Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Simming and Adding Expansions Without Internet - Need Input!

In the future, I'll be going through a significant period of time without internet (do not ask why or give me suggestions for how to bum wifi, that is not what this post is about) and I decided that I might as well learn how to patch my game manually, in case I need to re-install Sims and my expansions, and want my CC to work. I don't know the finer points bout this, and research is leading me to patch downloads and some info about knowing your region and game number for your expansion, but overall the process is very mysterious and I need some advice.

I see that this site has all patches or nearly: (Edit: they can be stored on your computer until needed, that's the whole point, and what I'm looking for.)

http://www.patches-scrolls.de/sims3.php

But does something like the Superpatcher (http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/175477.page) make manually installing the incremental patches unnecessary? I've been downloading and organizing the ones for US/PC as well as the "for all regions" just in case. Maybe I don't need to? I still don't know yet how I'd manually install the patch to my game once I had it saved in my computer.

I'm curious how and why others might want to download a patch for their game and do it themselves. What are the pros and cons?
SigLav_zpsnefshzbc.jpg

Comments

• Options
    ewilson1114ewilson1114 Posts: 2,513 Member
    edited February 2013
    Yes, the Superpatcher makes downloading incremental patches unnecessary.
  • Options
    RhodalleRhodalle Posts: 52 Member
    edited February 2013
    Whew! Well that's good news...

Just making sure that I understand correctly... The Superpatcher is a compendium of up to the most recent patches that will be stored in my computer so I can patch without internet, and also regardless of what game version (expansions)I have, region I'm in or language I use?

SigLav_zpsnefshzbc.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Or does the Superpatcher not store patch data on your computer at all? Starting to think you still need internet connection to patch with it?
    SigLav_zpsnefshzbc.jpg
  • Options
    bob007bob007 Posts: 10,062 Member
    edited February 2013
    The super patch (cumulative patch) will change the next time there is a patch (to fix something or for the next pack). I am confused as you will need the internet to download the superpatch. If your games are digital downloads the drm (SecuROM) may reactivate at times. The problem with a reinstall is that there are major changes to the structure of TS3 from the initial release to what it is today:

- EADM is now Origin
    - The way the game saves games changed significantly after release.
    - the way the game patches was changed after release.

These are major changes that will change after a fresh install.

I feel very some many distributors may go to digital delivery (download) only. The next Tombraider to be released in March will be download only for the pc. And with SecuROM being the drm of choice for digital downloads I don't know what to tell you.

Good luck
    I do not work for EA nor do I have any association with EA. I am a gamer helping other gamers.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Thank you for reading and responding. :)
    *****7 wrote:
    The super patch (cumulative patch) will change the next time there is a patch (to fix something or for the next pack). I am confused as you will need the internet to download the superpatch.

When I no longer have internet, I will probably not be buying expansions, so any patches that I save on my computer will be current with the game version I have. Also, if I actually do buy another expansion, I could connect somewhere or have a friend get the new patch for me. It's not impossible or complicated. From what I hear, plenty of people do it, they simply aren't making tutorials or talking about the details.

The incremental patches are hosted on many places online. When my search "patching Sims 3 without internet" led me to the Superpatcher I had hoped it would save the patch -to my computer- (so I always have the compatible version of my super patch for up to the expansions I have today) so if I needed to uninstall and re-install up to Supernatural and Seasons, that my CC made to run with the changes from the updates would work.

Unless you are saying that a fresh install changes the way my game updates from any patches I have saved on my computer???

*****7 wrote:
    If your games are digital downloads the drm (SecuROM) may reactivate at times. The problem with a reinstall is that there are major changes to the structure of TS3 from the initial release to what it is today:

- EADM is now Origin
    - The way the game saves games changed significantly after release.
    - the way the game patches was changed after release.

These are major changes that will change after a fresh install.

Good luck

What I was asking before:

1. Is there a version of the current Superpatch that can be saved on my computer, like they do with incremental patches? The Superpatcher works with any game version anyway, doesn't it?

2. If installing the incremental patches which are saved to my computer: If it is for my computer type (PC), region (US), and game version, shouldn't it work once I've re-installed the game up to current expansions?

3. How do I properly apply a patch that I saved to my computer? If it can't be done with the launcher, that's ok, because there are fan-made programs that install patches and such, without it, but I haven't seen any tutorials on how to use them.

It seems that others out there know how to patch manually, and I want to learn how! I'd really really be grateful for someone who knows what I'm talking about to answer the two questions above. :) Because this is a mysterious topic.

I buy all the expansions that come out on disk, I'm a good customer to EA, and I feel there should be a way to enjoy my patched game during periods which I don't have internet.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    SigLav_zpsnefshzbc.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I might be getting a super patch and the Superpatcher mixed up now, lol. Can someone clarify this for me: The Superpatcher updates your game no matter what expansion, region straight from the internet. While a super-patch can be downloaded and saved on your computer, and installed with third party software that bypasses the launcher if you want, but... is it game version specific? I see that some sites do have super patches for download that are for all regions. I assume a super-patch has all the patches from base game? Is this correct?
    SigLav_zpsnefshzbc.jpg
  • Options
    bob007bob007 Posts: 10,062 Member
    edited February 2013
    The Sims 3 is a complicated game and it got more complicated when EA decided to make major changes in the structure of the game after the release version. With WA the game changed to structure of the save games from the way it saved games from the base game release. With Gen (I think) EA change the way the game patches from individual patches to patching through the base game. So you see this isn't a typical graphical game that was released and has patches to correct bugs. Not only do the patches fix the game but also change the structure of the game and this makes it extremely difficult to say what will work and what won't.

