to the next island beach lot (challenge lot #2)
2) build a tent, firepit, and dive well
3) build a makeshift bathroom using only walls and half walls (no doors or windows) Roofs are allowed.
4) start fishing and level up to 5
5) find the abandoned shack near by (the only things inside are inventing and sculpting tables - skill both to lev 2 - you may keep and use anything you make!

Challenge #3
- After meeting a few of the local LLama people from the Manave Tribe befriend one then ...in edit town mode change the abandoned shack to residence, then in live mode move into the abandoned shack (there is already a dive well and firepit
1)must have one native friend
2)add a fully functional bathroom
3) build a bedroom with bed, end table and table lamp
4) meet the other castaways from the cruise ship living on Baran Banks (challenge lot 4)
5) make friends with Winford Rhinehart and move him and 2 others in with you. (the mooches found your nice home and invite themselves to move-in too!

Challenge #4 - befriend one of the remaining castaways on Baren Banks. They were deserted by the Professor Rhinehard and other 2 and you find them starving. Disgusted with the others you decide to move-in and help them out.
1) befriend and move-into Baren Banks
2) build a dive-well
3) build a fully functioning bathroom
4) build a fully functioning kitchen/dining room with sink, counter, fridge, table and chairs
5) find an attractive native sim and ask to be boy/girl friend

challenge #5 - You are in love, but before you can marry your love has asked you to build a honeymoon hut, just for the two of you,
1) move to challenge lot 5 and build your hut
2) must have dive well and firepit before building
3) must have fully functional bathroom, bedroom, and kitchen/dining room
4) to prove to your love your bravery take a sleeping bag and spend the night in the sacred burial grounds after touring the catacombs!
5)Take your love on a date to the SN hangout in the swamps nearby and propose marriage,

challenge #6 - Your fiance accepts but tells you the chief will never approve of the marriage to an outsider unless you can prove your bravery by completing the House of Tuzu Tomb.
1) Move to challeng lot 6
2) build a nice farm/ranch home for the two of you to live in
3) adopt a wild horse for your stable
4) plant a nice garden with nice or better plants
5) complete the house of tuzu tomb
6) get married and live happily every after!

These challenges are written with my new world in mind as all the lots will be in place ... if you choose a different world, you can still do this challenge .. but you will need to build the necesary lots or change the challenges to fit your world.

Post edited by EA_Solaire on

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Reserved for optional challenges you may want to add:

opening trade challenge
    :
    This challenge can be added and completed anytime after completing challenge #4

1) make friends with as many of the LLama peopple as possible (at least 4 friends) and become good friends with both Chief Manave and his wife.
    2) max 4 of the self employed skills (gardening, fishing, sculpting, inventing, painting, elixir mixing)
    3) prove to the Chief that you have mastered your craft by bringing him a gift. A gift you made from your craft of the highest quality (a perfect fish, harvestable, masterpiece etc)
    4) When the chief excepts your perfect gift he gives you permission to register at the Village Town Hall for self employment.
    5) immediately after registering your self employment you must enter the testingcheatsenabled code and set your familyfunds to 0. (don't forget to turn this cheat off when done)
    6) you will now place your colletibles for consignment at the market and/or grocery store to earn money to spend.
    7) you will no longer use the items you collected to build your home and furniture... instead you will sell them in the market and spend your newly earned simoleons to buy and build.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Reserved to add downloads for challenge ... Please share any challenge lots or sims for this challenge here and I will link to this spot.

Castaway sims:

Jessica Knight http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=6732042
    David Bennett http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=6997125#

sims with lots:

The other castaways from castaway stories.. you know the ones found on Baren Banks starving as they would not bother looking for food!
    http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=6997254

new optional challenge lots:

worlds recommended for trying:

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=7021429# Felicity Isles by me Tammyjo329
    http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=6370451 Manave Isles by RFlong7
    http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=6343245 BYO tropical island by Antielynds
    http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=5760296 Isola by Ladyemillye and Rflong7 for those who want a smaller challenge and challenge world

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Here is a picture story slide show to show my current progress on Felicity Isles

http://www.thesims3.com/contentDetail.html?contentId=444120

http://www.thesims3.com/contentDetail.html?contentId=444520
  • Options
    zefiewingszefiewings Posts: 2,649 Member
    edited February 2013
    Wow! this is very detailed! reminds me of the sims stories how it follows a flow. Very nice! Hmm...I'm playing two other legacies right now but this is more of a short story so I might give it a shot. I am in the middle of trying to write my own challenge right now so I'll need to hold off at leased a little bit...
    for now I will just read your progress!
    ff1pc0.jpg
    My Blog story with the challenge of my own design! Click and see!
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    zefiewings,

Thanks for the comments. I am hoping their will be some interests. I am reading up on how to populate my world and hope to have it in beta test next weekend and if all goes well upload it soon as well.

