Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

So what are you hoping for with mermaids?

Since mermaids in IP is pretty much a given and most, if not everyone, is really excited for them, how are you hoping they'll be handled?

Do you want to be able to make them in CAS, for example?
How about change their tail, like changing the fairy wings? Maybe even some Ursula tentacles? (I would love that btw)
Abilities? Special needs? (Not in that way :lol: )
Do they turn into normal Sims when on land?

Comments

• Options
    PsychYourMind08PsychYourMind08 Posts: 3,464 Member
    edited January 2013
    Where is it said we'll be getting mermaids?
  • Options
    Sam_Is_GreatSam_Is_Great Posts: 2,189 Member
    edited January 2013
    It's more of an assumption, but it was heavily hinted at in the live chat, and throughout Seasons, (all the mermaid items/clothing), so they know how much the community wants them.
  • Options
    anettesbanettesb Posts: 39,168 Member
    edited January 2013
    well if we get them... I don't think it is a given... I do think it is very likely.

hmm..

make in cas, I hope so
    change tail color, oh yes please.

Maybe a 100% mermaid can't go on land...
    but a child of a mermaid can ... and on land have legs!
    special ability breat under wather
    sumon fish
    needs to get into wather atleast 1 time a day.... and can't use a shower (as they grow tail when in wather) so they have to use a tub....
    some wather power so they can stop fire....
    🌺 streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/lady_anette 🌻come join the Sylvan legacy, and help control their life. 🌳
  • Options
    GREENEYAGREENEYA Posts: 7,796 Member
    edited January 2013
    Where is it said we'll be getting mermaids?

It is not said. But Island Paradise is Island Time expansion from survey. And in survey, mermaids are occults of that expansion.

So it is high possibility that we will get them in Island Paradise if EA will stick with survey. :wink:

Plus many people want them, and we have huge amount of hints in different TS3 expansion for them. And this expansion is really right place for them. :wink:
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    anettesb wrote:
    well if we get them... I don't think it is a given... I do think it is very likely.

hmm..

make in cas, I hope so

sumon fish
    needs to get into wather atleast 1 time a day.... and can't use a shower (as they grow tail when in wather) so they have to use a tub....

I like your ideas. But maybe they can use the shower, but they just fall out when they get water on them?

And if 100% mermaids can't get legs... :? :oops:...How do they Woohoo? :oops:
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    edited January 2013
    Everything is speculation until it get announced. I would have never guessed unicorns for the Pets EP. You never know EA might do a complete 180 and it will be the creature from the black lagoon.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    EvezanEvezan Posts: 773
    edited January 2013
    What I am hoping for with mermaids is that they would just say we will get them so people will stop asking for them lol.

Seriously though. I hope they make more "dangerous" creatures. Mummies were scary to encounter at first in WA. Vampires give normal sims a negative moodlet. We need more lifestates the scare the pants off of normal sims. Zombies were a step in the right direction but they have way too much of an annoyance factor. So I hope they make mermaids a little more diabolical. Something your sim should not really want to encounter when they go scuba-diving.
  • Options
    SupahSilvSupahSilv Posts: 72 New Member
    edited January 2013
    Evezan wrote:
    What I am hoping for with mermaids is that they would just say we will get them so people will stop asking for them lol.

Seriously though. I hope they make more "dangerous" creatures. Mummies were scary to encounter at first in WA. Vampires give normal sims a negative moodlet. We need more lifestates the scare the pants off of normal sims. Zombies were a step in the right direction but they have way too much of an annoyance factor. So I hope they make mermaids a little more diabolical. Something your sim should not really want to encounter when they go scuba-diving.

Perhaps the mermaids could be armed with a trident which could be used to ward off scuba-divers? I dunno. I'd really like to see mermaids, but because they're limited to the water we'd probably have to have underwater houses (right?) or something similar. It'd be extremely difficult to create a house... considering the ocean is incredibly slope-y.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    anettesb wrote:

hmm..

make in cas, I hope so

sumon fish

I like your ideas. But maybe they can use the shower, but they just fall out when they get water on them?

yea... like the falling... same in rain.. they have to stay out of rain..

they wohoo in the ocean... so you have to do it when diveing...
    🌺 streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/lady_anette 🌻come join the Sylvan legacy, and help control their life. 🌳
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Evezan wrote:

