Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

MV's Ultimate Guide to Cutting Out Sims: Post away!

In the past I made a thread that had instructions on how I cut out sims. However I learned a new way so I made a video, then once again I learned another new way! So I decided to compile all of the versions and put them in to one thread. So if one way confuses you you can just try one of the other ways. To do most of these it would probably be good to have a general understanding of Gimp. However if you don't its fine, just ask questions and I wil be more than happy to answer. :D

Links(Or scroll down)

Cutting Out Sims Version 3.0
Cutting Out Sims Version 2.0
Cutting Out Sims Version 1.0

More info and stuff will be added as I think of it.

Comments

• Options
    mvandemvande Posts: 8,587 Member
    edited October 2012
    Cutting Out Sims Version 3.0

Step One: The Easy Step

startingimage.png"width=640"

So for this step you just need to open up your image in Gimp. I'm hoping you all know how to do this.

Step Two: Alpha Channel

If you right click on the image in the layer bar this menu should pop-up...

step3.png

If the section that says "Add Alpha Channel" is not highlighted click on it. If it is then don't worry about it.

Step Three: An Old School Step

This is an old school step that is used in almost all cutting out sims tuts. Click on the "Select by color tool".

step2.png

Then click on the background, if nothing on your sim is highlighted click the delete key on your keyboard. It will not be perfectly cut out and should look something like this...

step4.png"width=640"

Step Four: Where it Gets Different

First select the lasso select tool. It looks like this...

step5.png

Once that is selected I suggest zooming in about 200%. However it is different depending on the image you have.

Did you know that?

In the bottom left hand corner of the photo editing window there is a bar that has a percent on it. If you click on it something like this pops-up...

step6.png

That changes how zoomed in/out you are.

Now you know!

Step Five: Using the Lasso Select Tool

Use the lasso select tool to select the extra "stuff" that was left on your sim. In my opinion its easier to select section, by section and then delete it. I select small sections like this...

step7.png"width=640"

However if you decided to select the entire sim and were to hit delete you would end up deleting him/her. To just delete whats outside on the sim you would have to go to the colors bar at the top and invert the picture. If you want more info on that feel free to ask me

Before selecting and deleting and after
    step9.png"width=320"step8.png"width=320"

Hair!

One reason I like using this method is because you can cut out hair more precisely. Instead of just having to chop off all of those flyaway strands you can cut them out individually.

Here is the hair on the picture I did.

The selection I made:
    step11.png"width=640"

How it looked after I deleted that section:
    step12.png"width=640"

Now if I just get out the other white sections it will look a lot nicer because I didn't hack away as much of her hair as I would if I would have just used the erase method.

Finished Product

So this is how my image looked when it was finished. I didn't put it on another background, but I may at a later date.

finished.png"width=640"

Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Cutting Out Sims Version 2.0

So this is that time where I made a video. You can find the video here. I made it upon request and as far as videos go I think its a pretty good one. Of course though I made it so I think it would be good. ;-)

If you have any questions about the video feel free to ask.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Cutting Out Sims Version 1.0

Now this was my original tutorial and its not one of my favorites. However some people might find it useful. This is copied and pasted from the original thread which you can find here.

step1.png

step2.png

step3.png"width=640"

step4.png

step5.png"width=640"

step7.png"width=640"

step9.png"width=640"

step11.png

step12.png

step13.png

step14.png

step15.png

step16.png"width=640"

step17.png

step18.png"width=640"
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    In Case there is a version 4.0
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Reserved in case I have some ramblings I want to add.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Ok, you can post after this...
  • Options
    simsgal2227simsgal2227 Posts: 12,279 Member
    edited October 2012
    Yay, you posted it mv! I will have to use this for sure, of course! I want to take a pic of my sim sitting in clouds... Or something :P.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I said I would, I'm sorry it took so long though. :oops:

Anyways, I can't wait to see what yo do. ;-)

-MV
    Someone's Lil' Monster