Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Spiral stair placement question

Hi everyone,
I love using spiral stairs in my houses because they take up little space.
Ever since I patched my game/installed Seasons I'm not able to place them near a wall. Only if it's one square away from a wall on every side.
This is very annoying and I was wondering if anyone has the same problem or if someone knows a solution?
I tried MOO which didn't work. It also doesn't give me some kind of sentence why it won't be placed. I mean it doesn't say 'can't be placed inside a wall' or something similar. Sorry if the translation is of for the sentence I play a Dutch game so don't know what is used in English games :D

Any help is appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    okido1987okido1987 Posts: 1,898 Member
    edited November 2012
    Anyone?
  • Options
    KLoreleiKLorelei Posts: 7,606 Member
    edited November 2012
    The placement of spiral stairs got borked back when Pets came out. It's a bit irritating that they now need more space around them or they become unusable (sims get stuck and won't go down them if the game reads them as "blocked"). You should be able to rotate the stairs however, as there is a side that can still be against a wall, you'll just need the other three sides open at least one square (more for the walkway part obviously) for placement to work.

It's not the best view, but I have a couple of pics of the build I'm currently working on that show the spiral stairs against the wall. Hopefully this gives you a hint as to how to rotate the stairs so they'll function properly.

DMlanding1.jpg

DMconservatory1.jpg

If you're still having issues, you may want to double check the levels above and below where you're trying to place the stairs. Sometimes it's something above that's interferring with the stair placement. Good luck! I know these types of issues can be super irritating.
  • Options
    SIMplifiedSIMplified Posts: 4,536 Member
    edited November 2012
    I have the same issue so I just gave up and stick them where they'll go. I'll try that solution though
  • Options
    okido1987okido1987 Posts: 1,898 Member
    edited November 2012
    It doesn't work for me :(
    And even when there's nothing on the upper level it still won't let me place it and it doesn't give an error..... This is just very frustrating.....
  • Options
    eatinglikeasim3012eatinglikeasim3012 Posts: 484 New Member
    edited November 2012
    i have the same problem with regular stairs...dont know about the spiral...really annoying
  • Options
    yanti68yanti68 Posts: 19,017 Member
    edited November 2012
    Well I placed a spiral staircase in my recent build and it worked. I think it was not in the side of the wall though. It was somewhere in the middle of the room.
  • Options
    TRajahTRajah Posts: 2,403 Member
    edited November 2012
    Are you trying to place it next to a single wall, or fully surrounded by walls like in a tower?

Does it happen with every spiral staircase?

Are there any lights or small wall objects in the way? Windows? Doors?

Stairs hate me, too, but I just placed a set next to a wall without an issue. Granted, I haven't tried walking up and down the stairs yet.....
  • Options
    biglil711biglil711 Posts: 162 Member
    edited December 2013
    I can't even find spiral stairs, where are they? Am sure I used to use them!