Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Simkyoto, Japan - Update first post (4/26) Lots o' lots.

Comments

• Options
    saint_gambisaint_gambi Posts: 286 Member
    edited February 2013
    I have a question! If you don't mind answering for me, anyone!

Does the Plank Bridge as seen here...
    cabotsreachbridgejettie.jpg
    connect to roads at all?
    Um not sure but that looks like a pier to me.

Your world looks amazing by the way. :)
  • Options
    OilbasedoleanderOilbasedoleander Posts: 2,967 Member
    edited February 2013
    Thank you saint! :] It is listed as a 'bridge' though. And I have seen it used as a bridge as well. Just curious if it works!
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    So I got Edit in Game option to work *sigh* when it wants to I guess, and I got to take a couple pic updates on how it's turning out. Again, I'm working on building the lots LAST :] For reasons I've stated before. Here ya go...

Screenshot-165_zps66e7d260.jpg

Screenshot-166_zps1182fe6e.jpg

Screenshot-167_zpse652f60f.jpg

Screenshot-168_zpse62cbb34.jpg

Screenshot-169_zps6392fbfe.jpg

Screenshot-171_zpsa7e8a422.jpg

Screenshot-172_zps542298db.jpg

Screenshot-175_zpsbd270d37.jpg

Screenshot-176_zps294dd976.jpg

That's all so far! Thanks for peeking! :D
  • Options
    niac1234niac1234 Posts: 6,735 Member
    edited February 2013
    **dies** This is so beautiful. I'm so looking foreward to this. If you need any lots at all, I am of service. I also have 3 japanese lots in my studio, here are the links.

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=5143298
    http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=5219708
    http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=4575047

No CC in any of them. :D
  • Options
    Zach_BundyZach_Bundy Posts: 1,297 Member
    edited February 2013
    Hi, I was wondering about how you plan to do the rice paddies with water at different elevations.

Do you plant to put lots on top of them and make ponds?

Or will you use the fake rivers from World Adventures?
  • Options
    itsaprilXDitsaprilXD Posts: 642 Member
    edited February 2013
    I can definitely see myself playing in this world when you're done!
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Thank you Niac!! I have rec'd all three lots and downloaded your Palace, that is one gorgeous build!
    I will be building all the lots personally, due to my game restrictions of what content will be in it. And I am first and foremost, a builder! I've been building lots since I first bought the Sims 3, and though I have not built Japanese architecture, it's a challenge I'm willing to take! :] But if I ever get flustered and need help you're definitely a go-to artist! Thank you! <3 *hugs*

Hello again Zach! I have yet to figure that out... I was thinking individual lots, but that would get complicated, and even though they would be 'no visitors allowed' I still see sims go to these lots :/ I don't want routing issues.
    I didn't even know they had fake rivers? Would they look silly though? I'd like your opinion on it, if you don't mind. Because I find those fields stunning and I want them part of it :] Thank you!!

Hey April! Thank you! Just keep your fingers crossed for no issues in the future and hopefully I can upload it for everyone to enjoy :]
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Hi!

Well there are pros and cons to the rivers.

The only positive is that it looks like water wherever you want it.

There are more negatives than positives though. First, they're meant to be rivers, so they look like fast moving water as opposed to a placid rice paddy. Second, you would have to reshape your surrounding terrain in unsightly ways to accommodate for them. Third, they're a nightmare for routing and they make areas completely inaccessible for Sims even if the water parts are hidden under your terrain.

After I posted on your thread, I actually thought of another way. You could make a terrain paint of a rice paddy and then give it the "knee-deep water" sound. If you don't want your Sims to walk into that terrain paint, then gently use the "Sims non routable" paint. If you do that, then the camera can still hover over the paddy.

The only drawbacks to this idea are:

1) You would have to spend a fair amount of time trying to make a rice paddy terrain paint. Maybe you could find someone to do it for you.

2) It wouldn't have the same reflective surface qualities as water, which would be ideal.

I'm pretty familiar with paddies in real life since I went to Thailand a while ago. Some loose long metadata grass would fit into them pretty well I think.
  • Options
    WibbleLikeAJellyWibbleLikeAJelly Posts: 2,410 Member
    edited February 2013
    Oiled, this is so amazing, I seriously can't wait to play it!

--Wibble :)
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Ah! Thank you Zach for your input I'll just have to work something out and play around with it until I find what looks good :)

And thank you wibbles :D you're so sweet I want to play it just as much as you do!

