Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Windows 7 Launcher won't run, can't install EPs

That's about the simplest I can cover the problem.

Basically, it works like this... the game has been running fine on Windows 98 (which I've had for years - obviously). I have all stuff packs, all expansion packs, and a good portion of the Sims 3 Store content. However, for college, I had to install Windows 7. Works great, lots faster - it's finally using all that extra memory 98 wouldn't even see. I upgraded the video card specifically for Sims 3, and I know it's on the "supported" list, the computer is fast enough, more than enough hard drive space, the operating system is a fresh install and updated, etc etc. I'm not exactly a novice computer user, and I've run through my entire bag of tricks here.

Sims won't run. Well, not exactly true. I've installed (IN ORDER) through Outdoor Living stuff, and then moved to Origin to install Generations. It says to update through launcher - but therein lies the issue. Every time I start the launcher it errors with a "this program has stopped working" error. So - I can't updated... so I can't install any sims store items, or Generations (which is a digital download, as are the ones after it). However, the game runs FINE if I start it up with the TS3.exe file. I've tried every fix I've found online - I don't have a cache, the game hasn't been played. I've completely uninstalled and reinstalled - same issue. I've tried running in virtually every compatibility mode I can think of, including administrator. I tried the DEP trick, no go.

I just want to be able to play Sims 3 again!! :(:cry: I'm downloading the 1.38 patch as we speak to try to manually install that, and see if that will help, but this launcher issue is going to send me to the asylum, I swear. Please... someone.. anyone.. help.

Oh, and yes, I've updated my drivers and etc. as far as I can tell, and no I am not running an anti-virus software at the moment - I just want sims 3 to work. I've been having to play Midieval (not that that's a bad thing) to get a minor Sims fix - but it's not the game I want to play! :(

Thrall

Comments

• Options
    YahtzamiYahtzami Posts: 6,301 Member
    edited September 2012
    Have you updated Origin itself? There is a new update. Not sure when it came out, but I just saw it this morning.
  • Options
    IllusoryThrallIllusoryThrall Posts: 1,335 Member
    edited September 2012
    Yes, that just ran a little bit ago. Installed fine, no issues. Again, I can play the game, I just can't run the launcher (which means I can't update).. which means I can install Generations or anything past it. This is a brand-new install of Sims 3, and I'm trying to install in order. Haven't had a single issue with Sims 3 until I had to go to Windows 7. :cry:
  • Options
    NichaedemusNichaedemus Posts: 16,905 Member
    edited September 2012
    Hi,

After you have manually updated the base game, are you able to run the launcher? If not, you can try out one of the following:

- Disconnect from the internet before running the launcher
    - End all Origin download manager processes before running the launcher
    When you need help with The Sims 3 or The Sims 4, be sure to check out the Master Help Thread today!
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Still waiting on manual update to download and run, but when it was installed the first try (before I tried an uninstall reinstall), it was updated to 1.38 patch and still the launcher didn't work.

Yes, I've run it with Origin running and logged in (without any downloads working).. will try with the internet disabled. (have about 25 minutes on manual update download, will try after that, and perhaps a walk in the cold rain... :roll: )

ran a dxdiag just to be sure, posting pertinent info. Also, running dual monitors (not that that matters, just a random comment in my frustration.
    System Information
    Time of this report: 9/22/2012, 21:10:33
    Machine name: WYLDHAWKE-PC
    Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120330-1504)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Dell Inc
    System Model: OptiPlex 740
    BIOS: )Phoenix - Award WorkstationBIOS v6.00PG
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3800+, ~2.4GHz
    Memory: 8192MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 3070MB RAM
    Page File: 1346MB used, 4792MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

DxDiag Notes
    Display Tab 1: No problems found.
    Display Tab 2: No problems found.
    Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
    Input Tab: No problems found.

