Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sexism toward pregnant sims

Comments

• Options
    SnackySnacky Posts: 607 New Member
    edited August 2009
    ONE MORE FOR THE ROAD!

In every line of work, there is usually a dress code for both men and women, both having to follow their dress code. IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO DRESS THAT WAY, DON'T TAKE THE FRIGGIN JOB, IT IS THAT SIMPLE!
  • Options
    mynameisjimbobmynameisjimbob Posts: 911 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Snacky wrote:
    Birdhive wrote:
    I am a feminist. It's not bad to be a feminist at all, and no woman should be ashamed to call herself one.

Things are sexist when they apply principles of inequality based on whether or not one is a male or a female. In real life, a male can take paternity leave, so it is sexist that a male cannot take paternity leave in the game. The corollary is also true: it is sexist that female sims then become the sim required to take parental leave. This is not an inflammatory statement; it's pretty clear-cut.

The maid outfit for female sims is indeed sexist. I think the male maids should wear short shorts in order to balance this inequity. Failing that, the female maids should wear a pants/button down combo as well. Another possibility would be to lower the skirt length of the female maid outfit.

To those people who insist that the sims is a game, a place for fantasy, and that the OP should deal and get over it I counter: why can the sims game not become the fantasy feminist paradise, where all are treated equally? It's as valid a gameplay strategy as any other.
    _ _
    °_°

Maid outfit sexist? I'm sorry, but when did a french maid outfit become sexist? They've only existed for at least 100 years, and are still used today. How the hell is this game sexist? Females can get to level 10 in any career track, and receive the exact same salary as any male. This is why feminists are stupid and fail. It's not like this game has females locked in an invisible boundary within the kitchen, and attempting to walk out gives them a black eye. The entirety of this post would equivocate to an (as the internet calls it) EEEEEEEEEPIIIIIIIIIIIIC FAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLL

I did say I wouldn't post again but i'm sorry, this is just begging to be criticised.
    Okay snacky, french maid outfits ARE sexist! How would you like it if I said you had to dress in a thong for work? Sure, it would be hilarious, but not for you.
    The maid outfits imply that the maids are sex objects, and that IS sexist.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    youLOVEameliayouLOVEamelia Posts: 118 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Snacky wrote:
    Birdhive wrote:
    I am a feminist. It's not bad to be a feminist at all, and no woman should be ashamed to call herself one.

Things are sexist when they apply principles of inequality based on whether or not one is a male or a female. In real life, a male can take paternity leave, so it is sexist that a male cannot take paternity leave in the game. The corollary is also true: it is sexist that female sims then become the sim required to take parental leave. This is not an inflammatory statement; it's pretty clear-cut.

The maid outfit for female sims is indeed sexist. I think the male maids should wear short shorts in order to balance this inequity. Failing that, the female maids should wear a pants/button down combo as well. Another possibility would be to lower the skirt length of the female maid outfit.

To those people who insist that the sims is a game, a place for fantasy, and that the OP should deal and get over it I counter: why can the sims game not become the fantasy feminist paradise, where all are treated equally? It's as valid a gameplay strategy as any other.
    _ _
    °_°

Maid outfit sexist? I'm sorry, but when did a french maid outfit become sexist? They've only existed for at least 100 years, and are still used today. How the hell is this game sexist? Females can get to level 10 in any career track, and receive the exact same salary as any male. This is why feminists are stupid and fail. It's not like this game has females locked in an invisible boundary within the kitchen, and attempting to walk out gives them a black eye. The entirety of this post would equivocate to an (as the internet calls it) EEEEEEEEEPIIIIIIIIIIIIC FAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLL

I did say I wouldn't post again but i'm sorry, this is just begging to be criticised.
    Okay snacky, french maid outfits ARE sexist! How would you like it if I said you had to dress in a thong for work? Sure, it would be hilarious, but not for you.
    The maid outfits imply that the maids are sex objects, and that IS feminist.

I agree that Snacky was just waiting for a rebuttal, so I'll provide another.

"They've only existed for at least 100 years..." One hundred years ago, males were generally sexist. Even up to the fifties and sixties women were seen as only housewives and child bearers, so this doesn't make your point valid.

Let me add that one hundred years ago, they wouldn't be wearing dresses like that to work as a maid. Things were still greatly fueled by the Victorian age, which was generally speaking a very conservative time for women and their dress code.

Turning women into sexual objects is sexist. Period.