I posted some reserve spots where we can add challenges and lots to upload for new challenges for any and all who want to play an contribute to the challenge :D
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    bumping as I would love to hear from some more simmers.... what do you think? Sound like fun? Is anyone else interested?

• Options
    edited February 2013
    I'll start you all off with a tease of Felicity Isles now in Beta testing:

Here is David Bennett just after washing up on the small Valcano island off the coast of Felicity Island:
    screenshot_original.jpg"Width=640"

I sent him to the end of the island where he found the ruins of a destroyed cabin with well and lots of plant life he so badly needs to survive ...needless to say he got to harvesting right away ... I'll bring him back in the morning to bath in that well!
    screenshot_original.jpg"width=640"

It was getting dark by the time he got back to camp so he quickly made a leanto, sleeping bag, toilet and firepit with his gatherings of the day ... not bad for a first day! ... I am sure it will take more time to find all the well pieces needed :wink: (btw i am playing on easy settings :wink: )
    screenshot_original.jpg"width=640"
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    edited February 2013
    This is a cute challenge, tammyjo! I never played Castaways so it's all new to me. My sims are not really very good at folling "rules", though. :wink:

I downloaded your world and I will try to spend some time exploring this weekend. And let you know if I see anything amiss! :-)
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Thanks Tangie!

I set this thread up so anyone can add or suggest new or optional rules ... I am sure it is AOK if they break a few rules or even make their own ... the only rule I need to add and should never be broken is ... "to just have fun with it!"
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I have finally finished Felcity Isles with all the lots required for the challenge and the Manave Islanders:

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=7021429

Please let me know how you like the challenge. I also want to see pictures of your ship wrecked and single sim and his/her adventures in Felicity Isles!
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    sorry Liam error double posted on me.
  • Options
    SurrealSurreal Posts: 3,241 Member
    edited February 2013
    This sounds really fun. I never played Castaways but the idea is cute. I think there's an error in your math, though. If each square costs 5 resources, then a 3x3 lean-to would cost 45 resources, not 9. There are 9 squares @ 5 resources each = 45, yes?

Edit for questions:

1. After you find the 5 pieces to create the dive-well in the first challenge - in successive challenges you must build a dive well. Must you find the five pieces again? Or can you buydebug, and pay the 5 resources per square?

2. You reference Challenge lot 1, 2, etc. Are the lots labeled in the world you created? How do we know which lot is which? Obviously the first lot will have nothing on it, and I think you mentioned what was on the lots for challenges 2 and 3 - so for challenges 4 and 5 - will any empty lot do?

3. There was something else, but I don't remember what it was now. Oh wait... I remember. I'm assuming any collectible counts as a resource. So seeds, minor pets, wildflowers, etc. all count, yes? Do items found in a dumpster or at a junkyard count as collectibles? If they do, if the collectible takes up more than one square, do you get 5 "credits" per square of the collectible or does one collectible = 1 square no matter what?

I think that's it. For now. :)
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Hi sorry was out and busy all day, but I am home now and settled in front of my computer :D

to answer your questions:

1) there are lots of generic and fragment digsite spawners around each lot and up and down the beaches. so I play with needing all five pieces each time... but for an easier play the first time you can try it with buydebug after finding the first five ... but honestly I don't think you will need to :)

2) The challenge lots are numbered in the world, but you can choose any lot you want after challenge 4.

3) yes any collectible will count, any item you can click and: fish, pick, harvest, or collect in the world will count as resource material. yes to all and 5 collectible=1 square ... you can use less, but I think you will then find it too easy ... but if you find it too difficult change it up and use 3 or 4 per square ... adjust it to fit your playing style :) I personally use 5 and find it challenging but not too hard!

I would love to see screenies of your sim surviving :D

• Options
    edited February 2013
    I created Eleanor Craft for this experiment. :) Eleanor is a big city girl but she's going to give this her best shot. Eleanor was a randomly-rolled sim. I kept all her genetics except the color of her eyes.

Eleanor got busy gathering food immediately.

82f83844-914a-438a-b52d-538f0d74458a_zpscaac832c.jpg

Eleanor wondering which of her shipmates this may be.

f3280e41-e3f9-46e5-b9f0-1ab849d42d0c_zpsdb4bbf89.jpg

A few days of outdoor living and poor Eleanor is suffering from lack of sunblock.

2a08fad1-51f2-4e95-bab4-544b7fc2d265_zpsd511627d.jpg

Sunburned or not, we need resources!

d60b3fc2-26a0-487a-8620-6f1c3fc61f83_zpsc1c7f927.jpg

Eleanor is learning the joys of eating her own catch.

