Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Inappropriate clothing?

I don't know if this is the right place for it, but..

Most of the game generated sims end up wearing inappropriate clothing. I think store content just gets categorized wrong.

I'll have sims show up at a formal event wearing clothes from the Swim, Surf, Sand collection, for example. Or I had a sim age up and his casual outfit had speedo bottoms paired with a sweater.

Is this a known bug? If so, is there a fix (that doesn't include mods)?

Thanks!

L
"This game lends itself to certain abuses." - Calvin

Comments

• Options
    shogunfishshogunfish Posts: 10,167 Member
    edited June 2012
    I think randomly generated sims just wear random things. its not a bug, its just that they don't have a section for "funeral clothing" they just show up in what they are wearing. If the Swin, Surf, Sand clothing is catagorized in Everyday or Formal (which I think it is. I think that's the point of the set. They can wear swimsuits everywhere, and stuff) then sim can be generated to wear it.
    tumblr_mvnzkbN6yD1ric1guo1_1280.png
  • Options
    katana_xkatana_x Posts: 1,163 New Member
    edited June 2012
    There are a few things that could be wrong: if it's the career outfit that's freaking out, just go in and give them a second career outfit. This is a known bug.

If the Sims in question don't have the Insane trait and it's not a career outfit issue, it's probably just an issue of badly categorized clothing. A lot of the Store stuff has terrible categorization, especially older stuff (swim flippers, pirate clothes, Pets Origin preorder outfits, all kinds of goofy stuff is ticked for categories it shouldn't be, especially validforrandom).

Other than manually changing each Sim's clothes, your only option is mods.

Clothing categories are determined by a part of the file called the CASP. Properly made recategorizing mods are just overriding CASP's with different boxes ticked or unticked (like formal, sleep, random etc). Modded CASP's are pretty much as simple as a mod can get, so unless you're opposed to any and all mods, they're worth it.
  • Options
    LadyLaFleurLadyLaFleur Posts: 2,185 Member
    edited June 2012
    It's definitely not the insane trait that causes it. :)

I think it's the swim flippers and pirate hat that drives me the most crazy :P

Honestly, I'm not totally opposed to mods, I just assumed that they didn't have any for Mac users and haven't even looked. I know the Overwatch mod only comes as an .exe so...
    "This game lends itself to certain abuses." - Calvin
  • Options
    TheMomminatorTheMomminator Posts: 4,215 Member
    edited June 2012
    If it is a bug, I hope they never fix it. Laughing over what the townies are wearing is one of my favorite passtime. I love to throw formal or swimwear parties just for that purpose.
  • Options
    katana_xkatana_x Posts: 1,163 New Member
    edited June 2012
    Honestly, I'm not totally opposed to mods, I just assumed that they didn't have any for Mac users and haven't even looked. I know the Overwatch mod only comes as an .exe so...

Overwatch isn't an exe. It's a package like virtually every other mod. The only things that should come in an exe are programs and installations (that's why it's an "executable"). Mods just edit or add to the files that the game can read, and as such are almost always in package format. You'll run into INI's and such every now and then, but most have been updated to packages. Most mods should work for Macs, although I do understand your hesitation.

Kissing_toast/Omegastarr has a no-randoms mod for some of the particularly annoying store content, here. Like I said, it's a very simple mod and all it does it stop some stuff from appearing randomly, and fix a bit of no-pregnant-mesh-but-enabled-for-pregnancy-anyway stupidity. I'm also currently working on my own store recategorization project; it'll take a while, though, because it's several thousand items.
  • Options
    MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    edited June 2012
    If it is a bug, I hope they never fix it. Laughing over what the townies are wearing is one of my favorite passtime. I love to throw formal or swimwear parties just for that purpose.
    I can identify with this! ;) :P
  • Options
    daciasildaciasil Posts: 58 Member
    edited June 2012
    You can also try Twallan's dresser mod and install the invalid parts tuning. Basically it will stop newly spawned NPCs and sims from having silly outfits. You'll have to specify which outfits are considered silly and are banned from random use. It's a little involved, but once you figure out how to do it your townies will look more normal.

All of Twallan's mods are .package extensions, including the dresser and the invalid parts tuning package. I think the only exception is the STBL creator, but you will never need to use that.
  • Options
    sunshineandsimoleonssunshineandsimoleons Posts: 8,413 Member
    edited June 2012
    It's definitely not the insane trait that causes it. :)

I think it's the swim flippers and pirate hat that drives me the most crazy :P

I'm on a macbook & have 5 mods, including overwatch. :wink:
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Options
    bklienhartbklienhart Posts: 2,975 Member
    edited June 2012
    If you have Ambitions, just buy the makeover mirror, and give them makeovers.

And if you don't have Ambitions, turn on testingcheatsenabled true and shift-click on them to Edit in CAS.