I'm not saying that EA is sexist or that The Sims 3 is sexist in its entirety. It's just part of society (a really ****** part of society) that women have to be sexy, thus the sexist feelings towards the maid outfit.
  • Options
    Agent_ZeroAgent_Zero Posts: 4,564 Member
    edited August 2009
    xxgreeboxx wrote:
    I agree, women in the game shouldn't be forced to take maternity leave. An ambitious workaholic who dislikes children would not want to wait until the baby was a toddler to return to work. Maternity leave is fine, but forcing it is one of my least favourite things about the game.

I don't think she should have children either.
  • Options
    Agent_ZeroAgent_Zero Posts: 4,564 Member
    edited August 2009
    Tenshi3 wrote:
    You sound like one of those feminists who thinks that the ***** should be removed 8)

Feminists DO NOT HAVE ANYTHING AGAINST MEN! We just think that it is unfair to have to be a stereotypical housewife. Why can't men stay at home? huh?

Plus, having to stay at home is so annoying in a female hier legacy!

What is wrong with being a stay-at-home mother? I too believe that men should have the option to stay at home, but it seems as though you find something wrong with the housewife idea.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Agent_Zero wrote:
    Tenshi3 wrote:
    You sound like one of those feminists who thinks that the ***** should be removed 8)

Feminists DO NOT HAVE ANYTHING AGAINST MEN! We just think that it is unfair to have to be a stereotypical housewife. Why can't men stay at home? huh?

Plus, having to stay at home is so annoying in a female hier legacy!

What is wrong with being a stay-at-home mother? I too believe that men should have the option to stay at home, but it seems as though you find something wrong with the housewife idea.

I don't. I just think it's wrong for it to have to be the only option.
    What I was saying was if you do the legacy challenge as a matriarchy, it makes it more difficult to complete the LTW's.
  • Options
    PabenPaben Posts: 5 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I wisely use that stay at home time to read the books and update my skills,sometimes that helps them progress faster then my men!I was a stay at home mom for 5 children,and they now have my morals and views instead of the babysitters!why have kids you don't want to take time for them anyway!ps. I have some good neighbor kids that call me Mom because i helped raise them!
  • Options
    SimberellaSimberella Posts: 139 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Birdhive wrote:

Well said. *Applauds*
  • Options
    SimberellaSimberella Posts: 139 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Snacky wrote:
    Snacky wrote:
    snagge wrote:
    Snacky wrote:
    I'm sorry, but being nice to feminists is not in my policy

OH MY GOD!!!
    reading this gets me so upset "being nice to feminists is not part of my policy"
    🐸🐸🐸🐸? do you even know what feminism is? Being 18 isn't being an adult, being 18 is still being very young and obviously you are younger than you can ever imagine.

You have no idea of what it's like being a woman in a mans world, trying to fight so you would at least get the same pay for the same job. Feminism means that we want equality between men and women. Both men and women can be feminists. Being a feminist doesn't mean you think women are better than men or that you hate all men. It simply stands for equal rights for everyone no matter what sex you have.

If you, in your narrow, ugly, horrible little world can't see this I hope you stay at home with your Sims 3 game and never leave the house. Because you seem to be an awful person and I wouldn't want my worst enemy to befriend an a.🐸🐸🐸🐸 like you.

PRO EQUALITY FOR ALL! NO MATTER WHAT GENDER, COLOUR OR SEXUAL ORIENTATION YOU HAVE (and if you think that there's no reason to be nice to me because I think this i hope you go to hell and burn there forever)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA.....

You really need to take a look at the world. I am a Caucasian Male. I have it worse than anyone in the world. Minorities and Women have it easy.

Why should I be nice to feminist when they rage on men for holding a door for them? Or for that matter, if they have to be treated just like men, why should I give them the kindness and respect I give a LADY?

If a woman acts like a WOMAN I shall treat her as one.

Okay, I soooo do not want to get into this. But I am saying one thing: Who is the world run by? Who are the politicians? Therefore, who has the overall advantage here as a result of life being tailored to them?

That's all I have to say. I really hope that if my post receives a response that it is a respectful one,, because I am not a feminist nor someone who wants to argue okay. But everyone, no matter who they are, deserves respect and does not deserve to be insulted or degraded in any way.

If you are a white male, you will have a harder life than anyone simply because: 1, Minorities can get you with the race card. 2, Women can get you with the sexist/sexual harassment card.