THey could mix it with Siren's they would lure sailors to them... and sailors would drown...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siren

what ever they do I just wish to be able to awoid them when I want to...
  • Options
    lizbethbearlizbethbear Posts: 3,201 Member
    edited January 2013
    anettesb wrote:
    anettesb wrote:

hmm..

make in cas, I hope so

sumon fish

I'm sorry but that's just twisted and gross. That's basically woohooing with a fish at that point. I think all mermaids should be able to have legs when they are on land, otherwise if you have to woohoo in the ocean with a fishtail to get half mermaid kids, I won't want to play them. Just the thought of such behavior makes me want to throw up.
    WznfzGr.gif
  • Options
    lizbethbearlizbethbear Posts: 3,201 Member
    edited January 2013
    anettesb wrote:
    Evezan wrote:

THey could mix it with Siren's they would lure sailors to them... and sailors would drown...

what ever they do I just wish to be able to awoid them when I want to...

Like the kinda scary mermaids from the last pirates movie?
    WznfzGr.gif
  • Options
    TheFairyBugTheFairyBug Posts: 2,925 New Member
    edited January 2013
    anettesb wrote:
    Good heavens, I hope not! It sounds fun in theory, but it would be an extraordinarily clumsy integration into the game. I hope the mermaids are a bit more like the ones in Splash or Aquamarine. I also hope that, like fairy wings and the second form of werewolves, they are fully customizable in CAS.
  • Options
    michellehilbrandmichellehilbrand Posts: 2,331 Member
    edited January 2013
    My thoughts is that we will encounter them in the ocean and be able to friend them. After having a good enough relationship, we will be able to ask them to move in. I would think they would have legs on land and have a tail in the water. Or once they move in, they lose their tail forever or until they decide to return to the wild. I think they would get a special moodlet for taking a bath or for swimming.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    anettesb wrote:
    Evezan wrote:

I fear purposefully drowning Sims might be a tad too dark. Maybe their siren song just drains their targets needs as well as summoning them, and if they are already low enough, indirectly causing them to drown. Like how witches can't directly cook their enemies, but they can burn them to death by setting fire to the ground around them.
  • Options
    GREENEYAGREENEYA Posts: 7,796 Member
    edited January 2013
    I would love them to be like this.

1. Mermaids can have two forms like werewolfs or fairies for example.

Mermaid form in water, or ocean and legs on land ( maybe different skintone, with scales on the skin ).

Underwather world can be just a rabbit hole ( like space in Seasons for aliens ).

2. Mermaids have the ability to enchant sims by singing.

3. Mermaids can magically control the element of water ( Create magical water waves, magically raise water to the air, magically heat the water, magically freeze water, create magical bubbles of water ect.. )

4. They have special connection to sea life..
    The possibilities are endless.....

This can be managed in a similar way as mermaids in the popular TV show ''H20 Just Add Water'' :wink:

http://youtu.be/m0mc_mYNuzo
    http://youtu.be/4NLawzqcVWI

Freezing powers
    http://youtu.be/2sY5KUaimlE

Other powers
    http://youtu.be/z0g6q_uRnrM

Mermaid transformation
    http://youtu.be/EA_QGTYIhAI

I hope that we will get them, and that they wiill bi similar to mermaids in ( mermaid ) tv show ''H20 just add water''. :D

They would be my favorite creatures in the sims, and great tool to make great new stories in TS3. :D

38345438.jpg
    friendsh2ojustaddwater3.jpg
    h2ojustaddwaterh2ojustaq.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    anettesb wrote:
    anettesb wrote:

hmm..

make in cas, I hope so

sumon fish

I'm sorry but that's just twisted and gross. That's basically woohooing with a fish at that point. I think all mermaids should be able to have legs when they are on land, otherwise if you have to woohoo in the ocean with a fishtail to get half mermaid kids, I won't want to play them. Just the thought of such behavior makes me want to throw up.

can't see why...
    it dosn't need to be wohoo to get babies... could be partly magic... plant sims could just shake their heads...

what if it is a special underwather kiss... and then a few days later a seashel with a pearl is on the shore that you need to go colect.... and when you open it inside is a baby... becous she can't keep the baby with legs in the ocean.
  • Options
    beastcam1beastcam1 Posts: 952 Member
    edited January 2013

I had the same kind of questions. I've known that the community has been requesting the mermaid life state for quite a long time, but I really don't know (at least the way things are in The Sims right now) how EA would be able to pull it off.
    Nearly all functions performed by sims happen on dry land (aside from swimming and lounging.) Therefore, to play a mermaid sim, it would probably have to happen under water. It is rumored that the Island Adventure expansion will feature life under water (human sims with scuba diving, and mermaid sims swimming.)