Unfortunately my computer has been blue screening :( not good. Ill be doing back up files for my work and hope for the best. Wish me luck!! Silly computer...
  • Options
    AthenaiaAthenaia Posts: 41
    edited February 2013
    Absolutely amazing!
    Cant't wait !! :)
    I love a Geisha movie, so... can't wait.. :D
  • Options
    AutumnLoveStoryAutumnLoveStory Posts: 101 New Member
    edited February 2013
    Your world looks amazing so far.
    Definitely bookmark'ed.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Thank you Athenaia, I was inspired mostly from the movie Memoirs of a Geisha ;D Really happy you picked up on that. I'll hopefully have another update in a couple days~

Thanks Autumn! Glad you like how it's coming along :D
  • Options
    RoboPanda1995RoboPanda1995 Posts: 15
    edited February 2013
    This is so beautiful! :D
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Ah! Thank you very much RoboPanda :] For your wonderful compliment!
  • Options
    PixieStixPixieStix Posts: 1,956 Member
    edited February 2013
    I love the idea behind this world, and when I saw what you had done all I could think was WOW! It looks gorgeous so far, I especially love the river and the canals you have decorated them so beautifully.

Your landscaping and terrain paint looks amazing it really gives rich that lush feeling to the land and I love the snowy peaks of the mountains.

I have never been to Japan myself but your world looks exactly how I would expect traditional 1930s/40s Japan to look :D

Great job, I look forward to seeing future progress.

Happy Simming!

Bookmarked!
    LadySmitanbanner_zps7eszqcmq.jpg
    YouTube:Lady Smitan Twitter:@LadySmitan Gallery:LadySmitan
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Thank you so much Pixie, I appreciate your lovely compliments, makes me so happy to hear it :D<3

Here's a slight update on the beach, I'm still terrain painting, so don't mind some of the blah looking rocks. :]
    Screenshot-180_zpsa080ed4f.jpg
    Screenshot-182_zps98890d95.jpg
    Screenshot-183_zps353cd369.jpg
    Screenshot-184_zpsb2614306.jpg
    Screenshot-185_zpsff7179c5.jpg
    Screenshot-186_zps76247154.jpg
    Screenshot-187_zps04d32a14.jpg

Thanks for peaking!
  • Options
    PurpleKachinaPurpleKachina Posts: 4,159 Member
    edited February 2013
    I am so excited about this :] I have always been very interested in Japan for so many reasons (the culture, fashion, music etc) and this looks absolutely beautiful Oil! Keep up the fantastic work ^__^ I am your number one fan ;) lol!
  • Options
    SinkalaSinkala Posts: 475 Member
    edited February 2013
    This is stunning. The area around the dragon cave is is absolutely beautiful. Can't wait to see more
  • Options
    danivixendanivixen Posts: 4,254 New Member
    edited February 2013
    Can't wait to see how this pans out! :)!
  • Options
    berres88berres88 Posts: 61 New Member
    edited February 2013
    This is looking beautiful! Love the landscaping :D
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I agree, I've always loved Japan Manssom, even through out as it grows with technology I still find their culture amazing, and I'm YOUR number 1 fan! Don't you forget it <3 Haha *hugs* Thank you hun!

Thank you so much Sinkala, danivixen, and berres88, for stopping in and for the lovely compliments and support :]

The world is coming along slowly, finding time to do anything is tough but hopefully there will be updates soon. I'm completely done with sculpting, except for corrections here and there. And hopefully I'll begin constructing the architecture! :D<3

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Time for a pic update?
    Oh sure why not!...

Lavender fields!...
    Screenshot-193_zps613144b8.jpg
    Screenshot-200_zpsf72fb417.jpg
    Screenshot-202_zps6fb268cf.jpg
    Screenshot-201_zps1274bae9.jpg

Mountains and such!...
    Screenshot-196_zps9f3da7c3.jpg
    Screenshot-198_zpsd6c72c6e.jpg
    Screenshot-195_zps141bcf62.jpg
    Screenshot-199_zps39137b76.jpg

The world overall!...
    Screenshot-205_zps02f63b9d.jpg
    Screenshot-206_zpsc380aff4.jpg
    Screenshot-207_zps9b4f0072.jpg
    Screenshot-208_zps8fe26ef7.jpg

There ya have it. :]
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I love the farm framing! I know a lot of indigo comes from Japan, so maybe we can pretend it's that :)

I also noticed that you changed the name of the thread. How did you do that? I can't figure it out haha
  • Options
    PurpleKachinaPurpleKachina Posts: 4,159 Member
    edited February 2013
    Wow, great work with those mountains Oil! The landscaping is stunning ^__^ More, MORE!! :D