A white male cannot say anything without fear of being hit by one of those groups. We have it worse than anyone. In school, we're less likely to get a scholarship than a minority with the same, or slightly worse grades based on the fact that they're a minority. That Firefighter test that was thrown out because no minorities passed that was all over the news is a prime example. There is nothing harder than being a white male.

This has to be one of the most ignorant posts I have ever read on TS3 forum. You should be banned for even writing something so despicable and invalid. You are a fool and you should be ashamed of yourself for buying into that hideous crap you've written.
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,759 Member
    edited August 2009
    Snacky wrote:
    ONE MORE FOR THE ROAD!

In every line of work, there is usually a dress code for both men and women, both having to follow their dress code. IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO DRESS THAT WAY, DON'T TAKE THE FRIGGIN JOB, IT IS THAT SIMPLE!

Since I going to be a Offical Admin. when I gradute my mother told me that if a woman didn't want to wear a skirt they could wear slacks. So I think the sim women should have the same choice. A4L100 I was not talking about the maid's outfit. Look at what the the women have to wear in the Business/Political track in the game.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    bgirl1008bgirl1008 Posts: 77 New Member
    edited August 2009
    dang this forum goes ten pages anyway i totally agree the mom doesn't even have a choice that's kind of messed up.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Snacky wrote:
    Birdhive wrote:

_ _
    °_°

The maid outfits imply that the maids are sex objects, and that IS feminist.

I agree that Snacky was just waiting for a rebuttal, so I'll provide another.

"They've only existed for at least 100 years..." One hundred years ago, males were generally sexist. Even up to the fifties and sixties women were seen as only housewives and child bearers, so this doesn't make your point valid.

Let me add that one hundred years ago, they wouldn't be wearing dresses like that to work as a maid. Things were still greatly fueled by the Victorian age, which was generally speaking a very conservative time for women and their dress code.

Turning women into sexual objects is sexist. Period.

I'm not saying that EA is sexist or that The Sims 3 is sexist in its entirety. It's just part of society (a really ****** part of society) that women have to be sexy, thus the sexist feelings towards the maid outfit.

There is nothing but idiocy in every single response I've read.

You all act as if women have gotten the short end of the rope, and men somehow have it sooooo much better. Women treated as sex objects? HA! Do you know how much garbage we have to buy for women, and how many hoops we have to jump through to even get anything out of women? It's not like you're being abused.

"Oh, my boyfriend buys me flowers, and expensive jewelry, and helped my parents move and takes me to fancy restaurants, and carries my heavy bags of clothing when I go shopping, and even pays for them, and he wants to have sex with me! I'm so oppressed! All men are evil!"

Yeah, that just about covers everything. You're right. Men are disgusting vile untermenchen, and Women are the only civilized human beings on the planet. Men should be subservient to women because they're so awful.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, that just about covers everything. You're right. Men are disgusting vile untermenchen, and Women are the only civilized human beings on the planet. Men should be subservient to women because they're so awful.
    snacky

Best thing he's said in this whole forum! snacky, don't bother posting back, leave your posting on a high note. :lol:

Oh btw, I may sound obnoxious right now, but I'm only acting this way because of snacky so other men should know that I have nothing against them. :mrgreen:

• Options
    edited August 2009
    I never said that men were evil. I do believe that sexism can go both ways.

If you have to jump through hoops for a woman, I'm going to say that she's not the one for you. Women can be manipulative, but so can men. See, the whole thing I'm trying to express is that we are equal. Men shouldn't have to buy women gifts to make them happy. They should both want to get each other gifts because they want to, not because they have to.

I hate when people treat me like an idiot because I'm a feminist. I have my own opinion, which I do my best to base on facts (unlike your saying that women have been wearing maid outfits for 100 years). I'm not attacking men. I'm just saying that in the past men have had more rights than women. You can't deny it.

Snacky, you act like me saying that women are turned into sexual objects is something laugh about. It does happen. All the time, actually. And women play into it too by allowing themselves to be objectified.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Well said
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Well said
    Thanks =D
  • Options
    Josephine2362Josephine2362 Posts: 20 New Member
    edited August 2009
    PaganRiver wrote:
    Okay, look. Over the course of the Sims 2, they managed to gradually fix it so pregnant sims could actually go places, etc. They were also allowed to look for jobs, finally.

Now I discover in the new game that though pregnant sims can go anywhere they like, they cannot go to work for several days either before or AFTER the baby is born!! Come ON! I have a family with an unemployed relative who can take good care of the baby while mom tries to continue her career, but it won't let her go to work.