It's not that the idea of mermaids doesn't excite me, because I love new and different types of gameplay, but I'm not very interested in the idea. I prefer my sims to be and live on land (other than the new boats included in Island Adventures, of course!)

All I can see the mermaids doing is swimming around, perhaps having some sort of super power; maybe transforming into their fish-tail-state (if you will) when they shower or swim on land, but I don't really see how any of those suggestions bring significantly new gameplay.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see :P

11214097_1612418725701927_822627218776693780_n.jpg?oh=127705e00ae1fd059d1e5266630299b5&oe=5619A988
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    anettesb wrote:
    Evezan wrote:

I fear purposefully drowning Sims might be a tad too dark. Maybe their siren song just drains their targets needs as well as summoning them, and if they are already low enough, indirectly causing them to drown. Like how witches can't directly cook their enemies, but they can burn them to death by setting fire to the ground around them.

yea they would need to twist it like that....
    or a marmaid could get people to do things for them by singing
    better chance when your mermaid skill was high... and the "victems" needs is low....
    A little like mindreading and think of me actions with vampires...
    for fun a mermaid could give others the soaked moodlet....
  • Options
    RamsbeeRamsbee Posts: 115
    edited January 2013
    Idk how a mermaid would work in the game unless they specially designed an underwater world, i mean having one would be neat maybe having them swim on land just like, swimming midair in a bubble full of water or something ? Idk maybe itll be something that you can only befriend in the water and visit maybe? Who knows! :}
  • Options
    blewis823blewis823 Posts: 9,046 Member
    edited January 2013
    That is another life state I will avoid. Hope they can be modded out my game. Ugh.

So, it's true the game will have mermaids?
    Nothing to see. I don't even care about the forums.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    not for sure.... but it seems it be them...

I can fantasis of the lifestages... but mostly atempt to ignor them... it just not the way I play...

I hope we can disabel them just like the vampires ect.
  • Options
    BlyssciaBlysscia Posts: 3,771 Member
    edited January 2013
    I'd like there to be some sort of challenge for a mermaid getting legs/being on land.

There could be a permanent transformation potion, lifetime reward, or some kind of irreversible "forsake merform" interaction.

And then there could be short term potions (Made with the SN alchemy station, GEN lab table, the UNI lab station, or something new).
    Depending on the skill of the sim making the potion, the transformation could last between 4 sim hours and a sim week.
    The potion could either be rebooted by returning to the water at a crucial point or require another potion to regain the form.

I'd like the mermaid to be able to be created in CAS.
    Mostly because I'm lazy and still have not gotten to have a unicorn in my household. :lol:

Tentacle and other tail options sound great.
    Evil and nice/beautiful mermaid features also sound great. ^^
  • Options
    creatorZcreatorZ Posts: 92
    edited January 2013
    Actually i bet they turn out to be more like the Genie, where initially you have to find one and befriend it, then do a series of challenges or steps to "free it" from its underwater prison.

(I mean isnt that how most mermaid stories go in fiction? They want to experience dry land so bad.)

After you complete the steps there is that camera zoom in que sparkle turn around and the mermaid has legs now.

Obviously she would have residual powers and traits that would be with her as she continued her life on land.
    example:
    a need bar for time spent in water
    fav food is seafood
    ability to drown fires
    super fast swimming/ athletic skill rate doubled while swimming
    moods elevate when she bathes/swims
    other random interactions

And similar to a Genie a small percentage of these abilities would be passed down to her children.

This seems the most logical to me, and if they did let you create them in CAS then it would be the "after" transformation version, like the Genies are now.
  • Options
    edited January 2013

creatorZ

Actuially the mermaids in dnaish folklore... do not want to be on land... not permanent.
    They will go on land and take of their skin.
    (they supose to look a little like seals)
    but just to sunbath.
    And if you take their skin you tie them to you, but if they ever get their skin back they be gone in the ocean for ever... and as long as they on land they will long for the ocean.
    You can't destroy their skin... or they die.

The only Mermaid I know that wants to be on land is the little mermaid....