Let me put it like this - Your in school and there is a test today. Someone in the 2nd hour class passes a copy of the test to someone in the third hour class. But the teacher gives a different test to the third hour class. TS3 is like that. There doesn't seem to be any hard and fast rules for TS3.
    I do not work for EA nor do I have any association with EA. I am a gamer helping other gamers.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    *****7 wrote:
    The Sims 3 is a complicated game and it got more complicated when EA decided to make major changes in the structure of the game after the release version. With WA the game changed to structure of the save games from the way it saved games from the base game release. With Gen (I think) EA change the way the game patches from individual patches to patching through the base game. So you see this isn't a typical graphical game that was released and has patches to correct bugs. Not only do the patches fix the game but also change the structure of the game and this makes it extremely difficult to say what will work and what won't.

Let me put it like this - Your in school and there is a test today. Someone in the 2nd hour class passes a copy of the test to someone in the third hour class. But the teacher gives a different test to the third hour class. TS3 is like that. There doesn't seem to be any hard and fast rules for TS3.

There's no denying that Sims 3 is complicated. No modder would disagree, and I get the basis of your point. Clearly there's a way to determine what you need and patch without the launcher though, since there's people doing it. But the instructions get a little vague and the info is spread out, so I'm waiting for someone who has experience with this specifically... patching manually from downloaded and saved versions of the patch on their computer to give me some more detailed steps. I'd rather not chat about how hard it is, because thanks to fan-made installers and sites like this: http://www.patches-scrolls.de/sims3.php# it's only a matter of doing the reading, being organized and asking people with answers... and of course, having the patches saved in your computer. I really appreciate that you are trying to explain things as you understand them, but if you don't know how to answer my questions so I can move forward in my own research, then please let someone else do so, so my questions aren't lost in the noise.

EDIT: Oh, and yes, I haven't been Simming for a while, but I recall they switched the EADM to Origin... not a more palatable method in my opinion. Still doesn't help me when I have no nets... :/

At this point, is there anyone who can tell me:

1. Am I correct then, in saying that the Superpatcher, (doesn't matter what game version or region you are) identifies vital information and patches your game from online, and saves no file with the patch on your computer before putting it right into your game?

2. Yes, no: a "super patch" online like this: http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2013/01/patch-1-48.html (Scroll down to where it says "super patch")also fully patches from base game to 1.48, and it doesn't matter if, say, you don't have Seasons? Or is that only in reference to the Superpatcher, and you have to have the latest expansion pack for this super patch to work? If a "cumulative" download a 1.48.5 super patch that will fully update from base-game to the super patch current level? Example: http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/sims3/patch/47836.html

3. Delphy’s Sims3Pack Multi-Extracter... I've heard mention of it in reference to manual patching, without the annoying launcher... does anyone do this??? Is it necessary, then, to install incremental and/or the super patch?

4. I also hear mention of a crack on this subject matter. I'm not really interested in "cracking" or breaking or doing anything illegal to anything, but is it the only way to update and play offline? That would be crummy and not beneficial to EA...

If no one can help, I'll do my best to post links and what I find here for others who need to patch and play without internet.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    SigLav_zpsnefshzbc.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Yeah, I guess this is just not the kind of topic for the Sims 3 forum... At first I assumed it was no biggie, but I guess It would be wise to continue my searching and leave this thread be before I end up whacked because of some conspiracy... LOL.
    SigLav_zpsnefshzbc.jpg
  • Options
    applefeather2applefeather2 Posts: 4,003 Member
    edited February 2013

2. Yes, no: a "super patch" online like this: http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2013/01/patch-1-48.html (Scroll down to where it says "super patch")also fully patches from base game to 1.48, and it doesn't matter if, say, you don't have Seasons?
    From your point 2, this is what you need. It doesn't matter if you have Seasons or not. When in doubt, listen to Crinrict. :)
  • Options
    JesamineRJesamineR Posts: 65 Member
    edited February 2013
    don't worry too much, Inever play the game whilst connected to the internet. I find the game works better, and although I do download patches I've never had any of the issues that some people have had with their game. Perhaps it's because I'm not connected to internet and I find the less background programmes that are running the better the game
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    2. Yes, no: a "super patch" online like this: http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2013/01/patch-1-48.html (Scroll down to where it says "super patch")also fully patches from base game to 1.48, and it doesn't matter if, say, you don't have Seasons?
    From your point 2, this is what you need. It doesn't matter if you have Seasons or not. When in doubt, listen to Crinrict. :)

Thanks! I just needed confirmation because I don't trust myself to make ANY assumptions about this stuff. There are a few things that are left to be presumed because they are pretty obvious, but I'm not a techie so I still ask. ^^ Thanks again!

JesamineR wrote:
    don't worry too much, Inever play the game whilst connected to the internet. I find the game works better, and although I do download patches I've never had any of the issues that some people have had with their game. Perhaps it's because I'm not connected to internet and I find the less background programmes that are running the better the game

Very much agreed. Not only for the background noise factor, but I made a habit of switching off the internet on my computer before starting Sims so I wouldn't accidentally download the next update before I was ready. (As you know, with CC, updates are a big production, you have to empty your mods folder and back up your game first, then hunt down new versions of all the CC that borked.) Once I get everything set up, I save all that hassle for when I buy the new hot expansion. ;)

Patching once I have no internet at all will be the tricky part, lol. So have either of you, applefeather2, and JesamineR, installed one of these manual patches, like from Crinrict's site when you didn't have internet?

I guess that's my very last question. :) How it's done. Should be able to find the answer somewhere. Thanks, now I know this patch should work, and I don't need to do all the incrementals... it -should- patch my game from base to 1.48.5 in one go?
    SigLav_zpsnefshzbc.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Problem MEGA solved!!! Check out what I was told over on MTS Help: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?p=4069229&posted=1#post4069229
    SigLav_zpsnefshzbc.jpg