The end result -- the game is rigged so that it takes female sims sometimes MUCH longer to reach their career goals, if they do at all.

Seems blatantly sexist to me, even worse than TS2. At least the mom could go back to work -- she had the choice. Now she's not even given the CHOICE!

:x :x :x :x

In real life women take their pregnancy leaves , so it reasonable to enclude that in the gameplay. Plus if you feel like sims lifespan is too short you can alway add a few more day to the sims by eating "life fruit" or "ambrosisa"-- i dont know if i spell it correctly. :?
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I never said that men were evil. I do believe that sexism can go both ways.

If you have to jump through hoops for a woman, I'm going to say that she's not the one for you. Women can be manipulative, but so can men. See, the whole thing I'm trying to express is that we are equal. Men shouldn't have to buy women gifts to make them happy. They should both want to get each other gifts because they want to, not because they have to.

I hate when people treat me like an idiot because I'm a feminist. I have my own opinion, which I do my best to base on facts (unlike your saying that women have been wearing maid outfits for 100 years). I'm not attacking men. I'm just saying that in the past men have had more rights than women. You can't deny it.

Snacky, you act like me saying that women are turned into sexual objects is something laugh about. It does happen. All the time, actually. And women play into it too by allowing themselves to be objectified.

she right's since women didn't get more rights unter the mid-late 1800s.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    amakachaoamakachao Posts: 422 New Member
    edited August 2009
    why do you continue to feed the troll? let this thread die.
  • Options
    Sims3Fan214365Sims3Fan214365 Posts: 716 Member
    edited August 2009
    PaganRiver wrote:
    Okay, look. Over the course of the Sims 2, they managed to gradually fix it so pregnant sims could actually go places, etc. They were also allowed to look for jobs, finally.

Now I discover in the new game that though pregnant sims can go anywhere they like, they cannot go to work for several days either before or AFTER the baby is born!! Come ON! I have a family with an unemployed relative who can take good care of the baby while mom tries to continue her career, but it won't let her go to work.

The end result -- the game is rigged so that it takes female sims sometimes MUCH longer to reach their career goals, if they do at all.

Seems blatantly sexist to me, even worse than TS2. At least the mom could go back to work -- she had the choice. Now she's not even given the CHOICE!

:x :x :x :x

Okay thats true they could've made it 2 days after they have the baby they can go back to work or 1 day, but I mean come one! Its a GAME for crying out loud! Just have fun with it, why get so upset over something so silly. :?:
  • Options
    jimmy2shoes2009jimmy2shoes2009 Posts: 72 New Member
    edited August 2009
    amakachao wrote:
    why do you continue to feed the troll? let this thread die.

Well said only responsible simmers can put out a wild fire such as this one.
  • Options
    BoredguyBoredguy Posts: 842 New Member
    edited August 2009
    stop-posting.jpg
    edit: accidentaly used quote.
  • Options
    jimmy2shoes2009jimmy2shoes2009 Posts: 72 New Member
    edited August 2009
    The thread has run its course. I read most of the thread and to me its a pointless battle of the sexes. Were all created equally why can't we just put this as water under the bridge and move on.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    snacky

Best thing he's said in this whole forum! snacky, don't bother posting back, leave your posting on a high note. :lol:

Oh btw, I may sound obnoxious right now, but I'm only acting this way because of snacky so other men should know that I have nothing against them. :mrgreen:

Proof that sexist feminists are stupid and shouldn't be allowed into society, and you're talking to a Leninist. Lenin gave equality to all his people, regardless of race, gender, religion, or sexual orientation. Humanitarianism and Feminism are 2 different things, and until you get that through your head, you will continue to be nothing more than a sexist, which is what feminism is, and is as bad as racism.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Humanitarianism: he doctrine that humanity's obligations are concerned wholly with the welfare of the human race.
    b.the doctrine that humankind may become perfect without divine aid.

Feminism the doctrine advocating social, political, and all other rights of women equal to those of men.
    2. (sometimes initial capital letter) an organized movement for the attainment of such rights for women.
    3.feminine character.

sexist- pertaining to, involving, or fostering sexism: a sexist remark; sexist advertising.
    –noun
    2.a person with sexist attitudes or behavior.

Racist: belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
    2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
    3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

But we should be able to choose whether our sims women go back to work after giving birth/or choosing what work clothes our women should wear.
    6adMCGP.gif