17bea32e-a53e-49c5-a4ac-51679be4edb2_zps73fa6c13.jpg

Almost finished with challenge 1

538d1b77-e102-4d24-b5a0-3d6b1db42a46_zpsd6e926b5.jpg

Finished and on her way to start challenge 2

2735109f-095a-48df-89c4-a9d22bf96d4b_zps1e6525d2.jpg

And can I say how much I'm enjoying your world? It's very pretty.

a2bcfc49-b0cd-4aec-bb01-583ba4b5a37d_zps0e9150a3.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Thanks Surreal!

I am so glad you are enjoying the world and my challenge :mrgreen:

Your sim is lovely and I love the torn/worn clothing, she looks like she has been very busy scrounging the islands for food and resources!

Thanks for the great pics!
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Awww thanks. I wanted her to look like she'd been through a shipwreck, so... lol

I love that there are no roads and no rabbitholes. I generally play as a gatherer anyway so this is perfect for me.

Challenge 2 today! lol
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    umm there are rabbit holes! I used the sunlit tides rabbit holes in the village area.

I wanted the Llama people to have a normal life and to continue after completing the challenge as a regular legacy .... like in free play of the castaway stories ... your sim falls in love decides to remain on the island and marry ... so with the ST rabbit holes you can do this and play a normal legacy too! :mrgreen:

but you can still play on as a gatherer too!

ETA: "the Manave Isles" does not have any rabbit holes, and does have the llama people and the challenge lots can be easily dl'd into it or build your own ... if you absolutely do not want any rabbit holes "D
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    new optional challenge added:

opening trade challenge:
    This challenge can be added and completed anytime after completing challenge #4

1) make friends with as many of the LLama peopple as possible (at least 4 friends) and become good friends with both Chief Manave and his wife.
    2) max 4 of the self employed skills (gardening, fishing, sculpting, inventing, painting, elixir mixing)
    3) prove to the Chief that you have mastered your craft by bringing him a gift. A gift you made from your craft of the highest quality (a perfect fish, harvestable, masterpiece etc)
    4) When the chief excepts your perfect gift he gives you permission to register at the Village Town Hall for self employment.
    5) immediately after registering your self employment you must enter the testingcheatsenabled code and set your familyfunds to 0. (don't forget to turn this cheat off when done)
    6) you will now place your colletibles for consignment at the market and/or grocery store to earn money to spend.
    7) you will no longer use the items you collected to build your home and furniture... instead you will sell them in the market and spend your newly earned simoleons to buy and build.
  • Options
    kisamaru2kisamaru2 Posts: 19
    edited March 2013
    This is such a great idea! You are quite creative. I just wish I could download your world but the sims 3 won't let me because I do not have Showtime. :(
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    kisamaru2 wrote:
    This is such a great idea! You are quite creative. I just wish I could download your world but the sims 3 won't let me because I do not have Showtime. :(

Thank you and I am sorry you can't download. I wish you had Showtime too! It will still be here though if you should happen to get it in the future.

I may decide to update it after IP comes out... but I will keep this version up always.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    I got Showtime and downloaded the world. :D
    The only question I have is about Village Harbor and Pier (I think that's what they're called) When I go into edit town mode and click on them, the little picture shows buildings built on them but the actual lot has none when I go there...
    Am I supposed to download the lots or something?

BTW It's a very beautiful world. :3
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    kisamaru2 wrote:
    I got Showtime and downloaded the world. :D
    The only question I have is about Village Harbor and Pier (I think that's what they're called) When I go into edit town mode and click on them, the little picture shows buildings built on them but the actual lot has none when I go there...
    Am I supposed to download the lots or something?

BTW It's a very beautiful world. :3
    Oh never mind I think that I figured it out those were rabbit holes I assume. :wink:
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    yes they are rabbit holes from Sunlit Tides! I hope you enjoy the world and the challenge. I would love to see pics of your progress on the challenge :mrgreen:
  • Options
    MichelleLynn01MichelleLynn01 Posts: 455 Member
    edited April 2013
    Hey Tammyjo! I found your challenge and thought it looked like a lot of fun. I started to play and decided to write a story to go with it. You can read my story here if you would like! I downloaded the world you made and it is incredible! I've never been good at making worlds and I'm so glad I was able to download yours. Here's a snapshot of my sim. Her name is Hope and I just love this picture of her! I wanted her to look a bit grungy like she had been through an ordeal before finally washing ashore. :)

Screenshot-11_zpsd51aaca7.jpg

(sorry about the size! I can't figure out how to make the pictures smaller, hehe :oops: )

Hope you like my story! Let me know what you think!
    CkglUD.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I love your story MichelleLynn! You have a very good beginning to what looks like to be a great story!

Thank you for sharing... I am gonna bookmark it so I can keep up with it and see how well your sim fares on Felicity Isles!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top