Display Devices
    Card name: ASUS EAH6570 Series
    Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
    Chip type: ATI display adapter (0x6759)
    DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6759&SUBSYS_04031043&REV_00
    Display Memory: 2292 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 1013 MB
    Shared Memory: 1279 MB
    Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    The DXDiag report indicates that you are running Windows 7 32-bit, yet the amount of system RAM installed is 8192MB (8GB). Note that 32-bit Windows 7 will not be able to access the full 8GB memory range, whereas Windows 7 64-bit will be able to access the full 8GB memory range.
    When you need help with The Sims 3 or The Sims 4, be sure to check out the Master Help Thread today!
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Yea, I know about the 32 vs 64 bit thing. Right now I'm just tryin to fix sims :) Manual update didn't help.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Alright: here's the status report. It still doesn't work. Sortof. I have everything installed now at least, all the way up to supernatural, and the game runs just fine if I bypass the launcher - which is really not an option I like, for the simple reason I've spent an awful lot of money on store content and limited edition games that I'd like to be able to use. (can't install downloads if I can't use the launcher.. can't really even install game updates either..)

That being said, the launcher WILL work and stay running if I have my internet connection completely disabled. With the connection re-enabled, it immediately tries to load the log-in blocks and stuff and promptly crashes. Sooo... where I go from there, I don't know. :(

Back to the "I desperately need more knowledgeable help" stage... cuz I've run out of ideas at this point (other than throwing the computer off the balcony :twisted: - great for frustration relief, not so great on an expensive machine... :roll:
  • Options
    SmokyTopazSmokyTopaz Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited September 2012
    I installed Supernatural last week.... with every mod removed,then updated Origin and when I went to open the launcher I got an application failed to run report. So I uninstalled Supernatural. Did a system restore to clean up.... and got the launcher back all working. The I updated origin for some unknown reason and the launcher fails again.

So the problem lies in origins update. And, no, Norton has not quarentined it.

ok ea..... fix needed here, cause this is not just me. I will bookmark this thread and await answers.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    This is the list of error reports I get when I try to open the launcher

1. DSUpd.exe
    2. IAStoriIcon.exe
    3. DataSafeOnline.exe
    4. THXAudio.exe
    5. Sim3LauncherW.exe

all requesting a click to exit the application. I can open the game from the ts3ep link in programmes...... iot the launcher that is failing or origin.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Given that you are able to run the launcher successfully while disconnected from the internet, does the launcher continue to run once an internet connection is re-established? If you have not done so already, it may help to clear your internet browser cache and Windows temp files before running the launcher:

How do I clear my browser's cache?
    https://help.ea.com/article/clearing-your-browsers-cache

How do I clear my Temporary Files?
    https://help.ea.com/article/clearing-your-temporary-files

As an alternative to using the launcher, you can use the in-game Shop Mode to download and install your Store content. For more details, please refer to the following link:

http://www.thesims3.com/contentDetail.html?contentId=211983
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    One thing about sims3 is that I have been forced to learn rather more about my computer than I truly wished.

Of course I have cleared caches, temporary files etc. I have almost every single ep sp going. However .... now my launcher fails. Since I updated Origin. No launcher means no downloads in sims.pack form. ie store, or exchange or indeed new eps. Most of the other stuff I dl is in .package form, which whisk in and out of the game at will.

Why is the launcher failing? And no it does not run with internet diconnected. It doesn't run at all.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    As an answer to your question, Nichaedemus, no, it doesn't run once I re-establish connection - it errors immediately and forces me to exit. All cache and temp files cleared, it does the same thing.

I actually spent most the morning on the phone with EA tech support, and they ran me through several obscure fixes - none of which made any difference. Sigh. I have, however, managed to install all expansions, and with turning off the internet, I copied over my old save files (the tech okayed doing this) and then was able to use the non-connected launcher to at least install the files I have from my backup - which was a relief. It appears that my backup saves and such all work okay, just not having the launcher drives me buggy. I can still play the game by bypassing it, although I'm not sure how the chat and sharing things will work with the connectivity .. haven't tried it, I had a major college paper due this evening. I will be trying it in a bit now that the week's work is done and I just get to sit and wait for the grades. :roll: Was hard to concentrate with being worried about Sims - how sad is that.

I'll have to try the in-game shop mode, but I think the install I ran on my old downloads with the disconnected launcher will work (I hope)

As a further note, I managed to confuse the entire EA help call center - including the supervisors - this morning. None of the fixes they know of did anything, so I got my case "escalated" to the upper level techs. More waiting for emails... but at least I think I can play the game now if I bypass the launcher. :(